PS5: No First Party Exclusives in 12 months!

• 59 results
KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12963 Posts

Thankfully, the dry spell is about to end. The last first party exclusive that Sony released on our PS5 (games not requiring a $600 hardware addon) was back on November 9th, 2022. God of War: Ragnarok. Fast forward a year later, and we are finally get a first party game, the 3rd game in the Spider-Man trilogy, Spider-Man 2 (received an 8). This game finally comes out this Friday. I am so looking forward to it!

What are your thoughts SW? Was Shawn Layden spot on when he said he wanted to make less AAA games for our PS5 due to the high cost? Do you feel that Sony is maybe moving in the wrong direction by releasing less games, and now focusing on Games as a Service with 10 of those games in the pipeline?

I do have some concern about the sustainability of the new direction Sony is going, and how that will impact the usefulness of our PS5. Even Helldivers 2 for PC and PS has been delayed. And then, when we look at 2024, and the cancellation of The Last of Us Part 2 Factions, no release year for Wolverine, I feel like the wind isn't pushing our sail any longer.

Feel free to chime in.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1252 Posts

Meanwhile at xbox!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

With over 5k games to play on PS5- SONY, current gen leader, is embarking on a tour that not only delivers an avalanche of world class gaming experiences, but also embraces the Live, Learn and Philosophy that this world desperately needs right now.

Thank you SONY.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44069 Posts

Eh, doesn't matter since as we all know every SW cow has a monster PC and are playing GOAT Starfield. ;o

lolol :P

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KvallyX

@Heil68 said:

Is embarking on a tour that not only delivers an avalanche of world class gaming experiences, but also embraces the Live, Learn and Philosophy that this world desperately needs right now.

I think I just came.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8076 Posts

@kvallyx said:

[...]

I do have some concern about the sustainability of the new direction Sony is going, and how that will impact the usefulness of our PS5.

[...]

i'm also very concerned.. PlayStation is doomed?..

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44069 Posts

@Heil68 said:

With over 5k games to play on PS5- SONY, current gen leader, is embarking on a tour that not only delivers an avalanche of world class gaming experiences, but also embraces the Live, Learn and Philosophy that this world desperately needs right now.

Thank you SONY.

Let the copium flow Heil. lol :P

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

I have no complaints with 2x S-Tier blockbusters in less than 12 months. Business wise, Spider-Man 2 is going to move a massive amount of software and hardware this holiday season. Consumer wise, it's apparently a phenomenal game and, this year has been a packed with RE4R, Diablo 4, SF6, MK1, Baldurs' Gate 3, FF16, Jedi Survivor, Dead Space, Honkai Star Rail etc.

Re: 2024 - We'll see a great mix of (console / ) exclusive single player and, multiplayer games from PlayStation Studios and, other partners so I'm not at all concerned; FF7 Rebirth, Helldivers 2, Death Stranding 2, Silent Hill 2 Remake, Wolverine, Stellar Blade, Concord, Foamstars, Rise of the Ronin, Convallaria etc. Top that all off with third party games and, it's going to be a great year for PS5 owners.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KvallyX

@SecretPolice said:
@Heil68 said:

Thank you SONY.

Let the copium flow Heil. lol :P

I think things will pick up for the PS5 in 2025. Seems 2023 and 2024 first party will be mostly MIA.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KvallyX

@Nonstop-Madness said:

move a massive amount of software and hardware this holiday season

That has nothing to do with only 1 first party exclusive in 12 months though :(

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1144 Posts

I don't buy consoles to play their first party exclusives, it's typically for third party games, or games I grew up with that are platform exclusive. Sony doesn't release a game for twelve months, there's still a bunch to play, both this and previous gen. :)

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#12 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@kvallyx: I blame extended development time for this. I'm sure that there are actually plenty of exclusives in the works, it's just that they're not in a stage where they can be properly showcased to the public yet. I bet we'll see a whole bunch of them line up at once around early-to-mid next year.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts
@kvallyx said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

move a massive amount of software and hardware this holiday season

That has nothing to do with only 1 first party exclusive in 12 months though :(

It shows that their first party exclusives are incredibly sought-after games and that releasing 1 / 2 S-Tier blockbusters in 12 months is enough to move the needle and sell out the consoles. Asking anyone for multiple AAA blockbusters every single year is just crazy considering there's really only a handful of publishers capable of doing it. (It's also not very great for the wallet. lol)

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KvallyX

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Asking anyone for multiple AAA blockbusters every single year is just crazy

I will ask for it! I am the gamer! But yes, it does impact the wallet..ouch!

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@saint-george said:

Meanwhile at xbox!

Trash no one wanted as Xbox is barely selling. Sales will matter to you guys again when MS makes Xbox 3rd party. 2027 baby!

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KvallyX

@Sagemode87 said:
@saint-george said:

Meanwhile at xbox!

Trash no one wanted as Xbox is barely selling. Sales will matter to you guys again when MS makes Xbox 3rd party. 2027 baby!

Wait, so Xbox has sold 20+ million and PS has sold 30+ million...and Xbox is barely selling? That doesn't bode well for PS then lol!

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Xbox studios output > Playstation studios out put this year.

But overall PS5 wins because FF16 exclusive and a bunch of Japanese games exclusively not on Xbox. Also PSVR2 (which I have my thoughts on).

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1252 Posts

@Sagemode87 said:
@saint-george said:

Meanwhile at xbox!

Translated 🐄😭😥😪😢

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KvallyX

@me2002 said:

Xbox studios output > Playstation studios out put this year.

But overall PS5 wins because FF16 exclusive and a bunch of Japanese games exclusively not on Xbox. Also PSVR2 (which I have my thoughts on).

FF16 also has trailed behind Starfield in sales for 2023.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

That because Sony studios are busy porting games to PC, where only 724 people are currently playing what is supposedly the greatest game ever made, The Last of Us Part 1. It's totally paying off.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KvallyX

@lamprey263 said:

That because Sony studios are busy porting games to PC, where only 724 people are currently playing what is supposedly the greatest game ever made, The Last of Us Part 1. It's totally paying off.

Sony is done.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Apparently exclusives are bad. So, good job Sony.

/s

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lamprey263

They don't have to, everybody knows PS5 "it just feeeeels next gen".

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#24 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69492 Posts
@lamprey263 said:

They don't have to, everybody knows PS5 "it just feeeeels next gen".

Like when this was shown but has yet to transpire

Loading Video...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lamprey263

@Pedro: I'm just channeling all the YouTubers who favored PS5 since launch like Xbox doesn't feel like a generational jump, whereas "PS5 just feeeels next gen"; essentially say "because... because... it has that je ne sais quio", i.e. "I can't say".

Really funny what you showed. This is a tech demo for a multiplatform game development engine yet it got Sony branded somehow. It was comical just watching Digital Foundry and everyone else trying to make the Sony association every chance they got.

I'm starting to wonder if UE5 is a nothingburger, but, early advanced tools didn't go out until 2021, it wasn't given the full official release until 2022. I don't want to hang my hopes up on this detail, because I'm seriously starting to have doubts, but I should volunteer perhaps devs haven't had it long enough for consumers to see its mass industry adoption.

But yeah, I'm having doubts, Epic seems too distracted with Fortnite and I'm going to guess devs projects are on hold until Epic updates key features needed for devs to finish their games.

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 447 Posts

Not sure if system wars counts this, but horizon call of the mountain on PSVR2

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KvallyX

@stacweed11 said:

Not sure if system wars counts this, but horizon call of the mountain on PSVR2

They don't.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3057 Posts

@kvallyx: I would love if they put out more quality AA games.

Tone down the flash, and turn up the SMASH!

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

They have to be holding most of their games until the PS5 Pro... if not then I have no idea what the hell SONY is doing and it makes absolutely no sense.

I miss the days when AAA devs released AA games to fill the gaps.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@kvallyx: I blame extended development time for this. I'm sure that there are actually plenty of exclusives in the works, it's just that they're not in a stage where they can be properly showcased to the public yet. I bet we'll see a whole bunch of them line up at once around early-to-mid next year.

Yep. I think sony's recent move towards GAAS and the effects of the covid 19 pandemic have played a role in the dry lineup for them this year.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1049 Posts

@super600 said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

Yep. I think sony's recent move towards GAAS and the effects of the covid 19 pandemic have played a role in the dry lineup for them this year.

How about do some research before posting that Sony didn't had any first party game since Ragnarok till now?

MLB, Horizon VR and Burning Shores.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 loudheadphones
@kvallyx said:

What are your thoughts SW? Was Shawn Layden spot on when he said he wanted to make less AAA games for our PS5 due to the high cost? Do you feel that Sony is maybe moving in the wrong direction by releasing less games, and now focusing on Games as a Service with 10 of those games in the pipeline?

My thoughts that you didn't do any research which games Sony have released in 2023. Disgusting

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KvallyX

@loudheadphones said:
@super600 said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

How about do some research before posting that Sony didn't had any first party game since Ragnarok till now?

I guess you didn't read my original post. Please read it then post back.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 loudheadphones

@kvallyx said:
@loudheadphones said:
@super600 said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

The last first party exclusive that Sony released on our PS5 (games not requiring a $600 hardware addon) was back on November 9th, 2022. God of War: Ragnarok.

Really? Cut the crap here

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KvallyX

@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:
@loudheadphones said:
@super600 said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

The last first party exclusive that Sony released on our PS5 (games not requiring a $600 hardware addon) was back on November 9th, 2022. God of War: Ragnarok.

Really? Cut the crap here

Yup really:

"The last first party exclusive that Sony released on our PS5"

MLB isn't a first party exclusive.

"games not requiring a $600 hardware addon"

Horizon VR/Burning Shores requires a $600 hardware addon.

Your problem is, you fail at reading comprehension. So, instead of telling others to "cut the crap", how about you actually slow down and READ what is posted instead being flippant and embarrassing yourself.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KvallyX
@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:

My thoughts that you didn't do any research which games Sony have released in 2023. Disgusting

I not only researched it, I know it like the back of my hand. And I know it better than you, by a landslide.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 loudheadphones

@kvallyx said:
@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:

I not only researched it, I know it like the back of my hand. And I know it better than you, by a landslide.

You've missed 3 games.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KvallyX

@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:
@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:

You've missed 3 games.

Nope.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By loudheadphones
@kvallyx said:
@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:
@loudheadphones said:

You've missed 3 games.

Nope.

Yup really:

Your problem is, you fail at reading comprehension. So, instead of telling others to "cut the crap", how about you actually slow down and READ what is posted instead being flippant and embarrassing yourself.

Same as Xbox peeps are counting Minecraft as 1st party MS game despite it is multiplatform, same can be applied to MLB, boy.

Horizon Burning Shores is an expansion. Really decent in its size

Horizon VR is Sony's game, made by a 1st party studio and it is a first party game.

Yep, cut the crap here. You've said :

"

The last first party exclusive that Sony released on our PS5 (games not requiring a $600 hardware addon) was back on November 9th, 2022. God of War: Ragnarok"

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KvallyX

@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:

Nope.

Yup really:

Same as Xbox peeps are counting Minecraft as 1st party MS game despite it is multiplatform, same can be applied to MLB, boy.

Horizon VR is Sony's game, made by a 1st party studio and it is a first party game.

I didn't bring up Minecraft however. This is about Sony, not Microsoft. I never once mentioned Microsoft, Xbox or any of their games in the OP.

Now DLC counts as a game? LOL, no. And I completed Burning Shores. It was short. And I said first party exclusives that don't require a $600 add-on.

READING COMPREHENSION IS KEY.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By loudheadphones
@kvallyx said:
@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:

Nope.

Yup really:

I didn't bring up Minecraft however. This is about Sony, not Microsoft. I never once mentioned Microsoft, Xbox or any of their games in the OP.

Now DLC counts as a game? LOL, no. And I completed Burning Shores. It was short. And I said first party exclusives that don't require a $600 add-on.

Just pointing out hypocrisy. Mentioned Minecraft as an example of multiplatform title, but it is an MS 1st party game. Same can be applied to MLB. Pretty, pretty simple. Talking about reading comprehension. LOL

You've missed 3 games. EOD. Yes, Burning Shores is a long expansion. Up to 15 hours with all stuff. Btw. saw a few years old thread about Gears Hivebusters here. Yep, it was counted here as game, despite it was expansion ( much shorter than a Burning Shores atually ). Requiring or no requiring 600$ add on, it is a 1st party game.

You've said this and cut the crap here :

The last first party exclusive that Sony released on our PS5 (games not requiring a $600 hardware addon) was back on November 9th, 2022. God of War: Ragnarok"

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6051 Posts

This is what happens when you make games with 7hrs+ of cinematics.

Release dates, gameplay, budget all take a hit, and it's all Sony's fault.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KvallyX

@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:

Just pointing out hypocrisy. Mentioned Minecraft as an example of multiplatform title, but it is an MS 1st party game. Same can be applied to MLB. Pretty, pretty simple. Talking about reading comprehension. LOL

You've missed 3 games. EOD. Yes, Burning Shores is a long expansion. Up to 15 hours with all stuff. Btw. saw a few years old thread about Gears Hivebusters here. Yep, it was counted here as game, despite it was expansion ( much shorter than a Burning Shores atually ). Requiring or no requiring 600$ add on, it is a 1st party game.

Reading comprehension.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69492 Posts
@kvallyx said:

Reading comprehension.

Seems like a common shortcoming of Sony fannies.🤷🏽‍♂️

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By loudheadphones

@kvallyx said:
@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:

Reading comprehension.

Well, you've said no 1st party games since Nov. 2022. Which is wrong in every metric

@Pedro said:
@kvallyx said:

Reading comprehension.

Seems like a common shortcoming of Sony fannies.🤷🏽‍♂️

Of course you'll said that. Nothing unusual

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro