"The day ____________ is the day I quit gaming." (Poll)

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

I've been a spectator and infrequent poster on System Wars for about a year now, and in that time I've observed a few forumites who find this most pivotal era in gaming to hold quite a few potential threats among its many promises. As such, I've seen uttered, on occasion, one or two (or three) rather strong statements that if certain continuing trends or sudden surprises were to hit the industry as a whole, they would forsake the gaming world completely and permanently.

So I made this little poll to see which (if any) of these nightmare scenarios would drive the most gamers away. I'm very curious to see what selection comes out on top, so without further ado, let the bridge-burning begin!

shahchip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 shahchip
Member since 2007 • 1282 Posts
motiion control or die whichever comes first. the reason = i want to be able to move freely and not sit and make sure my hands are in the right position or if im swining something right
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
The day online multiplayer becomes the standard and great, compelling singleplayer experiences filled with expression and emotional/sensual value are regarded as a thing of the past.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
...developers stop offering quality singleplayer experiences like those in Mass Effect and Dead Rising...
ovechkin08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ovechkin08
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

Microsoft buys Sony's gaming division.

RacoonusDoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 RacoonusDoodus
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts
answers 1, 2, and 4. I voted 4 though.
excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 excelR83
Member since 2003 • 2932 Posts

Other: Any monopoly or might-as-well-be-a-monopoly in the gaming biz. A situation like that would completely kill competition.

Other: The day that companies can't fund "big budget" games with great production values and cashing in on shovelware becomes the industry instead of the plague that's eating it.

TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
The day Microsoft or Bethesda aquire the rights to the Warcraft series is the day I quit gaming.
creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

motiion control or die whichever comes first. the reason = i want to be able to move freely and not sit and make sure my hands are in the right position or if im swining something rightshahchip

Agreed (although I voted for the multiplayer scenario). I don't have a problem with waggle existing, or even being OPTIONAL in most games, but there'd be no practical reason for devs to force it on us.

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts
that id software goes out of business
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Monopoly.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
When all RPGs are played like oblivion, I will quit gaming.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
the day i get married?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
When all RPGs are played like oblivion, I will quit gaming.xsubtownerx

I think "when games like Oblivion become the new 'role-playing' standard" is much scarier.
Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
I want to start collecting quotes from all the people who say they'll quit gaming if motion controls become the standard. I'd love to see them backpeddle when they find out Sony, Microsoft and of course Nintendo have some kind of variation of Motion-sensing in their next systems (and I'd put money on it that this is what will happen). The funniest part is that not only will these people not quit gaming but they'll be arguing about how their favorite companies motion sensing is the best. Oh and btw, you guys do realize that Technology improves right? The Wii was the first system to based around motion controls and yes it is rough around the edges but guess what? The first 3D games were rough around the edges and mostly unplayable nowadays. Yet, imagine if those games didn't exist? Those were the games that set the rule, and paved the way for all the games we play today. Similarly, like 10 years from now when Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are doing motion sensing at a much higher level then the Wii is doing it today and we are enjoying awesome games made more immersive because of these controls it will have been the Wii that paved the way.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

the death pc gaming will be the day I quit gaming! I am not happy console garbage is coming to pc. I really miss the golden age of pc gaming. I really can not play shallow console games.

I miss all the great tittles such as

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7o_2Wvx3Hc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMhQxW_WQwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_YLap5qHvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMOcv6NUXcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lceL0_JLZe8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2IRgVR5jOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8DBvVioW0

It's too bad alot peoplewillneverget to play these games.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
The day developers stop striving to make true art is the day I quit gaming.
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts
Sony gets another monopoly
stepat201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stepat201
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts
When Valve explodes.
sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

The day online multiplayer becomes the standard and great, compelling singleplayer experiences filled with expression and emotional/sensual value are regarded as a thing of the past.Saturos3091

^This

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

Motion controllers coming standard....

I don't see microsoft or sony risking there livelyhoods by sending there controls down a path where there game controllers are primary like nintendos, those two will more then likely have hybirds.

coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts
there wont be a time where i just go cold turkey, i just simply will do other things than video games just because i want too.
TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

Now I'd like to ask, what is so bad about Motion Control being a standard?

Is it bad to imagine a game with 1:1 motion control where you put things on your hands and feet and have to do all the running, fighting, shooting etc. yourself?

For the lazy gamer? Yes, bad.

For the rest of us? Sounds excellent!

JIT93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JIT93
Member since 2007 • 5590 Posts

When Multiplayer is TEH SEXAYY, and when no one plays single player :cry:

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

The day.....

ANY ONE COMPANY monopolizes gaming

Motion Control becomes standard.

gaming goes only casual

I die

I go broke and have to sell my game equipment

I lose a wife/girlfriend/partner to gaming

.....is the day I quit gaming.

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

Is it bad to imagine a game with 1:1 motion control where you put things on your hands and feet and have to do all the running, fighting, shooting etc. yourself?

TenP

Yes but I can already imagine all the class act lawsuits cause parents children ran head first into a wall an broke there face :D

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 excelR83

I want to start collecting quotes from all the people who say they'll quit gaming if motion controls become the standard. I'd love to see them backpeddle when they find out Sony, Microsoft and of course Nintendo have some kind of variation of Motion-sensing in their next systems (and I'd put money on it that this is what will happen). The funniest part is that not only will these people not quit gaming but they'll be arguing about how their favorite companies motion sensing is the best. Oh and btw, you guys do realize that Technology improves right? The Wii was the first system to based around motion controls and yes it is rough around the edges but guess what? The first 3D games were rough around the edges and mostly unplayable nowadays. Yet, imagine if those games didn't exist? Those were the games that set the rule, and paved the way for all the games we play today. Similarly, like 10 years from now when Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are doing motion sensing at a much higher level then the Wii is doing it today and we are enjoying awesome games made more immersive because of these controls it will have been the Wii that paved the way.Zerostatic0

They may include a motion-sensing component, but the day all FPS are played by pointing my imaginary gun at the screen and shooting online foes like ducks in Duck Hunt is the day there is peace in Palestine.

Motion controls could be good, they could even replace the mouse if the technology and hardware were really solid, but the way it stands right now with the Wii as the spokesmodel, count me the eff out.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 excelR83

TenP

Uh sounds ridiculous? Are you going to simulate sunlight too? How about you call some buddies and go the eff to the park and throw an actual football around in the actual sun? :P If you're going to go to all the effort of playing a game, breaking a sweat, doing physical activity, why not actually do it?

If games are too close to real life, wtf is the point? I play primarily for escapism.

Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts

[QUOTE="Zerostatic0"]I want to start collecting quotes from all the people who say they'll quit gaming if motion controls become the standard. I'd love to see them backpeddle when they find out Sony, Microsoft and of course Nintendo have some kind of variation of Motion-sensing in their next systems (and I'd put money on it that this is what will happen). The funniest part is that not only will these people not quit gaming but they'll be arguing about how their favorite companies motion sensing is the best. Oh and btw, you guys do realize that Technology improves right? The Wii was the first system to based around motion controls and yes it is rough around the edges but guess what? The first 3D games were rough around the edges and mostly unplayable nowadays. Yet, imagine if those games didn't exist? Those were the games that set the rule, and paved the way for all the games we play today. Similarly, like 10 years from now when Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are doing motion sensing at a much higher level then the Wii is doing it today and we are enjoying awesome games made more immersive because of these controls it will have been the Wii that paved the way.excelR83

They may include a motion-sensing component, but the day all FPS are played by pointing my imaginary gun at the screen and shooting online foes like ducks in Duck Hunt is the day there is peace in Palestine.

Motion controls could be good, they could even replace the mouse if the technology and hardware were really solid, but the way it stands right now with the Wii as the spokesmodel, count me the eff out.

Sure, whatever you say (I don't really believe you and btw I wish I could control my PS3 FPS's the way I can with my Wii FPS's, I'm playing the Darkness and Uncharted right now and it would be so much smoother and quicker if I could control it with a wii-mote the way I do in Medal of Honor Heroes 2 and Metroid Prime 3 on my Wii).
excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 excelR83

The day developers stop striving to make true art is the day I quit gaming.PBSnipes

The only truly creative games coming out right now (with the exception of maybe LBP and Spore) are small indie offerings that end up as XBLA or PSN downloads (fl0w, Geo Wars, Fat Princess, Pixeljunk, Everyday Shooter) that would never be made into big budget games because they aren't a safe enough bet.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 excelR83
[QUOTE="excelR83"]

[QUOTE="Zerostatic0"]I want to start collecting quotes from all the people who say they'll quit gaming if motion controls become the standard. I'd love to see them backpeddle when they find out Sony, Microsoft and of course Nintendo have some kind of variation of Motion-sensing in their next systems (and I'd put money on it that this is what will happen). The funniest part is that not only will these people not quit gaming but they'll be arguing about how their favorite companies motion sensing is the best. Oh and btw, you guys do realize that Technology improves right? The Wii was the first system to based around motion controls and yes it is rough around the edges but guess what? The first 3D games were rough around the edges and mostly unplayable nowadays. Yet, imagine if those games didn't exist? Those were the games that set the rule, and paved the way for all the games we play today. Similarly, like 10 years from now when Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are doing motion sensing at a much higher level then the Wii is doing it today and we are enjoying awesome games made more immersive because of these controls it will have been the Wii that paved the way.Zerostatic0

Sure, whatever you say (I don't really believe you and btw I wish I could control my PS3 FPS's the way I can with my Wii FPS's, I'm playing the Darkness and Uncharted right now and it would be so much smoother and quicker if I could control it with a wii-mote the way I do in Medal of Honor Heroes 2 and Metroid Prime 3 on my Wii).

Light gun games and that whole style of gameplay belong in the arcade. I will take dual analogs or a keyboard and mouse anyday.

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
Uh sounds ridiculous? Are you going to simulate sunlight too? How about you call some buddies and go the eff to the park and throw an actual football around in the actual sun? :P If you're going to go to all the effort of playing a game, breaking a sweat, doing physical activity, why not actually do it?

If games are too close to real life, wtf is the point? I play primarily for escapism.excelR83

Most times I DO actually do the activites, I don't play sports or music games. But I play sports and music with buddies. But... you can't kill people legally without your life being at serious risk while you can do it legally in a video game. :P

I just think it would be a lot of fun.:)

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]The day developers stop striving to make true art is the day I quit gaming.excelR83

The only truly creative games coming out right now (with the exception of maybe LBP and Spore) are small indie offerings that end up as XBLA or PSN downloads (fl0w, Geo Wars, Fat Princess, Pixeljunk, Everyday Shooter) that would never be made into big budget games because they aren't a safe enough bet.

I'd disagree with that. In fact I wouldn't consider any of those "small indie offerings" you mentioned as art or even anything remotely close to art. And while I don't think any games are going to qualify as true art in the near future, I'd say STALKER: Clear Sky, Dragon Age: Origins, Spore, LBP and Too Human are all on the right track.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Light gun games and that whole style of gameplay belong in the arcade. I will take dual analogs or a keyboard and mouse anyday.

excelR83

While the Mouse and keyboard may be king, the Wiimote trumps the dual analog setup IMO. It's just so much more accurate. So I agree with ZeroStatic. I really would rather play the Darkness or any PS3 shooter with a pointer system if I could.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 excelR83
[QUOTE="excelR83"]

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]The day developers stop striving to make true art is the day I quit gaming.PBSnipes

I'd disagree with that. In fact I wouldn't consider any of those "small indie offerings" you mentioned as art or even anything remotely close to art. And while I don't think any games are going to qualify as true art in the near future, I'd say STALKER: Clear Sky, Dragon Age: Origins, Spore, LBP and Too Human are all on the right track.

:lol: Sorry, did you just say Too Human? I guess we disagree on what qualifies as art, or even truly creative. The only games I would consider "art" are the Ico games, and possibly LittleBigPlanet because of the amount of creativity necessary for the game to thrive.

Stalker is cool, but it's still a hum-drum shooter at it's core, it's not creative as in creating a whole new genre, or really revolutionizing the way you play FPS.

Too Human? Please bro. What is artistic about it? What is even creative? The only thing that is even different from the rest of the similar games out there is a mish-mash of cyberpunk and Norse mythology. I played the demo, the cutscenes were cheesy, gameplay was imprecise, the gear element has been done to death in 20 games before it... I admit Too Human sounds incredible on paper, but from all the info I have managed to gather including a thankfully brief encounter with the demo, it doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as the rest of them. It wasn't as awful as the original trailers made it look, but it still had more in common with Dynasty Warriors than Diablo.

The point I was trying to make is that no company would fund a game like Everyday Shooter (the way you create the music in the background truly is revolutionary) if it was a multimillion dollar Hollywood project. That kind of concept would be scrapped. Same with Pixeljunk Eden, flOw, PAIN... budget constraints keep Hollywood projects from going out of their comfort zone. Small budget projects can take some chances and try and forge a new genre or do something really different.

There are exceptions, like Portal, LittleBigPlanet, Spore... but these are exceptions to the rule. Look at the amount of "4s" we've had in recent memory: Grand Theft Auto FOUR, Metal Gear Solid FOUR, Soulcalibur FOUR, Call of Duty FOUR... go with the sure shot and make money.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 excelR83
[QUOTE="excelR83"]Uh sounds ridiculous? Are you going to simulate sunlight too? How about you call some buddies and go the eff to the park and throw an actual football around in the actual sun? :P If you're going to go to all the effort of playing a game, breaking a sweat, doing physical activity, why not actually do it?

If games are too close to real life, wtf is the point? I play primarily for escapism.TenP

Most times I DO actually do the activites, I don't play sports or music games. But I play sports and music with buddies. But... you can't kill people legally without your life being at serious risk while you can do it legally in a video game. :P

I just think it would be a lot of fun.:)

Oh of course man, I am not saying it's a bad idea, just that the example you presented of all the activity of an actual sport without the actual sport seemed absurd. Shooters, racers, fighting games... they could definitely be pretty cool. Part of the attraction for a lot of people though, is the escapism. People who are not physically fit and capable can hop on a video game, master it, and kick the crap out of a guy 10 times their size. Could be a good idea as an alternative, but I like my analog/KBM control schemes.

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts
the day all game have motion controls standard, i'll go back to pc gaming and never look back.
0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
I will be a gamer as long as my body/mind allows it, so basically, till I die.

As far as CONSOLE gaming goes, The day MS manages to monopolize gaming (which is clearly their goal), is the day I stop playing console games. (i'm lying, but I don't think I'd like it)
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts
The day I get laid. :|
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#41 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I die, motion control is close behind

I really don't like them
excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 excelR83

The day I get laid. :|Jakendo

ROFL

Funniest thing about it is there is a 50/50 shot you're serious; this is system wars.

Konxumer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Konxumer
Member since 2005 • 711 Posts
The day I die. Even through the toughest times, I will be gaming. I've done it my entire life thus far and I don't see that ending anytime soon. Give me doomsday scenario of all consoles with crappy motion controls and you'll find me on my PC. I'm really awaiting the day VR is possible and I think by that point I'll be on my death bed. That will be the day I stop gaming.
Poster_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Poster_11
Member since 2003 • 438 Posts
When they make realistic virtual sex *that being also when the human race dies off as well. lawl.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

You willbe playing pc games with your mind soon enough

Krazy_duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Krazy_duck
Member since 2006 • 2301 Posts
The day Miyamoto rapes me and kills my wife, I will quit gaming
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jakendo

The day Miyamoto rapes me and kills my wife, I will quit gamingKrazy_duck

I think he would rather rape your wife and then kill you :?

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
die.
Avatar image for alwayspureblood
alwayspureblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 alwayspureblood
Member since 2008 • 872 Posts
The day games stop being developed?
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jakendo

The day Miyamoto rapes me and kills my wife, I will quit gamingKrazy_duck

Thanks to you, I keep getting mental pictures of Miyamoto rape scenes. Like he comes out of nowhere dressed up as Mario and says something like "I'm going to go down your warp pipe." I'm going to have nightmares thanks to you.