Report states that MS was aware of a 68% defect rate with the 360

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

I don't believe anonymous sources and to give this any cred. at all without a credible source seems like fanboyism to me.

Certainly MS shot itself in the foot and is still paying the price but IMHO this 68% figure is way over the top.

Your thoughts ?

Report states that MS was aware of a 68% defect rate with the 360 screenshot

A new report by Dean Takahashi, the author of Opening the Xbox and The Xbox 360 Unlocked, concludes that Microsoft knew that the Xbox 360 had a 68% failure rate at launch, but were unwilling to stop production on the console. The decision to keep plowing ahead and get the defective Xbox 360s out early added up to over one billion dollars worth of extended warranties and fixes. Also according to Takahashi, the decision crippled Microsoft's ability to price the console as "aggressively" as they would have liked.

Takahashi's biggest bang in his new report is wrapped around an anonymous sourcewho said that Microsoft were adding "too many features after things were locked down" and added "[t]hat incremental feature adding just made [the Xbox 360] fragile." The report then claims that Microsoft went ahead with the production process, despite a 68 percent defect rate.

In the end, Takahashi concludes that the issue has cost Microsoft more than repair money. It cost the publisher the ability to push a price point to compete with the Wii. He states, "The quality problem negated much of the advantage of going first, and it has delayed the company's plan to aggressively market the console and slash its prices."

While I can't argue that it was a terrible business decision to go ahead with such an astounding defect rate, what was with all the surprise when people first started reporting all of the failures around launch? I find it hard to believe the Peter Moore could feign complete ignorance of the issue so long, so well. Do you guys think this is as insidious as Takahashi claims? How many Xbox 360s have you gone through?

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts
I've gone through two Xboxes and it amazes me M$ would still ship with a 68% defect rate... probably need to get out before sony badly.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
could you guys read? and do a search? firstly this has been posted 2-3 times before, 2nd its production units...I.E test units these units never saw consumer hands 68% defect rate in test units months upon months before launch the defect rate was never 68% for consumer model.
CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
Well they'd have to be pretty ignorant not to notice a 68% failure rate, this isn't much of a shock. It's like declaring Mc Donalds was aware it's food isn't healthy.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

These were pre-production models.

Ps3 also had a very high defect rate somewhere near 50% pre-production btw ;)

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

could you guys read? and do a search? firstly this has been posted 2-3 times before, 2nd its production units...I.E test units these units never saw consumer hands 68% defect rate in test units months upon months before launch the defect rate was never 68% for consumer model.WilliamRLBaker

Seems like a 68% defect rate from my experiences.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

could you guys read? and do a search? firstly this has been posted 2-3 times before, 2nd its production units...I.E test units these units never saw consumer hands 68% defect rate in test units months upon months before launch the defect rate was never 68% for consumer model.WilliamRLBaker

Actually we don't fully know the defect rate for the consumer model, MS won't tell us. But we do know it was bad enough that they had to spend 1 Billion dollars in an extended warranty to fix it so I am sure its well over the average.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 angelkimne

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]could you guys read? and do a search? firstly this has been posted 2-3 times before, 2nd its production units...I.E test units these units never saw consumer hands 68% defect rate in test units months upon months before launch the defect rate was never 68% for consumer model.Espada12

Seems like a 68% defect rate from my experiences.

Well that's not what the report says.
Avatar image for creeping-deth87
creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 creeping-deth87
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts

I'm sorry but 68% just screams bogus

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice

Listen pal. Point out where I said any different before mouthing off about reading and doing research to me. :evil: 68% defect of non consumer models and MS decides to go full production knowing 68% pre production defects is over the top - clear as mud now !

Secondly, I haven't seen the thread here on SW so, so sorry it upsets you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

I'm a "cow" and the report says no such thing. What the report DID say is that the first production models running off the line had a 68% failure rate. These are the test units they run to check how well production is running. These aren't the models that are sold to customers. It's like when they were first working on the PS3 and reports came out that only a small percentage of the first cell chips were properly working. THose weren't the chips they sell...they were just testing the production process.

BUt the 360 failure rate is wicked high for a console and MS knew it and went to the public and openly lied by saying it was only 3% and the most reliable console in history.

-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
Finally the RRoD is getting some attention. I went through 2 systems already. For people who say this it's really not that big of a deal. Believe me it is.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]could you guys read? and do a search? firstly this has been posted 2-3 times before, 2nd its production units...I.E test units these units never saw consumer hands 68% defect rate in test units months upon months before launch the defect rate was never 68% for consumer model.SecretPolice

Listen pal. Point out where I said any different before mouthing off about reading and doing research to me. :evil: 68% defect of non consumer models and MS decides to go full production knowing 68% pre production defects is over the top - clear as mud now !

You just ruined his whole day man! For shame!!

michelle341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 michelle341
Member since 2008 • 734 Posts

I'm not surprised at all...I went through 2 rrod in less then a year and another xbox 360 that couldent read any disc I put into it...

this why I bought a ps3...no regrets.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

Oh well, the RROD has been dwindling in newer models... so whatever. They survived, they've moved on, they had a 3 year warranty for it - it's over as far as I'm concerned.

Now, if I get the RROD tomorrow. I will be angry, but I dont care about the RROD anymore as long as I dont get it, lol.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
well I guess you get what you pay for! reasons why it's good to be a pc gamer.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]could you guys read? and do a search? firstly this has been posted 2-3 times before, 2nd its production units...I.E test units these units never saw consumer hands 68% defect rate in test units months upon months before launch the defect rate was never 68% for consumer model.SecretPolice

then thats your fault for being lazy then cause it was obvious to find, you didn't search for it at all its old like a week now old so your at fault.
2nd you did say otherwise in yoru topic title, microsoft aware of 68% defect rate you mention nothing that it was pre production units and that microsoft actively tried to fix the problem before launch.

I'm a "cow" and the report says no such thing. What the report DID say is that the first production models running off the line had a 68% failure rate. These are the test units they run to check how well production is running. These aren't the models that are sold to customers. It's like when they were first working on the PS3 and reports came out that only a small percentage of the first cell chips were properly working. THose weren't the chips they sell...they were just testing the production process.

BUt the 360 failure rate is wicked high for a console and MS knew it and went to the public and openly lied by saying it was only 3% and the most reliable console in history.

ZIMdoom

dont believe i've ever heard microsoft say its the most reliable console in history.

carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 carljohnson3456
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]could you guys read? and do a search? firstly this has been posted 2-3 times before, 2nd its production units...I.E test units these units never saw consumer hands 68% defect rate in test units months upon months before launch the defect rate was never 68% for consumer model.WilliamRLBaker

then thats your fault for being lazy then cause it was obvious to find, you didn't search for it at all its old like a week now old so your at fault.
2nd you did say otherwise in yoru topic title, microsoft aware of 68% defect rate you mention nothing that it was pre production units and that microsoft actively tried to fix the problem before launch.

Well, either way, seeing as how frequent consumers were getting RROD's for the first two years of the 360's life - this is completely relevant to System Wars and there was no harm in posting this at all.

Geesh you seem to be getting pretty personal about it. :roll:

carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 carljohnson3456
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]could you guys read? and do a search? firstly this has been posted 2-3 times before, 2nd its production units...I.E test units these units never saw consumer hands 68% defect rate in test units months upon months before launch the defect rate was never 68% for consumer model.WilliamRLBaker

ZIMdoom

dont believe i've ever heard microsoft say its the most reliable console in history.

But they did say the failure rate was "well within the industry standards" of 3-5%.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

68% Pre Production Failure Rate.

Please people, get that through your heads. 68% pre production means based on component tests (like the PS3 BRD Diode tests) yielded a 68% failure rate.

This DOES NOT mean 7 of 10 360s failed after retail - which some of you are making it out to be.

and for you people saying the article doesn't mention it PLEASE read the original from last week - ignorance of the fact does not make you right, 68% was clearly laid out as 'PRE PRODUCTION' in the original source article.

7 of 10 failing at market would have meant massive class action lawsuit, i mean think about it people. it's not that tough :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

ZIMdoom

I don't want to get into a peeing contest but......

The topic title was taken directly as is from this article - other words; not my title but the title af this article. Plus, the body of the article reveals precisely what the 68 % is being referred too.

Just for kicks and giggles, could you go ahead and post the link to those SW threads that already have posted & discussed this article so I can see what was said in those threads created a week ago ?

leejohnson7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 leejohnson7
Member since 2007 • 2909 Posts
I'd be quite worried if they weren't aware to be honest.
regorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 regorego
Member since 2005 • 332 Posts
of course they would be aware.... lol it's they're product after all and they know it better than anyone else
0bscurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 0bscurity
Member since 2005 • 836 Posts

That's pretty horrible if the defect rate was that high in production stages yet still met consumers hands with as many problems as it has/had.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Whenever I hear that whole "under 33%" I laugh. I know that that number is false just because of the number of my friends 360s that have broken. Sure thats not "credible" but its good enough for me.
masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

Ohh god... not another thread on this..

The report says PRE-PRODUCTION..read the damn report...the failure rate of the production 360's is not 68%

Just like the failure rate of the PS3 is not 40% http://www.gamesfirst.com/?id=1376

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts

I've gone through two Xboxes and it amazes me M$ would still ship with a 68% defect rate... probably need to get out before sony badly.Espada12
FFS, what is it with the 360 and any bad news, why does it always to be blown out of proportion

PRE-PRODUCTION units

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice

The report says PRE-PRODUCTION..read the damn report...the failure rate of the production 360's is not 68%

Just like the failure rate of the PS3 is not 40% http://www.gamesfirst.com/?id=1376

masiisam
Oh golly, try reading through the thread first, then comment.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="masiisam"]

SecretPolice

Hes talking about all the fanboys still jumping on '68%'
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

You fail to understand that preproduction models are just that: preproduction models. They do it to iron out the kinks in the system. IT didn't ship with a 69% defect rate.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

To be honest, every single bit of information in that article might be true and it probably is, but the author has zero credibility as far as I'm concerned. This is the same guy that "reviewed" Mass Effect without realizing that you could level up your characters and then writing an article bashing the game which he later had to retract.

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts
[QUOTE="masiisam"]

SecretPolice

Ohh golly....Thanks for the hot tip..

maybe you should direct your comment to the posters that STILL think the 68% is accurate

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Well all I can say is that the 360 has a 100% faillure rate among me and my friends

all my friends had atleast one RRod or DRE. I had RROD twice.

but yeah me & my friends =/= the entire userbase

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]could you guys read? and do a search? firstly this has been posted 2-3 times before, 2nd its production units...I.E test units these units never saw consumer hands 68% defect rate in test units months upon months before launch the defect rate was never 68% for consumer model.BumFluff122

You fail to understand that preproduction models are just that: preproduction models. They do it to iron out the kinks in the system. IT didn't ship with a 69% defect rate.

Heck it was probably even higher with earlier models.

Tin hats people!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]could you guys read? and do a search? firstly this has been posted 2-3 times before, 2nd its production units...I.E test units these units never saw consumer hands 68% defect rate in test units months upon months before launch the defect rate was never 68% for consumer model.BumFluff122

What in Gods name are you reading if not reading the Underlined ?
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 angelkimne

Well all I can say is that the 360 has a 100% faillure rate among me and my friends

killerfist

Strangely i know 6 other people with a 360 and only 1 of them has got RRoD.

But even on these forums I think more 360 owners have got RRoD than not. I would do a Poll but it would be impossible to limit it to legit votes.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
[QUOTE="BumFluff122"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

As stated before... They did not SHIP with a 68% defect rate. Full production DID NOT HAPPEN with a 68% defect rate. Everyone in this thread has been telling you exactly the same thing. How many more times do you have to read it before it goes through?
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
So not cool, I bought a PS3 on launch, yes I had to pay 600 bucks, but I also got a console with all the bells and whistles that works great, what did 360 fans get for supporting MS early in? A console with a seriously high rate failure. And I've read the article, don't quote me saying "it's not 68%!!!!" I know very well what the article says, what MS did was simply wrong.
erica1633

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 erica1633
Member since 2005 • 210 Posts
I could count up at least 10 of my friends that have 360's and safely say at least 7 of them broke. Thats as much proof as I need
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"][QUOTE="masiisam"]

FirstDiscovery

Hes talking about all the fanboys still jumping on '68%'

If that's the case then it should not be stated: " Not another thread on this " as though I'm trying to further this bunk. I am clearly stating in the OP that the article, Yes talking about pre-production of 68 % failure is bogus especially with anonymous sources stating this bogallity ( I know - not a word ) :lol:
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 killerfist
[QUOTE="killerfist"]

angelkimne

But even on these forums I think more 360 owners have got RRoD than not. I would do a Poll but it would be impossible to limit it to legit votes.

yeah making a poll (especially on SW:P) is useless. Only MS knows the real figures anyway. And I don't think they are happy to release those figures in the open
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"][QUOTE="BumFluff122"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

As stated before... They did not SHIP with a 68% defect rate. Full production DID NOT HAPPEN with a 68% defect rate. Everyone in this thread has been telling you exactly the same thing. How many more times do you have to read it before it goes through?

Exactly, they couldve just filtered out the models they deemed were completely defective
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
So not cool, I bought a PS3 on launch, yes I had to pay 600 bucks, but I also got a console with all the bells and whistles that works great, what did 360 fans get for supporting MS early in? A console with a seriously high rate failure. And I've read the article, don't quote me saying "it's not 68%!!!!" I know very well what the article says, what MS did was simply wrong.Eddie-Vedder
what do you care really? There's was still a similarity with you and a 360 owner with RROD...Neither one of you were spending too much time playing games.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SecretPolice
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"][QUOTE="BumFluff122"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Where do I say shipped with 68% ? where? where? where?

The article which I call fanboyism says MS went to production knowing a 68% failure rate existed IN NON CONSUMER MODELS - Sheeesh !

CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

You need to read, and use common since.

"The report then claims that Microsoft wentahead with the production process, despite a 68 percent defect rate."

Basically it saying, "Yea, I know my product failed 68% of the time, but let just but it on the streets anyway.

linufinu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 linufinu
Member since 2005 • 433 Posts
[QUOTE="killerfist"]

angelkimne

xbox360 its the best console this generation to play pirated games Gears of war, Halo,Blue Dragon,Gta,Call of Duty,Perfect Dark,Kameo,Too Human,Ninja Gaiden 2,Lost Planet.All of them donladed from torrents just think about it ,how much money did i saved
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 angelkimne
[QUOTE="angelkimne"][QUOTE="killerfist"]

linufinu

xbox360 its the best console this generation to play pirated games Gears of war, Halo,Blue Dragon,Gta,Call of Duty,Perfect Dark,Kameo,Too Human,Ninja Gaiden 2,Lost Planet.All of them donladed from torrents just think about it ,how much money did i saved

???

Torrents are way too slow for my liking anywayz....

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]could you guys read? and do a search? firstly this has been posted 2-3 times before, 2nd its production units...I.E test units these units never saw consumer hands 68% defect rate in test units months upon months before launch the defect rate was never 68% for consumer model.CubanBlunt

You need to read, and use common since.

"The report then claims that Microsoft wentahead with the production process, despite a 68 percent defect rate."

Basically it saying, "Yea, I know my product failed 68% of the time, but let just but it on the streets anyway.

So what do you expect MS to do, delay the console in the last minute? If you havent forgotten, the other 32% are working, believe or not, they couldve simply filtered those to the market hence the mass shortages
linufinu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 linufinu
Member since 2005 • 433 Posts
[QUOTE="linufinu"][QUOTE="angelkimne"][QUOTE="killerfist"]

angelkimne

???

you know that the games are been realising 3-4 days before the official release
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 killerfist
[QUOTE="angelkimne"][QUOTE="linufinu"][QUOTE="angelkimne"][QUOTE="killerfist"]

linufinu

???

you know that the games are been realising 3-4 days before the official release

WTH is your point? :?