Resident Evil 7: Biohazard hype thread cause hey, it's a January AAA! GS Review gives it a 8/10!

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 AcidTango  Online
Member since 2013 • 3223 Posts

Honestly it doesn't look like a Resident Evil game at all. I mean I was never into the series in the first place and the only RE game that I ever liked was Resident Evil 4 but even I feel that RE 7 looks like it should be its own game and not part of the RE series.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#152  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Multiplats for the win.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#153 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@jumpaction: Thanks!

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@AcidTango said:

Honestly it doesn't look like a Resident Evil game at all. I mean I was never into the series in the first place and the only RE game that I ever liked was Resident Evil 4 but even I feel that RE 7 looks like it should be its own game and not part of the RE series.

So, then...shut up about what is an RE game or not if you only ever played one game.

Talk about bandwagon lol

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 AcidTango  Online

@Douevenlift_bro said:
@AcidTango said:

So, then...shut up about what is an RE game or not if you only ever played one game.

Talk about bandwagon lol

Relax idiot. No need to act all whiny about it. I did play the other games. I just find RE 4 to be my favorite. All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem like a Resident Evil game. I'm not saying that it's terrible I mean I could like it myself but it looks like it's from a different series.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#156 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Here's a stream with VR.

https://www.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#157 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

I'm getting some Outlast vibes watching the video reviews. I might have to pick this up.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Graphics are mighty impressive for a Capcom game... Also, it's pretty chilling! They did an amazing job with the atmosphere.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

Just spent a little over an hour with this thing and I fucking LOVE it. It plays pretty smooth, the visual design and storytelling is some of the best I've ever seen, and the atmosphere is out of this world. It also has some pretty amazing sound design.

It's almost a relief posting on these boards with how oppressive the atmosphere in this joint is. I love it.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By ZombieProof

@AcidTango said:

I disagree. It is VERY Resident Evil visually. It actually looks like a cross between ReMake and IV in terms of color palette, storytelling vernacular, and overall design. I could very easily imagine playing a Resident Evil IV modded into this game's engine.

This game surpasses those in terms of the quality of the character animations, acting, and how they're written. All that shit is on a whole other level in this joint :D

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 ZombieProof

@DragonfireXZ95: HA! I took some screenshots of that exact same area (and more). It really is beautiful.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By ZombieProof

@taternator said:

@zombieproof: RE 1 and to a lesser extent, 2. The enemies were very much a challenge to defeat, the games had better design, more enemy variations. This game is more like a showpiece for PSVR and the set pieces. Nothing more.

I think you did yourself a grave disservice by watching someone else play as opposed to experiencing it yourself. It's impossible to identify with the visceral nuance this game puts out and let that paint and add to the experience of the gameplay like that. I'd be creeping along some fucked up looking hallway because something fucked up just happened and start slowly pushing a door open (I'm controlling the speed because im scared shitless), and all of a sudden I hear a floorboard behind me and I freeze up, door halfway ajar. That's not a major event by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly paint's my journey in a particular palette of horror the more I engage the game.

There's no way in Zeus' butthole you can get that from watching some youtuber dictate his experience to you, commentary or no. No wonder your take on the game is so reductive. You're completely detached from every tool it uses to draw you in and paint it's experience.

It might help in the future if you attempt to focus on what a game play experience provides as opposed to hyper focusing on what it doesn't.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#163 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@dakur: Yeah, you'd think my other joints would bend like that as well, but they don't.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

So, how is it biohazard when Story revolves around more cannibals/supernatural forces? Or did I get it completely wrong from the review?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@AcidTango said:

Honestly, I wouldn't give a flying **** if it doesn't look or feel like RE, seems like a great game anyway. Besides, you get that same anxiety when opening doors or roaming suspicious looking hallways. IMO this game is more RE than 4-6 are, RE4 is my favourite btw.

Avatar image for thereturnoftheg
theReturnoftheG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#166  Edited By theReturnoftheG
Member since 2013 • 89 Posts

@zombieproof said:
@thereturnoftheg said:

So what connection does this have to the established Resident Evil lore? I always thought that giving the spotlight in the main series to a story that has no connections to the previous games was really weird (Especially given the gigantic scale of previous games), so is there anything here that can convincingly connect it with the RE continuity? Capcom specifically said that the old RE games still count and none of them have been erased from this game's universe, so what gives?

That never entered my mind for a second. I'd never expect narrative consistency from a series so devoid of literary merit hahahha. If the lack of obvious connection to the series' "lore" is your barrier to entry, you probably weren't that interested in what you saw in the first place.

Naw, I'm already waiting on the game to arrive at my place. More curiosity than anything. RE's stories have never been good, more expecting what kind of explanation could they pull off that can convincingly justify putting this story under the same limelight as the originals.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#168 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

never understand the hate for first person view. its make up for how terrible controls were in previous games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I lost faith in Resident Evil after Code Veronica, and sadly i'm more interested in the film then the game, and i haven't sat down and watched a movie from start to finish in a long while.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

I've played it for a number of hours now and love it. The gameplay is super slick, the sound design incredible, and the atmosphere is some of the best in recent memory.

My only gripe thus far, is that it feels easily at times, but I suspect this will change...

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 AcidTango  Online

@zombieproof said:

I disagree. It is VERY Resident Evil visually. It actually looks like a cross between ReMake and IV in terms of color palette, storytelling vernacular, and overall design. I could very easily imagine playing a Resident Evil IV modded into this game's engine.

This game surpasses those in terms of the quality of the character animations, acting, and how they're written. All that shit is on a whole other level in this joint :D

Maybe you're right here. I guess the first person view does make the game look very different to me but I would have to play it to give it a chance. Ether way the game looks interesting even if it was it's own game.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 AcidTango  Online

@Epak_ said:

Honestly, I wouldn't give a flying **** if it doesn't look or feel like RE, seems like a great game anyway. Besides, you get that same anxiety when opening doors or roaming suspicious looking hallways. IMO this game is more RE than 4-6 are, RE4 is my favourite btw.

I not bashing RE 7 or anything. It's looks interesting and might try it out when I have time. I think that some people are confusing my comments by thinking that I'm bashing this game when I have nothing against it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#173 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Seems a bit oversold by the reviews. I've been playing it the last couple hours. Overall I'm still enjoying it, but at its best it's simply on par with something like Outlast, which is being generous. Entertaining though, got it for $27.74 after using a mix of my latest XBL & Bing Rewards.

videogameninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 videogameninja
Member since 2016 • 5371 Posts
@zombieproof said:
@AcidTango said:

Good to hear its gone back to what made RE popular in the beginning while adding something new and different to the equation. The atmosphere and vibe I got from the demo/s would indicate that Capcom was headed in the right direction.

-VIDEOGAME NINJA APPROVED-

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

never understand the hate for first person view. its make up for how terrible controls were in previous games.

This. I like FPV - makes playing a game so much easier.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Pre-loaded last night! Look forward to giving it a run... Also bought tix for friday's premier.

And it looks like RE4 Castle section is being released soon for the RE4HD project.... Its a great week for fans of the series.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56105 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

I lost faith in Resident Evil after Code Veronica, and sadly i'm more interested in the film then the game, and i haven't sat down and watched a movie from start to finish in a long while.

And I bet you're fun at parties.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56105 Posts

Even though I'm only a few hours in, it seems like RE7 just raised the bar for horror games especially in the categories of creating tension and sound design, two crucial elements of a horror game. its an amazing game to me, it feels like I'm playing the old RE games all over again but in first-person-view.

@makemefamous07 said:

The Evil Within is FAR better. The atomsphere, tension etc etc all fit perfectly in this horror game. The creepy enviroments R far better here. The creepy bad guys u face were scary. They even put explosives if you set it off or bear traps which btw are hard to see & that kept you from running & being careful. The boss fights in Evil Within are FAR better like the creepy demon girl which was hard as hell to fight & epic battle among the others. When you play as the girl in the DLC that boss fight at the end was far better & amazing way to kill the boss. Then seeing & fighting your dead self running around in that creepy fight was great. Better story in here to then RE7.

Two different kinds of horror mate. The Evil Within is psychological and Resident Evil 7 is more in the realm of physical horror. The Evil Within was the perfect blending of RE4 with Silent Hill in it but I gotta say, Spiderchick in Evil Within made me scream like a little Bitch.

Taternator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Taternator
Member since 2017 • 47 Posts

Game was beaten in 2 and a half hours already. Should cost $20 at best.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By ZombieProof

@makemefamous07 said:

The game seems way to linear. U just get put in a room & look for items that you need & will be there for you w/o exploring since the puzzles are way to dumb & easy & close to u. Gameplay of shooting is just staged especially the first 2 boss fights 3 hours in. All scripted & basically follow a line on killing the bad guy with the weapon that u have to use & basically baby you to give u the items. Enemies are not creative & look bland. 1 boss fight resembles ADA boss fight in RE6 ending.

Story is by far the worst. Totally stupid. Ripped off from stupid movies from Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw etc etc. Theyre poorly developed & felt like redneck hicks from The Walking Dead Telltale game. Its nothing new if you seen these movies or Walking Dead. Ending was also crap. Pretty sure this shitty new guy will NOT be in the next RE game. RE7 just feels like a spin off & could of been a different game w/o the RE game.

The Evil Within is FAR better. The atomsphere, tension etc etc all fit perfectly in this horror game. The creepy enviroments R far better here. The creepy bad guys u face were scary. They even put explosives if you set it off or bear traps which btw are hard to see & that kept you from running & being careful. The boss fights in Evil Within are FAR better like the creepy demon girl which was hard as hell to fight & epic battle among the others. When you play as the girl in the DLC that boss fight at the end was far better & amazing way to kill the boss. Then seeing & fighting your dead self running around in that creepy fight was great. Better story in here to then RE7.

RE7 is just MEH! First person view mode is just stupid & felt more like Condemned or P.T but only a shitty company like Capcom Japan made it which we know are not talented as they use to be 10 years ago. This boss fight here is pure creepy & amazing. Ending of this battle is awesome.

After using my hyperbole translator on your post what I got was "I like Evil Within better because I like Resident Evil 4 and I wanted more of the same from Resident Evil 7"...

...and that's fine, but knocking the story and linearity of Resident Evil 7 while praising The Evil Within hurt your argument big time. I'm a huge fan of Mikami but I totally lost interest in The Evil Within after the endless monster room on that first daylight stage. The story and characters stopped at "Japanese cliche" and never went any further than that.

On the atmosphere/horror front, it seems like you prefer Saw over The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and that's cool as well. The problem with Evil Within for me is that in order for me to get scared, there has to be some sense of real life resonance in either the sound design, visual design, or situation that I'm put in. That way the stuff I'm experiencing tickles my memories of their real life counterparts and the added gravity generates fear born from a marriage of the familiar and alien. The Evil Within's non-sequitter story, setting, and visual design did nothing of the sort so I was never scared. There's no rhyme, reason, unity, or grace to it's design and instead feels like a bunch of horror tropes tossed into one end of a wood chipper and whatever spat out of the other end was just spewed onto the game. To me, rusty wheelchairs and blood soaked floors with no rhyme or reason are nothing compared to navigating a RE7's creepy yet familiar surroundings, especially without an explosive crossbow on hand.

It doesn't help that Evil Within's non responsive, herky jerky controls generated more scares in me than the 67th rusty wheelchair ever could. Conversely, RE7's controls are as smooth and intuitive as butter.

I couldn't disagree with your opinion more.

Taternator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Taternator
Member since 2017 • 47 Posts

@zombieproof said:
@taternator said:

@zombieproof: RE 1 and to a lesser extent, 2. The enemies were very much a challenge to defeat, the games had better design, more enemy variations. This game is more like a showpiece for PSVR and the set pieces. Nothing more.

I think you did yourself a grave disservice by watching someone else play as opposed to experiencing it yourself. It's impossible to identify with the visceral nuance this game puts out and let that paint and add to the experience of the gameplay like that. I'd be creeping along some fucked up looking hallway because something fucked up just happened and start slowly pushing a door open (I'm controlling the speed because im scared shitless), and all of a sudden I hear a floorboard behind me and I freeze up, door halfway ajar. That's not a major event by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly paint's my journey in a particular palette of horror the more I engage the game.

There's no way in Zeus' butthole you can get that from watching some youtuber dictate his experience to you, commentary or no. No wonder your take on the game is so reductive. You're completely detached from every tool it uses to draw you in and paint it's experience.

It might help in the future if you attempt to focus on what a game play experience provides as opposed to hyper focusing on what it doesn't.

Saving myself $60 in the process of avoiding a throw away experience is doing myself a great service. You can stick your nuances and special feeling in Zeus's butt hole like Ben Wa balls, because even the worst games will have some sap saying it gave him good times.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

I've been hyped for this for a while now so I decided to start the download. When I get back from work I'll get a few hours in. Liking the reviews so far, sounds like it's going to be a good game.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 ZombieProof

@taternator said:
@zombieproof said:
@taternator said:

Saving myself $60 in the process of avoiding a throw away experience is doing myself a great service. You can stick your nuances and special feeling in Zeus's butt hole like Ben Wa balls, because even the worst games will have some sap saying it gave him good times.

Hahahaha. It's pretty obvious that you came to this game with your phasers set on hate anyway. Your contributions to this thread are little more than spam at this point. I'll continue to enjoy it for the both of us.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#184 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I've played a few hours of this today and it's excellent, right up my street. Deeply atmospheric and perfectly paced so far, much better than I dared hope.

Taternator look at his post count I wonder whose alt it is? The poor little sap is absolutely desperate for everyone to hate RE7 lol. He must be gutted at all the good reviews and how much people like it, this clown is seriously unhinged.

Right time for some food then I'm back to enjoying the best horror game by far for many years. Anyone still on the fence I recommend you jump right in this game is fantastic.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Can't wait! Looks like classic RE in first person. I was worried at first that this was copying indie games with weak jump scares, but it looks like capcom is slowly returning to form.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@taternator said:

Game was beaten in 2 and a half hours already. Should cost $20 at best.

Dark Souls 3 was also beaten in 1 hour and a half just a couple days in. Should that also only be worth 20 dollars?

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#187 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

how do the movies keep getting sequels theyre garbage all of them

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 enzyme36

Broke gamers everywhere... it's not the hobby to be in if you don't want to shell out some coin once in a while.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 com2006
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts

Loving this, creepy game with full surround sound headset on... the atmosphere, graphics and sound are incredible.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By enzyme36

Finally out of work!! Heading home to unpack!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#191 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

8/10 GS with an 86/100 on Metacritic.

How did you guess the exact MC score?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#192 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

I don't understand the backlash against the first-person view...

Resident Evil (1996 video game)

The game was initially conceived as a fully 3D first-person update of Sweet Home (influenced by the game's first-person battles), with action and shooting mechanics. A first-person prototype was produced, and initially featured a supernatural, psychological Japanese horror style similar to Sweet Home, before opting for an American zombie horror style influenced by George Romero films. Co-op gameplay was also planned, but was removed, as Mikami said it "technically...wasn't good enough." During production, Mikami discovered Alone in the Dark (1992), which influenced him to adopt a cinematic fixed-view camera system. Mikami said that, if it wasn't for Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil would have had a first-person view instead.Mikami was initially reluctant to adopt Alone in the Dark's fixed-view camera system, saying it "had an effect on immersion, making the player feel a bit more detached", but eventually adopted it because the use of pre-rendered backdrops allowed a higher level of detail than his fully 3D first-person view prototype, which "didn't get along so well with the original PlayStation's specs."

According to Shinji Mikami, the only reason the classic RE games had things like fixed camera angles, pre-rendered backdrops and tank controls was because of how primitive the PS1 hardware was for full 3D graphics, or else it would've been a first-person 3D game instead. Fixed camera angles and tank controls were technical limitations, relics of the PS1 era, which is where they belong.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@AcidTango said:
@Douevenlift_bro said:
@AcidTango said:

Talk about bandwagon lol

Relax idiot. No need to act all whiny about it. I did play the other games. I just find RE 4 to be my favorite. All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem like a Resident Evil game. I'm not saying that it's terrible I mean I could like it myself but it looks like it's from a different series.

Again, Shut up.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By AcidTango  Online

@Douevenlift_bro said:

Again, Shut up.

Aww did I upset you? Sorry if your feelings were hurt and once again relax you idiot.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Alucard_Prime

Enjoying this bad boy very much so far. It feels like a compelling story I want to see through.

Pros:

-Strong narrative, good pacing

-Nice atmosphere, creepy

-Focus seems to be on horror

Cons:

-graphics a little outdated(XOne)

-does not feel like Resident Evil so far for me

Anyways, I only played around 2 hours.....maybe I'm still in Demo territory, I dont know. But I want to keep playing, I like it

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@dynamitecop said:

8/10 GS with an 86/100 on Metacritic.

How did you guess the exact MC score?

It just felt right so I went with my gut.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@Alucard_Prime: Bruh, this games world is laid out 100% like classic Resident Evil.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 SexyJazzCat

6 hours in. 9/10 best Resident Evil game by far. Definitely has it's issues much like all the other RE titles but god damn did Capcom go back to their roots with this game.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 Alucard_Prime

@SexyJazzCat: Could be, yeah when I think of a few areas and the layouts....but I mean the point of view is different. Its pretty cool though, works well so far, makes for a more personal in your face experience......must be cool with VR.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 SexyJazzCat

@taternator: As a person who's actually played the game, and you've been craving classic RE, I can tell you this game will not disappoint. It delivers in almost every aspect.