Resident evil 7 worth a buy review

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Just watched it. While i dont think resi 7 is that bad as this video make it out but he made some good points about how game is incredibly scripted. I have played 5 or 6 hours so far. and not a single once i scared.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Whats the point of this thread??

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

I played Outlast, and the game only scared me twice with it's jumpscares...

Still I liked playing the game for its setting.

If RE7 has an interesting story and setting, I don't care that it scares or doesn't scare me a lot.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

Amnesia wasn't groundbreaking, the Penumbra series plays the same.

It became popular thanks to youtube reaction videos.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

*Spends the first 2 minutes ranting about other reviewers.

"I can't remember a proper horror game before Resident Evil"

Yep, still no reason to take this clown seriously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

Well there's 13 minutes of my life I can't get back. Thanks to the OP for that. "There was nothing but s#^t between Silent Hill and Amnesia in the horror genre." I should have turned off this clueless mick right after he said that.

This game was great. It wasn't 4 despite how bad so many want to say it is, but great nonetheless.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I'm still not done with the game, going to try to finish it this weekend. I wouldn't say it's not scary, but they went Game of Thrones style with the gore basically, with dismemberment and stuff like that. I had some scary moments, however I will say that Outlast probably scared me more overall (so far anyways). Alien Isolation was probably scarier as well. Enjoying the game, so that's the important thing. My main gripes are no looking behind you mechanic as you run, and also the enemy variety seems limited, but that could change since I am not done with the game yet.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Very scary in VR.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

That idiot is a stupid PC fanboy that more often than not knows nothing wtf he's talking about.

So why is this thread worthy again? He's just a less funny yatzee without 1/10 of the character... only other stupid PC fanboys give him views...

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#10 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

@uninspiredcup: You're kidding me right? Amnesia was far ahead of Penumbra in regards to storytelling, atmosphere and accompanying puzzles within the game.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Not going to buy this game until it is heavily discounted. I cannot justify spending a lot of money on 10 hours of play time. Not like I will replay the game. Bargain title for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Sam3231 said:

@uninspiredcup: You're kidding me right? Amnesia was far ahead of Penumbra in regards to storytelling, atmosphere and accompanying puzzles within the game.

Gameplay in both cases is serviceable at best. mechanically they are practically identical.

There is nothing ground breaking about Amnesia, it existed before hand. Like Dayz, Minecraft and a greet deal of titles, the real revolution is from youtube.

Before, in the dark times, it was simply major magazines and websites kissing publishers rear end. Pc gaming itself, deemed not viable for £££, was blanked out unless Blizzard. Then something interesting happened, the silent majority started making a sound. The strangle hold of directed marketing loosened.

An average Joe with mic could amass millions of people to a game with previously 0 marketing, a few dribbles forming into cults and cults forming into mass devotion. That's what happened with these games, and many others.

It's why Gamespot now desperately latches on to anything pop culture related now. Geek culture is cool. Hijack it, manipulate it, turn it into a happy meal. We're just like you.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Anyone who says it has no replayability has not replayed it

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Even though I have some serious issues with RE7, it's still a solid game and worth a buy.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

Man people get seriously defensive when someone has a negative opinion on a game they like.

I cant attack or defend any Resident Evil game, not my genre by any means, but Worth a buy reviews are usually pretty solid.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

I haven't beat it yet, but from what I played RE7 is horrifying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I rented it last weekend and I didn't like it. The gameplay was boring to me and it didn't feel like a Resident Evil game to me. It felt more like one of those indie horror walking sim games from the past few years that Youtubers like to make reaction videos of themselves playing. I'm not a fan of those kind of games so I was pretty disappointed.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts
@drrollinstein said:

Worth a buy reviews are usually pretty solid.

...at being a wad of self-indulgent shlock.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#19 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts
Loading Video...

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By aigis

wait, I just started watching the video and he didnt even beat the game? What kind of reviewer is he lol

This review is awful XD

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 uninspiredcup

@aigis said:

wait, I just started watching the video and he didnt even beat the game? What kind of reviewer is he lol

This review is awful XD

I believe he said his reviews were comparable to "talking to someone in a pub".

Which I guess is part of the appeal, and part of the problem. He isn't pretentious wanker like Total Biscuit, but Total Biscuit at least does his research.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Well, it was made for PSVR so no wonder it looks like a PS2 title and I agree it's another one of those cheap indie survival games that flood Steam but unlike all these it's marketed as an AAA title and sell for $60.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@djoffer said:

Whats the point of this thread??

Dude's looking for people to agree with him lol. Ive seen him or someone else repeatedly post that one review

Its like, "hey please! anyone agree with me!!!"

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@zeeshanhaider said:

Well, it was made for PSVR so no wonder it looks like a PS2 title and I agree it's another one of those cheap indie survival games that flood Steam but unlike all these it's marketed as an AAA title and sell for $60.

unlike these cheap boring walking sim like amnesia/soma/outlast. this game has combat too. even thought very very bad combat system. like worst combat i have seen in AAA first person game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I find this guy pretty intolerable

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

You made a thread about another butthurt Microsoft fanboy who's salty they can't play the game in VR? Lol good job.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 aigis

@uninspiredcup said:
@aigis said:

This review is awful XD

I believe he said his reviews were comparable to "talking to someone in a pub".

Which I guess is part of the appeal, and part of the problem. He isn't pretentious wanker like Total Biscuit, but Total Biscuit at least does his research.

I can get behind that, but if you are going to review something, see it all the way through. There is no reason he couldnt (its not broken, its not difficult), he just "got bored". Then he says the graphics are bad and shows one example (which I concede to the point) on the outside when you are usually indoors. Then goes on to talk about how amnesia and outlast are the holy grails of horror games. I've beaten both of those games and to say they are redefining horror is just wrong and I like both of them. I havent seen any of his other reviews, but geez he put no effort into this at all to make a compelling argument

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I haven't played it. His words sound like they have a ring of truth, and the level of scriptedness sounds real and awful. But... then he proceeds to "LOL" all over things that... are ridiculously common to so many games out there. At some point it seemed like he was looking to just heap shit on to call it shit and less honestly and objectively highlight what makes THIS game MORE shit than any other shit. My main takeaway concern - and it's a big one - is the overly scripted nature. The crafting and stuff? Whatever - like healing and crafting has been remotely realistic in almost any game ever

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghosts4ever

@with_teeth26 said:

he is only reviewer who has guts to say things professional reviewers cant because they lose thier jobs.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It's a good game, dude. I still consider the REmake the best one- but this guy goes way too harsh on this game.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

Anyone toting "scripted events" as a negative or out of place in a Resident Evil game instantly loses all credibility in my eyes.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 aigis

@ghosts4ever said:
@with_teeth26 said:

he is only reviewer who has guts to say things professional reviewers cant because they lose thier jobs.

Joe?

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Well, some random asshole on YouTube said it, so it must be true!

David719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By David719
Member since 2007 • 2187 Posts

There are so many better reviewers on Youtube. I don't know why you feel the need to constantly shill this clown.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Good atmosphere has little to do with whether you're actually scared or not. Although not sure why anyone would seriously be scared for anything that they know is not real.

@uninspiredcup said:

Amnesia wasn't groundbreaking, the Penumbra series plays the same.

It became popular thanks to youtube reaction videos.

Which are often overly exaggerated reactions anyway for the sake of entertainment.

worknow222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 worknow222
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

Every review that smeg head does he just hates the game, Not once have I viewed a review were he liked a game, terrible views on gaming he has

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever

@zombieproof said:

Anyone toting "scripted events" as a negative or out of place in a Resident Evil game instantly loses all credibility in my eyes.

bieng scripted means second time you play. you know what is going to happen. there is no Scare in this game. nothing scare me here. the closest part was bakers family dinner. It try to be scary but failed at bieng

I was watching some videos on youtube where girls playing this game and screaming like a child. i cant stop laughing. I was playing it at mid night, lights turn off. and still DO NOT SCARE ME!!!

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By aigis

@ghosts4ever said:

bieng scripted means second time you play. you know what is going to happen.

you could say the same thing about most horror games including outlast and amnesia

@ghosts4ever said:

I was watching some videos on youtube where girls playing this game and screaming like a child. i cant stop laughing. I was playing it at mid night, lights turn off. and still DO NOT SCARE ME!!!

Its youtube, thats kinda what they do...

also people have different tolerances for this kind of stuff

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ZombieProof

@ghosts4ever said:
@zombieproof said:

bieng scripted means second time you play. you know what is going to happen. there is no Scare in this game. nothing scare me here. the closest part was bakers family dinner. It try to be scary but failed at bieng

"bieng scripted means second time you play. you know what is going to happen"

....like I said, that's the case in every Resident Evil...ever.

Also, the act of being scared by a video game is based heavily on the imagination, mental agility, and willingness to succumb to the atmosphere at hand while leaving as many preconceived notions about what your engaging out of the experience. You're not good at any of those. Everyone on this site can attest to that. The problem with not being scared lies with you, not Resident Evil 7.

Out of curiousity, what games actually do scare you, aside from System Shock 2 *eyeroll* ?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ghosts4ever

@zombieproof said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@zombieproof said:

Also, the act of being scared by a video game is based heavily on the imagination, mental agility, and willingness to succumb to the atmosphere at hand while leaving as many preconceived notions about what your engaging out of the experience. You're not good at any of those. Everyone on this site can attest to that. The problem with not being scared lies with you, not Resident Evil 7.

Out of curiousity, what games actually do scare you, aside from System Shock 2 *eyeroll* ?

my friend, system shock 2 didnot scare me. but it does immersed me. maybe FEAR? maybe Stalker? but again what i called i was immersed in Stalker universe.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ZombieProof

@ghosts4ever said:
@zombieproof said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@zombieproof said:

my friend, system shock 2 didnot scare me. but it does immersed me. maybe FEAR? maybe Stalker? but again what i called i was immersed in Stalker universe.

...I rest my case.

*slams gavel*

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ghosts4ever

@zombieproof said:

...I rest my case.

*slams gavel*

no. its not the case

I found Stalker, FEAR and System shock 2 more scary than resident evil 7. even dead space is more scary and i dont like dead space at all.

the gameplay in resi 7 is horrible too. its like they dont ever improve gameplay but kudos to them they improve shitty controlling of previous games.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Still no inrested in RE after RE4. Maybe will get in when it hits bargain bin to kill time when I don't have any games to play.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ZombieProof

@ghosts4ever said:
@zombieproof said:

...I rest my case.

*slams gavel*

no. its not the case

I found Stalker, FEAR and System shock 2 more scary than resident evil 7. even dead space is more scary and i dont like dead space at all.

the gameplay in resi 7 is horrible too. its like they dont ever improve gameplay but kudos to them they improve shitty controlling of previous games.

I keep trying to tell you but it never sinks in. Blowing half assed, brain dead opinions out of your ass and onto the screen aren't a discussion. How did you find fear, system shock, and dead space more scary? How is the gameplay in resident evil 7 horrible? If you meant the shooting and movement, like I mentioned on another thread that those elements CAN'T be as good as that found in DOOM and FEAR because it would erase the tension caused by being only semi capable and the fear factor would be lessened. You and many others have to stop compartmentalizing gameplay elements and separating them from what they mean to the greater whole of the product.

Now, I'm sure these questions require a certain level of critical thought so I'm not expecting a response but I'll hold out hope anyway.

The floor is yours...

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

unlike these cheap boring walking sim like amnesia/soma/outlast. this game has combat too. even thought very very bad combat system. like worst combat i have seen in AAA first person game.

No one cares what you think, sniper.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ghosts4ever

@zombieproof said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@zombieproof said:

...I rest my case.

*slams gavel*

no. its not the case

I keep trying to tell you but it never sinks in. Blowing half assed, brain dead opinions out of your ass and onto the screen aren't a discussion. How did you find fear, system shock, and dead space more scary? How is the gameplay in resident evil 7 horrible? If you meant the shooting and movement, like I mentioned on another thread that those elements CAN'T be as good as that found in DOOM and FEAR because it would erase the tension caused by being only semi capable and the fear factor would be lessened. You and many others have to stop compartmentalizing gameplay elements and separating them from what they mean to the greater whole of the product.

Now, I'm sure these questions require a certain level of critical thought so I'm not expecting a response but I'll hold out hope anyway.

The floor is yours...

so to make game a good horror. you need to make combat terrible. WOW

theres more tension in FEAR than in resi 7. come on my friend. FEAR was perfect example of how to do horror game with good combat.

even main villain evelliene is rip off to FEAR Alma.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:

so to make game a good horror. you need to make combat terrible. WOW

There is some truth to that.

Zombie make a weapon useless unless you pop it in the head. Werewolf, silver bullet, Dracula, stake to the heart e.t.c.. The idea being almost anything you throw at them, will have little or no effect.

Carries over to influential movies like The Thing, fire in the South Pole. A finite resource in the worst possible place to use it.

System Shock 2 has deliberately slow, sluggish combat is tight corridors with weapons that will break. Enemy guns in stalker and creatures alike can drop a player in 1-hit while they are forced to rattle off multiple shots with weapons locking up and accuracy tagging a target arbitrarily.

Arguably part of the reason Dead Space 1/2 are so ineffective as horror games, aside from oversautration of jump scares is that the player is tripping over resources. The ooga-boogas diminish almost immediately.

Likewise Resident Evil 4 has a similar problem, once you've realized don't need to shoot (which will take about 20-40 minutes) tension flies right out the window.

Kick + Stagger + Slash

Kick + Ladder + Repeat loop

Kick+ Door + Repeat

Will get you through practically all the game.

So yea, would argue deliberately handing the player shit isn't necessarily always a bad thing.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Please get banned already.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
Loading Video...

Just watched it. While i dont think resi 7 is that bad as this video make it out but he made some good points about how game is incredibly scripted. I have played 5 or 6 hours so far. and not a single once i scared.

the game isn't supposed to jump scare you as much as the eerie story of realism grows on you

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ghosts4ever

TBH, I dont hate resi 7. its much better than walking sim like amnesia and later games in series like 5 and 6. but just like other games this game has flaws too.