So lets say, hypothetically, QOL IS Nintendo's exit

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Okay, QOL, we know that's a thing and Nintendo showed slides of what it is recently. As we all know, Nintendo stated that this is a side project, but some hardly believe this is true and see this as Iwata's plan to have Nintendo exit from games like the Yamauchi family did their previous works when they ran things.

So say the latter ends up being true and this DOES become Nintendo's exit from games like their previous exits from previous industries, no matter how successful such as their starting Hanafuda card business. How would you feel really, especially if you haven't been at the least impressed with Nintendo as of late (pick a console/handheld or date, it matters not) if they ran from games rather than continue in another path?

I probably wouldn't buy them, but I'd wish them luck in their new goals if it's the better way (and I think it is and that's only if worse comes to worse, for obvious reasons).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

This is so tangentially SW related...

But fine, let's let that slide and answer your questions:

• It's not Nintendo's exit, it's a small side project
  • If Nintendo were to exit the games market, then I wouldn't just follow them blindly. I would only buy from them if they offered products I want, so far, QoL is not something I want. If one day they were to offer something suited for my needs, I'd go for it.

Still a remarkably pointless thread though.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nintendoboy16

@charizard1605 said:

• If Nintendo were to exit the games market, then I wouldn't just follow them blindly. I would only buy from them if they offered products I want, so far, QoL is not something I want. If one day they were to offer something suited for my needs, I'd go for it.

Maybe not now, but who's to say it won't evolve into that overtime? There's a reason some people don't buy into PR. I may not have agreed with some users here on their views, but in the case of QOL, I don't blame them for having such fears.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Maybe not now, but who's to say it won't evolve into that overtime? There's a reason some people don't buy into PR.

I mean, you're literally talking about baseless, purely speculative counterfactuals that are entirely unlikely to happen. How can I counter any of that?

You're right, who's to say that over time, it won't evolve into Nintendo's exit? Who's to say that Mac won't become the dominant computer OS in the next five years? Who's to say I won't be the president of the United States in twenty years?

It all could happen, so by the same logic that motivated this thread, it's all worth a discussion, right?

gfxpipeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 gfxpipeline
Member since 2014 • 543 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Okay, QOL, we know that's a thing and Nintendo showed slides of what it is recently. As we all know, Nintendo stated that this is a side project, but some hardly believe this is true and see this as Iwata's plan to have Nintendo exit from games like the Yamauchi family did their previous works when they ran things.

If there was any truth to what you are stating there would be increasingly large numbers of departures from game development staff from both Nintendo corporate itself and its first party developers.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nintendoboy16

@charizard1605 said:

I mean, you're literally talking about baseless, purely speculative counterfactuals that are entirely unlikely to happen. How can I counter any of that?

You're right, who's to say that over time, it won't evolve into Nintendo's exit? Who's to say that Mac won't become the dominant computer OS in the next five years? Who's to say I won't be the president of the United States in twenty years?

It all could happen, so by the same logic that motivated this thread, it's all worth a discussion, right?

Well, when you consider that this is the same company that refused to believe people wanted online before they added that with the DS and Wii,

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Well, when you consider that this is the same company that refused to believe people wanted online before they added that with the DS and Wii,

Which has what to do with the topic on hand?

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts

I would see it as a defeatist attitude, like they can't compete on Sony/MS's level so they gotta retreat into their own corner doing their own little thing, kinda like the short stocky kid that wants to be an NBA player but gets laughed at and dismissed by the college basketball players.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nintendoboy16

@gfxpipeline said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

If there was any truth to what you are stating there would be increasingly large numbers of departures from game development staff from both Nintendo corporate itself and its first party developers.

I don't follow. Do you think this QOL thing is a lie?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#10 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Quality of Life is just part of that other Division Nintendo was thinking of moving into (The Health department).

It's really just Them expanding on the WiiFit + Pedometer side of things. Wouldn't be surprised to find the Vitality Sensor come back from the gave with this Quality of Life.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nintendoboy16

@charizard1605 said:

That Nintendo isn't consistent, which is what I kind of mentioned when noting that some people don't believe that it's a "side project"? That's part of the reason I asked this in the first place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

That Nintendo isn't consistent, which is what I kind of mentioned when noting that some people don't believe that it's a "side project"? That's part of the reason I asked this in the first place.

That has nothing to do with consistency. They believed online wasn't important, got their ass handed to them in that arena, and started taking it a bit more seriously. Even then, Nintendo still treats online as throwaway, even now.

That aside, you are talking about lack of consistency in how the company treats market conditions. That literally has nothing to do with them changing their entire corporate identity and re-orienting themselves by entering an altogether new market that has nothing to do with the one they are in currently.

gfxpipeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 gfxpipeline
Member since 2014 • 543 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@gfxpipeline said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

I don't follow. Do you think this QOL thing is a lie?

A console maker abandoning the console market is not something you can hide from thousands of employees.

Console design and planning starts immediately after a company's previous console hits the market. Nintendo employees would know now if Nintendo had nothing in the works to follow the Wii U. More and more of them would start to leave Nintendo knowing that they have no future in the company in the coming years. Not everyone all at once, but there would be enough that it would be obvious some dramatic change is going on inside Nintendo.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

What is QoL? I read the entire page and I'm still confused

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendoboy16

@farrell2k said:

Why would nitnendo exit gaming? They have the most valuable IPs in the business.

They left their previous businesses. Don't act like this may not happen with games.

@gfxpipeline said:

A console maker abandoning the console market is not something you can hide from thousands of employees.

Console design and planning starts immediately after a company's previous console hits the market. Nintendo employees would know now if Nintendo had nothing in the works to follow the Wii U. More and more of them would start to leave Nintendo knowing that they have no future in the company in the coming years. Not everyone all at once, but there would be enough that it would be obvious some dramatic change is going on inside Nintendo.

Well, it wouldn't make much sense to do something like that in it's infancy as a smaller project, now would it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Quality of Life is just part of that other Division Nintendo was thinking of moving into (The Health department).

It's really just Them expanding on the WiiFit + Pedometer side of things. Wouldn't be surprised to find the Vitality Sensor come back from the gave with this Quality of Life.

Not even that, I expect this to be nothing more than a safety net for them. Nintendo (rightly) got spooked by the failure of the Wii U and 3DS, and believes it shouldn't have all its eggs in the same basket. I think they are right.

@gfxpipeline said:

This is true as well- if Nintendo had decided to so drastically re-orient itself, we would see more and more employees leaving, and more and more hires from employees from the health and tech industry, as well as announcements of major corporate partnerships, patent and trademark filings, and so on. Literally none of this has happened yet.

@farrell2k said:

Why would nitnendo exit gaming? They have the most valuable IPs in the business.

This as well. Nintendo makes so much money from gaming (more than they ever did as a Hanafuda card maker, btw, since that's the analogy you are so bent on using)- they make billions of dollars and are literally a household name worldwide. Explain to me why they would leave the business entirely, exactly?

@funsohng said:

A series of side ventures from Nintendo that are basically health tracking initiatives. The first one is a sleep monitoring device of some sort. It's something Nintendo is trying as a safety net, so that all their profits and losses aren't so dependent on the success or failure of one (or two) product(s).

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nintendoboy16

@funsohng said:

QoL = Quality of Life

Essentially Nintendo trying to get into health products as a side business. This sleep sensor is part of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

@farrell2k said:

They left their previous businesses. Don't act like this may not happen with games.

@gfxpipeline said:

Well, it wouldn't make much sense to do something like that in it's infancy as a smaller project, now would it?

You are making literally no sense. Nintendo in its previous businesses was a cottage industry company run by a family with no corporate structure and minuscule revenues. Nintendo now is a multinational, multicontinental operation with billions of dollars in revenues, publicly traded, run by a board of directors, and a firm corporate identity. What a small, family business did or did not do before literally has no bearing on what Nintendo, a proper corporation today, would do.

As for the second point- in its infancy is where you would see most of the departures and hirings. In its infancy is when Nintendo would start to cut down on its games related staff, and start hiring people from other industries, so that they could design a proper product for the new industry that they are entering, and not enter it with a bust.

You are making no sense, and honestly, it sounds like you want to believe Nintendo is going to exit the industry, based on nothing but a completely irrational and baseless idea that you may have had. Your idea makes no sense. Under the corporate structure of Nintendo, it makes no sense. Under a financial perspective, it makes no sense. Under any umbrella imaginable, it makes no sense.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

nintendoboy, either I never paid enough attention to your posts before, or you are really just off your rocker today.

Really man, wtf.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

People actually believe that its Iwatas exit strategy? I've never seen anyone say it as you claim, let alone many. Except for trolls, and even then I'm sure they're just messing around.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nintendoboy16

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

People actually believe that its Iwatas exit strategy? I've never seen anyone say it as you claim, let alone many. Except for trolls, and even then I'm sure they're just messing around.

Well, there's at least a couple who said it in speak_low's thread where they revealed a product from this plan. Mind you, one of those users admitted to being a Nintendo fan in previous threads, despite consistent criticism of their actions to the point of not buying their products new.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

Well, there's at least a couple who said it in speak_low's thread where they revealed a product from this plan. Mind you, one of those users admitted to being a Nintendo fan in previous threads, despite consistent criticism of their actions to the point of not buying their products new.

So you literally made an entire thread based on what speak_low says, and on Mirko's agreement with that.

Amazing.

EDIT: Incidentally, in my last two posts, I answered every single point you have raised in this thread. And you chose to ignore them. Is it safe to conclude, then, that you actually don't have much of a point to make?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner

@charizard1605 said:

So you literally made an entire thread based on what speak_low says, and on Mirko's agreement with that.

Amazing.

Haha, wow. I didn't even have to check the thread, I knew it was Mirkos based on the description alone.

This would be like believing a rumor about Sony just because Foxbat made it up and Kuu2 cosigned on it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nintendoboy16

@ConanTheStoner said:
@charizard1605 said:

Amazing.

Haha, wow. I didn't even have to check the thread, I knew it was Mirkos based on the description alone.

This would be like believing a rumor about Sony just because Foxbat made it up and Kuu2 cosigned on it.

Not like he has never made good points, much as I disagree with him on numerous things.

@charizard1605 said:

EDIT: Incidentally, in my last two posts, I answered every single point you have raised in this thread. And you chose to ignore them. Is it safe to conclude, then, that you actually don't have much of a point to make?

I'll look at them as I post this.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Jesus Christ, this is hard to read. Never thought I'd see the day when fanboys could have such a negative real-world effect on somebody. Nintendoboy, all you're doing is empowering fanboy trolls by falling for their bullshit. You can't separate fantasy from real life, like a kid who shoots someone after playing GTA.

I think you should seriously take some time off from the internet, and especially System Wars.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@funsohng said:

QoL = Quality of Life

Essentially Nintendo trying to get into health products as a side business. This sleep sensor is part of it.

So they are diversifying. I don't see where the "they are exiting the gaming industry" comes in.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ConanTheStoner

@nintendoboy16 said:

Not like he has never made good points, much as I disagree with him on numerous things.

Mirkos? Yeah, he does sometimes. Always under a thick layer of bitterness, but of all the people that constantly spew Nintendo hatred around here, he does bring the most reasonable thoughts to the table. I can respect his posts and sometimes I even agree with him.

Still, that's just one guy... a guy that always sees the glass half empty with Nintendo. And the original source being a Speak Low thread of things lol.

You should know by now that SW is the last place on earth to gauge gamer opinions at large. Reading comments here is like traveling to another dimension which is part of why I like this place so much. However, I wouldn't put much stock in what a couple of guys are saying regarding the future Nintendo.

Also, it seems Charizard already addressed the issue well enough in this thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Mirkos? Yeah, he does sometimes. Always under a thick layer of bitterness, but of all the people that constantly spew Nintendo hatred around here, he does bring the most reasonable thoughts to the table. I can respect his posts and sometimes I even agree with him.

Still, that's just one guy... a guy that always sees the glass half empty with Nintendo. And the original source being a Speak Low thread of things lol.

You should know by now that SW is the last place on earth to gauge gamer opinions at large. Reading comments here is like traveling to another dimension which is part of why I like this place so much. However, I wouldn't put much stock in what a couple of guys are saying regarding the future Nintendo.

Also, it seems Charizard already addressed the issue well enough in this thread.

Mirko is very reasonable. He is jaded and cynical to the point of it being a fault, but that allows him to see shortcomings where others would admittedly miss them. No issues with the guy in general, but his cynicism and jadedness is the very reason why his analysis is the last one you want to go to when having a discussion on the topic of 'Nintendo is doomed' or some variant thereof.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nintendoboy16

@charizard1605 said:

That has nothing to do with consistency. They believed online wasn't important, got their ass handed to them in that arena, and started taking it a bit more seriously. Even then, Nintendo still treats online as throwaway, even now.

That aside, you are talking about lack of consistency in how the company treats market conditions. That literally has nothing to do with them changing their entire corporate identity and re-orienting themselves by entering an altogether new market that has nothing to do with the one they are in currently.

That doesn't mean they aren't inconsistent in their whole business. Seriously, if they have a habit of inconsistency in their business, how can you not have some worry about some of their moves? Haven't you pointed them out in the past?

@charizard1605 said:

You are making literally no sense. Nintendo in its previous businesses was a cottage industry company run by a family with no corporate structure and minuscule revenues. Nintendo now is a multinational, multicontinental operation with billions of dollars in revenues, publicly traded, run by a board of directors, and a firm corporate identity. What a small, family business did or did not do before literally has no bearing on what Nintendo, a proper corporation today, would do.

As for the second point- in its infancy is where you would see most of the departures and hirings. In its infancy is when Nintendo would start to cut down on its games related staff, and start hiring people from other industries, so that they could design a proper product for the new industry that they are entering, and not enter it with a bust.

You are making no sense, and honestly, it sounds like you want to believe Nintendo is going to exit the industry, based on nothing but a completely irrational and baseless idea that you may have had. Your idea makes no sense. Under the corporate structure of Nintendo, it makes no sense. Under a financial perspective, it makes no sense. Under any umbrella imaginable, it makes no sense.

Nintendo still has their gaming business to try and support them as much as they can, don't they? It's not like there weren't different situations in business before they started considering expanding.

I don't want it to happen, char. I really don't. All I ask was a hypothetical question that was based on what I thought seemed logical enough.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LegatoSkyheart

@charizard1605: Just so we're on the same page. I didn't say that this was them moving away from the Video Game Market, I was just stating something that was reported on earlier before about Nintendo supporting the Health Market more.

in which I'll agree with you that it's somewhat of a safety net. but I wouldn't bank on Nintendo leaving anytime soon, only I expect them to be expanding.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Maybe not now, but who's to say it won't evolve into that overtime? There's a reason some people don't buy into PR.

You weren't born in the US. So I'll go out on a limb and say you won't ever be president of the united states. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

That doesn't mean they aren't inconsistent in their whole business. Seriously, if they have a habit of inconsistency in their business, how can you not have some worry about some of their moves? Haven't you pointed them out in the past?

Nintendo still has their gaming business to try and support them as much as they can, don't they? It's not like there weren't different situations in business before they started considering expanding.

I don't want it to happen, char. I really don't. All I ask was a hypothetical question that was based on what I thought seemed logical enough.

Nintendo's lack of consistency in its business strategies within the current industry is a matter for frustration, yes, but I seriously think you are underestimating how difficult it is for a publicly traded company like Nintendo to actually change course like you are suggesting. Do you know about investor fraud? The entire board of Nintendo and Iwata himself would haul ass in jail for 120 years if what you were saying was true. When you make a change as major as you are suggesting, you have to share it with your shareholders so they can re-invest/divest/invest accordingly. Again, this has not happened yet.

I don't actually know what you were trying to say with your first and second paragraphs, I re-read them five times but I couldn't make head or tail of it, but here is another, serious, legal objection to why your fantasy is just that, a fantasy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@charizard1605: Just so we're on the same page. I didn't say that this was them moving away from the Video Game Market, I was just stating something that was reported on earlier before about Nintendo supporting the Health Market more.

in which I'll agree with you that it's somewhat of a safety net. but I wouldn't bank on Nintendo leaving anytime soon, only I expect them to be expanding.

I know, I was agreeing with you on what you said. It's diversification. Hardly 'oh no, we need to leave the industry!'

@inb4uall said:

You weren't born in the US. So I'll go out on a limb and say you won't ever be president of the united states. :P

And yet somehow still more likely than what nintendoboy suggests in this thread.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LegatoSkyheart

@charizard1605: good that we're on the same page then!

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nintendoboy16

@charizard1605 said:

Nintendo's lack of consistency in its business strategies within the current industry is a matter for frustration, yes, but I seriously think you are underestimating how difficult it is for a publicly traded company like Nintendo to actually change course like you are suggesting. Do you know about investor fraud? The entire board of Nintendo and Iwata himself would haul ass in jail for 120 years if what you were saying was true. When you make a change as major as you are suggesting, you have to share it with your shareholders so they can re-invest/divest/invest accordingly. Again, this has not happened yet.

I don't actually know what you were trying to say with your first and second paragraphs, I re-read them five times but I couldn't make head or tail of it, but here is another, serious, legal objection to why your fantasy is just that, a fantasy.

Well, I guess you got me there.

Since you said this isn't SW related, might as well lock this before it gets any worse.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Instead of having a post count of 500 I think everyone should have to score above a set number on an IQ test to post threads there. This is just ridiculous.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Locked per request.