Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Hardware specs and more capabilities revealed

• 86 results
iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Pray_to_me: I could care less. My 3DS is pretty weak, but its still amazing. I dont fall for such silly gimmicks.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

If true, I'm certainly not disappointed. More about this story [Here].

Don't make me go another generation without a real Metroid game, Nintendo. DON'T.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@Micropixel:

Are you waiting to buy a Switch when Metriod is coming?

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

1 tflop? Sounds like BS. If you had told me any of the Switch launch games were running on a GameCube it would be totally believable. I love me some Zelda but I'm gonna wait for the Switch "lite" when it hits $150... maybe. For all you early adopters... good luck.

It doesn't have 1 tflop. - The Tegra X1 in Nvidia Shield TV console from 2015 has half a tflop (0.5 Tf) or 512 Gflops

The custom Tegra in Nintendo Switch ~ almost 0.4 TF (it's actually 393 Gflops)

Switch in portable mode 0.15 TF (153 Gflops).

Assuming Eurogamer's info on clock speeds were accurate.

As a console for TV use, Switch has well less than 1/2 a teraflop and roughly twice the performance of Wii U, twice the memory bandwidth (25 GB/sec vs 12.4 GB/sec and twice the RAM. Because Switch is using much newer hardware and developers have the Nvidia NVN API and the Vulkan API, they'll be able to get the very most out of the available hardware, but the "ceiling" of that hardware is pretty low.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Can someone who is objective translate the specs for me? I haven't followed (or cared) about a spec sheet since I built a PC to play Half-Life 2 at launch... haha.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

It's a portable wii-u.

Market wise its wii-u 2.0

Not much else to say here. Specs at this point really don't matter anymore.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#57  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@sonic_spark said:

Can someone who is objective translate the specs for me? I haven't followed (or cared) about a spec sheet since I built a PC to play Half-Life 2 at launch... haha.

You're not going to find that here. Take an average of our opinions times the credibility of our past comments? I would like to know how powerful it is compared to a 3DS out of curiosity. Just to make me feel good.

Really. Do you think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks good? For me it does. I'm not super worried about specs on a console because none of them are going to be that fast. I be more concerned about load times and whether the damn thing is going to give me a lot of trouble if I just want to play a game.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@scrollinglayers: Very similar to Pixel C tablet's TX1.

@PCgameruk said:

Its a tegra X1 chip this leaked info if already confirmed.

Playstation 4 vs Nvidia Tegra X1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzIZWO1qdg Its a powerful chip for mobile. Scaled down yes, but this shows the switch is good enough when its doing UE4 in real time.

UE4 can run on Qualcomm S805 mobile phones and NVIDIA doesn't have a monopoly on double speed FP16 feature.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Sun Temple by Unreal Engine 4, render with Qualcomm's Adreno 420 on Galaxy Note 4.

---------

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Similar GeForce 920MX has similar FLOPS Fp32 to Shield TV's TX1

Loading Video...

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex Beta on GeForce GT 920M | Windows 10.

Low preset and 1366x768 resolution.

Frame Rates: When it works, it locks framerate to 30 FPS.

Xbox One version has 1920x1080p at 60 fps with higher graphics settings i.e. XBO is at least 8X over GeForce 920MX.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Can this console even run a single game that doesn't look like 7th gen released prior to 2012?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

The leak seems to be as legit as it gets, but time will tell. Of course it's not fully up to date (some things may have been altered, but not everything, no) but it's recent enough to believe that whatever will release will be 99% or 100% similar to this.

Sounds good to be honest. Stronger than any handheld ever before, but no so far behind home consoles that 3rd parties can't rush a port to it if they want to. Granted, I'm assuming both Sony and MS will keep on supporting base PS4 and XB1 for the years to come, otherwise with Pro + Scorpio out and possibly starting to get "exclusive" games in 2/3 years, Nintendo will be screwed on that front...eventually.

We'll see. 2017 is looking to be one heck of a year for gaming.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ronvalencia

@silversix_ said:

Can this console even run a single game that doesn't look like 7th gen released prior to 2012?

In dock mode, Switch should be able to run games similar to GeForce 920MX, but the problem is the game must support handheld mode with lower GPU performance.

Refer to my "Sun Temple by Unreal Engine 4, render with Qualcomm's Adreno 420 on Galaxy Note 4" example for nice looking graphics on a handheld device.

Qualcomm S821's Adreno 530 IGP can reached up to 519.2 GFLOPS Fp32 or +1 TFLOPS Fp16.

Current mobile SoCs has major issues with memory bandwidth .

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ronvalencia

@scrollinglayers said:
@Pray_to_me said:

1 tflop? Sounds like BS. If you had told me any of the Switch launch games were running on a GameCube it would be totally believable. I love me some Zelda but I'm gonna wait for the Switch "lite" when it hits $150... maybe. For all you early adopters... good luck.

It doesn't have 1 tflop. - The Tegra X1 in Nvidia Shield TV console from 2015 has half a tflop (0.5 Tf) or 512 Gflops

The custom Tegra in Nintendo Switch ~ almost 0.4 TF (it's actually 393 Gflops)

Switch in portable mode 0.15 TF (153 Gflops).

Assuming Eurogamer's info on clock speeds were accurate.

As a console for TV use, Switch has well less than 1/2 a teraflop and roughly twice the performance of Wii U, twice the memory bandwidth (25 GB/sec vs 12.4 GB/sec and twice the RAM. Because Switch is using much newer hardware and developers have the Nvidia NVN API and the Vulkan API, they'll be able to get the very most out of the available hardware, but the "ceiling" of that hardware is pretty low.

Tegra X1's 1 TFLOPS claim is from double speed FP16 feature.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ronvalencia

@Desmonic said:

The leak seems to be as legit as it gets, but time will tell. Of course it's not fully up to date (some things may have been altered, but not everything, no) but it's recent enough to believe that whatever will release will be 99% or 100% similar to this.

Sounds good to be honest. Stronger than any handheld ever before, but no so far behind home consoles that 3rd parties can't rush a port to it if they want to. Granted, I'm assuming both Sony and MS will keep on supporting base PS4 and XB1 for the years to come, otherwise with Pro + Scorpio out and possibly starting to get "exclusive" games in 2/3 years, Nintendo will be screwed on that front...eventually.

Shield TV's Tegra X1 at 1 Ghz has ~512 GFLOPS and 20 watts power consumption.

Pixel C 's Tegra X1 at 850 Mhz has 435 GFLOPS and 15 watts power consumption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adreno

Qualcomm Snapdragon 821's Adreno 530 IGP can reached up to 519.2 GFLOPS Fp32 or +1 TFLOPS Fp16.

With Eurogamer's reveal on Switch clock speeds (especially the GPU) the docked mode turns out 393 GFLOPS (at 768 Mhz) while the undocked / portable mode turns out 157 GFLOPS (at 307 MHz).

No sane mobile phone vendor has used TX1.

AugustEvans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64 AugustEvans
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

Nintendo CAN afford better but they would rather risk everything just to save a few dollars. Pathetic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
@augustevans said:

Nintendo CAN afford better but they would rather risk everything just to save a few dollars. Pathetic.

Risk what? not having the same games as 3 other established systems?

People don't see the obvious here... Nintendo's idea of 3rd party is the handheld/portable big franchises and the lower end 3rd party. They simply dont need anything else.

But yea, lets keep pretending you could have THIS type of device playing Battlefield 1, uncharted etc ... and not be £800 PC level prices.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:
@augustevans said:

Risk what? not having the same games as 3 other established systems?

People don't see the obvious here... Nintendo's idea of 3rd party is the handheld/portable big franchises and the lower end 3rd party. They simply dont need anything else.

But yea, lets keep pretending you could have THIS type of device playing Battlefield 1, uncharted etc ... and not be £800 PC level prices.

People just don't understand that consoles and PC gaming should have a different and unique experience. So many people hate handheld gaming here and not understand why some like it better. Same with Mobile games, despite them just being a quick burst games that you can play for less than a minute. If you're a gamer, you should celebrate all types of games, not just 1 way to play them.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Micropixel

@PSP107: I've got a Switch on pre-order and I'm HOPING there will be a Metroid game for it at some point. With every single Nintendo console, I look forward to a new Metroid. Nintendo has broken my heart a couple of times on this one though (N64 and Wii U).

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#68  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69781 Posts

@Micropixel said:

@PSP107: I've got a Switch on pre-order and I'm HOPING there will be a Metroid game for it at some point. With every single Nintendo console, I look forward to a new Metroid. Nintendo has broken my heart a couple of times on this one though (N64 and Wii U).

Why not wait for Metroid before purchasing the Switch?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 FireEmblem_Man

@Micropixel said:

Metroid is comings.....

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Micropixel

@Pedro: Because I'm also looking forward to Splatoon 2. I totally fell in love with that game on the Wii U and it's driving me completely MAD that I have to wait until Summer to play it. :(

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#71 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

This which seems like a neat little device. It may not be the strongest system, but its capabilities are pretty amazing.

Avatar image for profvannostrand
ProfVannostrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ProfVannostrand
Member since 2017 • 53 Posts

Mario Odyssey looks stunning. It's not as though modern consoles are pushing game design aspects all that much, anyways. Play any string along fps cinema fest and then play Goldeneye on a 20 year old console and you think to yourself, "wow this 20 year old game is more ambitious than stuff coming out, today?"

The most exciting thing about Switch is Nintendo coming out and saying it's for a core audience. Their recent releases really stress this as well, particularly Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. IMO switch looks like NES/N64 game design.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#73  Edited By skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@scrollinglayers: We thought it was 600 flops. This puts it next to Xbox One which is amazing for a hybrid.

It's 1024 FLOPS in half precision. You are comparing the half precision floating point performance to single precision.

cores*clock*2=theoretical peak single precision floating point performance

According to these specs the Switch is capable of 512 GFLOPS SP performance; 40% of the performance of the Xbone.

Half precision is really only good for e-penis measuring contests. The fact that they bothered to use this metric indicates to me that this is more of a fanboy wish list than an actual leak.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

This is sad when cell phones have better specs than the switch smdh.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 iandizion713

@no-scope-AK47: My Iphone 7 cant play a game like Breath of the Wild.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#76 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Nintendo Switch. Shittier than Xbone, better than 3DS. Great marketing right there.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 iandizion713

@xboxiphoneps3: Cant wait, nothing ive seen is even close.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@Desmonic said:

Shield TV's Tegra X1 at 1 Ghz has ~512 GFLOPS and 20 watts power consumption.

Pixel C 's Tegra X1 at 850 Mhz has 435 GFLOPS and 15 watts power consumption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adreno

Qualcomm Snapdragon 821's Adreno 530 IGP can reached up to 519.2 GFLOPS Fp32 or +1 TFLOPS Fp16.

With Eurogamer's reveal on Switch clock speeds (especially the GPU) the docked mode turns out 393 GFLOPS (at 768 Mhz) while the undocked / portable mode turns out 157 GFLOPS (at 307 MHz).

Yep, these are the facts, going by the information we have at present, regarding Switch's GPU performance.

I don't expect this to change with the released product.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ronvalencia

@skektek said:
@iandizion713 said:

@scrollinglayers: We thought it was 600 flops. This puts it next to Xbox One which is amazing for a hybrid.

It's 1024 FLOPS in half precision. You are comparing the half precision floating point performance to single precision.

cores*clock*2=theoretical peak single precision floating point performance

According to these specs the Switch is capable of 512 GFLOPS SP performance; 40% of the performance of the Xbone.

Half precision is really only good for e-penis measuring contests. The fact that they bothered to use this metric indicates to me that this is more of a fanboy wish list than an actual leak.

Higher GFLOPS can be memory bandwidth bound note why Shield TV still loses to Xbox 360 and this is for Xbox 360 game ports.

PS; Doom 3 is an original Xbox game.

Relative to Xbox 360, Shield TV's IGP has an advantage when it comes to higher shader program complexity.

Madc0w1011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Madc0w1011
Member since 2016 • 39 Posts

Can we all just take a second to realize that Nintendo is actually doing something

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 FireEmblem_Man

Unreal Engine 4.15 Update is experimentally supported on the Switch, from Gamasutra

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

What's the point of this as a mobile unit if it only lasts 3hrs.

Which is the same as 3DS and we know how much of a failure that was as a handheld amirite.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@no-scope-AK47: My Iphone 7 cant play a game like Breath of the Wild.

Why not it has better specs everyplace and a better display and better battery life possibly. It's not a good thing when your new console is weaker than a cell phone from 2016.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By iandizion713

@no-scope-AK47: Cause it just cant. My Iphone 7 can barely run Nintendo's mobile games with good battery life.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ronvalencia

@iandizion713 said:

@no-scope-AK47: Cause it just cant. My Iphone 7 can barely run Nintendo's mobile games with good battery life.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 iandizion713

@ronvalencia: Look like some Vita games, should be fun when they finally release.