Rate the gaming company, Day 6: Nintendo

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

7/10, Nintendo is severly overrated these days. They were fantastic back in the days of NES/SNES, but from GC onwards they have sticked to the exact same franchises and have never met up to the generation's standards. Nintendo hasn't released anything within the past few years that is "masterpiece" quality in respects to the current generation standards.

Shinobishyguy

Uhh, mario galaxy 2?

Ever heard of it?

Yessir, I don't really see anything so special about it. Its fun, sure, but what does it really do that the franchise hasn't already done before?

That 10/10 score was undeserving IMO, there are so many other developers trying to push new experiences on consoles. I haven't seen anything like Journey, Flower, or Limbo reach a current Nintendo console.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

If Sony made a new console with PS Move, completely got rid of their third party support, created a weak console, and kept going on with MGS, Sly Cooper, Uncharted, and Jak and Daxter games, they would be bashed to oblivion. Nintendo does this and seems to get loads of praise, that's the hipocricy of this industry.

timmy00

Nintendo do get bashed for it though...

Yeah, I know they do get bashed for it by a certain group of gamers, but there are many many people out there that claim they are Nintengods, and they're constantly being forgiven for relying on the same franchises by industry experts and gamers. Just look at how many people gave Nintendo a 10/10 rating in this thread, it's ridiculous. What have they done that revolutionized gaming this gen? Motion gaming doesn't count, that was a clear move forward and even companies such as Sony made step forward in that department. Besides, it's not like motion gaming even had a positive lasting effect on the games, and I want to see any lasting effect made from Nintendo in the software department.

Their consoles are innovative, but the software on those consoles don't contain anything stellar.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

7/10, Nintendo is severly overrated these days. They were fantastic back in the days of NES/SNES, but from GC onwards they have sticked to the exact same franchises and have never met up to the generation's standards. Nintendo hasn't released anything within the past few years that is "masterpiece" quality in respects to the current generation standards.

XVision84

Uhh, mario galaxy 2?

Ever heard of it?

Yessir, I don't really see anything so special about it. Its fun, sure, but what does it really do that the franchise hasn't already done before?

That 10/10 score was undeserving IMO, there are so many other developers trying to push new experiences on consoles. I haven't seen anything like Journey, Flower, or Limbo reach a current Nintendo console.

Quality isn't determined solely by innovation.
CLOUDsea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 CLOUDsea
Member since 2012 • 1095 Posts

7/10. Poor sense of direction and planning, weak effort in games department (although they release some very good games), and general incompetence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]Uhh, mario galaxy 2?

Ever heard of it?

meetroid8

No, but it gets to a point where the lack of innovation becomes a gaping problem. Nintendo shouldn't be relying on the same franchises they've had for decades as their core games. There needs to be innovation to push a platform forward. In fact it's ironic how so many people claim Nintendo is ripe with ideas and rich innovation, yet they've been doing the same thing they always have, only this time with motion gaming.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#106 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

If Sony made a new console with PS Move, completely got rid of their third party support, created a weak console, and kept going on with MGS, Sly Cooper, Uncharted, and Jak and Daxter games, they would be bashed to oblivion. Nintendo does this and seems to get loads of praise, that's the hipocricy of this industry.

XVision84

Nintendo do get bashed for it though...

Yeah, I know they do get bashed for it by a certain group of gamers, but there are many many people out there that claim they are Nintengods, and they're constantly being forgiven for relying on the same franchises by industry experts and gamers. Just look at how many people gave Nintendo a 10/10 rating in this thread, it's ridiculous. What have they done that revolutionized gaming this gen? Motion gaming doesn't count, that was a clear move forward and even companies such as Sony made step forward in that department. Besides, it's not like motion gaming even had a positive lasting effect on the games.

Their consoles are innovative, but the software on those consoles don't contain anything stellar.

On this forum sure, there's a select few people but plenty of people in and outside of this forum dislike what nintendo did this gen. (console wise)

Their games get good scores simply because they are good. It's the same for uncharted, Halo, gears, god of war, etc. Not everything needs to push gaming forward. Personally I think there's a few games on the Wii that push genres forward.

and yes Motion controls do count. I don't see why it would not. It's most likely why we're seeing things like the Move and Kinect.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

No, but it gets to a point where the lack of innovation becomes a gaping problem. Nintendo shouldn't be relying on the same franchises they've had for decades as their core games. There needs to be innovation to push a platform forward. In fact it's ironic how so many people claim Nintendo is ripe with ideas and rich innovation, yet they've been doing the same thing they always have, only this time with motion gaming.

XVision84
SMG2 didn't do anything drastically new to differentiate itself from its predecessors. It differentiated itself from them through unique and creative level design. There's nothing in SMG2 that was rehashed from any other game, besides certain assets from the first Galaxy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="timmy00"]Nintendo do get bashed for it though...

timmy00

Yeah, I know they do get bashed for it by a certain group of gamers, but there are many many people out there that claim they are Nintengods, and they're constantly being forgiven for relying on the same franchises by industry experts and gamers. Just look at how many people gave Nintendo a 10/10 rating in this thread, it's ridiculous. What have they done that revolutionized gaming this gen? Motion gaming doesn't count, that was a clear move forward and even companies such as Sony made step forward in that department. Besides, it's not like motion gaming even had a positive lasting effect on the games.

On this forum sure, there's a select few people but plenty of people in and outside of this forum dislike what nintendo did this gen. (console wise)

Their games get good scores simply because they are good. It's the same for uncharted, Halo, gears, god of war, etc. Not everything needs to push gaming forward. Personally I think there's a few games on the Wii that push genres forward.

and yes Motion controls do count. I don't see why it would not. It's most likely why we're seeing things like the Move and Kinect.

No, every generation Sony and Microsoft at least provide new experiences. Uncharted and Gears are the sort of games you wouldn't normally find last gen. There are loads of cinematic moments, and let's not forget the multiplayer. While Nintendo has been stuck with Gamecube almost non-existed multiplayer, Sony and Microsoft have taken big steps forward. Multiplayer went from something that didn't matter last gen to a defining part of games this gen. None of that was due to Nintendo, all they're doing now is playing catch up with their Wii U online capabilities.

Motion controls have also been controversial, all we see out of motion controls are casual run-of-the-mill cash grabbing games. Motion control was forced with the Wii and many gamers hated it and preferred the traditional controller-in-your-hands. Even so, I'd like to see how Nintendo has revolutionized gaming software wise, how they've developed games and experiences that can't already be had on their past platforms (or other current gen platforms).

Look at games like Journey, The Last Guardian, The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed III, Dark Souls, Watch Dogs, Halo 4 and GTA V. Then look at the games on PS2/Xbox, there are many many many things done in those games that completely blow away everything we've seen this gen not to mention last gen. Now look at the Wii and Game Cube, the only thing I see that's now is motion gaming. The games look the same, Mario certainly hasn't changed, they follow the exact same formula they always have. They're pretty much stagnant at this point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

meetroid8

SMG2 didn't do anything drastically new to differentiate itself from its predecessors. It differentiated itself from them through unique and creative level design. There's nothing in SMG2 that was rehashed from any other game, besides certain assets from the first Galaxy.

Well yes, like I said, SMG 2 is a quality game. The only problem is they're following the same formula for mario that we've seen for years and years. At some point Nintendo has to stop relying on their past games.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts
They make great consoles that provide tons of entertainment to THEIR FANS so I guess 8/10. I know some people personally don't prefer Nintendo products but don't come in here to skew their rating.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
7/10
inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

7/10FlamesOfGrey
this, they make good games, but seem to hate 3rd party support and are thus far afraid of decent online functionality in their consles. I am very pleased with the current turn of events regarding the 3DS though

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

No, but it gets to a point where the lack of innovation becomes a gaping problem.

that sure as hell wasn't a problem for galaxy 2.

There's a reason why is almost unanimously regarded as the best platformer this generation

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

9/10

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
All time? a 9: Fantastic company, fantastic games, fantastic ideas This gen? a 6: Wii was really a *****. DS was pretty good, but still a handheld :P
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#116 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

so your telling me sony or ms inovates? i dont see where your getting at

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

[QUOTE="Boddicker"]

[QUOTE="layton2012"] So you've never even gave the wii a chance, thats a pretty pathetic way to judge something, I am not a big fan of the 360, but I have played it and I'm just not a big fan of what the system offers. But at least I gave it a chance.layton2012

lol

I forgot to mention that my mom never bought any games for it. Does it have Wii Sports on the hard drive? Does it even have a hard drive?

it depends how new the wii is, if it is a newer wii, it didn't come with any games, why would she buy a wii with no games, your story sounds fake, even the dumbest consumers would buy a wii with at least a single game.

She bought it for my little nephew to play while he was over. I forgot she did buy a game. Some sort of deer hunting game. Not interested.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#118 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

All time 10/10. You can't get farther than Nintendo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"] Quality isn't determined solely by innovation. Mario1331

Of course they do, look at all of the great new IP's on the platforms, and online became a massive thing this generation all thanks to the HD twins. Gaming is being changed and pushed forward by PS3/360 and the games coming out for it while Nintendo remains stagnant. That's my point. All I'm saying is Nintendo games aren't doing anything new, they're not taking their franchises anywhere that they haven't gone before. They need new franchises, new IP's.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Shame Atlus thread didn't even manage 1 full page.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#121 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'll give Nintendo an 8/10

They haven't abused the DLC system that much, what you get from the store is what you will have 2-10 years from now.

Complete Content on the Disc and non left out or will eventually be gone when the Servers go down.

It's missing 2 scores because of their Online service for the Wii and DS. Poor.

but the Libraries are good.

Shame Atlus thread didn't even manage 1 full page.Swift_Boss_A

they would have gotten a 9/10 from me if I bothered to even post on the thread. Atlus has published a lot of good games as of late, The Most Recent One in my library is King of Fighters XIII, Best Fighter out there IMO.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#122 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

Of course they do, look at all of the great new IP's on the platforms, and online became a massive thing this generation all thanks to the HD twins. Gaming is being changed and pushed forward by PS3/360 and the games coming out for it while Nintendo remains stagnant. That's my point. All I'm saying is Nintendo games aren't doing anything new, they're not taking their franchises anywhere that they haven't gone before. They need new franchises, new IP's.

but here's the thing. These "new" IPs are generally less innovative than a new installment in one of Nintendo's 20+ year old franchises.

is Metroid M anything like the primes or the 2D games?

is Skyward Sword like the other 3d Zeldas?

are the galaxy games like sunshine which is quite a bit different than Mario 64 which greatly differs from the 2D games

what about Kid Icarus?

even things like Kirby's Epic yarn don't share any resemblence to past kirby games. They just decided to make a new game and slap kirby on it.

awakeningland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 awakeningland
Member since 2012 • 104 Posts
I'm changing mine to 9/10, they've done so much for the industry but I feel that at the moment as they're between platforms the best is coming soon.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#124 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I'm changing mine to 9/10, they've done so much for the industry but I feel that at the moment as they're between platforms the best is coming soon.awakeningland

Good attempt dude, but you failed.

awakeningland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 awakeningland

[QUOTE="awakeningland"]I'm changing mine to 9/10, they've done so much for the industry but I feel that at the moment as they're between platforms the best is coming soon.super600

Failed?
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#126 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="awakeningland"]I'm changing mine to 9/10, they've done so much for the industry but I feel that at the moment as they're between platforms the best is coming soon.awakeningland

Failed?

I highhly doubt you're chemical viking

awakeningland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 awakeningland

[QUOTE="awakeningland"][QUOTE="super600"]

super600

Failed?

I highhly doubt you're chemical viking

I should have expected this. It is me, you've every reason to doubt it.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

6/10

A decade ago I would have given them a much higher score.

Also that EA score seems way to harsh imo, they give us a ton of awesome games.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Eddie-Vedder

butt-hurt ME fans.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

Swift_Boss_A

butt-hurt ME fans.

ME is garbage imo. All 3 of them are overrated as f***.

Still EA provides lots of entertainment.

caughtjoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#131 caughtjoo
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
9/10
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#132 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

10/10 - They make many mistakes but they're the one of the best in the industry so anything other than a 10 just isn't right in my book.

Also I can't believe I missed Atlus. I would have given them a 10/10 too :P

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

They're my favorite, but they sure aren't perfect. I'm more of a retro gamer anyway and they make me very happy in that department. With the Wii though, the online was terrible, and I was sad to have missed out on so many 3rd party games. 8/10

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#134 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

8/10. Generally, they're a down-to-earth company in the sense that you know what to expect from them. They also make highly trustworthy hardware and software. They're not really my cup of tea anymore in terms of the games they offer, but I still respect them.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#135 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

making new ips and being innovate is very different though. making new ips(only really sony does) just mean making new ips. half of them are average anyways.

just because a company makes a game with a different character in setting doesnt make them innovative

awakeningland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 awakeningland

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

Mario1331

making new ips and being innovate is very different though. making new ips(only really sony does) just mean making new ips. half of them are average anyways.

just because a company makes a game with a different character in setting doesnt make them innovative

Yep. It's about the concept not the characters, which is why Nintendo is the only one doing any true innovation recently.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

10/10 for Nintendo. So versitile and interesting and they pump out a lot of different games.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

If counting all the things they've done and all the great games they've made a 10 wouldn't be enough. Very few companies (if any) have contributed to the industry the way Nintendo has.

If judging them at the moment I'd say 8.5

They're doing great, but they definitely have room for improvement on some fronts.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
9/10 90% of gaming is spent on their platforms and gaming for me would get boring without them, playing rehashed shooters on my 360 or PC gaming.