Resident Evil: Revelations - new videos and first review

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts
http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1214193p1.html "What sets Capcom's new Resident Evil game apart is how convincingly it creates an atmosphere of horror." "That's where much of Revelations' brilliance lies - its ability to immerse you in a believable world. That the game is in 3D, and features settings that allow the player to increase the depth far beyond typical 3DS games, only helps that fact - though I found myself enjoying it regardless of my 3D depth settings. Resident Evil 5 struggled to achieve that same level of immersion because it wanted to be an action movie. It didn't force you to slow down, to be afraid of what was around the corner. It wasn't concerned with limited resources or making you jump. It just wanted you to shoot things." EDIT: more from IGN: "Resident Evil Revelations: No More Zombies. At least not so far. A closer look at the creatures in Capcom's next survival horror game." http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1214341p1.html - most common enemy is the Ooze - Ooze are a collection of pale, gelatinous monsters - they have the ability to flow like liquid - this allows them to emerge from grates, pipes and even laundry machines - the cruise ship is called the Queen Zenobia - the Ooze seem to be on the ship only - new Ooze types will actually shoot projectiles at you - some are far more physically powerful - game has a balance of dishing out enough ammo to the player, as well as making sure you manage your supplies - one point in the game you lose your ammo and guns, but still have to deal with Ooze - you'll come across a fast-moving, twisted fish that simply attempts to bite your head off - there's also a demonic water cockroach - these enemies are tough to kill with traditional weapons - Hunters make an appearance as well ___________ and first review from UK magazine GamesMaster: http://sillegamer.com/2011/12/05/first-resident-evil-revelations-review-is-in/ "Excitedly described as "the game to convince Resi fans that the series is back to its best," the respected magazine proceeds to state that Resident Evil: Revelations is "one of the scariest games ever committed to handheld, and a spectacular return to form." The zombie-ridden title's environments, story-line and overall scares are also praised, with the cruise liner level outlined as "a corking setting for Revelations, with a choking atmosphere trapped inside its creaking hull." 91% Looks and sounds good, I'm looking forward to it.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
I can't wait. I'm going to pre-order it soon to pay it off in advance. Also, I read somewhere in Europe they will end up bundling it with the CPP, so I'm hopeful that the $50 price tag in the USA will include the CPP somehow Getting it either way
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I thought it would flop. But this is good news for the 3DS maybe there will be more interest.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

Looks awesome. :) Might have to buy a 3DS soon. Dem shadows, too :cool:

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

"Resident Evil 5 struggled to achieve that same level of immersion because it wanted to be an action movie. It didn't force you to slow down, to be afraid of what was around the corner. It wasn't concerned with limited resources or making you jump. It just wanted you to shoot things."laus_basic

Ok now I'm interested in this title.

TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts

That last video on the second page creeped me the hell out; Shame it's only on the 3DS -- I really want it. I wish this was another RE5 DLC episode instead or something...

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

good to hear. Its nice to know they finally got people wanted some sense of horror not a action movie.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
God the RE has become such ****.
Nega3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nega3
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts

What's this?

A decent RE game after the POS that was RE5? :o

Oh yeah and Rachel is hawt.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
How the mighty have fallen...First link the guy said RE5 was actually a good game. ....right. Sales=/=Quality. Also RE2 has sold more copies on a single platform than even the hauted RE5. This game looks like a step in the right direction but they are still far too focused on the shooter market to make a good RE game in the end from the looks of it.
Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

That last video on the second page creeped me the hell out; Shame it's only on the 3DS -- I really want it. I wish this was another RE5 DLC episode instead or something...

TecmoGirl

I found it pretty comical tbh.

This game looks amazing though, watching the videos I do not care if it is not going to be survival horror (abundance of ammo) because they seem to be making alot of new enemies this time around and the setting is cool.

RE5 only upset me with the copy+ paste of Resident Evil 4 enemies (loved final boss fight though :D). Capcom is making other devs look lazy with how they push the 3DS's graphics (minus Dead or Alive of course).

Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts

Graphically not impressive. Thanks Nintendo for the crappy, low resolution LCD.

Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Banjo_Kongfooie

TekkenMaster606

Are you killing me, shaders and lighting effects are top notch. Only downside are polygon count which still is pretty good.

This could pass for a vita game.

Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts

Yeah, I don't think so. The capabilites of the Pica are minimal in comparison to PowerVR's chips. I know these games are in 3D which is a huge performance hit but those muddy textures, low poly counts aren't being negated by lighting and shadows that are being surpassed by the A5 and other high end mobile chips.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Looks way better than Resident Evil 4, 5 and Operation Racoon City. But why the hell there're Amnesia: The Dark Descent's monsters instead of zombies?

Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Banjo_Kongfooie

Yeah, I don't think so. The capabilites of the Pica are minimal in comparison to PowerVR's chips. I know these games are in 3D which is a huge performance hit but those muddy textures, low poly counts aren't being negated by lighting and shadows that are being surpassed by the A5 and other high end mobile chips.

TekkenMaster606
It looks like it could be a gen 1 Vita title. Again I agree the 3DS lacks in the ability to produce polygons but it has some cool lighting effects that give the illusion of looking great (which is what matters at the end of the day). I mean anyone who inspects can see the models in RE Revelations are blocky in comparison to that uncharted game but that does not take away from it looking great. Not everything has to be state of the art to have great graphics (Logan's shadow had some of the best water effects when it was out imo)
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Looks way better than Resident Evil 4, 5 and Operation Racoon City. But why the hell there're Amnesia: The Dark Descent's monsters instead of zombies?

RyuRanVII

That's been bugging me since day one. I just want zombies.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Nega3

Jill > Rachel. :cool:

Also RE5 was a great game. Terrible horro game, great action game. /haters gonna hate.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
Wow!!! Pre ordering this tomorrow!
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
one of the scariest games ever committed to handheldlaus_basic
So the only one then.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cherokee_Jack

How the mighty have fallen...First link the guy said RE5 was actually a good game. ....right. Sales=/=Quality.Jynxzor

Iunnno, RE 5 seems fine to me. Not a good horror game, but then RE4 wasn't scary. I doubt any other RE game is scary these days either.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
Someone just had to ruin the thread by complaining about graphics...
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Banjo_Kongfooie

[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]How the mighty have fallen...First link the guy said RE5 was actually a good game. ....right. Sales=/=Quality.Cherokee_Jack

Iunnno, RE 5 seems fine to me. Not a good horror game, but then RE4 wasn't scary. I doubt any other RE game is scary these days either.

Pwaaaah the only thing scary about the older RE games are their controls!

BAAAM, (seriously though RE has always been more survival action imo).

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

[QUOTE="laus_basic"]one of the scariest games ever committed to handheldCherokee_Jack
So the only one then.

It's a start.

I've been an advocate for this game, and 91% is surely going to attract people.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jynxzor

RyuRanVII
Capcom has developed a allergic reaction to zombies, I mean when was the last time Capcom developed a game with zombies? Dead Rising: Nope Blue castle games developed it. Operation Racoon City: Wrong again it's still outsourced by another dev. RE: Code Veronica was the last time we seen zombies from Capcom. They seem to make every attempt possible to avoid putting actual zombies in any of their inhouse games.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

To anyone thinking about pre-ordering this, pre-order it from Amazon, they have it for $39.99 instead of $49.99. :)

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

[QUOTE="RyuRanVII"]

Jynxzor

Capcom has developed a allergic reaction to zombies, I mean when was the last time Capcom developed a game with zombies? Dead Rising: Nope Blue castle games developed it. Operation Racoon City: Wrong again it's still outsourced by another dev. RE: Code Veronica was the last time we seen zombies from Capcom. They seem to make every attempt possible to avoid putting actual zombies in any of their inhouse games.

Technically, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 did!

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jynxzor
(seriously though RE has always been more survival action imo).Banjo_Kongfooie
Seriously though, what part of any recent RE game has even struck a single cord of "Survival"? All Capcom is worried about is there pre-teen sales enhancers. Skin-tight clothing for the women: Check Steroids for all the men: Check FPS elements: Check
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="laus_basic"]one of the scariest games ever committed to handheldCherokee_Jack
So the only one then.

Dementium was pretty damn good. So was its sequel. Really hope Renegade Kid works on one for the 3DS.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="laus_basic"]one of the scariest games ever committed to handheldChubbyGuy40

So the only one then.

Dementium was pretty damn good. So was its sequel. Really hope Renegade Kid works on one for the 3DS.

I played a bit of the first game. Seemed really goofy.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] So the only one then.Cherokee_Jack

I played a bit of the first game. Seemed really goofy.

It only gets better. Not to mention it was the only 3D and 60FPS game for the DS, and for the DS it looked pretty good. I really want to see what they could pull off with that or another Moon game.

emirblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 emirblade
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts

The game looks so good. Also, the graphics are nice, they are not the best of the world but there's atmosphere.

edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts
[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="Nega3"]

Jill > Rachel. :cool:

Also RE5 was a great game. Terrible horro game, great action game. /haters gonna hate.

Well capcom's trolling, why do you think there are haters? It is supposed to be a horror franchise, not a co-op action game.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Wish they had this for consoles. I'm actually a fan of RE5, but I'd love to have some scariness involved. I did love the tunnel/cave in RE5 where your partner had the lamp and it was pitch black in there.
laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 laus_basic
more from IGN: "Resident Evil Revelations: No More Zombies At least not so far. A closer look at the creatures in Capcom's next survival horror game." http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1214341p1.html - most common enemy is the Ooze - Ooze are a collection of pale, gelatinous monsters - they have the ability to flow like liquid - this allows them to emerge from grates, pipes and even laundry machines - the cruise ship is called the Queen Zenobia - the Ooze seem to be on the ship only - new Ooze types will actually shoot projectiles at you - some are far more physically powerful - game has a balance of dishing out enough ammo to the player, as well as making sure you manage your supplies - one point in the game you lose your ammo and guns, but still have to deal with Ooze - you'll come across a fast-moving, twisted fish that simply attempts to bite your head off - there's also a demonic water cockroach - these enemies are tough to kill with traditional weapons - Hunters make an appearance as well
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#37 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

wait, there's a Review?

when does this game come out again?

laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 laus_basic

wait, there's a Review?

when does this game come out again?

LegatoSkyheart
Japan: January 26 Europe: January 27 NA: February 7
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

The game somewhat reminds me of Cold Fear--which isn't bad by all means, since the game had a decent atmosphere. Looks good.

12qazx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 12qazx
Member since 2005 • 1435 Posts

I think ill get it. The $50 dollars won't be a problem since im not planning on getting any games until this one releases in February.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
HD remake would help the sales
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
HD remake would help the saleshippiesanta
How can you make this judgement yet? I understand that it may not sell 5 million copies, but its a lower budget game ($2 million is usually the most expensive 3DS game) and its not out yet. Mercs 3D made them over $11 million off a small budget that was probably even smaller than Revelations. It's being built for the Nintendo 3DS, heck Nintendo is letting them use 4GB Game Cards instead of 2GB Cards. And its going to be bundled with the Circle Pad Pro. While I wouldn't rule out a port to some other platform, the support of not only this but the Monster Hunter series indicate Capcom is committed to the 3DS. Early sales of Super Street Fighter IV, RE: Mercs 3D were good and that's probably why.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#43 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

My problem with what I've seen of this game is that the gameplay looks absolutely awful. The atmosphere is amazing, but if the gameplay is clunky then that isn't going to matter. That was what was wrong with the originals. The original RE games sucked major balls. They had atmoshpere, but that was about it. Despite any critical acclaim this may get, I'm approaching it with caution. Hopefully the gameplay isn't as clunky as it looks.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts

My problem with what I've seen of this game is that the gameplay looks absolutely awful. The atmosphere is amazing, but if the gameplay is clunky then that isn't going to matter. That was what was wrong with the originals. The original RE games sucked major balls. They had atmoshpere, but that was about it. Despite any critical acclaim this may get, I'm approaching it with caution. Hopefully the gameplay isn't as clunky as it looks.

burgeg
If you wanna judge the GAME-PLAY, you have to PLAY the GAME.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

LastRambo341

If you wanna judge the GAME-PLAY, you have to PLAY the GAME.

Umm....no? You can clearly see what I game plays like by seeing gameplay of it. Here's what I hate about posts like these. If I had said the gameplay was amazing, you wouldn't have said a damn thing. Don't try and deny it. Stop being so overprotective of a game you happen to like. Oh wait, you've never played it so you have no right to have an opinion on it by your logic. It's just a game and these are my thoughts on what the gameplay looks like. Get over it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#46 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41576 Posts

Hang on, RE4 and RE5 get good reviews and most fans of the old RE games on the PlayStation, PlayStation 2, N64 and Gamecube hate those games. Why do I feel like we're going to get the same phase here? :?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Still too focused on the shooter/action market and that monster looks kinda too cute to invoke any fear tbh.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

Are you killing me, shaders and lighting effects are top notch. Only downside are polygon count which still is pretty good.

This could pass for a vita game.

This could pass for a vita game....??Not even close...........for a GC or Wii game maybe...lol

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ChubbyGuy40

This could pass for a vita game....??Not even close...........for a GC or Wii game maybe...lol

AtariKidX

Besides that it looks just as good as any Vita game...yeah lets just ignore that part.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

ChubbyGuy40

Besides that it looks just as good as any Vita game...yeah lets just ignore that part.

Yeah........sure.:?

cxczz