Share your impressions on Zelda: Link Between Worlds

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (a.k.a. the sequel to the greatest game ever created) was released yesterday on the Nintendo 3DS. Who all got the game? How far in have you gotten? What are your impressions so far?

I haven't had the chance to play it nearly as much as I would like to, sadly (only three and a half hours and three dungeons in), but here are my general impressions:

• The game looks beautiful; the screenshots do not do it justice
  • That soundtrack. Holy shit, that soundtrack
  • This game probably has the best use of 3D in a game outside of Super Mario 3D Land and maybe Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • It's so fast and brisk- it literally took twenty minutes before you were on your way, and then the game keeps things moving. Surprisingly enough, it also finds the time to provide exposition and context
  • The wall Link mechanic is probably the best 'gimmick' in Zelda till date
  • The items rental mechanic opens up the full overworld to you from the get go- the game feels staggeringly open, you're free to do what you want and when you want
  • No handholding. This cannot be emphasized enough. The game just drops you into the deep end of the pool, and you have to figure shit out yourself after that. It feels great to be able to figure things out yourself, it replicates that feeling of satisfaction you used to get from the old Zelda games
  • Finally, the dungeon design. I haven't even gotten to the 'real' dungeons yet, I just completed Tower of Hera, but holy shit is it awesome. The way it integrates all items and also the Wall Link mechanic is mind boggling, it makes you stop and think, and try to look at things from a new perspective, literally.
  • The boss fights are a bit disappointing

What are your thoughts on the game?

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

My thoughts: It looks pretty, but I have never played it and likely won't for a while.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Picked up my copy yesterday, I'll be all over it once I finish Etrian Odyssey IV.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Haven't gotten it yet, but it's near the top of my list. How many dungeons are there?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

Haven't gotten it yet, but it's near the top of my list. How many dungeons are there?

As many as ALttP. So 11 main ones, plus Hyrule Castle, plus the introductory 'dungeon.'

EDIT: This is from the NeoGAF OT, I can personally only vouch for the ones that I have completed so far (three, plus the intro dungeon).

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

I just got to Lorule where shit's about to get real. I can already tell the enemies are going to be a challenge!

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I've played all the Zelda games but the only ones I've actually put in any time are OOT, TP & SS.

So far I'd say I prefer A link to the past.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It's pretty boring. The puzzles are too hard and the overworld doesn't tell you what to do. It's too gimmicky and has jaggies and annoying overworld music.

I should have bought Tearaway.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

As many as ALttP. So 11 main ones, plus Hyrule Castle, plus the introductory 'dungeon.'

EDIT: This is from the NeoGAF OT, I can personally only vouch for the ones that I have completed so far (three, plus the intro dungeon).

Wow, 11 dungeons in about 20 hours. They're really keeping this one tight. Very nice.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#10 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@charizard1605: How long is the game? Is it like a main tier Zelda game or a handheld side game like phantom hourglass? I loved Zelda 1 and link to the past so I am thinking about getting this, I want Tearaway too, but it only has a 5-6 hour game.... hard to me to fork out the cash right now after buying a ps4 , 2 games, accessories and getting Ys Celestia on Tuesday.

I am also not sold on the idea of not finding treasures in dungeons and having to buy or rent and back track if you die. Doesn't not having items and treasuers in dungeon ruin some of the thrill of accomplishment of wonder? I don't like seeing everything in the game at the start. To me that reminds me of a free to play game where everything is laid out if you got the cash.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

I've only played a few mins. I'm supposed to wait til Christmas :P

My only gripe is the graphics. They are nice, but I think they are a step down from the charming SNES 2D graphics. Link's character model looks weird to me. I suppose 3d models were necessary to do the whole 2d/3d morphing thing however.

Apart from that it seems fantastic. To echo what you said, brisk pace, no endless tutorial, all items from start = COMPLETELY open world, and seems like enemies are as tough as on the SNES too. The morphing is a great idea. Seems like a worthy sequel to me, Christmas gonna be fun :D

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

So far 5 dungeons completed with the Swamp Temple which is by far my favorite puzzle and aesthetic wise. This game truly is amazing. So much to do, so much to remember on doing it.

Plenty of fun mini games and I love the Treasure Hunter brothers bonus puzzles if you can find them.

Difficulty went up in Lorule, I died as soon as I left the Blacksmith House.

No hand holding is great. They need to do this more often.

LOVE the soundtrack with the remasters and remixes. Playing a tune at the Milk Bar is sweet!

Still believe the Majora's Mask mask on Link's House is a sign of good things to come if you know what I mean. I'm sure Charizard is with me on this one.

This game is overall amazing and really feels like old school Zelda. Totally recommend buying it if you have a 3DS.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

@Midnightshade29:

I was thinking of the exact same thing until I ran into a nice item in one of the dungeons that is really nice :D. So I think some dungeons will still have some goodies, just have to find them lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Midnightshade29 said:

@charizard1605: How long is the game? Is it like a main tier Zelda game or a handheld side game like phantom hourglass? I loved Zelda 1 and link to the past so I am thinking about getting this, I want Tearaway too, but it only has a 5-6 hour game.... hard to me to fork out the cash right now after buying a ps4 , 2 games, accessories and getting Ys Celestia on Tuesday.

I am also not sold on the idea of not finding treasures in dungeons and having to buy or rent and back track if you die. Doesn't not having items and treasuers in dungeon ruin some of the thrill of accomplishment of wonder? I don't like seeing everything in the game at the start. To me that reminds me of a free to play game where everything is laid out if you got the cash.

It's allegedly 20 hours according to Gamespot. It's a main tier Zelda game. Minor spoilers:

It's a direct sequel to A Link to the Past, that follows what happened within that timeline: Link defeated Ganon, restored Hyrule and the Golden Land, returned the Master Sword to its pedestal. Generations later (which is ALBW), a wizard called Yuga emerges who plans on reviving Ganon to take over again. He also causes an alternate, corrupted version of Hyrule to join with Hyrule. The story is set within that time period, it's not a side episode like Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks were.

I understand your apprehensions on that- I wasn't sold on that concept myself. But when you play it, you understand: it frees up the world design and the dungeon design (which was previously completely reliant on you having certain items) so much, and lets you play the game in any order you want, like the original NES Zelda, instead of sticking to a pre-determined order like the later ones. It actually adds to the thrill of discovery, because the full world is open from the get go, free for you to explore.

There's really no backtracking if you do die (there's a super handy quick travel system, that lets you go any place you've visited on the map with a single touch), but the fear of losing all your items does something else: it adds tension to the game. If you die, there's actually consequences in the game now, unlike in recent Zelda games, where death is absolutely meaningless.

It's hardcore Zelda, distilled to its purest basics. It's supposed to be a sequel to A Link to the Past, but in a way, it's channelling the open world spirit of the original NES Zelda game more. If you liked the NES games, and A Link to the Past, there is no way you won't like this one. it's old school in the most awesome way possible.

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

Wow, 11 dungeons in about 20 hours. They're really keeping this one tight. Very nice.

Yeah, it's insane how fast the game moves. It's so brisk, and surprisingly enough, it finds the time to tell the story too.

@mrintro said:

I just got to Lorule where shit's about to get real. I can already tell the enemies are going to be a challenge!

Just got there myself. That was pretty neat, what just happened!

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

How dare you compare this masterpiece to K:I Uprising.

Also the 3D in the E4 rooms of X/Y is still my favorite use of 3D. This is a close 2nd though.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

My thoughts?

So getting the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@locopatho said:

I've only played a few mins. I'm supposed to wait til Christmas :P

My only gripe is the graphics. They are nice, but I think they are a step down from the charming SNES 2D graphics. Link's character model looks weird to me. I suppose 3d models were necessary to do the whole 2d/3d morphing thing however.

Apart from that it seems fantastic. To echo what you said, brisk pace, no endless tutorial, all items from start = COMPLETELY open world, and seems like enemies are as tough as on the SNES too. The morphing is a great idea. Seems like a worthy sequel to me, Christmas gonna be fun :D

The graphics grew on me lol. It looks good on the 3DS screen plus full 3D at 60FPS, I'm not gonna complain :P

Although the charm of the SNES visuals is gone, I'll admit

@babycakin said:

So far 5 dungeons completed with the Swamp Temple which is by far my favorite puzzle and aesthetic wise. This game truly is amazing. So much to do, so much to remember on doing it.

Plenty of fun mini games and I love the Treasure Hunter brothers bonus puzzles if you can find them.

Difficulty went up in Lorule, I died as soon as I left the Blacksmith House.

No hand holding is great. They need to do this more often.

LOVE the soundtrack with the remasters and remixes. Playing a tune at the Milk Bar is sweet!

Still believe the Majora's Mask mask on Link's House is a sign of good things to come if you know what I mean. I'm sure Charizard is with me on this one.

This game is overall amazing and really feels like old school Zelda. Totally recommend buying it if you have a 3DS.

I actually haven't done the minigames yet :P I just got to Lorule lol.

The dungeon design is insane, and the difficulty feels nice too, after how much the new Zelda games baby you. I really hope the 3DS game is a testbed for, and a sign of things to come in, the Wii U Zelda game.

And yes, the Majora's Mask there is definitely an easter egg. Aonuma has been teasing a remake all year now.

And yeah, this might be the best Zelda in a while. This franchise is back in form.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

1990's cartoon rehash of a 1980's cartoon rehash.

Rehashception 0_0

Spam_Pics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spam_Pics
Member since 2008 • 222 Posts

@Blabadon said:

It's pretty boring. The puzzles are too hard and the overworld doesn't tell you what to do. It's too gimmicky and has jaggies and annoying overworld music.

I should have bought Tearaway.

lol douche response

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

Box art of the year.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Got at midnight during the Xbone launch party (lol)

I absolutely love the game and everything about it. It's potentially my GOTY at this point.

I've made it as far as the first dungeon in Lorule and I'm currently exploring the map for heart piece.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#22  Edited By Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@charizard1605: Ok...wow... you just sold me on the game.. Thanks for the detials! Will be buying off e-shop some time tonight :)

I am a big fan of Zelda 1. That was my first way back in around 1987 when it came out. I think i was in 4th grade. It was amazing getting that game at x-mas and it having a solid gold cartridge. I remember making my name as Zelda and not understanding why the overworld didn't match the map...lol.. here it was a secret code to get to the 2nd quest.

So yeah zelda 1 holds a special place for me to this day. And I love the top down perspective.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'll first come out and say that this game has forced me to buy a 3DS yesterday, as ALttP is one of my favorite games of all-time, and after having played a demo+a dose of heavy nostalgia I just had to buy. I'm at the entrance of the 3rd dungeon so far, here are my positives and negatives, to take with a grain of salt as I'm still somewhat early (sorry, this will be a tl;dr):

Positives:

1) firstly, the gameplay is beautifully streamlined from ALttP. Everything is quicker (for example, jumping off a cliff has no delay as it used to), aiming and using items is fluid and brisker in execution, and the flow is overall vastly improved. Also, the bottom screen makes things immensely efficient and convenient.

2 ) I find the stamina bar to be a wise choice that reduces tedium.

3) animation and graphical effects are all new (some WW-ish such as the bomb explosion) and a pleasure to watch.

4) the music is excellent as is overall sound design.

4) the merging into walls mechanic is BRILLIANT. Simply brilliant. As much shit I can lay at Nintendo's feet for their gimmicks, this feature is a true game-changing innovation that brings an entirely new dimension and dynamic into the game. I always find myself being forced to think in a whole new way, and I love it. A z-axis has been introduced. This is by far the best addition I've seen yet, and this is the kind of thing that makes Nintendo untouchable in their design philosophy when they get it right.

5) money is relevant. I finally have a reason to cut all the grass instead of to simply satiate my OCD urges.

6) fast travel is a nice addition.

7) no hand-holding (whew!). Damn refreshing, thanks Nintendo.

8) excellent dungeons.

Negatives:

1) as I suspected I would, and as much as I have reason to collect rupees, I don't like being able to rent/buy the items and believe it to be a bad design decision considering the nature of the game. I'm at the entrance to the third dungeon and already have all the items sans the rods which I could have easily afforded. I just don't like being able to go anywhere at anytime. Part of the fun of the original was the feeling of anticipation and curiosity of seeing something just off screen that's unobtainable, which gave motivation to discover what to do to get it. Since everything's unlocked from the get-go it feels somewhat spoiled and less adventurous. This is not a small gripe for me, it's huge.

2) to make the above worse, the game is far too easy so buying seems a useless option as I can keep all the rented items until death (which rarely happens), and if it does I can easily re-rent them with all the money I've acquired precisely BECAUSE I have the items in the first place to get all the money. It's a system that contradicts itself to the game's detriment.

3) the intro was disappointing. I was hoping it would start off with a bang like ALttP did: the rain, the dungeon, which also had the best musical track in the game. I've not heard it yet, though this could change.

4) bosses are very easy.

5) small, but I hate the constant chirping of the lost thingamajigs.

Aside from those, I'm loving it and having to recharge my 3DS very often. Better than ALttP? It's too early to lay such accolades at its feet, but so far, no, as being able to rent/buy the items makes it doubtful. But even being able to say that this game is comparable to one of the greatest ever created is not a small statement at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Midnightshade29 said:

@charizard1605: Ok...wow... you just sold me on the game.. Thanks for the detials! Will be buying off e-shop some time tonight :)

I am a big fan of Zelda 1. That was my first way back in around 1987 when it came out. I think i was in 4th grade. It was amazing getting that game at x-mas and it having a solid gold cartridge. I remember making my name as Zelda and not understanding why the overworld didn't match the map...lol.. here it was a secret code to get to the 2nd quest.

So yeah zelda 1 holds a special place for me to this day. And I love the top down perspective.

No problem, I hope you enjoy it :) I know I am.

I actually never got around to playing Zelda 1 until like ten years ago, and by then it was far too dated for me to enjoy. My first Zelda game, however, was either Link's Awakening or A Link to the Past, and I absolutely fell in love with those. There was something about the way the world was an interconnected puzzle just waiting to be explored that strongly appealed to me, and this game is right back where it belongs: you, a massive world, an adventure that plays out your style. No gimmicks.

@MirkoS77 said:

1) as I suspected I would, and as much as I have reason to collect rupees, I don't like being able to rent/buy the items. I'm at the entrance to the third dungeon and already have all the items sans the rods which I could have easily afforded. I just don't like being able to go anywhere at anytime. Part of the fun of the original was the feeling of anticipation and curiosity of seeing something just off screen that's unobtainable, which gave motivation to discover what to do to get it. Since everything's easily unlocked it feels somewhat spoiled and less adventurous. This is not a small gripe for me, it's huge.

2) to make the above worse, the game is far too easy so buying seems a useless option as I can keep all the rented items until death (which rarely happens), and if it does I can easily re-rent them with all the money I've acquired precisely BECAUSE I have the items in the first place to get all the money. It's a system that contradicts itself to the game's detriment.

3) the intro was disappointing. I was hoping it would start off with a bang like ALttP did: the rain, the dungeon, which also had the best musical track in the game. I've not heard it yet, though this could change.

4) bosses are very easy.

5) small, but I hate the constant chirping of the lost thingamajigs.

Aside from those, I'm loving it and having to recharge my 3DS very often. Better than ALttP? It's too early to lay such accolades at its feet, but so far, no, as being able to rent/buy the items makes it doubtful. But a hell of a fun experience nonetheless.

Glad you're enjoying it!

To answer your negatives:

1) and 2) resolve themselves once you get to Lorule. Enemies in Lorule are insanely difficult (we're talking one, two hit deaths here), I seriously don't remember enemies in the Dark World in A Link to the Past being this tough

3) I agree, I was very let down at the start by how... low key the intro was, too

4) The bosses are my only negative with the game so far, so yes, I agree. I've heard the later ones get good, but so far, this has all been a case of hitting B as much and as fast as I can

5) Lol, that does not bother me

I would hesitate to call this better than A Link to the Past- that game is my all time favorite, bar none. I will say though, this game is everything A Link to the Past was, and everything I would have wanted its sequel to be. We'll see how well it plays out by the end, though right now, I can safely say I am in love with it.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

No Zelda for me, at least not in the next couple of weeks, master degree is getting in the way and i have a lot of work to do...honestly i wouldn't play as much as i want...nah, honestly i would play the heck out of it and that would be bad for me :P but on december 7 i will definitely get it.

Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts

The only thing I have to say is that I almost missed work when I started playing it today.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

it looks exactly like a link to the past

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blabadon

@resevl4rlz said:

It is, it's a remake

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Fun and why does this have better framerate than Pokemon?

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I'm surprised by it. The game moves VERY quick. No fillers but plenty to do and explore if you wish. Just did the temple in the desert and enjoyed the boss battle there. The puzzles there combination of sand rod/wall merging was fun. Actually all the dungeons have been good. The first few where nice and quick to kind of get you into the game and the later ones make you think.

I was worried about the whole renting/buying items making dungeons less interesting but its actually quite the opposite. Makes you feel like a more well prepared hero, and let's you tackle them different ways, I can't quite explain it. Not to mention some dungeons still contain items.

I'm almost done with the game but its probably my favorite game this year. I stopped playing Mario 3D World and my PS4 just for it :P

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

played like 10 minutes of this game and oh dear, I don't know how you guys can put up with this shit... The high angle camera combined with the 3D models and environments was making me feel dizzy and hurting my eyes in just the first 3 minutes of play. Don't even want to imagine how it would be to play it for longer. But gameplay wise is was just more of the same even after all this years. A 90+ on metacritic for a true rehash... Nintendo does indeed gets free passes.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Blabadon

@Gue1 said:

played like 10 minutes of this game and oh dear, I don't know how you guys can put up with this shit... The high angle camera combined with the 3D models and environments was making me feel dizzy and hurting my eyes in just the first 3 minutes of play. Don't even want to imagine how it would be to play it for longer. But gameplay wise is was just more of the same even after all this years. A 90+ on metacritic for a true rehash... Nintendo does indeed gets free passes.

^Truth^

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

This game is awesome! I have been glued. By far the best handheld Zelda game.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Gue1 said:

if you're feeling dizzy playing THIS game you should probably go see a doctor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@resevl4rlz said:

lol

@Gue1 said:

LOL

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm truly impressed. The amount of detail is astonishing--it's polished to the max. This game is a fine little gem and I'm having a hard time putting it down.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts
@charizard1605 said:
  • The game looks beautiful; the screenshots do not do it justice
  • This game probably has the best use of 3D in a game outside of Super Mario 3D Land and maybe Kid Icarus: Uprising

I've only played a little bit of it, just to try it out, I'll only really start playing when I'm done with some other games. But I completely agree with this.

The screenshots and videos I saw never looked that great, but the graphics only come to live on the 3DS screen: it's beautiful.

The 3D effect is also fantastic. Other games I would add to the list of great use of the 3D effect are Luigi's Mansion and Mario Kart. Those games along with SM3D Land sold the effect to me.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I picked up the Zelda 3dsxl bundle to replace my red xl. I haven't even opened the box yet. I will probably wait till my current 3ds sells and I transfer my games over before I open and play it. I just had to buy it before it was hard to find. Plus I got target to price match walmarts 199 plus 5% off with red card.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Only got 3 lorule dungeons left and I got the blue tunic, hylian shield and the first master sword upgrade.

I feel like I'm blowing through this game to quickly but its SO damn fun.

Metaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Metaw
Member since 2010 • 387 Posts

Completed the game and have collected most things except for a few bottles and heartpieces. I'm loving the design of it, having the ability to choose which dungeon to go to. The puzzles themselves were to me perfectly balanced and enjoyable.

Going to collect the last items and then take things from there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

I don't really care for Zelda all that much, but this is probably my favorite game of the year.

Must buy for the 3DS

Avatar image for BlackoutGunshot
BlackoutGunshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BlackoutGunshot
Member since 2011 • 358 Posts

I'm blown away, and was not expecting to be. I haven't finished a Zelda game since Link to the Past, which is one of my favorite games of all time. But this one fixes so many typical "Zelda" trappings that it feels like a brand new experience for the first time in a long time.

- item rental and painting transformation are amazing, innovative systems.

- fast travel and non-linearity are excellent updates to the standard Zelda procedure

- graphics look amazing after you've warmed up to them, and use of 3D is flawless

- it might be the best-paced LoZ game of all time

- it's actually challenging to figure out where to go / what to do!

- the map size, small compared to other games, is actually a huge bonus for me - I feel like I can actually search everything.

Between this, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon, the 3DS is a must-have system.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

My impression is that i really want it, but not "buy a 3DS for one game" enough.