Remember the PS3 was more "powerful" then the 360...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

When the PS3 dropped in 2006 it was a more powerful console then the 360 was and these forums looked exactly the same..

Teh playstation secret sauce for the win.. Now it has been a better start this time around for the playstation brand and I do enjoy my PS4, although it's kind of just sitting under my TV right now not being used. I had some fun with KZ and NBA but now whats left is just kind of meh.

I'm picking up my X1 friday and I'm pretty damn excited about Ryse and Dead Rising 3..

Anyway we've heard this song and dance before, I realize dev's don't have to work with the cell this time around and that's going to help.. but with some of the reviews already coming in and X1 games scoring higher I can't help but worry history is repeating it's self.. The PS4 will be worth it, but not for a few years down the road, where I'll get regular use out of the Xbox from day one.

Any dual console owners worried about their investment in the PS4 not paying off?

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

Dreamcast lineup>>>>>all other consoles.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Yeah, it was. And it continued to make great exclusives after 2011.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@drekula2 said:

And this time around PS4 has PC architecture and Sony talked to developers to make sure it was much easier to work with.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

@drekula2 said:

For sure, but it took forever for those good exclusives to come out and make the PS3 worth it.. I guess it'll take a year or so to really see if it was worth it buying the PS4 so early but it already seems like a bit of a mistake.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I'm pretty sure that the PS360 were roughly the same in power and any difference wasn't worth arguing over. It wasn't the 50% greater difference the PS4 has over the Xbone. 360 had a much stronger GPU and a weaker CPU. PS3 had a much stronger CPU and a weaker GPU. PS3 had more RAM (according to cows this means it's more powerful right?). At the end of the day the results were the same or close enough that it only mattered on places like here.

I think that since the PS4 is meaningfully more powerful than the Xbone and since they have similar archectecture, that if they aren't handcuffed with stupid requirements like 1080p at 60fps that PS4 games can look substantially better than xbone games.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Not at all. The Ps4 is looking to be one of the best consoles to date with a reasonable price, great specs, and a solid first party developer backing.

ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZoomZoom2490
Member since 2008 • 3943 Posts

Ninja Troll I smell, get lost clown.

he's buying Xbox One to play Ryse, rofl.

for dead rising just get x360 for cheap, lol.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Hmm? PS3 was indeed more powerful than 360. And by the end of the gen even multiplats like GTA5, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, etc looked better on PS3. As far as exclusives go PS3 kidnaped and abused 360. Took it to an abandoned shack and burned it with cigarette butts etc:

Here, have some abuse:

So as you can see all of these game are in 720P which is the same resolution that XBone is running Call of Duty.

PS4 runs games in 1080P. That means that the difference of resolution between PS4 and Xbone games is higher than the entirety of xbone games resolution. Or if you have a problem understanding first grade math let's put it this way: PS4 is a generation ahead of Xbone 720. Thanks.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

^^^^^moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

^^^^^moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

you misspelled booooohoooo cry moar ;D

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

@Bishop1310 said:

When the PS3 dropped in 2006 it was a more powerful console then the 360 was and these forums looked exactly the same..

Teh playstation secret sauce for the win.. Now it has been a better start this time around for the playstation brand and I do enjoy my PS4, although it's kind of just sitting under my TV right now not being used. I had some fun with KZ and NBA but now whats left is just kind of meh.

I'm picking up my X1 friday and I'm pretty damn excited about Ryse and Dead Rising 3..

Anyway we've heard this song and dance before, I realize dev's don't have to work with the cell this time around and that's going to help.. but with some of the reviews already coming in and X1 games scoring higher I can't help but worry history is repeating it's self.. The PS4 will be worth it, but not for a few years down the road, where I'll get regular use out of the Xbox from day one.

Any dual console owners worried about their investment in the PS4 not paying off?

Remember when the XBOX was "more powerful than the PS2"? Yeah, we saw how that turned out!!!!

...it was :|

TheDevKit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheDevKit
Member since 2013 • 74 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

The PS4's GPU is significantly more powerful than the Xbox One's.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

I will just leave this here.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I'm not touching the new set of consoles for a long ass time because my current systems suit me just fine. With that said, I see the PS4 as the best investment because when the PS3 development loses steam, Japanese developers are either going to go to handhelds (which is where a lot of the market over there is) or to the Sony system that is more geared towards them since Microsoft doesn't seem like they give a **** about that demographic. Then you have the first party which ranges from really good (God of War before 3, Infamous 1 and 2, Little Big Planet 1 and 2) to really bad (God of War 3, Uncharted trilogy, Killzone trilogy, and Resistance Trilogy), so there are bound to be some winners there depending on taste since there is a little bit of everything compared to Microsoft which is really heavy in a couple of genres and weak in others.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

But OP is going to say: "All those PS4 games fails and are boring. Only Xbox One games are good and better."

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

http://www.ign.com/games/reviews?platformSlug=ps4

According to IGN, PS4 has a GRAND TOTAL of 5 AAAs, 6 AAs, 2 As and a couple crappers (Knack & NBA Live)

Not too bad for a Launch with 1 million consoles sold in 24 hours to go with it.

2014 will be an AWESOME year for the PS4!

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

but it was....360 didnt have any games that came close to the looks of killzone 2-3 uncharted 2-3 god of war 3 the last of us beyond 2 souls

Avatar image for supercowelitist
SuperCowElitist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By SuperCowElitist
Member since 2013 • 732 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

Oh wow, looks like lemmings will be using Xbox one as a Media center next year, while us cows being gaming now and repeating thatall year, next year.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#21 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I love cow DC

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The PS3 and 360 had vastly different architectures making a direct comparison of technical specifications useless.

The Xbox One and the PS4 share practically the same architectures made by the same company (AMD). The fact is that the PS4 has better ram, a more efficient design for the RAM, and a straight up bigger and better GPU. These are facts. The PS4 is more powerful, this can't even be argued this time around.

The multiplats prove it. Nearly every single multiplat is running at a higher resolution than the Xbox One version.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

NVIDIA RSX has gimped 32bit floating point performance....

PS4 is slightly faster since it has 18 CUs at 800Mhz when compared to X1's 12 CUs at 853Mhz and both consoles are based on AMD's GCN architecture.

GotNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GotNugz
Member since 2010 • 681 Posts

While I think the Xbox one will do just fine I'm more interested in the PlayStation 4 for now. It's cheaper, more powerful, more innovative controller, and I know in time it will have the games I want from both east and west. The difference this gen is much bigger than it was last gen in terms of performance.

X360 gpu - 240 gflops unified 512mb ram

Ps3 - gpu 178 gflops 512mb split pool

Xone gpu - 1200 gflops 8gb ddr3

PS4 gpu - 1840 gflops 8gb gddr5

More than a 600gflop difference is big not to mention superior memory solution.

OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

@Bishop1310:

Yea,and it was the better console.

And PS4 is WAY more powerful than Xbone and again will be the better console.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@GotNugz said:

While I think the Xbox one will do just fine I'm more interested in the PlayStation 4 for now. It's cheaper, more powerful, more innovative controller, and I know in time it will have the games I want from both east and west. The difference this gen is much bigger than it was last gen in terms of performance.

X360 gpu - 240 gflops unified 512mb ram

Ps3 - gpu 178 gflops 512mb split pool

Xone gpu - 1200 gflops 8gb ddr3

PS4 gpu - 1840 gflops 8gb gddr5

More than a 600gflop difference is big not to mention superior memory solution.

PS3's SPEs acts like it's compute shader units.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=57736&page=5

------------------------

Yea transparencies are all about bandwidth right?He also mentioned that people forget that while you have 6 spus not only do you have to do geometry on them(since RSX has problems with it) but along all that post processing you have to dedicate some spus for that 3ppus and 3 VMX128 units from 360 for general code.On top of that there is long list of alot of minuses on RSX side when compared to xenos.Here is what he said...

"I could go on for pages listing the types of things the spu's are used for to make up for the machines aging gpu, which may be 7 series NVidia but that's basically a tweaked 6 series NVidia for the most part. But I'll just type a few off the top of my head:"

1) Two ppu/vmx units There are three ppu/vmx units on the 360, and just one on the PS3. So any load on the 360's remaining two ppu/vmx units must be moved to spu.

2) Vertex culling You can look back a few years at my first post talking about this, but it's common knowledge now that you need to move as much vertex load as possible to spu otherwise it won't keep pace with the 360.

3) Vertex texture sampling You can texture sample in vertex shaders on 360 just fine, but it's unusably slow on PS3. Most multi platform games simply won't use this feature on 360 to make keeping parity easier, but if a dev does make use of it then you will have no choice but to move all such functionality to spu.

4) Shader patching Changing variables in shader programs is cake on the 360. Not so on the PS3 because they are embedded into the shader programs. So you have to use spu's to patch your shader programs.

5) Branching You never want a lot of branching in general, but when you do really need it the 360 handles it fine, PS3 does not. If you are stuck needing branching in shaders then you will want to move all such functionality to spu.

6) Shader inputs You can pass plenty of inputs to shaders on 360, but do it on PS3 and your game will grind to a halt. You will want to move all such functionality to spu to minimize the amount of inputs needed on the shader programs.

7) Msaa alternatives Msaa runs full speed on 360 gpu needing just cpu tiling calculations. Msaa on PS3 gpu is very slow. You will want to move msaa to spu as soon as you can.

Post processing 360 is unified architecture meaning post process steps can often be slotted into gpu idle time. This is not as easily doable on PS3, so you will want to move as much post process to spu as possible.

9) Load balancing 360 gpu load balances itself just fine since it's unified. If the load on a given frame shifts to heavy vertex or heavy pixel load then you don't care. Not so on PS3 where such load shifts will cause frame drops. You will want to shift as much load as possible to spu to minimize your peak load on the gpu.

10) Half floats You can use full floats just fine on the 360 gpu. On the PS3 gpu they cause performance slowdowns. If you really need/have to use shaders with many full floats then you will want to move such functionality over to the spu's.

11) Shader array indexing You can index into arrays in shaders on the 360 gpu no problem. You can't do that on PS3. If you absolutely need this functionality then you will have to either rework your shaders or move it all to spu.

Etc, etc, etc...

--------

With PS3 vs Xbox 360, you can't compare it by direct CPU vs CPU and GPU vs GPU.

zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

If you know anything about hardware you would know that the PS3 was a disaster to program for. The PS4's GPU is 40% more powerful then the X1's. Once studios like Santa Monica and Naughty Dog start with their magic it will be game over for X1...game over, man...that and the multiplats will be better on PS4...

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Not the same situation at all, for many many reasons.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

How about people start playing whatever system it is they like regardless of what another person says?

You'd swear people are comparing an Atari 2600 to a Genesis.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@AMD655 said:

Truer words were never spoken....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
@zekere said:

If you know anything about hardware you would know that the PS3 was a disaster to program for. The PS4's GPU is 40% more powerful then the X1's. Once studios like Santa Monica and Naughty Dog start with their magic it will be game over for X1...game over, man...that and the multiplats will be better on PS4...

So what? The Saturn was harder to program than the PS....but I love my Saturn.

@AMD655 said:

Truer words were never spoken....

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. Engine structure and programming practices make all the difference. Just play whatever system has the games you want.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

Xbox games scoring higher the best looking game scored 4 just now...hahahaha

Also it already payed off Ghost 720p 60 FPS on xbox one,Ghost 1080p 70 FPS on PS4...Yeah is not an error i say 70 FPS...hahaha

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

....PS3 had more RAM

The ps3 did not have more ram it had the same 512mb the 360 had. If anythin the ram in the 360 was better cause it was a unified pool of 512mb rather than 2 seperate pools of 256mb like the ps3.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

720peasant race lol

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

360 was the best console of Gen7

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

1. I'm sorry

2. Games don't need arbitrary numbers to have fun with them

3. No