Sea of Thieves may be the next major multiplayer game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snabbkew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Snabbkew
Member since 2016 • 17 Posts

According to Neogaf SOT had 4 to 5 hour lines with over 200 people at E3, has gotten nothing but praise including Polygon and IGN and the players from the trailer were relaying their experiences on the Meogaf thread as well. Sea of Thieves may be the biggest multiplayer game in 2017

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Do you think it will be as competitive as games like World of Tanks and Smite and those type of online games?

If this flops I mean rare is done imo. It better be huge in sales and long lasting.

Snabbkew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Snabbkew

@ProtossRushX: I don't see it being competitive, more co op and team focused.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Do you think it will be as competitive as games like World of Tanks and Smite and those type of online games?

If this flops I mean rare is done imo. It better be huge in sales and long lasting.

Sea of Thieves is not a free to play game. It's not really a MMO either.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

What is this game exactly? Lol

Snabbkew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Snabbkew

@primorandomguy: Mmo lite ei destiny and division but actually fun.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@primorandomguy said:

It's a team based open world pirate game.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Lots of unknowns about the game still but so far it just sounds really neat. IGN impressions makes me want to play it...

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/06/14/e3-2016-sea-of-thieves-hands-on-setting-sail-with-a-smile

"

Midway through my first hands-on with Sea of Thieves, the shared-world pirate adventure that was one of the darling’s of both last year’s Xbox E3 press conference and this one, I realized that I’d been smiling the entire time. For all the great games we’re treated to in a given year, I don’t often find myself physically grinning from ear-to-ear.

I began on land with my crew of five -- Rare design director Gregg Mayles told me they haven’t settled on a final max number for your group just yet -- and together we wandered down to the shore, spotting our ship docked a short distance away. We all swam and climbed aboard via a rope ladder affixed to the side of our vessel. The boat is littered with interactive elements, from three sets of sails that can all be raised, lowered, and rotated, cannons on both sides (Rare tells me that you’ll have to load cannon balls into the cannons in the final game; in this demo they had unlimited ammo), the wheel, a crow’s nest you can climb into, a plank to walk out onto, rum to idly drink or an accordion to play (pull RT for either of those), and more.

I appreciated that this demo build gave no instructions: none of the controls, what to do, etc. Instead it was up to our fearsome pirate quintet to sink or swim -- literally -- based on how well we could communicate and work together. I held the X button next to the pulley wheel that raises the anchor, and I let the crew know what I was doing. Soon two others joined me to hasten the process, another player unfurled the sails, another grabbed wheel, and the fifth went to play lookout up in the crow’s nest. We were already bonding!

It’s here I should stop and compliment Sea of Thieves’ visuals. While parts of them are very simple, taken as a whole they are beautiful, thanks to a bright and colorful palette, simply gorgeous water and waves, and appropriately cartoony animation. I played during the day, but I also saw a round that began under the stunning bright moonlight and ended under the orange glow of dawn’s first light. The visuals hinted at in last year’s announcement trailer seem on track to be delivered for the final product.

With the anchor raised I took a bit of time to wander the ship -- through the captain’s quarters, down into the lower decks that would soon become a critical location on the vessel, up into the crow’s nest to get the long view for myself, out onto the edge of the bow for a quick Titanic-esque king-of-the-world moment, and back to the riggings to adjust our sails a bit as requested by one of my crewmates. Soon, however, we were called into action as we spotted our first foe.

With my band of peg-legged brothers all doing jobs -- sadly, the only one I didn’t get to try was steering the wheel -- I took to moving from station, helping out wherever I best could. For five strangers who’d never met until our demo began, we did a remarkable job of communicating what needed to be done and staying on the same page. Whether or not that was a testament to the gameplay or just random luck of being stuck with four nice guys is difficult to say. Regardless, a subtle white line drawn in the air would give clues to the wind, allowing us to adjust our sails accordingly to change direction (pro tip: you can also drop anchor while in motion to do the pirate ship equivalent of a handbrake turn).

And then the battles began. Two other ships -- each manned by their own five-player crews -- were out there, setting up a tricky game of cat-and-mouse. We slowly turned our vessel to face the first, and I jumped on a starboard cannon. I fired, and again, there are no instructions or predictive HUD arc to show you where your shot will go if you pull the trigger (as it were). Like the rest of Sea of Thieves, it’s up to you to take your speed, direction, distance, and wind into account when aiming your cannon fire at your foes. And again I loved this throw-you-in-the-deep-end mentality; I hope it remains for the final game.

The difficulty in aiming -- especially while bobbing up and down in the big ocean waves -- made scoring a direct hit to your targeted ship a tangible thrill for both me and my crewmate. We cheered each other on, and the positive reinforcement was invigorating. Of course, before long we took a few shots of our own, so as the self-appointed ship jack-of-all-trades, I sprinted below decks to check for leaks. Sure enough, one of the cannon shots had struck us slightly below our ship’s water line, causing us to begin taking on water (another pro tip: aim for the water line for his exact reason). Fortunately it was only ankle-deep, so I pressed Y to take out a wooden plank, then held RT over the hole to patch it.

With our band-aid in place, I scaled the mast to the now-empty crow’s nest to play lookout during the next round of battle as both ships turned for another salvo. The higher vantage point really was helpful for calling out enemy positions and, it turned out, telling teammates if their aim was true. Still smiling and having quickly warmed up to my cooperative teammates, I began yelling things like, “Hard to starboard!” because why not? Sea of Thieves may be, if it lives up to its full potential, the pirate game I’ve always wanted to play. Might as well fully embrace the fun I was having.

Even being sunk couldn’t sink my spirits, however. Yes, we took too many shots to the hull, and when I tried to get below decks to plug them it was already too late. The bottom deck was completely filled with water, and a last-ditch effort to patch the holes by me and another crewmate were futile. Our ship sank and we were left there, soaked in our own defeat. But it didn’t matter because Sea of Thieves’ E3 demo slice was just plain fun.

That being said, Sea of Thieves’ grin-inducing gameplay debut is merely a solid first step that establishes the idea that one of the core tenets is indeed fun. Rare’s return to big-time non-Kinect game development still has more questions to answer, however, such as: is there an economy, and if so how does it work? What’s the land-based treasure-hunting gameplay like? Is there a progression system of some sort? Can I customize my pirate and my ship? Will it be any fun by yourself? Similarly structured games like Destiny have been able to keep their player base interested for months and years, while others like The Division has struggled in that department. It remains to be seen how Sea of Thieves will fare.

Still, I can’t help coming back to my primary takeaway from my first Sea of Thieves high-seas ship battle: I had a gigantic smile on my face the entire time. That’s what Rare always used to be good at, and if they can recapture that in full with Sea of Thieves, then I’ll want to round up a band of buddies, form a crew, and explore this world with them to its furthest edges on a nightly basis.

"

Snabbkew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Snabbkew

Also the game has already won some best of show awards

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Is this PvP only?

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Team based multiplayer pirate game lol, wtf were they thinking?

Snabbkew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Snabbkew

@NathanDrakeSwag: there's going to be quest in the game

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

To do something different?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

"What would be a fun gaming experience for our consumer base?"

Seems to be pretty simple.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

LOL, the maker of that thread has been banned already, can't say nice things there about the Xbox One while the PS NeoGAF overlords are damage controlling Scorpio.

Snabbkew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Snabbkew

@lamprey263: SOT is going to be a visual orgasm on the Scorpio

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blueinheaven

@dynamitecop said:
@blueinheaven said:

It sounds terrible, pirate games are hard enough to pull off but MP? I am so curious to see how this turns out, seems to be a template for guaranteed fail maybe conceived at a time they were desperate to get away from MS?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4198 Posts

@snabbkew: I think the biggest issue facing Rare with Sea of Thieves is that, since it's not a full blown MMO, and more of a shared world coop game, they'll need to make sure there are enough compelling things to do to keep the game going long term.

Yes, it's going to be interesting to go through all the complicated steps of getting a ship going, but if there's not enough things to do, this game is going to get old very quickly.

While I couldn't be happier to see Rare making an actual game again, I have some concerns, particularly where it's being called a "shared world" game. That makes me think of APB, which got old unbelievably quickly.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lawlessx

@blueinheaven said:
@dynamitecop said:
@blueinheaven said:

It sounds terrible, pirate games are hard enough to pull off but MP? I am so curious to see how this turns out, seems to be a template for guaranteed fail maybe conceived at a time they were desperate to get away from MS?

You're joking...right?

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blueinheaven

@lawlessx said:
@blueinheaven said:
@dynamitecop said:
@blueinheaven said:

You're joking...right?

Nope. If someone asked me what would be the worst possible idea for an MP game team based pirates would definitely get a look-in. Just my opinion man... it sounds f***ing terrible to me, if you get off on it good for you.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lawlessx

@blueinheaven said:
@lawlessx said:
@blueinheaven said:
@dynamitecop said:
@blueinheaven said:

You're joking...right?

Nope. If someone asked me what would be the worst possible idea for an MP game team based pirates would definitely get a look-in. Just my opinion man... it sounds f***ing terrible to me, if you get off on it good for you.

I was referring to what i put in bold.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

@snabbkew said:

@lamprey263: SOT is going to be a visual orgasm on the Scorpio

I'm looking forward to it, shame that others of those who expressed positive impressions of Sea of Theives in the PS NeoGAF thread were banned, about a dozen users in that one thread. Just letting the rest of the PS NeoGAF users know that they'll get booted too if they keep that up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

It definitely looks fun. I'm excited for it.

Snabbkew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snabbkew

Thank God it's not a shitty f2p game

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

I'm interested in it, especially if playing with friends. Team based instead of PvP is a big plus in my books too.

Snabbkew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Snabbkew

@speak_low: You can apparently play by yourself but I imagine you'd have a smaller boat. No way you're going to run an entire ship by yourself. From the demo you need someone to steer, someone to navigate, someone to repair the ship, someone to raise and lower the sails

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#28 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

I played the game and it probably wont appeal to most of the people around here that dont like PvP, but the way its designed even people that dont like PvP loved this game because of its main schtick, cooperative mechanics. There was a big push in games at E3 this year where cooperative mechanics were the main emphasis. There were lots of four player co-op games where players had to do thimgs together each doing a piece to move the game forward. Sea of Thieves was probably the best one of these I played and after that Dead by Daylight was also great. Star Trek Bridge crew had the same type of thing it was the best VR game I played.

I also talked to one of the developers for about an hour while waiting in the line and he answered all my questions. he was pretty impressed he actually thought I was a reporter :P Anyway:

Its definitely a PvP game. The game is still in pretty early development and most of the pve portion of it is in the game yet. They hammered down the main basics of the ship combat first (why looks amazing and the ship physics are realistic) since thats the main draw, which is what the demo featured.

But the way it plays you have three ships each with a five man crew on a medium sized sandbox map with different islands. You basically sail around and explore, find treasure, weapons etc. on the islands competing with the two others. The islands will have pve monsters and so does the ocean but its not implemented yet. The objective is to destroy the other two ships. When that happens the game ends. Its not an MMO. You characters dont have levels. You basically play extended sandbox matches, and you look for pirate loot. You can loot the other crews or stuff you find. You crew works together and you work to upgrade your ship. The melee weapons etc werent in the game yet.

The thing that made it really fun was you actually had to handle your responsibilities to make the ship function properly.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Watched the E3 trailer...looked boring as ****

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@xhawk27 said:
@primorandomguy said:

It's a team based open world pirate game.

...and i am disappointed, when i saw this last year E3 i thought this was going to be a good singleplayer game with pirates:(

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The game is a bad joke.