RPG of the year?

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@blueinheaven: Nothing "generic" about the Xenoblade series going by all the critical acclaim for one. They're not going to hand out high scores all around over something that is generic, plus there's a lot of artistic beauty in X. About the only faults you can justify are graphics (which are still pretty good) and lack of innovation. Things that could be said for a lot of games out there.

I think Xenoblade Chronicles X will be The Witcher 3's only real competition for RPGs this year.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Bloodborne because an awesome looking setting with the best combat in its genre is goty material. I haven't played TW3 *yet* but with its pathetic combat i wouldn't be surprised if BB is a much better game as a whole.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts
@silversix_ said:

Bloodborne because an awesome looking setting with the best combat in its genre is goty material. I haven't played TW3 *yet* but with its pathetic combat i wouldn't be surprised if BB is a much better game as a whole.

Dark Souls has always been on a fine line between ARPG and action game with RPG elements, but regardless of my own opinion on BB. It's safe to say that Bloodborne is mislabeled an RPG. If BB was an RPG I'd have to start considering God of War and DMC Role Playing Games, and I'd rather not do that.

It might be GOTY material, but it's not RPG of the year material.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#54 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart: Have you played Bloodborne?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#55 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@charizard1605: no and not the Witcher 3 either.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#56  Edited By deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Well Xenoblade isn't out yet, nor Bravely Second and If Persona 5 comes this year, then my vote goes for that one. I don't care about the Witcher open box style nor Bloodborne.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@skelly34: Amen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@LegatoSkyheart: Trust me, Bloodborne is better.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#59  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Witcher 3 > Bloodborne.

If Bloodborne offered incentive to play the game after beating it once I'd probably say otherwise.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LegatoSkyheart

@charizard1605: I don't know. The Witcher looks more interesting than Dark Souls 3

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

Witcher 3 > Bloodborne.

If Bloodborne offered incentive to play the game after beating it once I'd probably say otherwise.

Same.

That and more items/builds.

and better PvP.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

Witcher 3.

Unfortunately this game cannot even do basic combat properly.

Amazing. You can't construct a decent thread.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

Witcher 3 > Bloodborne.

I do need to check it out after I finish Bloodbourne. I've heard great things.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@LegatoSkyheart: As someone who has played both, I can tell you that those impressions are incorrect.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

I had more fun in the first couple of hours with Bloodborne than I've had in 15 hours of Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 is great. Bloodborne is just awesome.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#66 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I think it's going to be Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XV, but we'll see

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#67  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Having now fully completed Shadowrun: Dragonfall, a highly impressive game, it appears Shadowrun: Hong Kong could indeed be valid competition for Pillars Of Eternity.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#68  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

It's probably worth noting as well my friends, this game (Shadowrun) is also released for tablets, once again proof the platform can have story rich, complex gameplay and that it isn't mandatory to have shitty scamywamy pay to win titles.

A platform truly squandered.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

@charizard1605: I mean, I've played both, and I can totally see why he would prefer TW3 over BB. Nothing incorrect about it.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Is SMT x Fire Emblem coming this year? Probably not game of the year but I do love both series on their own.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@freedomfreak said:

@charizard1605: I mean, I've played both, and I can totally see why he would prefer TW3 over BB. Nothing incorrect about it.

I will absolutely not argue opinions, yes- but they need to be opinions based on something. Without having played both of them, I don't think one should pass one game as being better than the other. I stated my opinion there- you can state yours, and, say (assuming this is true- if not, let it be a hypothetical) you like TW3 more. In that case, I won't argue with you- you've played both games and decided on which one works for you best.

Passing an opinion on both games without having played both of them first is what seems to be a little dodgy to me.

That said, viewed only from the perspective of objective parameters, what would you say TW3 does better than BB? I can think of maybe world size/scope and graphics. Personally - and of course, feel free to disagree here - I think that in every other area I can think of, the two are either matched, or Bloodborne is better.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 freedomfreak
@charizard1605 said:

I will absolutely not argue opinions, yes- but they need to be opinions based on something. Without having played both of them, I don't think one should pass one game as being better than the other. I stated my opinion there- you can state yours, and, say (assuming this is true- if not, let it be a hypothetical) you like TW3 more. In that case, I won't argue with you- you've played both games and decided on which one works for you best.

Passing an opinion on both games without having played both of them first is what seems to be a little dodgy to me.

That said, viewed only from the perspective of objective parameters, what would you say TW3 does better than BB? I can think of maybe world size/scope and graphics. Personally - and of course, feel free to disagree here - I think that in every other area I can think of, the two are either matched, or Bloodborne is better.

It's just the "you're incorrect" thing that caught me off guard.

As far as what Witcher does better? World, both detail and how convincing it is. Sense of adventure. Characters and story, not to mention I'm already more invested in this universe, where Bloodborne just starts anew, and honestly I don't dig it as much. Then again, the only Souls game I liked story/character wise, was Demon's Souls. I'd give combat to Bloodborne, obviously, although I prefer the way you can go about fighting a creature in TW3. Bombs, oils, magic. There's shit like that in Bloodborne, too, but I never once felt inclined to use any of that.

As an overall package, I'm getting more enjoyment out of TW3. This can still change, because the same happened with Bloodborne.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

You forgot about

Serpent of the Staglands, a game I enjoyed more than Pillars of Eternity, by having a lot less trash encounters for starters.
UnderRail, a game I havent played, but those who have have said nothing but positive stuff about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@freedomfreak said:
@charizard1605 said:

It's just the "you're incorrect" thing that caught me off guard.

As far as what Witcher does better? World, both detail and how convincing it is. Sense of adventure. Characters and story, not to mention I'm already more invested in this universe, where Bloodborne just starts anew, and honestly I don't dig it as much. Then again, the only Souls game I liked story/character wise, was Demon's Souls. I'd give combat to Bloodborne, obviously, although I prefer the way you can go about fighting a creature in TW3. Bombs, oils, magic. There's shit like that in Bloodborne, too, but I never once felt inclined to use any of that.

As an overall package, I'm getting more enjoyment out of TW3. This can still change, because the same happened with Bloodborne.

Yeah, that was probably poorly worded on my part. I was posting on my phone while surrounded by screaming kids at work, lol.

I'd say Bloodborne has the better world and lore. Sense of adventure though, yes, I would give that to Witcher. Same with characters, I guess, though story, again, to Bloodborne. I can understand having a preference for The Witcher's fantasy world, though, which makes you dig it more than Bloodborne's setting. Personally, I've always had a thing for dark psychological/Lovecraftian horror, and Bloodborne is right up my alley lol.

Not arguing with you or anything, btw, just basically discussing two very good games, and where we stand on each. I figure this shouldn't be a thing I have to say, but this is System Wars, and it's very easy to misconstrue the other person's intent lol.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 freedomfreak
@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, that was probably poorly worded on my part. I was posting on my phone while surrounded by screaming kids at work, lol.

I'd say Bloodborne has the better world and lore. Sense of adventure though, yes, I would give that to Witcher. Same with characters, I guess, though story, again, to Bloodborne. I can understand having a preference for The Witcher's fantasy world, though, which makes you dig it more than Bloodborne's setting. Personally, I've always had a thing for dark psychological/Lovecraftian horror, and Bloodborne is right up my alley lol.

Not arguing with you or anything, btw, just basically discussing two very good games, and where we stand on each. I figure this shouldn't be a thing I have to say, but this is System Wars, and it's very easy to misconstrue the other person's intent lol.

Cool. Easily understandable if screaming kids were part of the message not coming across correctly. Nobody likes that.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

I want The Witcher 3. I bet it's good fun and that the game world is something to admire. And I would bet it is a better RPG than Bloodborne is, but probably not a better action game. Still, so far it's Bloodborne far and away. Few games can match it's atmosphere and charm other than, well, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. But i'd argue those two are also better in the RPG department. Bloodborne had the burden of being an excellent action game while incorporating plausable RPG elements. And that's all they are, plausable. Severe lack in content is a problem for a game of this scale. But overall the majority of the time playing it was really fun and rewarding. It's also a specticle and has some incredible imagery.

It's art style is unlike anything I've seen before. The guys at From Soft have incredible imaginations.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LegatoSkyheart

@judaspete: probably a 2016 game

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@ProtossX said:

i need to play pillars

Me too, but I can't freaking stand real time with pause.. These games need to be turn based in which movement, positioning etc etc actually matter instead of just having your fighters kind of block a place? I mean people need to freaking take their nostalgia glasses off and realize that Baldur's Gate 2, though a great game, had some massive balancing and mechanical problems to it based around this system.. Numerous fights were dumbed down because of the real time with pause having to completely axe out abilities and mechanics the pnp version has.. The dragon fights in that game were god damn messes and really didn't convey how complicated those fights were suppose to be in the pnp version.. AKA it was dumbed down.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#79 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@freedomfreak: Played Bloodborne?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 freedomfreak

@Blabadon: From beginning 'til finish.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Blabadon

@freedomfreak: Quick impressions? Do you feel bad like I do for almost instantly comparing to Dark Souls?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 freedomfreak

@Blabadon: No, because let's be real, it's a Souls game. It's just that this one seems to have a more aggressive, straight forward way of doing things. Equipment and build-wise, you know. I'm not gonna delude myself into thinking it's vastly different from other Souls games, because it isn't.

And I really like Bloodborne, although it's not my favorite Souls game. Demon's still takes the spot, with Dark Souls following it. I like it, and I'm looking forward to the DLC.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Blabadon

@freedomfreak: definitely is, I just really meant in terms of "man this world isn't as good as Lordran" or "the lack of ascension paths stinks"

Like the places where Miyazaki clearly wanted to forge a path in a different manner, I just wonder if it's fair I compare it to Dark Souls. The world isn't meant to have things like item sellers in it, but at the same time, I wish it did. Stuff like that.

Still, good to know you liked it. Witcher 3 treating you well?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 freedomfreak

@Blabadon: I totally get what you're saying. It's where BB felt short to me. You know, how you went around DS or DS2, you'd always be meeting interest people, they'd help you out if you wanted to. There was a sense of adventure BB just doesn't have. It feels more like getting from point A to B, and so on, in a fairly sterile way. Not much going on. The Insight stuff is cool though.

As far as TW3, I really needed an adventure, rpg like that. Haven't played that in a while, besides the Souls games, and I don't really put them in the same category. Combat is still clunky, but that world has me by its claws. I find it hard to put down, not to mention I like the side content, because it feels more like a little side-story rather than GET ME 10 PIECES OF MUTTON, BIATCH, so far that, it's definitely cool.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@freedomfreak: But it does ask you to go search for a goat lol.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 freedomfreak

@charizard1605: Obviously not all side quests will be brilliant, but they are far better than any other side quest I've come across. It feels like they actually put some thought into the motivation of the person asking you it.

The mutton thing was a reference to Nier, and at no point, has the game been as fest-questy as Nier. No game ever will. Well, maybe Dead Island..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@freedomfreak: The goat quest was in the main game :p

But yeah, on the whole, I really like how much thought was put into the context of the side quests.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By freedomfreak

@charizard1605: Don't even remember that one. Was that one on a notification board? There's so many quest you can run by.

Edit: Oh right. With the Pellar. Stupid me.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Blabadon

@freedomfreak: Exactly. The sense of adventure in Bloodborne is just not there. There's no middle and end as clearly as there is in Dark Souls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@freedomfreak: Yep. My reaction to that was

... Really?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

The Witcher 3. Freakin' phenomenal.

I have yet to play PoE, so my opinion may change, but I doubt it.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#92 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Witcher 3.

@Ballroompirate said:

The only correct answer is The Witcher 3

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

Bloodborne

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#94 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

C'mon guys TW3 is a great game, but gameplay-wise its nothing to write home about. The controls are a tad bit clunky and the combat isn't the best either

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#95 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I really don't see any RPG topping The Witcher 3, any time soon. It may take decades to do so!

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:
@ProtossX said:

i need to play pillars

Me too, but I can't freaking stand real time with pause.. These games need to be turn based in which movement, positioning etc etc actually matter instead of just having your fighters kind of block a place? I mean people need to freaking take their nostalgia glasses off and realize that Baldur's Gate 2, though a great game, had some massive balancing and mechanical problems to it based around this system.. Numerous fights were dumbed down because of the real time with pause having to completely axe out abilities and mechanics the pnp version has.. The dragon fights in that game were god damn messes and really didn't convey how complicated those fights were suppose to be in the pnp version.. AKA it was dumbed down.

Real time with pause combat is just something that never should have happened though it seemed like a good idea at the time. I hated the combat in POE. It also pissed me right off that they made the combat pointless (no exp) because they reckon people want to talk their way through quests because obviously that's much more exciting.

POE should have been turn based and the combat would have been 100 times more interesting and tactical. I stopped playing that game anyway because I just couldn't hack the awful voice overs.

Witcher 3 GOTY for me so far and I can't see anything on the horizon that will beat it except maybe Divinity Original Sin Enhanced. It will be interesting to see what they do with that on console. Numenara is going the pointless combat route and I think that's real time with pause as well. I'll probably skip it completely.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#97  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

@Blabadon: I totally get what you're saying. It's where BB felt short to me. You know, how you went around DS or DS2, you'd always be meeting interest people, they'd help you out if you wanted to. There was a sense of adventure BB just doesn't have. It feels more like getting from point A to B, and so on, in a fairly sterile way. Not much going on. The Insight stuff is cool though.

As far as TW3, I really needed an adventure, rpg like that. Haven't played that in a while, besides the Souls games, and I don't really put them in the same category. Combat is still clunky, but that world has me by its claws. I find it hard to put down, not to mention I like the side content, because it feels more like a little side-story rather than GET ME 10 PIECES OF MUTTON, BIATCH, so far that, it's definitely cool.

I disagree with the lack of a sense of adventure, given how bizarre the game gets once the game goes full lovecraft, the isolation oriented nature worked in the games favor. It was more in line with what I'd want from a horror experience with very little help to talk to, the way the dream/reality stuff works, the way frenzy/insight plays into, to fucking space aliens. It was probably the first time in the series I was genuinely curious about reading the lore items, but I've always wanted the series to be more Metroid than Castlevania.

Purely as a game the franchise has been at its best in providing mechanical satisfaction with personal triumph, which was no different in Bloodborne. Even the world design in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls always played to those strengths. Yeah they had atmosphere, but the stuff that made it cool was how it was connected, how it flowed with the games rhythm, how it made your path back to a boss easier, etc, etc, etc.

Game has two noteworthy shitty areas though, and those chalice dungeons are fucking lame. Interesting concept, lousy execution.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#98 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

The more I play Witcher 3 the more bored I get...

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

Witcher 3.

@Ballroompirate said:

The only correct answer is The Witcher 3

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#100 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts
@ddlcpc said:

Bloodborne

Bloodborne doesnt feel much like a RPG, more like action/adventure. It is not much of quests or story, yes it is story there but it is very bad it is in the gameplay/fighting Bloodborne shines.