Skywind - Morrowind remake in the Skyrim engine

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Lucianu (9443 posts) -

Skywind - Official Development Video #1

Going beyond being just a mod, over 70 passionate people are working together for a complete remake of Morrowind through the Skyrim engine, re-doing the landscapes, the main quest/side quests, and ofcourse adding aditional content in tune with the alien-like theme of Morrowind, essentially giving Morrowind a "Black Mesa" like treatment.

Also, they're giving the remake a full blown voice over. Yep, they're going to add voice acting to every (important) line of dialogue writen in Morrowind.

Some screenshots:

#2 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25520 posts) -

I saw the trailer.

It's very impressive.

#3 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -

Unfortunately, I don't see this mod being received well, considering the amount of hatred Skyrim has on this forum.

#4 Posted by blangenakker (2379 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: What about from people not on this website?

#5 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

Pretty cray cray.

#6 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25520 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see this mod being received well, considering the amount of hatred Skyrim has on this forum.

Those people don't have Skyrim on PC.

#7 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -

@blangenakker said:

@nintendoboy16: What about from people not on this website?

On TES forums, I can (obviously) see going well. Not so sure on everywhere else after reading the Tropes.

#8 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see this mod being received well, considering the amount of hatred Skyrim has on this forum.

Those people don't have Skyrim on PC.

Doesn't matter. Yeah, there are mods, but that surely doesn't help the main game's cause no matter what platform considering mods are fan made.

#9 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16617 posts) -

Stop ruining the original vision of the developers !!!! :'(

This is pretty amazing; Morrowind still remains my favourite TES game. So I'm really looking forward to this.

#10 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Looks great. When the new mic comes in I'm submitting a demo reel to the team for voice overs.

#11 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25520 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see this mod being received well, considering the amount of hatred Skyrim has on this forum.

Those people don't have Skyrim on PC.

Doesn't matter. Yeah, there are mods, but that surely doesn't help the main game's cause no matter what platform considering mods are fan made.

Don't downplay mods.

Falskaar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeFT6qhja-0

A Skyrim Mod that adds about 20 more hours to the game, All of the people in the Mod are Fully voiced, and adds it's an entirely new landmass separate from the actual game.

The person responsible for this? He landed a job at Bungie, and the Mod was his Portfolio to get a Job for Bethesda.

In 2002 a Game called Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos was released and with it's release came a "world editor" which in 2003, a mapmaker who went under the name of "Eul", released a Map that was based off of a Starcraft scenario "Aeon of Strife". The Map was so popular that many were inspired to make their own maps when Warcraft III's expansion came out and Eul didn't update his map. One such Modder by the name of Steve Feak then created the one map to rule them all. The Map's Name was Defense of the Ancients.

in 2013, DOTA 2 was released and the rest should be history.

Another Game that was inspired by this mod is the Most Played Game on the Internet and that is League of Legends.

A More Recent Story is of a game that showed up in mid 2012 using a Game that was released in 2009 and it's Expansion from 2010. I don't need to give you a history lesson of this game, but I will tell you now that it just recently went Stand Alone, abd was the Top Selling Item on Steam through out the Winter Sale and it's still the Top Seller on Steam.

The Game I am Referring to is Day Z.

Don't downplay mods. Just because it's fan made doesn't make them any less important than today's game developers.

#12 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see this mod being received well, considering the amount of hatred Skyrim has on this forum.

Those people don't have Skyrim on PC.

Doesn't matter. Yeah, there are mods, but that surely doesn't help the main game's cause no matter what platform considering mods are fan made.

Don't downplay mods.

Falskaar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeFT6qhja-0

A Skyrim Mod that adds about 20 more hours to the game, All of the people in the Mod are Fully voiced, and adds it's an entirely new landmass separate from the actual game.

The person responsible for this? He landed a job at Bungie, and the Mod was his Portfolio to get a Job for Bethesda.

In 2002 a Game called Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos was released and with it's release came a "world editor" which in 2003, a mapmaker who went under the name of "Eul", released a Map that was based off of a Starcraft scenario "Aeon of Strife". The Map was so popular that many were inspired to make their own maps when Warcraft III's expansion came out and Eul didn't update his map. One such Modder by the name of Steve Feak then created the one map to rule them all. The Map's Name was Defense of the Ancients.

in 2013, DOTA 2 was released and the rest should be history.

Another Game that was inspired by this mod is the Most Played Game on the Internet and that is League of Legends.

A More Recent Story is of a game that showed up in mid 2012 using a Game that was released in 2009 and it's Expansion from 2010. I don't need to give you a history lesson of this game, but I will tell you now that it just recently went Stand Alone, abd was the Top Selling Item on Steam through out the Winter Sale and it's still the Top Seller on Steam.

The Game I am Referring to is Day Z.

Don't downplay mods. Just because it's fan made doesn't make them any less important than today's game developers.

When did I ever downplay mods? Yeah, a lot of them have damn good quality and it's quite awesome how the creator of Falskaar managed to get a job in the industry because of his effort, but do the mods themselves help the main game's cause, especially when it's noted by those who disliked Skyrim, even on PC that no amount of mods help that game (as in, Bethesda's effort) as it is?

#13 Posted by jake44 (2021 posts) -

That looks great.

#14 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25520 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

When did I ever downplay mods? Yeah, a lot of them have damn good quality and it's quite awesome how the creator of Falskaar managed to get a job in the industry because of his effort, but do the mods themselves help the main game's cause, especially when it's noted by those who disliked Skyrim, even on PC that no amount of mods help that game (as in, Bethesda's effort) as it is?

So what you're saying is that this mod is not going to help those who were never interested in Skyrim in the first place or just hated how Skyrim worked so it's not going to matter?...I don't really understand what you're getting at.

Look there are mods in Skyrim that COMPLETELY change the game so if you really didn't like Vanilla Skyrim, someone out there "fixed" it and if someone still doesn't like Skyrim after that, they probably just didn't care in the first place.

#15 Posted by osan0 (12739 posts) -

i really hope it gets finished. is there a relatively easy way to import a lot of the content (things like the text of which there is a lot in morrowind) from the original game into the skyrim engine? if they really have to build everything up from scratch then i fear it may never be done :(.

a great effort so far from the team though.

#16 Posted by Jankarcop (9618 posts) -

I can't wait..freaking amazing.

#17 Edited by Jankarcop (9618 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see this mod being received well, considering the amount of hatred Skyrim has on this forum.

Very Well made mods are always received well at this forum.

This looks like probably one of the best made mods ever.. (possibly).

Point denied.

#18 Posted by Suppaman100 (3935 posts) -

Skyrim, one of those games that's meant to be played on a PC.

#19 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see this mod being received well, considering the amount of hatred Skyrim has on this forum.

Very Well made mods are always received well at this forum.

This looks like probably one of the best made mods ever.. (possibly).

Point denied.

Doesn't it generally matter on how good or bad said game is though?

#20 Edited by naz99 (1391 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: umm no because the mod changes the game it is a full conversion so no skyrim will remain apart from maybe art assets

#21 Edited by nicecall (428 posts) -

Theres a lot of mods you can fix up the Morrowind graphics pretty good, but its still using the same engine so it has its limits.. so its cool they are gonna use the skyrim one. I wonder how long it will take to finish this... i was thinking of replaying morrowind someday soon.

#22 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@nintendoboy16: umm no because the mod changes the game it is a full conversion so no skyrim will remain apart from maybe art assets

You sure about that? Even with all the mods in the world, even the unofficial patches, I've hardly seen any changed minds.

You know, I'll stop here. I'm causing too much trouble for one page (at least, one page on my settings of the forums)

#23 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

Mods like this I can get behind, I normally don't care about mods changing a developers game until way after it's release.

#24 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14406 posts) -

I'll admit, that's pretty rad.

Atleast it's not another horsecock and futanari mod..

#25 Posted by Heil68 (45125 posts) -

Thats awesome.

#26 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see this mod being received well, considering the amount of hatred Skyrim has on this forum.

Those people don't have Skyrim on PC.

I have Skyrim on PC, it's still shit. It can look as pretty as it wants but the actual mechanics still feel like crap. Bethesda need to get proper animation systems in place and better character models. Then the combat can feel better and thus the game can start feeling fun to play.

anyway this looks really cool, a bit too much bloom though. That last screenshot is hard to look at

#27 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

This is pretty awesome but even with a team of 70 people, I can see this struggling to get finished. That said, if it ever gets finished I'll be playing this just to sight see all of Morrowind those gorgeous graphics.

#28 Edited by Maroxad (8323 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: I am one of the biggest "haters" of Skyrim on this board (or rather, was). And with mods Skyrim is a pretty good game, removing or fixing most of the things that were horrible about the base game. This mod will remove yet another flaw Skyrim had. The incredibly bland and repetitive Overworld.

I am far from the only one who was convinced that the game is good by mods.

My current skyrim has camping, realisticly dark nights (so dark that you will need torches in forests if you want to be able to see), hypothermia, needs such as hunger and thirst, no level scaling, perks actually feeling like something more than a lame gimmick, game design so you arent flooded with money and money having weight.

#29 Posted by lostrib (37552 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see this mod being received well, considering the amount of hatred Skyrim has on this forum.

Those people don't have Skyrim on PC.

I have Skyrim on PC, it's still shit. It can look as pretty as it wants but the actual mechanics still feel like crap. Bethesda need to get proper animation systems in place and better character models. Then the combat can feel better and thus the game can start feeling fun to play.

anyway this looks really cool, a bit too much bloom though. That last screenshot is hard to look at

Well they need to redo how the combat works as well

#30 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7321 posts) -
@nintendoboy16 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see this mod being received well, considering the amount of hatred Skyrim has on this forum.

I didn't like Skyrim, but as long as this game doesn't have level scaling, doesn't turn skills like lockpicking into an easy minigame that allows a character of any skill to pick any lock, and does a good job of making some areas flat out scary for a low-level character to visit, it should be great. Morrowind was the last great game Bethesda has made.

#31 Posted by hoodedjustice3 (253 posts) -

Skyrim was dumb. There's not even any guns.

#32 Posted by MonsieurX (30413 posts) -

@hoodedjustice3 said:

Skyrim was dumb. There's not even any guns.

So going by your logic,your posts are dumb.

#33 Posted by hoodedjustice3 (253 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@hoodedjustice3 said:

Skyrim was dumb. There's not even any guns.

So going by your logic,your posts are dumb.

If we're going to by juvenile pop logic, sure.

#34 Posted by farrell2k (6328 posts) -

Morrowind is unplayable for me, so this looks great. I can't wait.

#35 Posted by KHAndAnime (13869 posts) -

Idealistic mod. Probably won't see release for a long time.

Honestly, I'd rather just go back and play Morrowind modded. The graphics in the original probably look better than this (with mods) and this mod would restrict you to vanilla Morrowind, which would be pretty damn limiting. Dislike the idea of full blown voice-overs too - everyone is unfortunately going to sound identical (like Oblivion/Skyrim). I always skip VO after reading the text anyways. The only benefit I'd get from this mod would be ragdoll and different, but equally "meh" combat.

#36 Edited by Big_Pecks (5345 posts) -

The characters still look bad but the environments balance it out.

#37 Posted by mems_1224 (47230 posts) -

Yup, I just came....

#38 Posted by foxhound_fox (88660 posts) -

So it will actually be worth playing now. Good.

I hated the combat in the original.

#39 Edited by KHAndAnime (13869 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

So it will actually be worth playing now. Good.

I hated the combat in the original.

If this mod is a full conversion, the combat should be roughly the same as it has always been. Otherwise the game won't play like Morrowind at all, whatsoever. I suspect you won't find it any better unless the entire gratification of combat for you relies on seeing your sword animation connect with the enemy...

#40 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see this mod being received well, considering the amount of hatred Skyrim has on this forum.

does it matter how people without PCs who are just jelly they can't participate think about this? Seriously who gives a rats ass what they think. They don't matter.

#41 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

I have Skyrim on PC, it's still shit. It can look as pretty as it wants but the actual mechanics still feel like crap. Bethesda need to get proper animation systems in place and better character models. Then the combat can feel better and thus the game can start feeling fun to play.

anyway this looks really cool, a bit too much bloom though. That last screenshot is hard to look at

Well they need to redo how the combat works as well

Well yeah but at least a proper animation system would be a start and make it feel a bit meatier. TES games have always suffered terribly floaty combat

#42 Posted by da_illest101 (7521 posts) -

I don't know how, but someway bethesda is going to find a way to make money out of this or to stop this project.

#43 Posted by Pray_to_me (2863 posts) -

I was never able to get Morroblivion to run. Hopefully this comes with a noob friendly installer.

#44 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

@da_illest101 said:

I don't know how, but someway bethesda is going to find a way to make money out of this or to stop this project.

Why? Beth has always been super cool with modders.

#45 Posted by dommeus (9372 posts) -

Nice. I tried to play Morrowind last year and just couldn't get into it. Walls and walls of text, along with imperfect pad and aspect ratio support meant it was just too much effort to give it a go.

#46 Edited by wis3boi (31458 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

Idealistic mod. Probably won't see release for a long time.

I've already been playing it for a few months

#47 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

@wis3boi: Alpha releases are not what people mean when they say release and we all know it.

#48 Posted by silversix_ (14781 posts) -

Will this be available for free? Do want to play it cuz i haven't even tried Morrowind

#49 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Will this be free? I just picked Skyrim up during the Steam sale.

#50 Edited by Zelda187 (937 posts) -

T.I.T.S.