Rumor: new Zelda game might actually feature Zelda as the main character!

• 65 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45392 Posts

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/the-legend-of-zelda-nintendo-switch-2-new-game-link/

A new Legend of Zelda game is rumored to be making a huge change to the series that some fans may not like. Right now, there's no denying The Legend of Zelda as an IP is only second to Mario when it comes to importance to Nintendo. Whether it's The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, or just about any other mainline Zelda game, you're talking about one of the greatest games of all time. Over the years, Nintendo has experimented with the formula, to an extent, but a couple things never change. For example, Link is always the protagonist, but this may be changing.

Over on social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, occasional Nintendo leaker PapaGenos -- who built a reputation for scoops on the back of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate -- seems to be hinting at a new Zelda game starring not Link, but Zelda herself.

More specifically, the YouTuber took to X and made the following post: "Tears of the kingdom Had a great zelda design I think we are Severely overdue for a game where zelda Is the main character. Seems to me A Hyrule adventure like that Is something fans want, Nows The time."

In addition to being very random, this post appears to be equally cryptic because when you combine all the capital letters in the post -- which seem scattershot, but are clearly deliberate -- it spells out "this is a hint." In other words, the YouTuber is hinting at Zelda game starring Zelda. Whether it is a mainline adventure, a spin-off, or a smaller release within the franchise, it is not specified. The blurb above is the extent of the hint.

There is also no word whether this will be the next release in the series, or just a future release in development. Whatever the case, whatever it winds up being, it will presumably be a Nintendo Switch2 game.

Thoughts, SW? Would you welcome this change in a mainline Zelda game? I think I would.. or better yet, let us play as both? Have us switch it up.

Ospi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ospi
Member since 2006 • 562 Posts

Id be keen for a shake up. I don't think there's much they could do with Link that won't feel stale.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

Do anything but rehash BoTW for the third time in a row. I don't want Fromsoft bangers to be in another galaxy when compared to Zelda.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2481 Posts

Shitpost article. Just assumes fans may not like it, to stir controversy.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44448 Posts

Interesting. I’d certainly be open to something like that myself.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

I'm all for a game starring Zelda. She tends to have an active and instrumental role in Zelda games, albeit behind the scenes in many instances.

It would be cool to have a game entirely from her perspective, and Link being the swordsman that comes and goes in the story.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70202 Posts

That would be a great change.👍🏽

Edit: However, if they do that you will have the fragiles claiming it is an attack on men.😂

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9888 Posts

Usually Nintendo don't just switch the character and do the same gameplay. The games starring Luigi as a main are radically different than the Mario games. So a game in the Zelda universe with a new main character sounds super exciting to me!

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Warm_Gun

Would it funny if the game with Zelda as protagonist was called The Legend of Link.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7343 Posts

I always felt "The Missing Link" was a title just sitting there waiting to be a game.

That said, this rumor has come up several times in the past and never panned out.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34731 Posts

That rumor again?

I'm not against it, nor especially for it. Just give me a neat game.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

all Zelda fans would love this

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Warm_Gun

@judaspete: Fan game The Missing Link was rather inventive, having solutions Nintendo would never dare put in their game.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22410 Posts

I'm up for any Zelda game that isn't in the same style & design as BOTW/TOTK. We need smaller focused Zeldas too, like past games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22871 Posts

Sounds fun... And would he s great way to keep the franchise fresh.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3743 Posts

Zelda saving link sounds good.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#17 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19670 Posts

38 years later... Zelda finally gets to be the star of a Zelda game!

CD-i game doesn't count.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Warm_Gun

@tjandmia said:

Sounds pretty lame, like done just because it can be. If we're going to play as Zelda for once, why do we need Link (or Ganon) at all?

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1279 Posts

Hasn't it always had Zelda as the protagonist?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

With how poor Nintendo writers are, i don't see this being interesting in any way. Might get additional points from the likes of Kotaku/Polygon cuz womenz are powerfulz.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jag85
@warm_gun said:
@tjandmia said:

Sounds pretty lame, like done just because it can be. If we're going to play as Zelda for once, why do we need Link (or Ganon) at all?

Swapping Zelda and Link roles would just be lazy writing. They need to come up with a different scenario for Zelda's story arc.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5281 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@warm_gun said:
@tjandmia said:

Swapping Zelda and Link roles would just be lazy writing. They need to come up with a different scenario for Zelda's story arc.

Is Princess Peach Showtime! a good idea to consider as Peach in that game does not play like a Mario platformer.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Warm_Gun

@Jag85 said:
@warm_gun said:
@tjandmia said:

And make her gameplay more about Wisdom rather than Courage. Avoid combat altogether.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jag85
@onesiphorus said:
@Jag85 said:
@warm_gun said:
@tjandmia said:

Is Princess Peach Showtime! a good idea to consider as Peach in that game does not play like a Mario platformer.

I don't know what that game is about.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15592 Posts

They should have done it for Tears of the Kingdom where it made so much sense given that Link was already full powered and Zelda just came out of hibernation, but they were being as lazy and boring with the BotW sequel story as possible. Instead they did the rote "oops some random attack arbitrarily nerfed you back to 0 and stole your powers" thing like they always do in Metroid games, and then kept Link.

It sucks because honestly I want to see them try a LoZ game where you aren't using weapons most of the time. Zelda herself is more of a caster in all the games so having a game focus on spells instead of swordplay at the core level would be an interesting shakeup for a modern action adventure.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34731 Posts
@warm_gun said:
@Jag85 said:
@warm_gun said:
@tjandmia said:

And make her gameplay more about Wisdom rather than Courage. Avoid combat altogether.

Yeah, I don't get the fascination. Yay, I'm Zelda now instead of Link. That's.. great. Or something.

Like, so? Is the game good? Fans pushing for a playable Zelda instead of something like more dungeons is super lame to me. If Nintendo made that true, it would just feel like they'd do it just because dumb fans have wanted it for a long time, for some reason I don't understand. And a Zelda without combat isn't Zelda. That's a spinoff. People want a spinoff more than real Zelda?

Sometimes I'm really glad Nintendo doesn't listen to their fans.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3049 Posts

.....Nahhh

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7275 Posts

why bother we have plenty of female roles know. I feel like they are forcing these developers to have leed female. unless you can choose between male and female 99% its a female.

don't mind female roles but common they all feel and look the same. even act the same.

no more unique female roles any more. I feel its hurting female characters.

now its females with male jaw lines and features.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro  Online

@Pedro said:

Edit: However, if they do that you will have the fragiles claiming it is an attack on men.😂

@gifford38 said:

why bother we have plenty of female roles know. I feel like they are forcing these developers to have leed female. unless you can choose between male and female 99% its a female.

don't mind female roles but common they all feel and look the same. even act the same.

😂

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44238 Posts

Nuff said. lol :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#33 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59262 Posts

@gifford38 said:

It seems to me like you mind female roles but are trying to buffer it by saying you don't mind female roles.

imo.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23975 Posts

@gifford38 said:

Because playing as Zelda, as opposed to Link opens up a lot of new gameplay opportunities. Namely a far greater focus on magic and spellcasting.

In D&D terms, Link might be a Fighter or Ranger (in games where he has some magical aptitude). But Zelda is a Wizard.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#35 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59262 Posts

Cooking skill will go up.

Everything else down.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44448 Posts

@uninspiredcup: So laundry, dish washing, and knitting will be dlc then?

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7022 Posts

Why not let us play as both and make them play completely different? Make Zelda more of a mage/sorc type and Link the fighter/ranger type.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8344 Posts

@silentchief said:

Why not let us play as both and make them play completely different? Make Zelda more of a mage/sorc type and Link the fighter/ranger type.

This would be the best move. Would give us some move variety in combat. Could have dungeons made around both skill sets. Not to mention Zelda has the alter ego Sheik, so they could even do the agile ninja skill set with her as well. Doesn't mean you have to get rid of Link, but it would be cool to have a Zelda game with a more varied move set between protaganists.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gifford38

@Maroxad said:
@gifford38 said:

Because playing as Zelda, as opposed to Link opens up a lot of new gameplay opportunities. Namely a far greater focus on magic and spellcasting.

In D&D terms, Link might be a Fighter or Ranger (in games where he has some magical aptitude). But Zelda is a Wizard.

that would be cool. but be nice to be able to switch between the 2 to open even more gameplay.

just weird being zelda instead of link.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gifford38
@uninspiredcup said:
@gifford38 said:

It seems to me like you mind female roles but are trying to buffer it by saying you don't mind female roles.

imo.

no I don't but most of the time I picture being the character. kind of hard to do that when 90% of games now your female. only a few games now offer male and female characters.

am I the only one who pictures you being the character?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gifford38
@Pedro said:
@Pedro said:

@gifford38 said:

😂

why is that so funny?

am I the only one who pictures being the main characters in games any more?

kind of hard to do that know when most major games are female characters.

so mcu are not forcing female super hero everything know?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pedro  Online
@gifford38 said:

why is that so funny?

am I the only one who pictures being the main characters in games any more?

kind of hard to do that know when most major games are female characters.

so mcu are not forcing female super hero everything know?

@gifford38 said:

no I don't but most of the time I picture being the character. kind of hard to do that when 90% of games now your female. only a few games now offer male and female characters.

am I the only one who pictures you being the character?

You have a problem with discerning fact from fiction and reality from fantasy. Your world view is a fantasy fiction caused by chronic ignorance. Until you are capable of overcoming your handicap, there is no possible way of having a meaningful conversation.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11255 Posts

Finally! The title will make sense!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidGame_basic

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Should gamers who had expected to play as Zelda get a refund in this case?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

That would be amazing. We need more shine on our strong female warriors in the gaming industry.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidGame_basic

@mesome713 said:

That would be amazing. We need more shine on our strong female warriors in the gaming industry.

You mean like Aloy, from Sony first party franchise, Horizon Zero Dawn?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5281 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

How many video game titles even make sense anymore? Fire Emblem? Final Fantasy? Dragon Quest? Grand Theft Auto? Halo? God of War?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7343 Posts

@gifford38: There are more female leads now, sure, but we ain't exactly lacking dudes in our games. You got Kratos, Master Chief, Leon and Ethan, two Spider Men, Kal Kestis, whoever was in the last Assassin's Creed...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro  Online

@onesiphorus said:

How many video game titles even make sense anymore? Fire Emblem? Final Fantasy? Dragon Quest? Grand Theft Auto? Halo? God of War?

You are correct.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11255 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Very few. Most video game titles are relic or legacy titles strictly for branding anyway