REPORT: Sony & Microsoft To Roll Out New IP Gaming Consoles as early as 2009

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

"After several days of internal consideration Microsoft executives have said that they will not be producing a Blu ray Xbox 360. Instead the Company is working on a brand new gaming and entertainment solution that will replace the current Xbox 360.

The device will go head to head with a new home console from Sony that is both a gaming console and content management system. It is not expected to be launched untill late in 2009 or early 2010. Key to the new Microsoft offering according to a development engineer is IP content which Microsoft believes is the future for both gaming and home entertainment."

Link.

Madness if true.

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32038.html

Sony is really stressing "10 YEARS", i doubt it

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 tekmojo
Member since 2006 • 1425 Posts
10 years baby
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
If true, I can see consoles becoming like Apples Ipods. Just imagine it: Every year a new console is released with some new name and consumers eat it up like the rest of the crap. Xbox 720 Video, PS4 Nano, Wii Touch anyone?

Seriously, 4 years is rather short for a console's lifespan...
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
PS3 will be a 10 year console according to Sony.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

There goes the PS3 10 year life cycle...

I hope this isn't true. PS3 has legs!

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
Why do I have a feeling that sounds like the PSX ?
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

That's just ridiculous. I mean their current systems still haven't reached the mainstream pricing points of $200. Not to mention that many publishers (especially Japanese) still have to figure out what platforms to support. And let's not forget developers taking 3 years or more to make a game. Also the consumer just won't be ready yet, hell this generation was the longest console transition ever according to EA CEO. Finally the jump in tech. wasn't that impressive this generation what makes you think it will be more actually as impressive if the systems launched again without much breakthrough in gaming tech.

Sure the 4-5 years transition was alright before but now things have changed. IMO it should now be 7-8 years.

Anyway Nintendo has pretty much confirmed that as long as the Wii sells well they will keep supporting it without launching a new platform as well as with the DS.

Coldplay07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Coldplay07
Member since 2002 • 4513 Posts
4 or 5 years at least, but not 10 for any of them. There will be a new one out in a couple years and slowly software will shift from old to new. That's why it's called a cycle. It repeats. Sony was crazy for awhile, but the leaders have changed and I think they're trying to right their wrongs. Microsoft needs to not worry about being first and just worry about quality and making good decisions. In two or three years I'd be willing to buy a new console, but definitely not less than two and I think anything over three years would be a little long. From now that is.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Why do I have a feeling that sounds like the PSX ? kage_53

Biggest waste of money. I can't believe I bought into the hype. :(

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#11 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Sounds like Xbox all over again, if true. I truly hope that Microsoft does not kill the 360 while it still has plenty of life because there will be alot of angry gamers out there....like me. As far as Sony's plans, who knows? They still support the PS2, so I do not forsee them just killing off the PS3 so soon, even if they do release such a device.

On a side note, this sounds like some sort of unified platform or set top box type of tech to me....just as has been proclaimed will be the new norm in the coming years by certain industry insiders, as well as industry giants like EA. We shall see, I suppose.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

f50p90

Sony stressed the 10 years thing with the PS2 as well and we see that there have been PS3's on store shelves since 2006.

All that really means is they plan on making games for it for ten years. The PS4 could be out in 2009 or 2010 for all we know.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
I will not buy one. I'll upgrade the good ole' PC and just have the PS3 on the side if that is the case.
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
Well if the new 360 comes out in 2010 it will have had a 5 year life span or so.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="kage_53"]Why do I have a feeling that sounds like the PSX ? BioShockOwnz

Biggest waste of money. I can't believe I bought into the hype. :(

You...you actually bought that thing?

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts
if Sony doesn't stick it out now that they're doing well i'm becoming a sheep

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Why do I have a feeling that sounds like the PSX ? kage_53

I was thinking of the same thing :|

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

I always thought nintendo was the one killing gaming :?

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
How hilarious would it be if the Wii turned out to have the longest lifespan?
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

f50p90

they will SUPPORT it for 10 years, that means nothing about when the next playstation console will come out.

PS2 is still being supported... tell me when it released :P

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
No freaken way.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
I read this earlier today. And my opinion remains unchanged. If there are new consoles on the market in 2009-2010 I am done buying consoles for awhile. That is simply too much money to be spending with far too much frequency for something that I do in my quickly diminishing free time.
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SmashBrosLegend
[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"]How hilarious would it be if the Wii turned out to have the longest lifespan?Dreams-Visions
:lol: :( :cry:

I wouldn't mind if the Wii had the longest lifespan... so long as all three consoles lasted until at least late 2011.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheSystemLord1

How hilarious would it be if the Wii turned out to have the longest lifespan?SmashBrosLegend

If the Wii makes it til 2011 or so I see myself being alot bigger supporter of Nintendo in the future. Let Sony and Microsoft fight 3 year technology battles if they want to.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

I read this earlier today. And my opinion remains unchanged. If there are new consoles on the market in 2009-2010 I am done buying consoles for awhile. That is simply too much money to be spending with far too much frequency for something that I do in my quickly diminishing free time.TheSystemLord1

and you call yourself the system lord? lol. you're lucky you're not a PC enthusiast.. big bills there... big bills.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheSystemLord1

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]I read this earlier today. And my opinion remains unchanged. If there are new consoles on the market in 2009-2010 I am done buying consoles for awhile. That is simply too much money to be spending with far too much frequency for something that I do in my quickly diminishing free time.3picuri3

and you call yourself the system lord? lol. you're lucky you're not a PC enthusiast.. big bills there... big bills.

Lol yeah, I pretty much hate this name...but GS won't let me change it. It might help to say that at the time I created this I was planning on becoming a high school English teacher...plenty of gaming time there.

But my plans have since changed, and the world of corporate law doesn't leave much time for gaming.

SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SmashBrosLegend

[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"]How hilarious would it be if the Wii turned out to have the longest lifespan?TheSystemLord1

If the Wii makes it til 2011 or so I see myself being alot bigger supporter of Nintendo in the future. Let Sony and Microsoft fight 3 year technology battles if they want to.

I really do see Nintendo supporting the Wii for the next few years at least. They've just got too many IPs left to get out there (Kirby, Mario Kart, Starfox, Wave Race, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, DK [a real one], Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Custom Robo, WiiFit, WiiMusic, another Zelda, and many more Mario/Pokemon titles). Each of those games would provide a sales boost large enough for Nintendo to ride until the next release. That's how the GC survived. The only difference is that the Wii actually has appeal beyond the hardcore Nintendo base.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ironcreed

I read this earlier today. And my opinion remains unchanged. If there are new consoles on the market in 2009-2010 I am done buying consoles for awhile. That is simply too much money to be spending with far too much frequency for something that I do in my quickly diminishing free time.TheSystemLord1

Indeed it is alot of money, especially if you always buy more than one console, and then of course you factor in the games and accessories as well. It adds up rather quickly, lol.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheSystemLord1

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]I read this earlier today. And my opinion remains unchanged. If there are new consoles on the market in 2009-2010 I am done buying consoles for awhile. That is simply too much money to be spending with far too much frequency for something that I do in my quickly diminishing free time.ironcreed

Indeed it is alot of money, especially if you always buy more than one console, and then of course you factor in the games and accessories as well. It adds up rather quickly, lol.

This is probably why my feelings are what they are. I own all 3 consoles. Barely feel like I've gotten to enjoy them...and here we are ready for the next round again possibly next year? No thanks.

lolkie_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lolkie_81
Member since 2008 • 2004 Posts

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]I read this earlier today. And my opinion remains unchanged. If there are new consoles on the market in 2009-2010 I am done buying consoles for awhile. That is simply too much money to be spending with far too much frequency for something that I do in my quickly diminishing free time.ironcreed

I have spent a ton of money on gaming this gen. I have all 3 systems and the best hd tv on the market. It has not been long enough or had enough games this gen to justify the money. If it is moving this quickly I will become a hermit. I agree with 5 years a cycle but really the games this cycle have sucked so far and for having all 3 systems have more board with gaming than I should have been." there have been some great games just not enough"

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts
[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]

[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"]How hilarious would it be if the Wii turned out to have the longest lifespan?SmashBrosLegend

I really do see Nintendo supporting the Wii for the next few years at least. They've just got too many IPs left to get out there (Kirby, Mario Kart, Starfox, Wave Race, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, DK [a real one], Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Custom Robo, WiiFit, WiiMusic, another Zelda, and many more Mario/Pokemon titles). Each of those games would provide a sales boost large enough for Nintendo to ride until the next release. That's how the GC survived. The only difference is that the Wii actually has appeal beyond the hardcore Nintendo base.

Nintenod already stated that they would.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164150

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

f50p90

That was an encouraging video.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ironcreed
[QUOTE="ironcreed"]

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]I read this earlier today. And my opinion remains unchanged. If there are new consoles on the market in 2009-2010 I am done buying consoles for awhile. That is simply too much money to be spending with far too much frequency for something that I do in my quickly diminishing free time.lolkie_81

I have spent a ton of money on gaming this gen. I have all 3 systems and the best hd tv on the market. It has not been long enough or had enough games this gen to justify the money. If it is moving this quickly I will become a hermit. I agree with 5 years a cycle but really the games this cycle have sucked so far and for having all 3 systems have more board with gaming than I should have been." there have been some great games just not enough"

Agreed, and as TheSystemLord said, I too am just now really starting to enjoy myself this gen. There are alot of exciting games coming out for both the 360 and the PS3 this year, (a lot more impressive than 2007 imo) and there is just no way that I will be ready to move on to the "next gen" as early as 09'. Just no way. This gen easily has at least a good 3 years left, if you ask me....especially the PS3.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheSystemLord1
The trend we will begin to see is what has happened to the PS3. A year of absolutely nothing, followed by a decent year, and then 2 solid years before being hit with another system. I don't know about you guys, but what happened to the days when console launches had MUST PLAY games. Games like Halo: CE for the Xbox...
slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts
That article is BS. The only thing sony would launch in 2009 is the successor of the PSP. As for Microsoft, a new console is a possibility.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
I don't buy it one bit. MS just started to finally turn a profit with their box, there's absolutely no reason to kill it off early. Same goes for PS3. Getting a good ROI on those things requires that they pull in profits for a few years.
Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
These reports are going to hurt the 360's sales to the hardcore crowd. People arent going to buy a 360 when they know another one is just around the corner. They should have kept this hush hush or they should wait until 2010. I dont like the news one bit. The system has just been picking up the software support the last year or so. And with GTA and GoW2 comming out they could hurt these companies software sales as well. Bad move.
soulsofblayck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 soulsofblayck
Member since 2006 • 1591 Posts
As much as I hate the Wii, they are probably very anxious to take a peice of that marketshare by releasing consoles with some other distinct feature akin to the Wii. Thus, I DO believe this will be of the shorter cycles for Sony and Microsoft.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

f50p90

teh gullible.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
I simply won't buy it....simple as that.
7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts
I really dont see Sony or MS releasing a new console until 2011, but I think Nintendo wil release a different version of the Wii in 2009.
M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

If true (which I doubt) I am quitting console gaming for good. There is just no way in hell will I be ready for a new console by 2009 or 2010.

PC Gaming here I come!

Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
deactivated-587acdd100f19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-587acdd100f19
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts
If they do that I wont buy them and this will be my last gen for consoles.
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

I don't see it happening. Consoles will always have a 5-10 year lifespan as it has always been, for the most part.

What I do see potentially happening is a focus on casual gaming next-gen without sacrificing the so-called hardcore. I have a feeling Microsoft or Sony will release two separate consoles next-gen... one with all the bells and whistles, the kit and kaboodle if you will. The other will be a cheaper, less powerful console similar to the Wii with some sort of motion-sensing or other innovation. Think about it... a Sony PS4 supercomputer competing with a PS4 Lite... with last-gen-like graphics and pick up and play controls.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

I don't see it happening. Consoles will always have a 5-10 year lifespan as it has always been, for the most part.TDLlama

They did, until the Xbox. 4 year lifespan FT....L.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

If they do that I wont buy them and this will be my last gen for consoles.Ghost_Dub

Same here,

But I see microsoft staying for about 6 years due to success and Sony for 10 years. The Wii is up in the air

E M I N 3 M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 E M I N 3 M
Member since 2002 • 2615 Posts
Quote me....Sony will NOT be ready with a new console to go against M$ in 2010. They poured too much money into PS3. Not to mention, launched a year later.