So...my gpu outlived my PS4 XD #ripconsoles

• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Good day, ladies ) Let's homage my stock gtx 780 which outlived my PS4 lol Who would think that gpus will start outlivin consoles.

Released in May 2013, at 550 USD, this 3 GB GDDR5 card, if overclocked with MSI tools, still produces GTX970-level performance in most games. This video card gave me three whole years of top notch 1440p gaming unlike my PS4 that struggles with 1080p and 30 fps LOL

In general, this video card with its big over clocking margin ( silent, temperature arround 60 - 70 C under load ) plays games fully maxed at 1080p and 60 fps, or at high settings at 1440p (2k resolution).

My peasant PS4, which was released later than Gtx780 in Nov 2013, can't even dream of a similar performance lol

Now I am planning to replace my 3-year old gtx780 as soon as Pascal or Polaris gpus are released, but I easily could squeeze an additional year out of it as it is still capable of fighting back if I werent a PC enthusiast and money weren't burning my poket.

So basically my gpu outlived my console, which is somewhat hilarious. PS4 was my worst investment this Gen hands down that took 400 bucks from me, but only gave Bloodborne in return so far. My gpu though was worth EVERY PENNY.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Why do you compare a single graphic card that outprices the PS4?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@MonsieurX: Because other pc components usually have larger life spans. CPU, motherboard or RAM can easily last for 4-6 years, only requiring a gpu change.

Today's PS4 cpu still can't beat a 2010s i7 2500k performance

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

@MonsieurX: Because other pc components usually have larger life spans. CPU, motherboard or RAM can easily last for 4-6 years, only requiring a gpu change.

Yet 2500k + GTX 780 = twice the price of the PS4.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@jhonMalcovich said:

For more than twice the value in usage, I'd say that's a fair deal.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@MonsieurX: And twice the performance too ) which was translated in more fps and 2k resolution. Fair deal if you ask me, dollar per performance wise.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

Good day, ladies ) Let's homage my stock gtx 780 which outlived my PS4 lol Who would think that gpus will start outlivin consoles.

Released in May 2013, at 550 USD, this 3 GB GDDR5 card, if overclocked with MSI tools, still produces GTX970-level performance in most games. This video card gave me three whole years of top notch 1440p gaming unlike my PS4 that struggles with 1080p and 30 fps LOL

In general, this video card with its big over clocking margin ( silent, temperature arround 60 - 70 C under load ) plays games fully maxed at 1080p and 60 fps, or at high settings at 1440p (2k resolution).

My peasant PS4, which was as released later than Gtx780 in Nov 2013, can't even dream of a similar performance lol

Now I am planning to replace my 3-year old gtx780 as soon as Pascal or Polaris gpus are released, but I easily could squeeze an additional year out of it as it is still capable of fighting back if I werent a PC enthusiast and money weren't burning my poket.

So basically my gpu outlived my console, which is somewhat hilarious. PS4 was my worst investment this Gen hands down that took 400 backs from me, but only gave Bloodborne in return so far. My gpu though was worth EVERY PENNY.

Did your PS4 stop playing games? Why do you keep saying outlived?

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vvulturas
Member since 2015 • 1249 Posts

The "XD" burns.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@emgesp: WHAT GAMES, dude ))) Come on. I have 330 games for PC in total, and only Bloodborn and Uncharted Remastered for PS4. In October, PS4 will be replaced. So yeh, after Uncharted 4 and a few ohers, this is it - RIP PS4.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

How do you think your GPU will fare running Uncharted 4? After all this time as an (alleged) gamer you still have absolutely no clue what the point of owning a PC AND a console is. You've just exposed yourself as yet another clown who has zero interest in gaming and only cares about the components in the metal things in his room which (apparently) also happen to run games.

Your opinions on anything gaming related are completely irrelevant.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@blueinheaven: Dude, this single component gave me 3 years of happiness of maxing games without headaches of 30 fps ))) Show a bit of respect to this piece of a component, son ; )

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@jhonMalcovich: Did your PS4 die?

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I don't doubt if you built a high end PC in 2011 or 2012 it'd still be running games just fine and probably better than the consoles.

But the consoles being weak is old news.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blueinheaven

@jhonMalcovich said:

@blueinheaven: Dude, this single component gave me 3 years of happiness of maxing games without headaches of 30 fps ))) Show a bit of respect to this piece of a component, son ; )

You're going to need a bigger shovel for that massive hole you're digging. Any decent GPU on PC would give you that performance, so what? That's why people play games on PC. It doesn't alter the fact your ONLY concern is tech, games don't even come into it for you, typical of the modern PC gamer who gives not a shit about games, only the pieces of metal in his metal box.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

You're less than 1%.

Don't exaggerate.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

remind me please

What GPU took to match the 360 in 2005?

@blueinheaven said:
@jhonMalcovich said:

You're going to need a bigger shovel for that massive hole you're digging. Any decent GPU on PC would give you that performance, so what? That's why people play games on PC. It doesn't alter the fact your ONLY concern is tech, games don't even come into it for you, typical of the modern PC gamer who gives not a shit about games, only the pieces of metal in his metal box.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By emgesp

@jhonMalcovich said:

@emgesp: WHAT GAMES, dude ))) Come on. I have 330 games for PC in total, and only Bloodborn and Uncharted Remastered for PS4. In October, PS4 will be replaced. So yeh, after Uncharted 4 and a few ohers, this is it - RIP PS4.

Why did you even buy a PS4 in the first place? Why didn't you just wait until it had enough 1st party games that interested you before you bought one? That's the benefit of owning a PC is that you can wait to purchase a console.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70240 Posts

The PS4 is dead with the upcoming PS4K. Sony abandon the system so start tossing your PS4 now that they are obsolete plastic.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By emgesp

@Pedro said:

The PS4 is dead with the upcoming PS4K. Sony abandon the system so start tossing your PS4 now that they are obsolete plastic.

Until the OG PS4 stops playing newer games it isn't obsolete. That's like saying anyone with a video card weaker than a GTX 980 TI should just toss out their PC's, because they are all obsolete now.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

all my PC components have outlived the ps4 also. And probably are still good for another 5+ years. My cpu won't be outdated for ages unless intel and amd actually make something groundbreaking instead of tiny improvements.

The ps4 neo will be the same story, its only got small improvements, a few hundred mhz on an amd cpu is laughable gains im sorry to say. If they had put in an i7 intel cpu and a decent gpu, that console would last for a long time.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56347 Posts

Comparing PS4 to a PC is like comparing apples & oranges.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@True_Gamer_ said:

remind me please

What GPU took to match the 360 in 2005?

MS bought ATi's architecture based on their R520 chip however using prototype unified shader design allowing gpu not to be static in its processor usage in vertex and shader jobs.

There was nothing as advanced as the 360 gpu was in 2005 however there were gpus that could match its performance in non shader intensive games.

Actually because of the devs having no idea how to fully utilize the 360's hardware Geforce 6's and ATi's X1800's matched and out did the 360 in multiplats. By late 2006 it was all over for the 360 gpu being outclassed by 8800 series

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70240 Posts

@emgesp said:
@Pedro said:

Until the OG PS4 stops playing newer games it isn't obsolete. That's like saying anyone with a video card weaker than a GTX 980 TI should just toss out their PC's, because they are all obsolete now.

You would right if this was PC but its consoles. According to your logic the all functioning consoles are not obsolete.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blueinheaven

@emgesp said:
@Pedro said:

The PS4 won't become obsolete but it's starting to look like the Neo will play games at the performance that everyone expected from the PS4 when it was released so there will be a lot of pissed off people around.

Not sure why you chose the 980ti as a similar example on PC the 970 will play any game maxxed out 60fps in 1080p. 980ti is good for 1440p but I'm still not sure how many people are playing at that res on PC and for 4K you need a Titan or wait for the new gen of cards around the corner now.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emgesp

@Pedro said:
@emgesp said:
@Pedro said:

You would right if this was PC but its consoles. According to your logic the all functioning consoles are not obsolete.

A new decent GPU costs around the same price of a new console. Point is just because something new hits the market doesn't necessarily mean products that have already been on the market for some time become obsolete.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 emgesp

@blueinheaven said:
@emgesp said:
@Pedro said:

The PS4 won't become obsolete but it's starting to look like the Neo will play games at the performance that everyone expected from the PS4 when it was released so there will be a lot of pissed off people around.

Not sure why you chose the 980ti as a similar example on PC the 970 will play any game maxxed out 60fps in 1080p. 980ti is good for 1440p but I'm still not sure how many people are playing at that res on PC and for 4K you need a Titan or wait for the new gen of cards around the corner now.

Why would people be pissed off? The PS4 Neo has a better GPU, so of course its going to play the same games with better performance/visual effects.

The only people I can see being pissed off are those with an inferiority complex. Not gonna be an issue with me as I'll gladly upgrade.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mr_Huggles_dog

@GarGx1: for someone who's telling me not to exaggerate in another thread you sure are acting like PS4's constantly break.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blueinheaven

@emgesp said:
@blueinheaven said:
@emgesp said:
@Pedro said:

Why would people be pissed off? The PS4 Neo has a better GPU, so of course its going to play the same games with better performance/visual effects.

The only people I can see being pissed off are those with an inferiority complex. Not gonna be an issue with me as I'll gladly upgrade.

The selling point for PS4 and Xbox One was games in 1080p the next generation of graphics performance on console. Both of them have struggled to release games that run acceptably at that res, Xbox One has even released stuff at lower res because the damn thing nearly blows up at 1080p for games with high quality graphics. Yeah, people will be pissed off.

Not me, I'll still buy a Neo, and not you, but a lot of people will think this is what you promised at the launch of PS4, you lied, and they're right to think that. I don't know where you got 'inferiority complex' from. It sounds like you have a bit of a superiority complex just because you can afford things other people can't which says a lot more about you than it does about them.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

That GPU can last till the end of this gen which would be like 8-9 years of lifespan ....bu...bbu....but you gotta upgrade PC every 2years.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GarGx1

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@GarGx1: for someone who's telling me not to exaggerate in another thread you sure are acting like PS4's constantly break.

I didn't say that at all, I'm fairly certain I said that getting more than twice the value from hardware that cost twice the price was a fair trade. I didn't infer anything else but if you want to read more into it than that, feel free.

Oddly enough I was going to reply to your 1% statement but didn't because I realised it was bait. By the looks of things so did everyone else.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#31 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Bu bu bu but console optimization. Told them this gen is going to be different Even now 750ti easily outclasses Consoles in multiplats that are coded well. Both consoles have PC architecture, devs are familiar with it, so they've already pushed them to their limits. No hidden sauce here.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Can't you herms praise your cards without sounding stupid?

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

It is kinda funny isn't it. I feel like all of this was predicted

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

The neo if the specs are right is almost gtx 970 power for 400 bucks. It will also have a 4k blu-ray player and that is 400 alone. say what you want but the neo will crush 90 percent of gaming pc's on steam for 400 bucks.

If that's not great value IYO your the donkey of the day.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

jhonMalcovich said:

My peasant PS4, which was as released later than Gtx780 in Nov 2013, can't even dream of a similar performance lol

Now I am planning to replace my 3-year old gtx780 as soon as Pascal or Polaris gpus are released,

So basically my gpu outlived my console. PS4 was my worst investment this Gen hands down that took 400 bucks from me, but only gave Bloodborne in return so far.

@Juub1990 said:

jhonMalcovich: Did your PS4 die?

emgesp said:

I'm thinking English isn't the TC's native language since he's using outlived incorrectly.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@GarGx1: sorry....I misunderstood the context of what you said.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GarGx1

@mr_huggles_dog: No worries mate

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

@SolidTy said:
jhonMalcovich said:

Now I am planning to replace my 3-year old gtx780 as soon as Pascal or Polaris gpus are released,

So basically my gpu outlived my console. PS4 was my worst investment this Gen hands down that took 400 bucks from me, but only gave Bloodborne in return so far.

@Juub1990 said:

jhonMalcovich: Did your PS4 die?

emgesp said:

I'm thinking English isn't the TC's native language since he's using outlived incorrectly.

I guess the 900+ games for PS4 dont appeal to everyone.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GarGx1

@no-scope-AK47 said:

The neo if the specs are right is almost gtx 970 power for 400 bucks. It will also have a 4k blu-ray player and that is 400 alone. say what you want but the neo will crush 90 percent of gaming pc's on steam for 400 bucks.

Do you honestly believe Sony are going to go from a unit that's selling like hotcakes and making them cold hard cash from every single one to trying to convince their fan base. which let's be honest is largely younger gamers without their own income, to fork out for another new console and take a massive loss for each unit sold at the same time. That would be complete commercial suicide.

The hardware levels people are speculating that the Neo will have are about as realistic as a manned expedition to Mars leaving this year is. As you said an UHD Blue Ray player alone is $400 without it getting a $350 GPU as well.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@no-scope-AK47 said:

Do you honestly believe Sony are going to go from a unit that's selling like hotcakes and making them cold hard cash from every single one to trying to convince their fan base. which let's be honest is largely younger gamers without their own income, to fork out for another new console and take a massive loss for each unit sold at the same time. That would be complete commercial suicide.

The hardware levels people are speculating that the Neo will have are about as realistic as a manned expedition to Mars leaving this year is. As you said an UHD Blue Ray player alone is $400 without it getting a $350 GPU as well.

I have my doubts on the leaked specs but if they are legit I will be fighting to get into the store to buy one.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

It is hilarious as the PS4 will be alive in 2023 and your 780 would be dust,just like the PS3 still here getting games and the 7800gts is long gone..lol

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jhonMalcovich

@tormentos said:

It is hilarious as the PS4 will be alive in 2023 and your 780 would be dust,just like the PS3 still here getting games and the 7800gts is long gone..lol

Sure buddy I still have a working Pentium 3 600mhz with an nvidia 4000 mx lying around lol. I will probably put my gtx 780 into my mom's desktop so it can still live on.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@tormentos said:

It's hilarious that you believe that the PS4 will be relevant by the time new consoles hit in 2023

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@MonsieurX said:
@jhonMalcovich said:

For more than twice the value in usage, I'd say that's a fair deal.

Lolno. A CPU and GPU isn't twice as useful as a PS4. Those two parts alone can't play any games, the PS4 can. You need a mobo, ram, PSU, a case, a HDD and to be able to actually match all the functions of the PS4 you'd also need a blu ray player. At the end you'll be closer to 3 PS4s, or actually 4 PS4s because on sale they're around the $300 mark.

Then you have to add the fact that that PC won't cut it for long, especially when the Neo hits stores, which will hopefully mean better graphics for everyone and thus also higher system requirements.

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@emgesp said:
@Pedro said:

Are you sure about that? GTA V with everything maxed? Witcher 3 maxed? Batman AK maxed? All those crappy Ubisoft ports?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 emgesp
@blueinheaven said:
@emgesp said:
@blueinheaven said:
@emgesp said:

The selling point for PS4 and Xbox One was games in 1080p the next generation of graphics performance on console. Both of them have struggled to release games that run acceptably at that res, Xbox One has even released stuff at lower res because the damn thing nearly blows up at 1080p for games with high quality graphics. Yeah, people will be pissed off.

Not me, I'll still buy a Neo, and not you, but a lot of people will think this is what you promised at the launch of PS4, you lied, and they're right to think that. I don't know where you got 'inferiority complex' from. It sounds like you have a bit of a superiority complex just because you can afford things other people can't which says a lot more about you than it does about them.

Being pissed off because someone else is going to get a more superior experience makes you have a inferiority complex.

If people can't afford to spend $399.99 every 3 - 4 yrs then maybe they should take up a cheaper hobby.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

@davillain- said:

Comparing PS4 to a PC is like comparing apples & oranges.

apples taste better

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tormentos

@jhonMalcovich said:
@tormentos said:

Sure buddy I still have a working Pentium 3 600mhz with an nvidia 4000 mx lying around lol. I will probably put my gtx 780 into my mom's desktop so it can still live on.

Yes and have you try to run COD 4 on that pentium 3 with a 4000 Nvidia card.? Hahahaaa

So basically you are bitter because Neo made your 780 obsolete,all of the sudden you feel the need to upgrade your $500 GPU you bough not even 3 full years ago..lol

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tormentos

@FireEmblem_Man said:

It's hilarious that you believe that the PS4 will be relevant by the time new consoles hit in 2023

No the hilarious part is how you assume that,i never say it would be relevant i say it would be alive..lol

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts
@shawty_beatz said:
@blueinheaven said:
@emgesp said:
@Pedro said:

Are you sure about that? GTA V with everything maxed? Witcher 3 maxed? Batman AK maxed? All those crappy Ubisoft ports?

I can't speak for all of them, but no, it will not play TW3 with everything maxed at 1080p 60fps. Not "literally". It will play TW3 with most-but-not-all things maxed at 1080p 50-60fps give or take. It's really at the cusp (at best) of where you could make blueinheaven's claim... at least as far as TW3 is concerned. Generally runs smooth as butter (e.g. 60), but it's definitely at the threshold where it's necessary to lower a few strategically identified things a notch to hit 60 fairly constantly (and definitely NO hairworks or you can say hello to 30fps real fast). TW3 is a beast, though - many "lesser" games do run easily on that card (it's a good card; happy customer)