REPORT: Sony & Microsoft To Roll Out New IP Gaming Consoles as early as 2009

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#51 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

[QUOTE="TDLlama"]I don't see it happening. Consoles will always have a 5-10 year lifespan as it has always been, for the most part.mjarantilla

They did, until the Xbox. 4 year lifespan FT....L.

Kinda funny you should mention that because the Xbox was the first to live for such a short time...unbelievable. This is one thing I wish Microsoft hadn't of done to the gaming industry. Everything else they've done has been fantastic.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#52 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

[QUOTE="TDLlama"]I don't see it happening. Consoles will always have a 5-10 year lifespan as it has always been, for the most part.mjarantilla

They did, until the Xbox. 4 year lifespan FT....L.

Except the Xbox bled money like... something that bleeds a lot. They had to kill it.

The 360 is actually making money in some quarters. If the console has the potential to be profitable, why should they get rid of it?

funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts
If this is true, I'll be washing my hands of console gaming. Give us some time to enjoy (and pay for) what's already out before you drop support :roll:
Spider-Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Spider-Jones
Member since 2008 • 453 Posts

They both realized the Wii is kicking the crap out of them and their products dont have enough commercial appeal so they want this gen over as fast as possible.

I believe it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
2009? No way. 2011 at the earliest. Even then I won't buy them until much later.
ovechkin08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ovechkin08
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts
Wow, I have never heard of that PSX thingy. Sorry but I just got into gaming about a year ago. What is that PSX thing?:oops:
slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts
This is impossible, Sony simply doesn't have the money to launch a new console. MS on the other hand...
strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts
100% BC this time M$. No excuses.
E M I N 3 M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 E M I N 3 M
Member since 2002 • 2615 Posts

This is impossible, Sony simply doesn't have the money to launch a new console. MS on the other hand...slickchris7777
Thank you....QFT They hyped cell & blu-ray and poured waaay too much money to just drop it all in a total of 4yrs. Besides the financial backing, atleast M$ can say, "hey we lasted 5-6yrs". lol As someone pointed out....M$ needs 110% backwards compatibility in the nex-gen. No excuses!

*EDIT* HOME isn't even out & PS3 has yet to see any killer AAA titles...uh-huh sure...PS4 will be out in 2010 :P

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
if true the "pc is expencive" or "you have to upgrade pc every year" arguments is dead
Kantroce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Kantroce
Member since 2006 • 533 Posts
I wonder if they'll make sure they work this time.
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
If this is true.. i'm giving up console gaming.. that's just way too much money.. in a very short lifespan..
my computer has been what.. 5 years.. only thing i did was get a videocard (since i had stock)..
and the 6600gt still is pretty decent.. :|
2012 -_- atleast.. imo..
Truth-slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 Truth-slayer
Member since 2004 • 2510 Posts
I read this earlier today. And my opinion remains unchanged. If there are new consoles on the market in 2009-2010 I am done buying consoles for awhile. That is simply too much money to be spending with far too much frequency for something that I do in my quickly diminishing free time.TheSystemLord1
I agree 100%. But I really dont think either console will be releasing anything until 2011 at the earliest. It is just bad business.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#64 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
Looks like it's PC only for me next gen...I knew it would happen but I just kept telling myself nope and now look, milkage to the max.
omarguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 omarguy01
Member since 2004 • 8139 Posts

in a way i want it to happen... lets face it... they both have some pretty major flaws

but then again... its ONLY BEEN (about) 2 years!!!! :evil: WTF!

seriously... i'd quit console gaming... after sc2... i'd have no regrets :D

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
Sony won't. MS probably won't either. MS is the more likely of the 2 to make a new console earlier I'd say.
f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#67 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts
[QUOTE="f50p90"]

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32038.html

Sony is really stressing "10 YEARS", i doubt it

mjarantilla

teh gullible.

they still make ps2 games..

justin4444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 justin4444
Member since 2004 • 718 Posts
Yeah! Nice one. I'll stick to pc gaming first and wait 'till the new consoles will be released..
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

While all of this probably nothing more than standard rumor, I still fill need to comment if it happens to be tru. So, with that being said, personally, I do not want to see ANY new consoles from Nintendo, Sony or Mircosoft until 2011.

- Nintendo: Wii, 17 months later, is still selling-out as if it were Christmas, with not only no end in-sight, however, without going to the price-drop or bundle gimmicks as of yet. Goes without saying, if Nintendo plays their cards correctly, this thing could have PS2-like life-cycle and if it can, they had better go with that direction, because I still say that is part of the reason why PS3 has had some trouble in transitioning from last generation, because of the continued-and-crazy success of the PS2.

- Sony: Just would not make sense, from any standpoint. PS3, is just now barely gaining some ground and unlike the GCN, does not have the advatage of being made for cheap and profitable. If Sony is wanting to make profit from this thing (and imagine they do), I would give this little bit more than average 5 year life-cycle.

- Microsoft: Did they learn nothing from the 360's plaguing issues that continue to this day? Also, if I remember correctly, people, even if only at first, were not exactly pleased with Mircosoft cutting the legs off of the Xbox Original early. If they do it again, people may begin to percieve that as early begging of some sort of trend, and therefore, as potential issue.

Also, 2009 just seems way too damn early. I do not how else to say it other than that...

zaid55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 zaid55
Member since 2005 • 1132 Posts
Microsoft is the one killing gaming. I for one will not pick up another microsoft console
jmdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 jmdude
Member since 2007 • 2521 Posts

I don't have a PS3 yet but then Sony is now planning to make a new console? This better not happen or else i'll wait for PS4. PS3's price is still very high for Sony to make another console. 2009/2010 is too early. I think 2014 or 2015 is the appropriate year to launch the PS4.

Photobucket

getting a ps3 on March 30

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts
I don't think Squeenix would be happy if Sony releases a new console the same time as FFXIII comes out.

If this would happen I think both MS and Sony will loose a lot of third party support. It's exactly the same way SEGA lost it after Saturn.
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts

If this were to happen, Sony would have the oppurtunity to put MS to shame. Because consumers are not even ready for current gen consoles yet. PS2 is outselling both the 360 and the PS3. At the time MS released a new console (if it happens) then Sony will have build up a userbase that is far too huge to just leeave them in cold.

Third Party Developers will just ignore the new released console, and develop for Sony's allready established userbase of 3/4 years long. What did MS do last-generation? They dumped their userbase and just completely canceled support for the Xbox. So if this happens. I'm actually going to buy a PS3.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

What I've understood after reading the whole artical that Sony are not going to rush their next console.

"He also said "We were lucky in that we took the gamble and built in a Blu ray player into the PS3. This and great games plus an excellent processor has helped us in the market. We also have the PS2 which is still selling extremely well. Microsoft is struggling and need a new gaming and entertainment solution quicker than we do."

I guess the PS3 would have a 5-6 year cycle before launching a new one, so after two years of the new Xbox, the new PS console would arrive

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#75 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
This was an incredibly short generation. I'm not about to buy the next generation consoles. -_-
Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#76 Erkidu
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
That would be pretty hard ownage, if it's true. That's the equivalent of both manufacturers essentially "giving up" on their current consoles.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

If Microsoft releases early Sony will be forced to as well. They can't let MS launch early again we see how many jumped to X360 this generation just because MS launched early. Defective console and all. With that said Sony will support PS3 just like they have done every other gaming machine they've built. I trust that.

This has to be worrysome for current X360 owners, MS has a business built on forcing people to upgrade. They do it with their applications, they do it with their OS, they did it with the original Xbox and I see no reason for them to support X360. Sure it made some minor profits a quarter here and there but nothing substantial.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

It's just vaporware, I would not believe this article for one second.

Google the Phantom if you want to see what happens with these DL concept consoles.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Did they not say MS planned on announcing the new consol 2009/2010? Meaning it won't be available for purchase right away. Also, yes, if it came out right now, it would be too early, but by the end of next year, and or the end of the year after, it WILL start to feel like the time is right. I mean 360 came out in 2005, it has mainstream following now, and in 2 years time, it will be getting old. MS new box will destroy the capabilities of the current PS3 and shorten it's lifespan, which if SOny doens't release a competitor console, the PS3 will become the long lasting PS2 but all the kewl stuff and new games will be on xbox 720 or whatever it iwll be called.

MS are basically driving a nail into the coffin of the PS3's shortened life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

[QUOTE=""]"After several days of internal consideration Microsoft executives have said that they will not be producing a Blu ray Xbox 360. Instead the Company is working on a brand new gaming and entertainment solution that will replace the current Xbox 360.

The device will go head to head with a new home console from Sony that is both a gaming console and content management system. It is not expected to be launched untill late in 2009 or early 2010. Key to the new Microsoft offering according to a development engineer is IP content which Microsoft believes is the future for both gaming and home entertainment."Dreams-Visions

Link.

Madness if true.

I think this is just an example of analysts taking two past trends, slapping them together, and calling it a "prediction".

THey are combining the past trend of consoles lasting roughly 5 years, with the fact that companies begin creating one console almost as soon as they launch the current console. Then they are taking these two things to say, "Its PROOF that new consoles will be out 2009.

I don't buy it. But 2009 consoles will still be in the same price range as what previous gens LAUNCHED at. And they will only alienate the market if they keep releasing expensive consoles when the previous gen doesn't even drop to a low enough price for massive sales and market acceptance.

Plus the way console tech is going, trying to maintain the old 4-5 year lifespan is only going to ensure that consoles become more and more expensive each gen. And we saw how well that has worked this gen with the 360 seeing only Xbox level sales, and the PS3 launching like a lead balloon.

Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#81 Erkidu
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts

Did they not say MS planned on announcing the new consol 2009/2010? Meaning it won't be available for purchase right away. Also, yes, if it came out right now, it would be too early, but by the end of next year, and or the end of the year after, it WILL start to feel like the time is right. I mean 360 came out in 2005, it has mainstream following now, and in 2 years time, it will be getting old. MS new box will destroy the capabilities of the current PS3 and shorten it's lifespan, which if SOny doens't release a competitor console, the PS3 will become the long lasting PS2 but all the kewl stuff and new games will be on xbox 720 or whatever it iwll be called.

MS are basically driving a nail into the coffin of the PS3's shortened life.

Phazevariance
I think MS releasing a console in 2009/2010 would hurt their chances at being successful in the future. People will definitely stop buying their consoles if they know that MS will just release another one in 4 years.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
[QUOTE="ironcreed"]

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]I read this earlier today. And my opinion remains unchanged. If there are new consoles on the market in 2009-2010 I am done buying consoles for awhile. That is simply too much money to be spending with far too much frequency for something that I do in my quickly diminishing free time.TheSystemLord1

Indeed it is alot of money, especially if you always buy more than one console, and then of course you factor in the games and accessories as well. It adds up rather quickly, lol.

This is probably why my feelings are what they are. I own all 3 consoles. Barely feel like I've gotten to enjoy them...and here we are ready for the next round again possibly next year? No thanks.

Agreed.

But honestly...I expected a new Xbox around 2010. the 360 will have become a 5-year old console in an industry where 5 years is the typical cycle for the introduction of new hardware. Not to suggest or expect that MS will stop supporting the 360 (because it's making them money this time, as I recall), but idunno...people forget that the 360 is going on 3 years old.

time flies.

JediRiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 JediRiff
Member since 2007 • 2159 Posts

Several things about this stand out to me, aside from the fact I dont want to see a new console for several more years at the very least.

One, the Sony exec referred to the new console as a "node". If you have any telephony knowledge, or any knowledge in the communications industry this word could be a very interesting thing to think about. That is, if they are referring to node as I do when it comes to fiber installation. (My job) Nodes are basically hubs that terminate and allocate your fiber connections and manage your bandwidth, and you can change them out or upgrade them to diversify or upgrade your bandwidth output. His calling the console a node really intrigues me. I guess we will have to wait and see what they mean exactly by this comment.

Two, I dont know about anyone else, but I keep getting the feeling that all this talk of kiosks and downloads almost sounds like its weeding out actual physical purchases and copies of DVDs/Hi Def DVDs. I do not like that, at all. I like having the actual movies along with their cases as a part of a collection of flicks that fit my tastes. I dont want my collection on a harddrive.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

[QUOTE=""]"After several days of internal consideration Microsoft executives have said that they will not be producing a Blu ray Xbox 360. Instead the Company is working on a brand new gaming and entertainment solution that will replace the current Xbox 360.

The device will go head to head with a new home console from Sony that is both a gaming console and content management system. It is not expected to be launched untill late in 2009 or early 2010. Key to the new Microsoft offering according to a development engineer is IP content which Microsoft believes is the future for both gaming and home entertainment."Dreams-Visions

Link.

Madness if true.

If Sony was stupid enough to launch another console in 2009, that would be suicide. It would piss alot of people off. I for one wouldn't buy it. I just got my PS3 less than 2 months ago. I am not buying another console until 2012-2013 at the earliest. I am happy with my PS3. And if they did do it, it would just force me back to being 100% PC only. I would play my PS3, but once it died out, that would be it for consoles for me. I just decided to give console a second chance with getting the PS3. Don't screw me over Sony, or I will screw up over right back (won't support you anymore).
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
I don't care. I'm going for the PC.
Lebron181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Lebron181
Member since 2008 • 837 Posts
IDK about ms but sony is barely rolling with Final Fantasy and other ip's in 2009.
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 l-_-l
If this is true. That would mean I would be upgrading my consoles more often than my PC. :lol::lol::lol:
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 l-_-l

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]I read this earlier today. And my opinion remains unchanged. If there are new consoles on the market in 2009-2010 I am done buying consoles for awhile. That is simply too much money to be spending with far too much frequency for something that I do in my quickly diminishing free time.3picuri3

and you call yourself the system lord? lol. you're lucky you're not a PC enthusiast.. big bills there... big bills.

Only if you want it that way. You don't have to upgrade your PC like consolites would like you to believe. I have had my PC for over a year and don't plan on upgrading it for at least two more years. My PC plays every game on max except Crysis. In two years, it will still play most games on max or near it. Don't be fooled by the lies consolites try to feed on how often a PC needs upgraded. Or on how expensive it is.
gsx1100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 gsx1100
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Link.

Madness if true.

The new Sony console would probably be a slimline or maybe a more media focused version of the PS3.Looking at Sony track record it not likely that they release a PS4 by 2009.On the other hand I wont be too surprised if MS release another console by 2009.

TheWiikestLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 TheWiikestLink
Member since 2006 • 1730 Posts
sony wasnt ready for its launch i doubt theyll be ready for yet ANOTHER console by next year....this sound just plain ridiculous.
TheWiikestLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 TheWiikestLink
Member since 2006 • 1730 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

The device will go head to head with a new home console from Sony that is both a gaming console and content management system. It is not expected to be launched untill late in 2009 or early 2010. Key to the new Microsoft offering according to a development engineer is IP content which Microsoft believes is the future for both gaming and home entertainment."gsx1100

Link.

Madness if true.

The new Sony console would probably be a slimline or maybe a more media focused version of the PS3.Looking at Sony track record it not likely that they release a PS4 by 2009.On the other hand I wont be too surprised if MS release another console by 2009.

agreed.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Dreams-Visions
I agree with that as well.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#94 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

The device will go head to head with a new home console from Sony that is both a gaming console and content management system. It is not expected to be launched untill late in 2009 or early 2010. Key to the new Microsoft offering according to a development engineer is IP content which Microsoft believes is the future for both gaming and home entertainment."gsx1100

Link.

Madness if true.

Rumors and reports on the Xbox 360 were swirling for no less than two years before it launched but there's not even the slightest bit of concrete evidence to show there's a new console coming outside of a few scattered rumors and people are already claiming it's coming in 2009. which is less than a year away?

I highly doubt it. While it could happen, it doesn't seem likely at all.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Dreams-Visions
a 2009 announcement for a 2010 launch would not shock me at all.
Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts

I don't see it happening. Consoles will always have a 5-10 year lifespan as it has always been, for the most part.

What I do see potentially happening is a focus on casual gaming next-gen without sacrificing the so-called hardcore. I have a feeling Microsoft or Sony will release two separate consoles next-gen... one with all the bells and whistles, the kit and kaboodle if you will. The other will be a cheaper, less powerful console similar to the Wii with some sort of motion-sensing or other innovation. Think about it... a Sony PS4 supercomputer competing with a PS4 Lite... with last-gen-like graphics and pick up and play controls.

TDLlama

I think that would be a bad business move. They would not only push away the hardcore gaming population (as they want EVERYTHING in their console, both pick-up-and-play controls AND Next-Gen graphics), but create internal rivals within their line of products that would cannibalize one another.

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#97 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
10 year life cycle for next gen consoles.
00Raziel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 00Raziel00
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts

I wont bother getting a new console if they came out that early ill just get a gaming computer.

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#99 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts

If true, I can see consoles becoming like Apples Ipods. Just imagine it: Every year a new console is released with some new name and consumers eat it up like the rest of the crap. Xbox 720 Video, PS4 Nano, Wii Touch anyone?

Seriously, 4 years is rather short for a console's lifespan...
Saturos3091

Well if microsoft holds out till 2010 it will have actually been 5 years for them, that is the average lifespan for consoles. Still this generation sure does seem to be going by quick if this is true.

shaggyaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 shaggyaz
Member since 2004 • 2279 Posts
for microsoft a late 2010 launch is likley but a 2009? I doubt it