PSN+ is a FAIL

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Super_Toad_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Super_Toad_64
Member since 2010 • 216 Posts
It looks like sooner rather than later where going to have to pay to play our ps3 games online given the direction sony's heading in, given that demo's and exclusive content have been restricted to PSN+ with the added lure of free games once PSN+ gains enough subcribers expect the bombshell to drop that well all have to pay to play online only with PSN+ subcriptions. I know im going to get slated with comments like "didnt know you was a Sony exec" + "Teh crystal ball" etc but i think currently its clear to see Sony is looking at that big bundle of cash Microsoft is getting for their millions of xbox gold subscribers like a love sick puppy.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

True that Sony is looking to milk a little extra cash from PS3 owners, but if they play it right and keep what's already available free, I won't have an issue. I don't play games online much anyway, so if they do charge for it, I'm not fussed.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

Level 1 try harder. If Sony does charge to play online it wouldn't be until next generation. PSN Plus+ is a bonus for Sony to try and get more revenue while keeping the core gamers happy with free online play.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Made an account just for that huh? Sony's online play has always been free, that will not change in my opinion.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Hey Lvl.1 number 10234! Welcome to System Wars.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Any paid online gaming service is fail.
BELOW_MEE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BELOW_MEE
Member since 2010 • 136 Posts

"The current PSN features will remain free. We are still very committed to PSN as a free gaming service and are certainly not planning on reducing this service following the launch of PlayStation Plus."

Straight from the FAQ.

Try harder, and next time post with your real account.

Slashkice
He cant post from his second main account because he has been banned. :)
tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
Nice new account. Was it worth it? Its not gonna happen, at least not this generation. Its pretty obvious that you are trolling. Maybe youre jealous because you hoped Sony would make us pay for online play like Microsoft, and it havent happened?
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

How is PSN+ a fail? It sounds like a reasonable service with some cool perks, and at the time you don't have to pay for it to play online so until it is announced that you will, it is a non-issue.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Im not sure if people understand that the free service will always be free, its an optionif you want to go PSN+. go search around level 1 user

Super_Toad_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Super_Toad_64
Member since 2010 • 216 Posts

"The current PSN features will remain free. We are still very committed to PSN as a free gaming service and are certainly not planning on reducing this service following the launch of PlayStation Plus."

Straight from the FAQ.

Slashkice
yes because big companies are known for never going back on their words
zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 zbdyx
Member since 2007 • 2055 Posts
You made a new account just to say this? Why didn't you say it on your main account. The day I start complaining about PSN+ is the day they make it mandatory.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

Straight from the FAQ.

Super_Toad_64

Some do go back on their words, but not all. There's not reason to think that Sony will make their entire online not free.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

PSN won't be paid atleast this generation if not never. In Live MS take care of hosting all game servers in PSN they are hosted by developers or publishers and they got deal that there wont be subscriptions. If they change that they wuld need to renegotiente all the aggedments with all developers

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
[QUOTE="Super_Toad_64"][QUOTE="Slashkice"]

Straight from the FAQ.

We cant tell whether or not next generation we will pay for online or not. But im 100 per cent sure ps3's online play and everything thats free now, WILL remain free this generation.
pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

psn+ is NOT mandatory how the hell is it a fail

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

soo basically this year

PS3 is turning into Xbox

Xbox is turning into Wii

Wii is turning into SNES

huh

[serious mode]

no way Sony would make basic online pay-for service

[/serious mode]

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

Speculation, speculation and even more speculation. All I care is that if I turn my PS3 on right now I will enjoy FREE online gaming.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
[QUOTE="Super_Toad_64"]It looks like sooner rather than later where going to have to pay to play our ps3 games online given the direction sony's heading in, given that demo's and exclusive content have been restricted to PSN+ with the added lure of free games once PSN+ gains enough subcribers expect the bombshell to drop that well all have to pay to play online only with PSN+ subcriptions. I know im going to get slated with comments like "didnt know you was a Sony exec" + "Teh crystal ball" etc but i think currently its clear to see Sony is looking at that big bundle of cash Microsoft is getting for their millions of xbox gold subscribers like a love sick puppy.

i agree somewhat. I think Sony starts charging to play because people don't subscribe to this enough. Really what is compelling about this for me? LBP can be bought for under $30 in a store, I have the few PS1 games I want. The game trials mean nothing for me. See I am an adult, who has to work for a living. I barely keep up with gaming as it is, but loading trials I have a limited amount of time to access keeps me from playing what I already want to play and struggle to get to. Fact is, it's new, Sony has a lot of die hard fans, so it will earn them money at first. How many will renew subscriptions? I know MS is teh greedy, but as a former business man it is great business to include MP access in the Gold package. Morally scummy? Hell, maybe, but it is a compelling reason to subscribe. PS+ or whatever, lacks a definite hook.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Oh the usual level 1 thread, moving along.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

they wont/cant do that till next gen. psn+ is sonys last resort to get peple to pay. after psn+ fails they will make you pay to play online.

i was hoping sony would force ms to offer free xboxlive. but turns out with ms making a killing off gold members the greed in sony has forced them to charge. but they cant this gen because imo. psn isnt ready because almost any game that i own on both consoles and try to play them online. the lag in ps3 version is really clear

gubrushadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gubrushadow
Member since 2009 • 2735 Posts
oh indeed , its like believing whatever i want to !
Modern_Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Modern_Unit
Member since 2010 • 1511 Posts

When PSN+ fails they're going to cpoy+paste XBL model....

"Lulz how do you know PSN+ is going to fail, do you have a time machine!"

-Seeing how PS3 owners are reluctant to pay for online (especially how cows hate XBL in SW), Sony will get little money from this.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

meh, idc what people do with the money that they earn.

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts

it gives you discounts and free content. How is it a rip.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

Level 1 try harder. If Sony does charge to play online it wouldn't be until next generation. PSN Plus+ is a bonus for Sony to try and get more revenue while keeping the core gamers happy with free online play.

AncientDozer

It is, however, a dangerous slippery slope. If it's lukewarm reception, they can easily say "yeah. . it's just an option". If it takes off. . they may just look into expanding it or doing something not unlike Live.

I 100% believe Sony will be charging for online play next generation. Microsoft is not going to do a business model like Sony next generation because it forces people who want to try online or hardcore competitive players to buy XBL Gold. As much as Lemmings love to talk up cross game chat and party system, I doubt XBL Gold would have nearly as many subscribers if the core online was free. Sony is trying to make money but also get multi-console owners to choose PSN over Live. Since CGC isn't a part of PSN+ they will most likely release it for free to get multi console owners away from Live.

exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
Any paid online gaming service is fail.i5750at4Ghz
QFT.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

This is true. The only current gen system that has a paid gaming service is 360 (and pc, but pc has multiple options for gaming services, most of which are free). PS3's online gaming service is PSN... and it has been and shall remain free. PSN+ is a premium content subscription service.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50632 Posts

I don't know why I'm responding to this thread, but Sony has said a number of times that everything that is free now will always be free, including playing games you already paid for.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Sony will never be able to charge for their online service. The main attraction of PSN is that its free. I think they will get the message loud and clear that PS3 gamers arent willing to pay for online when nobody subscribes to PSN+

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

Buuuut it won't.

Alt fail.

/thread

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
so it's fail because you have a hunch they might charge to play online in the future
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Playing online for the PS3 is free for now. Reason I said for now because they also said rumble was last gen and they would support BC including PS2 BC. We just have to wait and see how this PSN+ service turns out.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

looks like another coward to scared to say stuff like this in your regular account :lol:

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 monson21502
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

[QUOTE="AncientDozer"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

It is, however, a dangerous slippery slope. If it's lukewarm reception, they can easily say "yeah. . it's just an option". If it takes off. . they may just look into expanding it or doing something not unlike Live.

I 100% believe Sony will be charging for online play next generation. Microsoft is not going to do a business model like Sony next generation because it forces people who want to try online or hardcore competitive players to buy XBL Gold. As much as Lemmings love to talk up cross game chat and party system, I doubt XBL Gold would have nearly as many subscribers if the core online was free. Sony is trying to make money but also get multi-console owners to choose PSN over Live. Since CGC isn't a part of PSN+ they will most likely release it for free to get multi console owners away from Live.

im a multi system owner and i own a few of the same games on both systems. if you play both there is no way you cant notice that online gaming on ps3 has alot more lag. im at the point where im not gonna buy anymore online games for ps3.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 monson21502
so it's fail because you have a hunch they might charge to play online in the futureBrainkiller05
if this fails like quore failed, then yes. psn will cost money next gen to play online. reason they wont charge to play this gen is they are not ready or dont wanna spend money to fix the lag. maybe they will make some money off PSN+ and fix the lag. i would pay for psn+ right now if it would fix lag
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

Wait...

I thought demos would be free to play even without PSN+?

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Wait...

I thought demos would be free to play even without PSN+?

amaneuvering
PSN+ might get them earlier now, just like Gold.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

This, especially when the basis for the online play is peer 2 peer. If MS or Sony wanted to dish out for high quality dedicated servers, complete with server lists and custom settings for every game I would understand either of them charging for online play. But, they don't and won't do that, so online play should be free, as we, the gamers, provide all the bandwidth to play them.

Nothing wrong with a content based subscription, as it doesn't withhold anything from the user base, only ads to what they already offer.

I won't subscribe, but I'll still be playing online all the time.

I predict next gen, MS will have to make its online play free if it wants to remain competitive, not the other way around.

antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts
It looks like sooner rather than later where going to have to pay to play our ps3 games online given the direction sony's heading in, given that demo's and exclusive content have been restricted to PSN+ with the added lure of free games once PSN+ gains enough subcribers expect the bombshell to drop that well all have to pay to play online only with PSN+ subcriptions. I know im going to get slated with comments like "didnt know you was a Sony exec" + "Teh crystal ball" etc but i think currently its clear to see Sony is looking at that big bundle of cash Microsoft is getting for their millions of xbox gold subscribers like a love sick puppy.Super_Toad_64
hello, projectnatalfan alt account. needed to make yet another thread of conspiracy regarding this issue?
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]so it's fail because you have a hunch they might charge to play online in the futuremonson21502
if this fails like quore failed, then yes. psn will cost money next gen to play online. reason they wont charge to play this gen is they are not ready or dont wanna spend money to fix the lag. maybe they will make some money off PSN+ and fix the lag. i would pay for psn+ right now if it would fix lag

But, Live has lag and costs money?

P2P gaming is often laggy, or more prone to lag, because most people don't have the bandwidth to support the amount of players in a game. That's why people always say "with proper netcode p2p is fine." Because if they can reduce the amount of data needed to be transmitted and received for each player to play, they bring the bandwidth requirement closer to what average users have available.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

How is PSN+ a fail? It sounds like a reasonable service with some cool perks, and at the time you don't have to pay for it to play online so until it is announced that you will, it is a non-issue.

DarkGamer007

Because maybe there's a slight possibility that you might have to pay to play online in the future.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I didn't know you were a Sony exec.....Oh, and I think your Crystal Ball is on da fritz.

Why consider it a fail when it hasn't even rolled out yet? I have no interest in it, but I might still try it out, if only to have an educated opinion about it.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Yea it wont fail at all...since its completely optional. Everything you get with PSN Free right now will stay exactly the same.

PSN + is just bonus stuff if you want to subscribe to it...which I will since I have no issue paying for that content at all. I can buy a few PS1 games that ive wanted and I traded my LBP long ago. I will def subscribe and if I dont like it down the road, I can cancel it and still play my games online!

This is completely different than Xbox live. Live you must have if you want to play online and download certain demos etc.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Made an account just for that huh? Sony's online play has always been free, that will not change in my opinion.Heil68
You made the 3 points I was about to say Heil! The only thing I'd add to the final one is "this gen". My guess is PSN will see basic charges next gen, but who knows!
hyper_trunkx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hyper_trunkx
Member since 2004 • 6719 Posts
its not effecting the free online service. i wouldnt call it a fail since it doesnt change anything about the current free psn. if u want psn+ for the extra stuff then go for it. so, in turn, it doesnt effect me. end topic.