PSP-3000 or DSi, who the better one?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrhuntin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 mrhuntin
Member since 2007 • 750 Posts

Im thinking about buying a new portable system, Which one shouldI get? PSP-3000 or DSi

bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts

It's all about the games. You decide. I'd go with the DSi.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

It depends on what library you're more interested in and what you have now.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Well, the DSi will have a higher quality music player, and an additional music program. The DSi will have internet with touch screen. The DSi will have crap cameras (which are better than no cameras on the PSP), and the DS has the superior game library.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Do you have neither?
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hakanakumono

Well, the DSi will have a higher quality music player, and an additional music program. The DSi will have internet with touch screen. The DSi will have crap cameras (which are better than no cameras on the PSP), and the DS has the superior game library.

treedoor

No, it can't even play mp3s.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

The DSi brought more to the DS family then the PSP 3000 did for the PSP family. But I honnestly think the PSP 3000 is better. As of now I'm not going to upgrade to the DSi, I'll stick to my DS Lite since nothing's worthy paying more for on the DSi. It's kinda the same with PSP 3000, I'll stick to my Slim.

Honnestly the third version of both handhelds is very weak. Tough I guess the DSi actually brings something new unlike the DS Lite. But nothing beats the improvement that the PSP Slim was.

In short: Get the PSP 3000, way more stuff to do then with the DSi and more possibilities as well.

lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lewisg1212
Member since 2005 • 1698 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

hakanakumono

the touch screen internet will blow ass and id rather have no camera than 2 useless ones. and the dsi is UGLY!
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's all about Traveling, Feature's, and Games. I travel a LOT and use the Music, Movies, and Games for my PSP. I do have a DS but it honestly doesn't get as much time on my trips, since it lacks other entertainment options.

I would prefer a home console though, over either of these, but I would get the PSP3000 over a DSi.

Hell, I would get a DSLite over a DSi, the DSi is overpriced and Nintendo is milking it.

Gaming, the DS has a slight edge though, for sure, but is that the ONLY factor?

Portable ENTERTAINMENT or Portable Gaming?

GoreObsessed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GoreObsessed
Member since 2004 • 8883 Posts
I would say go with the DSi.
Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Redonkulous_D
Member since 2008 • 1018 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

hakanakumono

AACs are higher quality and it's easy to convert mp3s.

P.S. the camera's not bad at all. The pictures are just smaller, not necessarily of lower quality(megapixels only determine the size of the image, notthe quality).

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HoldThePhone
Member since 2007 • 3364 Posts
Depends on your tastes, research the libraries and then decide. Also the DSi is kind of a silly upgrade, try to get a lite IMO. I only have a PSP3000 and I enjoy it a lot.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#13 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

I'd go with the PSP 3000 since it has more games that appeal to me and because you can hook it up to a tv.

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts

Whichever one has the games that interest you more.

lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lewisg1212

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

Redonkulous_D

P.S. the camera's not bad at all. The pictures are just smaller, not necessarily of lower quality(megapixels only determine the size of the image, notthe quality).

ohh AND ive used a DSI lite and this is something largely unrealised by people; bigger screen? great, but you thought the graphics were bad enough....bigger screen + same resolution = even WORSE picture. not cool go with a ds lite and a psp :)
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#16 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

and is 20 dollars less then a psp , 3000 which are said to have problems with the lcd screens lol,

have fun , if you get a psp you should just get the 2000 series one, i mean the 3000 one didnt do much different,

but the dsi is somthing totally different from ds lite because it has more ram on board, included web browser music and 2 cams as well as bigger screens ,

and ds ware support sd card slot ,, more functionallity then the ds lite or ds,

psp is only a slightly updated psp 2000 ,, if you want good games get a ds,

graphics arent much when ps2 is basically portable if you have the right equipment lol a portable dvd player that can be used in cars , is as cheap as a psp , and ps2 gots gta lcs vcs and what ever else it has psp hadm

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

If you are going to get a ds, get a lite unless you have no other mp3 player and really like music. The DSi is overpriced.

Also, a camera add on could be released for the psp, I think they already have one in Japan.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

Redonkulous_D

More people are going to have music stored in mp3 format and PSP supports multiple formats including mp3s AND AACs. No need to convert. And to be completely honest, I like my PSP as an MP3 player much more than my ipod. My ipod is just so much smaller that it trumps the PSP as my mp3 player.

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Redonkulous_D

It's all about Traveling, Feature's, and Games. I travel a LOT and use the Music, Movies, and Games for my PSP. I do have a DS but it honestly doesn't get as much time on my trips, since it lacks other entertainment options.

I would prefer a home console though, over either of these, but I would get the PSP3000 over a DSi.

Hell, I would get a DSLite over a DSi, the DSi is overpriced and Nintendo is milking it.

SolidTy

It's DSi vs PSP 3000.

The DSi is capable of "portable entertainment" too.

Yes, there are other factors than gaming, but since they're gaming consoles, it's the biggest one.

And as I said before, the DSi is also capable of more than gaming(sporting a superior music player and more features), so your argument is nonexistent

P.S. GTA CTW= Biggest win in handheld gaming history

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lebanese_boy

graphics arent much when ps2 is basically portable if you have the right equipment lol a portable dvd player that can be used in cars , is as cheap as a psp , and ps2 gots gta lcs vcs and what ever else it has psp hadm

mariokart64fan

Yeah right, good luck fitting all of that in your pocket. :roll:

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 treedoor

[QUOTE="Redonkulous_D"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

More people are going to have music stored in mp3 format and PSP supports multiple formats including mp3. No need to convert. And to be completely honest, I like my PSP as an MP3 player much more than my ipod. My ipod is just so much smaller that it trumps the PSP as my mp3 player.

(I thought AAC was only what CDs play?)

Itunes has standard AAC format, and it has a tool to convert your music into AAC. Anyone who uses itunes (millions of people) can put all that music straight onto the DSi.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lebanese_boy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Redonkulous_D

It's DSi vs PSP 3000.

Yes, there are other factors than gaming, but since they're gaming consoles, it's the biggest one.

And as I said before, the DSi is also capable of more than gaming(sporting a superior music player and more features), so your argument is nonexistent

Superior music player to what? To the crappy accessory that the DS had or to the R4?

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Redonkulous_D"]

treedoor

More people are going to have music stored in mp3 format and PSP supports multiple formats including mp3. No need to convert. And to be completely honest, I like my PSP as an MP3 player much more than my ipod. My ipod is just so much smaller that it trumps the PSP as my mp3 player.

Itunes has standard AAC format, and it has a tool to convert your music into AAC. Anyone who uses itunes (millions of people) can put all that music straight onto the DSi.

You can also put AAC onto your PSP. It supports AAC, as well as WMA and maybe more.

The PSP is obviously going to be the better mp3 player in the end.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#24 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

um i wouldnt suggest putting a non foldable unit n ur pocket either lol

who said pocket i said travel

in the car or hotel lol dsi is the best one or dslite but the psp is just to much of a hassle

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HoldThePhone

and is 20 dollars less then a psp , 3000 which are said to have problems with the lcd screens lol,

have fun , if you get a psp you should just get the 2000 series one, i mean the 3000 one didnt do much different,

but the dsi is somthing totally different from ds lite because it has more ram on board, included web browser music and 2 cams as well as bigger screens ,

and ds ware support sd card slot ,, more functionallity then the ds lite or ds,

psp is only a slightly updated psp 2000 ,, if you want good games get a ds,

mariokart64fan
PSP 3000's screen is improved, the scanlines were over exaggerated. id say it's worth the money if it's your first PSP
lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lewisg1212

in the car or hotel lol dsi is the best one or dslite but the psp is just to much of a hassle

mariokart64fan
name 2 good reasons why its a 'hassle'
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
If I were you I'd just get a DS Lite. Cheaper.
aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts
I'll stick with my good ole DS Lite. Since it's not a choice here, I'll pick the PSP 3000. DSi is a waste of money imo.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HoldThePhone

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

lewisg1212

why do you try to call out biased people? you're too good for that

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Redonkulous_D

[QUOTE="Redonkulous_D"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

lebanese_boy

It's DSi vs PSP 3000.

Superior music player to what? To the crappy accessory that the DS had or to the R4?

No, the PSPs! It has filters, pitch and speed alteration(speed alteration being a feature that I was disappointed to find missing from the PSPs music player), and more/better visualisers. Formats aside, the DSi' music player is way better.

P.S. longer battery life=yet another win for the DSi

bustword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bustword
Member since 2008 • 345 Posts

PSP 3000

lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lewisg1212

[QUOTE="lewisg1212"][QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

HoldThePhone

why do you try to call out biased people? you're too good for that

hmm lol i have a ds lite and a psp 3000 :) i probably play my ds lite more...but i prefer my psp if that makes any sense at all!
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lebanese_boy

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]

[QUOTE="Redonkulous_D"]

It's DSi vs PSP 3000.

Redonkulous_D

No, the PSPs! It has filters, pitch and speed alteration(speed alteration being a feature that I was disappointed to find missing from the PSPs music player), and more/better visualisers. Formats aside, the DSi' music player is way better.

Wow are you kidding me :lol: ? That's your superior music player? have fun with these useless crap my friend!
Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Redonkulous_D

[QUOTE="Redonkulous_D"]

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"] Superior music player to what? To the crappy accessory that the DS had or to the R4?

lebanese_boy

Wow are you kidding me :lol: ? That's your superior music player? have fun with these useless crap my friend!

1. I'm not getting a DSi

2. Features, although not specificallly needed, do improve the player overall

3. Since when is it a crime to have fun with music?

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lebanese_boy

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="Redonkulous_D"]

Redonkulous_D

1. I'm not getting a DSi

You call it a superior music player because of some cosmetic features, a superior music player would have more format support and better sound. And that, would be the PSP's.

PS: I'm also not getting the DSi, I've got a Lite and a PSP Slim.

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Redonkulous_D

[QUOTE="Redonkulous_D"]

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"] Wow are you kidding me :lol: ? That's your superior music player? have fun with these useless crap my friend!lebanese_boy

1. I'm not getting a DSi

You call it a superior music player because of some cosmetic features, a superior music player would have more format support and better sound. And that, would be the PSP's.

BUT, the DSi is capable of the same quality audio as the PSP (if not better). So the only thing the PSP has over the DSi is more formats, (which can be obtained in software updates), and the DSi makes up for that by offering new/more ways to experience your music.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lebanese_boy

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]

[QUOTE="Redonkulous_D"]

1. I'm not getting a DSi

Redonkulous_D

BUT, the DSi is capable of the same quality audio as the PSP (if not better). So the only thing the PSP has over the DSi is more formats, (which can be obtained in software updates), and the DSi makes up for that by offering new/more ways to experience your music.

WRONG, not only does the PSP have multiple Audio Modes (Jazz, Rock, etc....) but the speakers are of a better quality as well. PLUS, the PSP has an internet radio so more ways to enjoy music then with the DSi. I'm not trying to bash the DSi but you calling it a superior music player to the PSP is simply toubling.
Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Redonkulous_D

[QUOTE="Redonkulous_D"]

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"] You call it a superior music player because of some cosmetic features, a superior music player would have more format support and better sound. And that, would be the PSP's.

lebanese_boy

WRONG, not only does the PSP have multiple Audio Modes (Jazz, Rock, etc....) but the speakers are of a better quality as well. PLUS, the PSP has an internet radio so more ways to enjoy music then with the DSi. I'm not trying to bash the DSi but you calling it a superior music player to the PSP is simply toubling.

But equalizers hardly do anything and predominantly waste battery life (something the PSP was never good with). Plus, internet radio is only one feature. The DSi still has more than that.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lebanese_boy

The DSi still has more than that.

Redonkulous_D

Please do elaborate.... BTW the PSP's battery life is fine and especially when you're just listening to music (about 7-8 hours)

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Redonkulous_D

[QUOTE="Redonkulous_D"]The DSi still has more than that.

lebanese_boy

Please do elaborate...

I already did... BTW, each product dl'd from the app store adds a new non-gaming feature to the DSi. From what I've heard/seen, It's not just calculators and clocks. Some of the stuff might actually be useful.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hakanakumono

"Oh boy, now my favorite artist sounds like a chipmunk. How very exciting."

Pitch and speed are useless gimmicks,

The PSP was, and is the best mp3 player out of the two handhelds.

Sound Quality: Tie

Formats: PSP

Speakers: PSP

Gimmicks: DS

Also, I wonder, does the actual hardware of the two systems come into play? I'm willing to bet the PSP is built for better sound quality to its core.

TechGuru89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TechGuru89
Member since 2009 • 478 Posts
It really comes down to the games...whatever games you like, is what system you choose. I am in love with the DSI! If nintendo would fix the online already.
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 treedoor

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

You can also put AAC onto your PSP. It supports AAC, as well as WMA and maybe more.

The PSP is obviously going to be the better mp3 player in the end.

AAC is higher quality with lower disk space necessary, so chances are I'd use that anyways.

The Nintendo DSi will also have a program that lets you add sounds to your music, as well as disorient it, and change it up

AND you'll be able to record your own stuff with the mic, and play it back and remix that however you want.

The DSi is clearly a better music player.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 treedoor

"Oh boy, now my favorite artist sounds like a chipmunk. How very exciting."

Pitch and speed are useless gimmicks,

The PSP was, and is the best mp3 player out of the two handhelds.

Sound Quality: Tie

Formats: PSP

Speakers: PSP

Gimmicks: DS

Also, I wonder, does the actual hardware of the two systems come into play? I'm willing to bet the PSP is built for better sound quality to its core.

hakanakumono

If only that was the only thing the DSi allowed you to do with your music. On top of that the DSi's speakers are very high quality. The PSP's speakers have always been meh.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

Dont buy both. Buy a DSL and a PSP2000 instead,

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

nitekids2004
Why the PSP 2000?
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

Cherokee_Jack

Why the PSP 2000?

There's a report that thePSP 3000 has LCD problems.

POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
PSP is a helluva system , if it had more decent games it would be a powerhouse, but the games just arent there
Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Redonkulous_D

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

nitekids2004

Why the PSP 2000?

Plus, you can't go wrong with longer battery life.

I have a Lite and 2000 too.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

nitekids2004

Why the PSP 2000?

If you buy one with a screen problem you can exchange it for a new one.