PS4 PRO boost mode is not impressive, its bullshit.

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

Sony is only hinting at improve games that ran at 30fps or lower resolutions on the PS4. Calling it a boost mode is laughable. The PS4 pro has a New GPU, so its supposed to run games with better resolution and frame rate. Newer games will still run awful on the PS4 pro. Boost mode aint going to fix that.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Yeah better framerate and graphics is bullshit

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Maybe wait With these crappy threads until it's actually released?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@loe12k said:

Sony is only hinting at improve games that ran at 30fps or lower resolutions on the PS4. Calling it a boost mode is laughable. The PS4 pro has a New GPU, so its supposed to run games with better resolution and frame rate. Newer games will still run awful on the PS4 pro. Boost mode aint going to fix that.

We already have a thread about this go express your biased opinion there,stop seeking attention.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 loe12k

@aroxx_ab said:

Bloodbourne was 30fps on PS4 because it had a weaker CPU and GPU. The pro has higher clock CPU and 2x times the GPU, whats impressive about hitting 60fps now? Its marketing bullshit by Sony..

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

Butthurt damage control

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 loe12k

@twizded said:

Butthurt damage control

Sony manages 4K 60fps Battlefield 1 for the PRO i be impressed. I don't care if they can increase FPS on older games. Its a good thing they can do this with older PS4 game, but naming it a boost mode is laughable.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

This thread is almost as interesting as listening to random people in public restrooms shitting, almost.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Nice damage control. Go back to hibernating until Scorpio releases.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@loe12k said:

Tigersuperman thread...

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

It's already boosting Lemming butthurt though lol!

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17463 Posts

@loe12k said:

Thats just stupid.

Unless every game got some kind of patch, they can only run at the speed they are coded (unless they have unlocked frame rates).

What I want (and every other PS4 owner wants) is to play existing PS4 games at a STABLE frame rate, meaning no drops, no screen tearing, now slowdowns, no dynamic resolution scaling.

This mode provides all that, which is now the Pro's biggest selling point.

Great move by Sony.

Expecting anything more without a major patch is just silly and naive

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

So you hate that you bought a Pro? That has to be it. Right?

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@loe12k said:
@aroxx_ab said:

Bloodbourne was 30fps on PS4 because it had a weaker CPU and GPU. The pro has higher clock CPU and 2x times the GPU, whats impressive about hitting 60fps now? Its marketing bullshit by Sony..

Bloodborne hits 60FPS??

Where's the link?

It's hard to believe a 22-30FPS PS4 game got jumped up to 60 on Pro in Boost mode.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50677 Posts

Tiger mad! Tiger mad!

In all seriosness, you're a sad human being

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@twizded said:

Butthurt damage control

This^^

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chutebox

I think even most lems week cringe when they read this. That's how terrible this thread is

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

Your butthurt is running at 120fps thanks to The Quad Pro.

Thank you Sony.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9902 Posts

I kind of feel it should have been a launch feature for the Pro. It felt off that you had a more powerful machine with zero improvements for many games. Would never happen on PC where extra power always translates to improvements in some area. But I bought it regardless, so for me it's just a bonus I guess :)! Looking forward to more stable framerate in TW3.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Tiger mad............!!!!lol

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

This thread proves cows only arguments are "lolz butthurt lemz." Seriously that's all you bovine nimrods can say lol.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Watch out, he's gonna blow!!!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17884 Posts

@Sushiglutton: its understandable in fairness. console development generally ties the game very tightly to the hardware its running on. the game is developed and tested to run on one and only one spec. if that specs changes then games can get wierd or just break. e.g. in the PC version of dark souls if the game runs higher than 30FPS the item degradation accelerates (im not sure if this was fixed). it wasnt properly tested to run faster than the PS3/360 version.

it would be very bad PR if sony just had this available day one and all the headlines started shouting "Games not working on PS4 pro!".

whats interesting is that, so far at least, there is no major breaks with letting unsupported games access the extra grunt. im kinda surprised the games are even aware that there is more grunt to be accessed. its pretty telling that the nature of console development has certainly changed over the last number of years. either that or sony has done a lot of work behind the scenes to still fool the game into thinking its running on a normal PS4...but somehow still letting it run faster. hard to say.

i just hope this doesnt open up consoles to another gnarly practice. i.e. game X is released for the PS4/Scorpio, runs like crap on the normal model and only runs well on the pro. people shout out for improvements. sony/MS come back with "no....buy a better PS4/scorpio ya peasant".

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

So boost mode is BS because it gives older games a... boost?

*insert Jennifer Lawrence gif; thumbs up "OK"*

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

I kind of feel it should have been a launch feature for the Pro. It felt off that you had a more powerful machine with zero improvements for many games. Would never happen on PC where extra power always translates to improvements in some area. But I bought it regardless, so for me it's just a bonus I guess :)! Looking forward to more stable framerate in TW3.

Agreed it should have been there since launch but better late than never.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chutebox

@primorandomguy: What is there to argue? It's an obvious crap thread.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#27 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Puhuhu

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

If it turns bloodlourne from 30fps to 60fps it's good.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@loe12k: Did you seriously just say that 60fps is "marketing bullshit?"

1 - What marketing have we seen about boost mode?

2 - How is 60 fps "bullshit?" Are you one of those people that claims they can't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps?

3 - Bloodborne won't run at 60fps in boost mode. It would need a patch to do that.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@loe12k said:
@aroxx_ab said:

@thehig1 said:

Oh god people are already confused about how this works and what it does...

It doesn't make a 30 FPS game a 60 FPS game, that's a coding limitation in the game itself... All it does is attempts to max out the limitations of the existing game code...

If a game has a 30 FPS cap it will only ever hit 30 FPS, if the game has a dynamic resolution, it will only ever hit the top end of that coded resolution...

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@thehig1 said:

It doesn't, probably just makes it more stable. Probably won't even fix the frame pacing. I'm excited for it, but remain skeptical since I don't want to be disappointed.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dynamitecop

@Epak_ said:
@thehig1 said:

It doesn't, probably just makes it more stable. Probably won't even fix the frame pacing. I'm excited for it, but remain skeptical since I don't want to be disappointed.

It doesn't, frame pacing is an issue caused by improper coding, that can only be fixed by altering the game code.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Epak_

@dynamitecop said:
@Epak_ said:
@thehig1 said:

It doesn't, frame pacing is an issue caused by improper coding, that can only be fixed by altering the game code.

Yup.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@dynamitecop: in that case I won't be playing bloodlourne at all.

Souls games are unplayble in 30fps to me.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dakur
@dynamitecop said:
@Epak_ said:
@thehig1 said:

@dynamitecop said:

They assert absolutes before a situation has drawn itself to its conclusion, something only stupid people do.

I'm just quoting you here from a post you recently made in another thread bashing others for making statements before they have all the information and facts at hand, something you clearly do here by asserting that it won't be fixed as an absolute. So I just want to make it evident that you're a hypocrite who constantly does what you accuse others of doing. You constantly try to pass your poorly informed opinion as facts. Furthermore you also called yourself stupid...

But anyways frame pacing can have multiple causes, some of them can be fixed by more powerful hardware that can render some heavy frames quicker so it's still possible that this could be better in Bloodborne.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Epak_

@dakur said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Epak_ said:
@thehig1 said:

@dynamitecop said:

They assert absolutes before a situation has drawn itself to its conclusion, something only stupid people do.

I'm just quoting you here from a post you recently made in another thread bashing others for making statements before they have all the information and facts at hand, something you clearly do here by asserting that it won't be fixed as an absolute. So I just want to make it evident that you're a hypocrite who constantly does what you accuse others of doing. You constantly try to pass your poorly informed opinion as facts. Furthermore you also called yourself stupid...

But anyways frame pacing can have multiple causes, some of them can be fixed by more powerful hardware that can render some heavy frames quicker so it's still possible that this could be better in Bloodborne.

Better just wait it out.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dakur

@Epak_ said:
@dakur said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Epak_ said:
@thehig1 said:

@dynamitecop said:

Better just wait it out.

Yes that would be my advice also...

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dynamitecop

@dakur said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Epak_ said:
@thehig1 said:

@dynamitecop said:

I have all the information, I know what frame pacing is, why it exists, how it functions and the reality that it's a problem with game code itself. This isn't an issue spawned of multiple GPU's where microstutter is present due to incorrect GPU sync and can be corrected at a system level by drivers. Bloodborne holds its 30 FPS at nearly all times even on the base PlayStation 4, throwing more power at it cannot correct frames that are drawing at inconsistent intervals from within the renderer, it's a rendering issue, an issue in the internal coding of the game, this won't do anything for that, the game needs to be updated.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@loe12k: where did Sony say it would hit 60fps? Actually Sony hasn't said anything in regards to boost mode. All that's known is that it either makes for higher or more stable frame rates......

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Better performance on games is never a bad thing.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

I haven't seen Sony marketing this.

Where have you seen marketing at? Is this even released yet?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22416 Posts

@tormentos said:
@loe12k said:

We already have a thread about this go express your biased opinion there,stop seeking attention.

Lmao, hypocrisy at it's finest here...

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

We'll the PRO is a massive flop, stores have countless open box ones sitting around.

It's not selling.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yea here is a game at 30fps.... new boost mode for the pro! really? yea, now i can play the game at a locked 30fps! wow... lol

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

yea here is a game at 30fps.... new boost mode for the pro! really? yea, now i can play the game at a locked 30fps! wow... lol

If the game is locked at 30 no even a titan pascal would move it over 30 as simple as that,the GPU will not say fu** it i do what i want and run the game at 45 or 60,this will be a fact for scorpio as well.

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Lmao, hypocrisy at it's finest here...

I don't have a problem with his biased opinion i have my biased one,i have a problem with people seeking attention and making threads about things we are already discussing lemming.

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

We'll the PRO is a massive flop, stores have countless open box ones sitting around.

It's not selling.

Imagine how much worse Scorpio will do..lol

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#47  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

@loe12k said:
@aroxx_ab said:

It's actually less impressive than that.

Bloodborne has a fps cap of 30. On vanilla PS4, it will run into many areas where the fps will dip below 30 (sometimes quite severely). On PS4 Pro, the Boost mode essentially allows the game to always run at 30 fps, with the same resolution and other resources. Loading time will also most likely be the same, given that PS4 Pro uses the same RAM and HDD as PS4.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Dakur

@dynamitecop said:
@dakur said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Epak_ said:

@dynamitecop said:

I have all the information, I know what frame pacing is, why it exists, how it functions and the reality that it's a problem with game code itself. This isn't an issue spawned of multiple GPU's where microstutter is present due to incorrect GPU sync and can be corrected at a system level by drivers. Bloodborne holds its 30 FPS at nearly all times even on the base PlayStation 4, throwing more power at it cannot correct frames that are drawing at inconsistent intervals from within the renderer, it's a rendering issue, an issue in the internal coding of the game, this won't do anything for that, the game needs to be updated.

No you don't know shit. Whatever Sony does for this "boost" could help faster rendering by the GPU of the individual GPU which will cut their rendering time and allow for more fluidity. That can happen to single individual cards and not necessarily with mutiple GPUs. And that has nothing to do with how a game is programmed, it could be a driver issue that is fixed or tampered with. Stop talking about what you clearly don't know anything about as if you did because you're frankly pathetic and in your own words "something only stupid people do".

Here is a pretty lengthy and good explanation about frame pacing from an expert and what it is so that you can educate yourself for next time and maybe you could stop talking out of your ass for once in your life.

http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-new-look-at-game-benchmarking/

Page 1

"GPU 1 is obviously the faster solution in most respects. Generally, its frame times are in the teens, and that would usually add up to an average of about 60 FPS. GPU 2 is slower, with frame times consistently around 30 milliseconds.

However, GPU 1 has a problem running this game. Let's say it's a texture upload problem caused by poor memory management in the video drivers, although it could be just about ANYTHING, including a hardware issue. The result of the problem is that GPU 1 gets stuck when attempting to render one of the frames—really stuck, to the tune of a nearly half-second delay. If you were playing a game on this card and ran into this issue, it would be a huge show-stopper. If it happened often, the game would be essentially unplayable."

Page 3

"In fact, have a look at the two frame times following the 58 ms delay; they're very low. That's likely because the video card is using triple buffering, so the rendering of those two later frames wasn't blocked by the wait for the one before them. Crazily enough, if you consider just those three frames together, the average frame time is 23 ms. Yet that 58 ms frame happened, and it potentially interrupted the flow of the game."

Notice my highlight of the word anything. This guy, an expert in the subject, is telling people that bad fps pacing could be caused by anything. And here you are telling us that it can be only about the game's coding. Not only are you extremely arrogant but also extremely stupid to think that you know things without actually knowing them. In fact the expert spends most of his time analyzing GPUs and how their pacing on different games work. If the problem of those games were coding then they would have the same problem on every GPU yet on ones there's an issue and on others don't because the issues he examines have not to do with the game coding. And yet you try to isolate that as the only possible issue.

At least read the article before you make your next dumb and uninformed post you bozo.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@KBFloYd: Its to help with games that don't hit the target frame rate or resolution, pretty easy to understand if you can you know, read.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dynamitecop

@dakur said:
@dynamitecop said:
@dakur said:
@dynamitecop said:

@dynamitecop said:

No you don't know shit. Whatever Sony does for this "boost" could help faster rendering by the GPU of the individual GPU which will cut their rendering time and allow for more fluidity. That can happen to single individual cards and not necessarily with mutiple GPUs. And that has nothing to do with how a game is programmed, it could be a driver issue that is fixed or tampered with. Stop talking about what you clearly don't know anything about as if you did because you're frankly pathetic and in your own words "something only stupid people do".

Here is a pretty lengthy and good explanation about frame pacing from an expert and what it is so that you can educate yourself for next time and maybe you could stop talking out of your ass for once in your life.

http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-new-look-at-game-benchmarking/

Page 1

"GPU 1 is obviously the faster solution in most respects. Generally, its frame times are in the teens, and that would usually add up to an average of about 60 FPS. GPU 2 is slower, with frame times consistently around 30 milliseconds.

However, GPU 1 has a problem running this game. Let's say it's a texture upload problem caused by poor memory management in the video drivers, although it could be just about ANYTHING, including a hardware issue. The result of the problem is that GPU 1 gets stuck when attempting to render one of the frames—really stuck, to the tune of a nearly half-second delay. If you were playing a game on this card and ran into this issue, it would be a huge show-stopper. If it happened often, the game would be essentially unplayable."

Page 3

"In fact, have a look at the two frame times following the 58 ms delay; they're very low. That's likely because the video card is using triple buffering, so the rendering of those two later frames wasn't blocked by the wait for the one before them. Crazily enough, if you consider just those three frames together, the average frame time is 23 ms. Yet that 58 ms frame happened, and it potentially interrupted the flow of the game."

Notice my highlight of the word anything. This guy, an expert in the subject, is telling people that bad fps pacing could be caused by anything. And here you are telling us that it can be only about the game's coding. Not only are you extremely arrogant but also extremely stupid to think that you know things without actually know them. In fact the expert spends most of his time analyzing GPUs and how their pacing on different games work. If the problem of those games were coding then they would have the same problem on every GPU yet on ones there's an issue and on others don't because the issues he examines have not to do with the game coding. And yet you try to isolate that as the only possible issue.

At least read the article before you make your next dumb and uninformed post you bozo.

Frame pacing issues cannot be resolved by the introduction of increased compute capabilities, the two are not related especially when framerate is not increased. If a game at 30 FPS has inconsistent frame updates on a 6 teraflop GPU, this same game at 30 FPS is going see no frame pacing changes by introducing a 12 teraflop GPU, it's not intrinsically linked to compute, it's an issue in the renderer via game code. All that you'll see by introducing more compute to the situation is a decrease in GPU usage relative to the increase in compute.

Also consoles do not have traditional graphics drivers, another point you're failing to understand, they sparsely need any interim software as developers are coding almost directly to the metal itself. The reason drivers exist on PC in the capacity they do is almost entirely due to the amount of hardware configurations and the need for them all to operate and communicate with the software/hardware as they cannot properly do this via just the API, there needs to be a middleman, and a driver acts as that middleman, consoles do not function this way.