Rumor: Nintendo using Eternal Darkness name for Shadow of the Eternal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Well, this could be good for the cult fans of Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube. Nintendo has always keep trademarking Eternal Darkness and keep teasing us Nintendo fans whether they do a reboot, remake, or a sequel to the game.

Shadow of the Eternals was a kickstarter game that failed twice due to Dennis Dyack's involvement to the project. At first it was going to be for the Wii U, then would be a multiplatform game, but now it maybe an exclusive NX game bearing the name Eternal Darkness and Nintendo may have picked up the developmental rights for the game to be made.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Not that I liked this game, I thought it was overrated, but regardless, what good would a sequel be without the team behind it making it? Was the game and story and universe franchise worthy beyond the need for the original team? I mean, it's not like there haven't had HP Lovecraft inspired games before, way more than I could shake a stick at I'm sure, why not just make another?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

I doubt it. Who's going to want to touch what Dyack has under his wing after his backlash?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

I doubt it. Who's going to want to touch what Dyack has under his wing after his backlash?

Who cares? I want another Eternal Darkness game or at least a remake! If you're the type who only plays games on the character of the developer, then you got issues. I have issues with Randy Pitchford, but you don't see me complaining about the Borderlands series.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Who cares? I want another Eternal Darkness game or at least a remake!

I think spiritual successors are the way to go. Even if say Nintendo has a controlling share in the IP then I suspect when it involves a company like Silicon Knight, which is defunct, it becomes increasingly difficult to release a sequel or a remake without directing any due royalty payments to the appropriate party or individual who retains any share. They went bankrupts, so who knows who owns the rights now? For all we know, SK's shares in royalties might be with a some holding company still in possession liquidating their assets. Maybe some company paid their bankruptcy debts to get their office equipment cheap (desks, computers, monitors, phone systems, cubicles, servers, etc etc), and had no interest in engaging with or managing any of the non-tangible gaming assets they might technically possess. I think this is why just certain games people want to see never see the light of day in any digital BC libraries. An example of this again might be Tetrisphere, which again Nintendo owns but the development team behind it probably has a royalty stake in it too, at least that's what I assume as the game was friggin awesome and Nintendo hasn't bothered releasing it an Wii or Wii U VC or even releasing a remake, sequel, or anything like that since, and the company that made it pretty much just made that and upped and vanished.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

This is a very good rumor. Nintendo still has a bunch of the games mechanics patented. So only way for a true Eternal Darkness sequel is through them. It could be a launch title for the NX, would make a bold statement with such a release. Eternal Darkness was the first ever rated M game to be published by Nintendo from a third party developer.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34607 Posts

Who is Dennis Dyack and what did he do?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iandizion713

@Litchie: They did Too Human and X-men Destiny. After this, many claimed they werent any good and rumors spread that only reason Eternal Darkness was good was Miyamoto and Iwata and them were guiding it. Then with Metal Gear Snakes: Twin Snakes on Gamecube, it was rumored Kojima was the man behind that, he even handled the combat for the game.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Litchie

@iandizion713: OK, thanks. Would be a shame if such a cool IP were to be developed by people who aren't good at making games. Hopefully Nintendo does something with it soon.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iandizion713

@Litchie: I think theyre good at making games, but media and negativity can hurt a company pretty bad. Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes were contract jobs, meaning they would get paid even if game sells good or not.

Which might make you think, o, theyll just go weak and get paid, but its usually different. Usually when these studios get these deals, they take risk and make great stuff cause publisher takes the pressure off. And as long as publisher isnt breathing down your neck cause you owe them, great things can happen.

But then something happened, Silicon Knights no longer wanted to work with Nintendo, or vise versa, or they just wanted to try and make more money somewhere else.

Too Human was suppose to release on Playstation in 1999, but then they signed contract for Nintendo and started developing for Gamecube. This game was put on hold because Nintendo wanted to do Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, so when contract was up, they took Too Human to Xbox 360 when they signed a deal with them to do a trilogy. That trilogy never came to light as Microsoft most likely paid them and canceled their contract.

Then they signed a contract with Activision and started developing X-men: Destiny, but due to Disney acquiring Marvel, their budget was reduced at insane amounts and developers were not told in order to keep morale high.

After this, Silicon Knight were accused by ill and uninformed people and media, that they had keep a bunch of money to save for Eternal Darkness 2 which was rumored in development at the time, after that it was all downhill and the dude has still continued to try and get his new game made.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Litchie

@iandizion713: Sounds like an unfortunate series of events. Thanks, for the info man. Hopefully they'll get a break.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Is this another SuperMetalDumbass64 video? If so, I see no reason to care.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iandizion713

@techhog89: Very true, these dudes just trying to make money.