PSP-3000 or DSi, who the better one?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

I have a PSP 3000, the screen is beautiful, and the thing is a must have now on trips.

Its a superior machine to the DSi in features and content.

As for games, thats your call.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

"Oh boy, now my favorite artist sounds like a chipmunk. How very exciting."

Pitch and speed are useless gimmicks,

The PSP was, and is the best mp3 player out of the two handhelds.

Sound Quality: Tie

Formats: PSP

Speakers: PSP

Gimmicks: DS

Also, I wonder, does the actual hardware of the two systems come into play? I'm willing to bet the PSP is built for better sound quality to its core.

treedoor

If only that was the only thing the DSi allowed you to do with your music. On top of that the DSi's speakers are very high quality. The PSP's speakers have always been meh.

What else can you do? Anything worthwhile?

Anything to confirm that DSi's speakers are better than PSP's? I'm having trouble believing it. PSP > DSL speakers. Did DSi update its speakers?

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

Itunes has standard AAC format, and it has a tool to convert your music into AAC. Anyone who uses itunes (millions of people) can put all that music straight onto the DSi.

treedoor

You can also put AAC onto your PSP. It supports AAC, as well as WMA and maybe more.

The PSP is obviously going to be the better mp3 player in the end.

AAC is higher quality with lower disk space necessary, so chances are I'd use that anyways.

The Nintendo DSi will also have a program that lets you add sounds to your music, as well as disorient it, and change it up

AND you'll be able to record your own stuff with the mic, and play it back and remix that however you want.

The DSi is clearly a better music player.

Cool. Good thing the PSP can play AAC. But you can't say that the fact that the PSP can play the most widely used music format isn't something that PSP holds over DSi.

Gimmick.

Gimmick.

Music remixer? Yes, the PSP doesn't have any music mixing gimmicks.

Player? PSP. It can play what the DS can and more, therefore its a better player. The gimmiks you listed don't have anything to do with the DSi's ability to play music.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Ds lite>>>>>> both

btw, if you want an mp3 player, buy an mp3 player! ipod nano>>> both

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Redonkulous_D
Member since 2008 • 1018 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

You can also put AAC onto your PSP. It supports AAC, as well as WMA and maybe more.

hakanakumono

AAC is higher quality with lower disk space necessary, so chances are I'd use that anyways.

The Nintendo DSi will also have a program that lets you add sounds to your music, as well as disorient it, and change it up

AND you'll be able to record your own stuff with the mic, and play it back and remix that however you want.

Cool. Good thing the PSP can play AAC. But you can't say that the fact that the PSP can play the most widely used music format isn't something that PSP holds over DSi.

Gimmick.

Gimmick.

Player? PSP. It can play what the DS can and more, therefore its a better player. The gimmiks you listed don't have anything to do with the DSi's ability to play music.

Yes, but all of my music is in AAC format except for one song. That one song sounds like junk compared the the ones in AAC. I don't see where the problem is where a device forces you to improve the quality of your music and all it takes is a simple drag in to itunes>edit tab> select all>convert to aac then in a matter of seconds all of your music will be in aac format in all its glory. The DSi's speakers are pretty much on-par with the PSP, but the speakers don't really matter when you're using earbuds anyways. So given the fact that the DSi's and PSP' music players are pretty much on-par with each other at their roots, doesn't it make the DSi better since it goes beyond "plug in your earbuds and hit the play button"? You'd think that how good a music player is would be influenced by how much you enjoy it...

taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts
Seriously speaking, if audio quality is a such a big point, you would have bought a dedicated music player with a good pair of headphones. All these arguing just for the sake of arguing is pretty pathetic.
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts
Seriously speaking, if audio quality is a such a big point, you would have bought a dedicated music player with a good pair of headphones. All these arguing just for the sake of arguing is pretty pathetic.taker42
You'd be surprised, but I agree with you. I find it pathetic that this thread has turned into an audio quality debate.
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

Gimmick.

Gimmick.

Well, I'm not sure if I see the problem with being limited to playing higher quality music that takes up less space than MP3s, but w/e I guess. Considering there's so many people in the world using itunes AAC is already widely used even if people don't realize it.

Meh, I guess if you want just a music player then that's fine. Don't really see the problem with having a music player that also allows you to remix your songs right on the device.

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Redonkulous_D

[QUOTE="taker42"]Seriously speaking, if audio quality is a such a big point, you would have bought a dedicated music player with a good pair of headphones. All these arguing just for the sake of arguing is pretty pathetic.lebanese_boy
You'd be surprised, but I agree with you. I find it pathetic that this thread has turned into an audio quality debate.

That's because that's all the PSP has against the DSi. The DS's graphics are getting better, making the PSP's graphics less important. The The DS has a better library of games. The PSP'svideo player only plays at 320x240 compared to the PSP's 480x272 so it doesn't look very goodand is nothing to brag about.I don't even use it anymore.The only thing that the PSP has left ro compare with the DSiis the music player.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

Redonkulous_D

Gimmick.

Gimmick.

Yes, but all of my music is in AAC format except for one song. That one song sounds like junk compared the the ones in AAC. I don't see where the problem is where a device forces you to improve the quality of your music and all it takes is a simple drag in to itunes>edit tab> select all>convert to aac then in a matter of seconds all of your music will be in aac format in all its glory. The DSi's speakers are pretty much on-par with the PSP, but the speakers don't really matter when you're using earbuds anyways. So given the fact that the DSi's and PSP' music players are pretty much on-par with each other at their roots, doesn't it make the DSi better since it goes beyond "plug in your earbuds and hit the play button"? You'd think that how good a music player is would be influenced by how much you enjoy it...

Cool for you. But it doesn't change the fact that mp3 is the most widely used music file format. The PSP's versatility is a plus, no matter how you try to spin it.

Converting mp3 files to AAC isn't going to increase the quality just like converting from wav to mp3 doesn't increase the quality. Just like when you resize a small picture to a larger size the pixels just get bigger.

Are the DSi's speakers the same as the DSL?

Good players are better at playing music that is good. How good a music player is is based on how good it is at playing the music you enjoy. Everything else are extraneous perks.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

treedoor

Gimmick.

Gimmick.

Well, I'm not sure if I see the problem with being limited to playing higher quality music that takes up less space than MP3s, but w/e I guess. Considering there's so many people in the world using itunes AAC is already widely used even if people don't realize it.

Meh, I guess if you want just a music player then that's fine. Don't really see the problem with having a music player that also allows you to remix your songs right on the device.

I hate to break it to you, but illegal downloading and pirating has taken over the music industry.

There's no problem with the music player that allows you to remix songs on the device. But really, the remixing won't be anything worthwhile. It's similar to gameboy camera in function. It's just stuff to mess around with, no real substance. But its certainly not a negative.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="taker42"]Seriously speaking, if audio quality is a such a big point, you would have bought a dedicated music player with a good pair of headphones. All these arguing just for the sake of arguing is pretty pathetic.Redonkulous_D

That's because that's all the PSP has against the DSi. The DS's graphics are getting better, making the PSP's graphics less important. The The DS has a better library of games. The PSP'svideo player only plays at 320x240 compared to the PSP's 480x272 so it doesn't look very goodand is nothing to brag about.I don't even use it anymore.The only thing that the PSP has left ro compare with the DSiis the music player.

The DSi still isn't going to be anywhere near PSP's graphics, sorry. And if they release DSi only games, way to alienate those who just own DSLs and DS originals.

You're judging the PSP's movie playing functions when the DSi has none? By that logic, putting movies on your ipod is stupid as well. :roll: Sorry, the PSP's movie player is a plus.

The DS is a good system. But the PSP is much better and will always be better in terms of multimedia functions and graphics.

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Redonkulous_D

[QUOTE="Redonkulous_D"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Gimmick.

Gimmick.

hakanakumono

Cool for you. But it doesn't change the fact that mp3 is the most widely used music file format. The PSP's versatility is a plus, no matter how you try to spin it.

Converting mp3 files to AAC isn't going to increase the quality just like converting from wav to mp3 doesn't increase the quality. Just like when you resize a small picture to a larger size the pixels just get bigger.

Are the DSi's speakers the same as the DSL?

Good players are better at playing music that is good. How good a music player is is based on how good it is at playing the music you enjoy. Everything else are extraneous perks.

No, Nintendo upgraded them. Very crisp sound from what I've heard.

Hmm. This is argument is deadlocked. There's no point in meparticipating this discussion any longer.I'm outta here.

twztid13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 twztid13
Member since 2009 • 2012 Posts
good idea b/c u lost
TheNextOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 TheNextOrder
Member since 2009 • 1510 Posts

PSP is a joke. The only reason the voting is even close is because of all the PS3 Cows hovering around

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

Portable gaming is for casuals.

SynisterGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SynisterGamer
Member since 2008 • 806 Posts

The DSi could go die in a fire for all I care, I just upgraded to a DS Lite, screw Nintendo for making DSi only games.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 hakanakumono

PSP is a joke. The only reason the voting is even close is because of all the PS3 Cows hovering around

TheNextOrder

How is it a joke?

It has great hardware and great games, although the library is small.

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
PSP everytime. The things you can do on it > DS
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
DSi since i already got psp 3k and waiting for my pre order and theres nothing really imrpessive about the psp its mainly used for its multimedia purposes and not for its games
Weslii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Weslii
Member since 2007 • 2309 Posts

I'd go with the PSP 3000 since it has more games that appeal to me and because you can hook it up to a tv.

vashkey
You see, that's why PSP has lost. "Because you can hook it up to a tv" It's a friggin handheld.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
What games do you like? Thats it really. Both systems are awesome, and I highly recommend both. The major difference is the PSP offers a portable home console experience, and the DS offers something unique. Both target their own strengths admirably. It just boils down to what you like to play, and what you want from a hand held. - Right now I am having a blast with GTA Chinatown Wars. Its easy to see why GS rated it so highly.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="vashkey"]

I'd go with the PSP 3000 since it has more games that appeal to me and because you can hook it up to a tv.

Weslii
You see, that's why PSP has lost. "Because you can hook it up to a tv" It's a friggin handheld.

Actually its quite good.... when you consider putting films or TV shows onto a memory stick. Mind you the capabilities of the system are far greater if you dabble with homebrew.......
TechGuru89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 TechGuru89
Member since 2009 • 478 Posts

Portable gaming is for casuals.

PSdual_wielder
Ding! :D
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

check out each portable's games library and then decides which one appeals more to you... Personally i got a PSP and would suggest it as a handheld... got a great games library some amazing upcoming titles and has so many other features..

PSP is a great package for a handheld..

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

TheNextOrder

fanboys never disappoint... they always fill SW with nonsense posts.. LOL

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#77 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts

Im thinking about buying a new portable system, Which one shouldI get? PSP-3000 or DSi

mrhuntin

How are we supposed to know?

I have both, and I use and like my DS Lite a lot more... hope that helps.

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Redonkulous_D

good idea b/c u losttwztid13

Actually, the argument justwasn't going anywhere.

And for additional proof that "gimmicks" do improve the music player, look at the new iPods. They're considered the best players on the market and the only thing that stands out between the iPods and other music players is the "gimmicks".

saytin666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 saytin666
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
this is so gay i have a dsi and its sucks crap! i mean really! GET THE FRIKIN PSP!!!!!!THE DSI SUCKS!
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#80 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

If you want a gaming handheld get a DS,

if you want a device that is a jack of all trades, but excells at nothing, get a PSP, more options.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

The DS leads in AAA, AA and A games.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#82 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

PSP is better by a long shot. In just about every way.

Brianfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#83 Brianfox1
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts

I would rock with the DSi

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

wait for a psp go

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Hexagon_777

PSP is better by a long shot. In just about every way.metalgear-solid

Like in AAA, AA and A games, right? Oh wait...:(

Tekkenloving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Tekkenloving
Member since 2008 • 1546 Posts
the ds is the best overall gaming system this gen but the psp as tekken on the go it's your call.
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#88 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

PSP is better by a long shot. In just about every way.

metalgear-solid
Except games :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Get a DS Lite. It's cheaper and has one of the best libraries this industry has ever seen.
hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 hy4k
Member since 2009 • 1790 Posts
DSi>PSP 2000 > PSP 3000 > DSLite >PSP 1000 > DS > dog poop > dick cheney > PSP go
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Hexagon_777

wait for a psp goimaps3fanboy

I second this. Wait for the PSP Go, then wait for a price drop and then buy one. Full digital distribution for a handheld console is brilliant. It's scandalous that no one thought of this sooner.

JIT93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 JIT93
Member since 2007 • 5590 Posts
Are the speakers that great in the DSi? I mean compared to the DSL. I have a DSL, the sound is nice, but too low. But in my old PSP 1000 the sound is nice and loud, which I like 8)
hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 hy4k
psp go is the worst system of all time and if you buy it you are not fit to call yourself a gamer
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

DS library >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PSP library.

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 hy4k

DS library >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PSP library.

TaMuK711
so? psp is still good
striking_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 striking_
Member since 2009 • 583 Posts

The best thing you could do is research both libaries and see what intreses you the most. Both the DS and PSP forums have great reccomendation threads that will give you a great look at what each system offers. I prefer the DSi because of the jrpg titles and Scribblenauts that will be coming out later this year.

ninjakiwi97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ninjakiwi97
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i dont have either and i sold my ds lite and i ant a psp 3000. should i get the dsi or psp.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#98 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
DSi. God, I've lost all hope in System Wars.
muwen1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 muwen1234
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="treedoor"]

Well, the DSi will have a higher quality music player, and an additional music program. The DSi will with touch screen. The DSi will have crap cameras (which are better than no cameras on the PSP), and the DS has the superior game library.

[/QUOTE i think psp is better,because it has internet,and more features like: skype your friends,remote play,RSS channal,radio,location free player,watch movies,more games,has mp3 player,you could read comics,larger screen,psp has a camera as an assesory,so, who on the world would not buy this for the same price as a dsi who has less features?
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

Well, the DSi will have a higher quality music player, and an additional music program. The DSi will with touch screen. The DSi will have crap cameras (which are better than no cameras on the PSP), and the DS has the superior game library.

[/QUOTE i think psp is better,because it has internet,and more features like: skype your friends,remote play,RSS channal,radio,location free player,watch movies,more games,has mp3 player,you could read comics,larger screen,psp has a camera as an assesory,so, who on the world would not buy this for the same price as a dsi who has less features?muwen1234

Please don't bump old threads.