Series Evolution

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

When games are released and enjoyed for what they contribute to the video game industry, people always begin to want more. But unless you're a die-hard COD fan, you expect things to be different, while also maintaining or at least building upon the fundamentals that made the original game great.

With my entire life experience of enjoying and analyzing games, I have found that few series truly build upon their previous iterations and please fans with a different yet quality experience.

One good example is the Metroid series. We all know Super Metroid was flawless, a feat for gaming that has seemed unparalleled by many games, SOTN would be the only game to compare in terms of quality gameplay in their respective genre.

But then they released Metroid Prime, which is arguably as critically acclaimed, but completely transformed the series. They effectively evolved the series but kept it true to what fans wanted in terms of subject matter.

I think there is a struggle for developers on what to change and what to keep the same and only the best developers are capable of pulling it off right.

Some other notable examples would be: ALTTP into OOT, Ninja Gaiden NES series into the Itagaki modern day style.

I do not mean to have many Nintendo related examples but I have more experience with their consoles so I ask the Sony and Xbox fans to provide example of game series that have been transformed completely in regards to gameplay, but pleases fans with just as quality gameplay and true to the series subject matter.

Opinions?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Plenty of franchises evolve, even CoD at one point showed evolution, the problem is when you have one too many sequels they stop evolving. They either start saying the same or they start regressing. Because Metroid Prime to Metroid Prime 2 might have been a form of evolution, but to Metroid Prime 3 was regression. To Other M? regression of everything that made Metroid special in the first place. Fusion which is celebrated as this great GBA game is a massive step down from Super Metroid, and not in a Super Metroid is so good sort of way, but in a they made it more linear and they added a shitty video game story to what was an otherwise flawless gameplay formula.

Zelda, too easy.

Ninja Gaiden had a great run from NES to what Itagaki made, and then Ninja Gaiden 3 happened and then we got Yaiba.

Anyway the most recent example is The Witcher. That first game is an action rpg with rhythm combat punching way the **** above its own weight class (admirable but poor), and gradually became more layered and bigger as they went from sequel to sequel.

Metal Gear has been another one. MG1,2, to MGS took that top down gameplay, and made it 3d with a more cinematic presentation. MGS2 added new mechanics to that formula, 3 took it to a more open space and made the game about camo stealth, MGS4 built on that for 2 acts, and MGS5 has gone full sandbox (read not open world, sandbox). And then there is Metal Gear Rising Revengeance a spinoff beat em up that treats Metal Gear lore and story telling with exactly the kind of respect it actually deserves: None what so ever.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

The problem with me is that I did not follow well much series I'm attracted to like Tomb Raider.

But I can say that Tomb Raider has change since the first and I think the second: I remember that moving near edge was important and could kill a lot in the first TR. But now I doubt it's a very important aspect of the last TR and so the next because it will be similar according to the info I got lately. Also, the game is not exactly the same, the Tomb are not like they was: Now they are more graphics and physic spectacular. It's all good, the new TR gameplay is awesome like the old one was. In your list...

John_of_Rivia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 John_of_Rivia
Member since 2015 • 232 Posts

Some games evolve, while others just mutated.

A good example for me is Gears of war. I'm a big gears of war fan, putting hundreds of hours into the multiplayer for gears 2 and 3. In terms of story and art direction, I feel as though Gears 1 had the best feel to. Everyrhing since this has been fairly lackluster. They decided to go for brighter colors and larger environments, which I think made it less appealing. I also wished they kept more berserkers and had created a pendulum wars game instead of the monstrosity that was Judgment.

In terms of multiplayer, I feel Gears 2 and 3 helped the series evolve. The matchmaking became better, the movement more fluid, and some pretty good maps. Gears 3 had the best multiplayer to me. However, along the way, they've lost what made Gears great in multiple ways.