Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 announced !!! for mobile

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

After years of waiting, Atari has finally announced a sequel to the amazing Rollercoaster Tycoon series ... for iphone and ipad

Get hyped !

Edit: perhaps not all hope is lost

RollerCoaster Tycoon is back and it's coming to mobile! Rest assured, there is a PC experience in production now for release this year!

— atari (@atari) March 17, 2014

perhaps...

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Ahh man, absolute cretins. :'(

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

And here i was hoping they would just port the original to mobile. So I guess this is another cow-clicker?

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

The final deathblow to the console industry

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k

"It's finally here" - Trailer

Hahahahahahahahaha ... oh :(

@treedoor said:

If anything, I think this is killing PC gaming. Age of Empires doesn't get a sequel on PC, instead it gets one on iphone. Same with Dungeon Keeper, same with this.

Why can't we have a proper PC sequel ? Why do they ruin all these great PC franchises, along with Simcity and C&C by EA

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By treedoor
@R4gn4r0k said:

@treedoor said:

If anything, I think this is killing PC gaming. Age of Empires doesn't get a sequel on PC, instead it gets one on iphone. Same with Dungeon Keeper, same with this.

Why can't we have a proper PC sequel ? Why do they ruin all these great PC franchises, along with Simcity and C&C by EA

Because it's Atari, because Ensemble is gone, and because EA

PC gaming will survive this. It is in a golden age after all afro

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

@blangenakker said:

And here i was hoping they would just port the original to mobile. So I guess this is another cow-clicker?

I'm sure they'll turn this into another dungeon keeper/star trek/simpsons game where you do nothing but sit around and wait hours for one attraction to build, and you can speed up that process by spending monies.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k

@treedoor said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

@treedoor said:

Because it's Atari, because Ensemble is gone, and because EA

PC gaming will survive this. It is in a golden age after all

Sure, PC is still getting lots of great games.

But it's just a shame that these companies are so tempted to make greedy iphone games, that are under the guise of free to play, but they are actually build around milking the shit out of people. And don't make the proper sequel that fans deserve.

The worst thing about this whole thing is there was actually a thread a while back asking people what they wanted from a RCT sequel. Many people gave good suggestions on how to improve upon previous RCT games.

And atari said: fvck that. We'll just make a free to play game and the only thing we'll add is you now have to spend hours for one attraction to build and you can speed up that process if you pay.

vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts

Awesome. Even though the series deserves a full PC release I'm glad to see the game is back and also it looks like it's going back to its roots. I loved Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2. I didn't enjoy 3 as much the layout was horrible even though it did add new features.

Zaraxius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Zaraxius
Member since 2013 • 221 Posts

The only one I really liked was Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. I would always try to see who wasn't enjoying the park and drow- Nah, I'm just kidding. They all sucked.

vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vincent380

It saddens me to see it's turned to a this type of business model, I really hate these companies sometimes. People will gladly buy a full Rollercoaster Tycoon game, fans have been waiting for years.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

"Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 announced !!!" - Hell yeah. Can´t wait...

then i read... "for iphone and ipad" - FUUUUUUU

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

My hope for humanity lessened significantly when I saw it was for the iPhone and iPad...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@FreedomFreeLife said:

"Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 announced !!!" - Hell yeah. Can´t wait...

then i read... "for iphone and ipad" - FUUUUUUU

Yeah, most people's reaction was like that. Just check the comments under the youtube video... Everyone is disappointed :(

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

@treedoor said:

Huh? The RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise was never on consoles. It has been strictly a PC franchise.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

I guess we should change system wars to "announcement wars" since its essentially just becoming a place for people to try and post as many game announcements as possible knowing SW gets the most traffic and they hope to get the most views because they equate post counts to their threads with doing well in life.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

@Gargus said:

I guess we should change system wars to "announcement wars" since its essentially just becoming a place for people to try and post as many game announcements as possible knowing SW gets the most traffic and they hope to get the most views because they equate post counts to their threads with doing well in life.

Please like my thread :'(

I need it to do well in life :'(

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@Puggy301 said:

@treedoor said:

Huh? The RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise was never on consoles. It has been strictly a PC franchise.

Wrong

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#20 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Mobile? :|

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Hopefully it come out for Android so I can play it on my tablet, or better yet port to PC. I really don't think I want to play this game my tiny iPhone screen. Games where you have to place stuff sucks on the iPhone.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#22 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

My hope for humanity lessened significantly when I saw it was for the iPhone and iPad...

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

**** SAKE

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#25 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Someone somewhere at Atari said to his subordinates, "Let's do something that makes us money. Let's look at the gaming landscape, see where people are migrating, and then meet them there."

And Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 for mobile was born.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@musicalmac said:

Someone somewhere at Atari said to his subordinates, "Let's do something that makes us money. Let's look at the gaming landscape, see where people are migrating, and then meet them there."

Did dungeon keeper make a lot of money from extorting people ?

If so, yeah that totally makes it a good business call !

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

:chun:

Im physically ill.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 musicalmac  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

@musicalmac said:

Good F2P is the best model around. Only pay for the parts you'll use, it's not a bad thing at all. Not every F2P game is a good example, and you've cited one of the worst offenders.

That's it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k

@musicalmac said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@musicalmac said:

Good F2P is the best model around. Only pay for the parts you'll use, it's not a bad thing at all. Not every F2P game is a good example, and you've cited one of the worst offenders.

That's it.

But what if it makes money ? than that is a good business strategy.

You said so in your original post: companies need to look at that market and at what makes money. If a F2P model that is built around extorting people makes money, than that is what businesses will go for. We've seen it not only in Dungeon keeper, but also in Star Trek and the Simpsons for example.

If they keep doing this model, it has to make money right ?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@musicalmac:

yeah i agree that there is good f2p like path of exile or real racing 3 on smartphones ( before EA decided they needed more money and destroyed it ) but it seems for every good f2p model there are 20 games with bad f2p business model

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

You said so in your original post: companies need to look at that market and at what makes money. If a F2P model that is built around extorting people makes money, than that is what businesses will go for. We've seen it not only in Dungeon keeper, but also in Star Trek and the Simpsons for example.

I'm not sure I know what you're saying here. Can you clarify your point? Sincere request.

@adamosmaki said:

@musicalmac:

yeah i agree that there is good f2p like path of exile or real racing 3 on smartphones ( before EA decided they needed more money and destroyed it ) but it seems for every good f2p model there are 20 games with bad f2p business model

Sadly, many F2P games do throw roadblocks at you that seem unreasonable. However, bigger name games like Lord of the Rings Online and Planetside 2 (along with the popular MOBA titles) give me hope that the F2P model will gain more good candidates as time goes on.

Same is true for mobile games, which is where a large majority of individuals are migrating. Both new gamers who were given the option of an iPhone or a console/handheld gaming system, and old gamers who have important things to do like raise kids and make money (and consequently can't spend time on the couch playing games anymore).

If you all have any faith in this developer, have faith in them to create a mobile game that embraces really great F2P, or at least that includes the kind of depth we saw in the iOS version of XCom, which is the full retail game!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Atari. I will fucking cut you. Every last one of you.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k

@musicalmac said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

I'm not sure I know what you're saying here. Can you clarify your point? Sincere request.

They could've made a full fledged sequel. That could've made a lot of money, as a lot of fans wanted a sequel.

But you are right, business will go where the money is. But what if that money is found in broken F2P models, should they go for that ? From a business standpoint it totally makes sense, but not from a gamer standpoint.

vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vincent380

"RollerCoaster Tycoon is back and it's coming to mobile! Rest assured, there is a PC experience in production now for release this year!"

Just came from Ataris twitter page. So good news!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@vincent380 said:

"RollerCoaster Tycoon is back and it's coming to mobile! Rest assured, there is a PC experience in production now for release this year!"

Just came from Ataris twitter page. So good news!

Hmmm, that could be good.

If it's a proper sequel and not a port of the mobile version.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k

@charizard1605 said:

Atari. I will fucking cut you. Every last one of you.

They have been bankrupt 2 times now, they aren't scared of anything :p

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#37 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

As soon as the word "mobile" pops up, well, self explanatory.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 musicalmac  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

@musicalmac said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

They could've made a full fledged sequel. That could've made a lot of money, as a lot of fans wanted a sequel.

But you are right, business will go where the money is. But what if that money is found in broken F2P models, should they go for that ? From a business standpoint it totally makes sense, but not from a gamer standpoint.

Not all F2P models are broken. I've spent $7.99 on 58 hours of Lord of the Rings online. If you ask me, that's money well-spent. The same is true for games like LoL. Not all F2P models are bad, and I'd argue that the best F2P games are even better than $60 retail releases.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k

@musicalmac said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@musicalmac said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Not all F2P models are broken. I've spent $7.99 on 58 hours of Lord of the Rings online. If you ask me, that's money well-spent. The same is true for games like LoL. Not all F2P models are bad, and I'd argue that the best F2P games are even better than $60 retail releases.

You didn't answer my question. I was talking about broken F2p models, like I said: Dungeon Keeper, Star Trek, Simpsons, ...

I know there are good F2P games, I don't know why you are telling me this.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Loved playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 when I was younger. Would be interested in another installment, even if it is on a mobile device.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

You didn't answer my question. I was talking about broken F2p models, like I said: Dungeon Keeper, Star Trek, Simpsons, ...

You're asking me if they should make a game with a bad F2P model? I thought that question whas rhetorical.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@musicalmac said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

You're asking me if they should make a game with a bad F2P model? I thought that question whas rhetorical.

No I'm asking if you agree with your own statement if that means a bad game.

Or in other words, is it okay for a company to go after the money if they do so by an absolutely greedy 'free to play' model ?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 musicalmac  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

No I'm asking if you agree with your own statement if that means a bad game.

Or in other words, is it okay for a company to go after the money if they do so by an absolutely greedy 'free to play' model ?

If it's a greedy F2P model, it's going to suck. If it's a good F2P model, it'll not suck. Hopefully, if it's a good F2P model, and the game is fun, it'll be outstanding and the developers will enjoy lots of financial support from loyal fans who want to play the game.

That's all there is to it. F2P games are the most profitable kind, especially on mobile.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@musicalmac said:

If it's a greedy F2P model, it's going to suck. If it's a good F2P model, it'll not suck. Hopefully, if it's a good F2P model, and the game is fun, it'll be outstanding and the developers will enjoy lots of financial support from loyal fans who want to play the game.

That's all there is to it. F2P games are the most profitable kind, especially on mobile.

I don't have anything against F2P games, I've had a lot of fun in some F2P games. I invested money and some and nothing in others.

I just can't agree with your original statement. Just because something makes more money for a business, doesn't mean we consumers should be alright with that. Fans didn't want this, they wanted a proper sequel.

Just because full priced games filled with microtransactions make more money for a business, doesn't mean we as consumers should be alright with that.

I doubt Atari looked at the gaming landscape very much when they made this decision. Just like I doubt EA did when they made Dungeon Keeper. or MS did when they made Flight Simulator or Age of Empires free to play games.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 musicalmac  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

I don't have anything against F2P games, I've had a lot of fun in some F2P games. I invested money and some and nothing in others.

I just can't agree with your original statement. Just because something makes more money for a business, doesn't mean we consumers should be alright with that. Fans didn't want this, they wanted a proper sequel.

Just because full priced games filled with microtransactions make more money for a business, doesn't mean we as consumers should be alright with that.

I doubt Atari looked at the gaming landscape very much when they made this decision. Just like I doubt EA did when they made Dungeon Keeper. or MS did when they made Flight Simulator or Age of Empires free to play games.

Then I don't think you understand the shifting tides in gaming. I'm not trying to be mean, but this post makes it fairly clear.

Just because it's F2P doesn't mean it's not a proper sequel. It just means it's not what you're used to, and you should get used to change because change is coming...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i thought atari died?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 R4gn4r0k

@musicalmac said:

Then I don't think you understand the shifting tides in gaming. I'm not trying to be mean, but this post makes it fairly clear.

Just because it's F2P doesn't mean it's not a proper sequel. It just means it's not what you're used to, and you should get used to change because change is coming...

Just because I understand a business doesn't mean I have to be okay with it.

I'm saying that this F2P game will not be a proper sequel. Some F2P games can be a proper sequel, if done right. I find it hard to believe a RCT for mobile will live up to the greatness of even the first RCT. I highly doubt it.

Color me surprised if this game will have 10% of the depth that RCT 1 had.

@KBFloYd said:

i thought atari died?

They did

Twice

But now they are back with a vengeance !

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Whatever people might say about this mobile version, I actually think it looks good. But, mobile = micro-transactions, so therefore, I'd never buy it.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 and 2 are still awesome games. Probably the best tycoon games ever. Without Chris Sawyer there's simply no need for another title.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#49 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@treedoor said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

@treedoor said:

Sure, PC is still getting lots of great games.

But it's just a shame that these companies are so tempted to make greedy iphone games, that are under the guise of free to play, but they are actually build around milking the shit out of people. And don't make the proper sequel that fans deserve.

The worst thing about this whole thing is there was actually a thread a while back asking people what they wanted from a RCT sequel. Many people gave good suggestions on how to improve upon previous RCT games.

And atari said: fvck that. We'll just make a free to play game and the only thing we'll add is you now have to spend hours for one attraction to build and you can speed up that process if you pay.

This

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 treedoor

@R4gn4r0k said:

Get hyped !

Edit: perhaps not all hope is lost