PS4 but No PSN+

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Who here plans on getting a PS4but saying F it to PSN+?

I personally don't see the value in it, the only PlayStation exclusives I've bothered to play on line  are Demon Souls and Dark Souls and Dark Souls eventually came out on the PC.  I've got both Uncharted 2 & 3 and GOW 4 and have no desire for online.  Any game I find I might want to play online like Modern Warfare I'll just get the Wii U or PC version.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
PS+ but no PS4
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

Both.  The perks alone are worth the price of admission, paywall multiplayer notwithstanding.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
PSN+ can shut up and take my money.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I plan to renew my PS+ but don't intend to play online because I prefer local play. I do intend to get a PS4 as well.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
I'm getting PSN+ for sure, Ive paid for Live for the past 6 years, time to show Sony some love.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shielder7

Both.  The perks alone are worth the price of admission, paywall multiplayer notwithstanding.

Basinboy
What perks? What Sony calls perks I call annoyances.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
If I do get PS+ it will probably be by a month or 3 months depending if they come out with a good multiplayer game, I'd be lying to myself if I said I played online a lot on the PS3. Out of all my PS3 games I only played multiplayer in 3 of them (If Demon's Souls counts).
Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

Where are all the people who claimed "You already pay for internet, Microsoft is ripping you off!"  They seem to be pretty quiet about online play being restricted to paying members.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zidaneski

[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

Shielder7

Discounts is one thing I will mention, normally I just use the cloud saving and play the "free" games, but discounted games you can keep even if you unsubscribe. I just bought Batman: AA for $4.99 and will probably download SotC as well and I have both of those games on disc, best of both worlds. 

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
I do.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shielder7

[QUOTE="Shielder7"][QUOTE="Basinboy"]

Zidaneski

Discounts is one thing I will mention, normally I just use the cloud saving and play the "free" games, but discounted games you can keep even if you unsubscribe. I just bought Batman: AA for $4.99 and will probably download SotC as well and I have both of those games on disc, best of both worlds. 

Unless of course you live in Canada like me where shirking data caps are a reality or prefer Physical copies of games. Also they're not free if you're paying for them.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50656 Posts

I prob wont get psn+

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts
[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

Shielder7

If you mean being able to download and play Deus Ex, Uncharted 3, a slew of Vita games, automatic cloud saves, automatic updates and a whole bunch of discounts on games then... Well, sir, you have redefined first world problems.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shielder7

Where are all the people who claimed "You already pay for internet, Microsoft is ripping you off!"  They seem to be pretty quiet about online play being restricted to paying members.

mynamesdenvrmax
Right here and I'm never quiet.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

Shewgenja

If you mean being able to download and play Deus Ex, Uncharted 3, a slew of Vita games, automatic cloud saves, automatic updates and a whole bunch of discounts on games then... Well, sir, you have redefined first world problems.

It's kinda weird that you have to pay for automatic cloud saves and updates. :P But this is coming from a Steam user.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shielder7

Shewgenja

Deus EX I played on my PC, Uncharted 3 sucked compared to Uncharted 2, LoL Vita, LoL cloud, Automatic updates not an issue considering I shut my $hit down at night including internet and until they start giving discounts on physical copies of games I couldn't care less.
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#18 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, UC 2 and UC 3 are all only worth playing for the multiplayer aspects arguably, so you'd be losing out on most of the experience. 

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shielder7
[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="Shewgenja"][QUOTE="Shielder7"] What perks? What Sony calls perks I call annoyances.

It's kinda weird that you have to pay for automatic cloud saves and updates. :P But this is coming from a Steam user.

No it sounds odd to a person who doesn't use Steam as well.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shielder7

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, UC 2 and UC 3 are all only worth playing for the multiplayer aspects arguably, so you'd be losing out on most of the experience. 

Dead-Memories
Demon Souls I agree with, Dark Souls isn't an exclusive and I never liked UC 2-3 Multiplayer.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts
[QUOTE="Shielder7"][QUOTE="Shewgenja"][QUOTE="Shielder7"] What perks? What Sony calls perks I call annoyances.

Deus EX I played on my PC, Uncharted 3 sucked compared to Uncharted 2, LoL Vita, LoL cloud, Automatic updates not an issue considering I shut my $hit down at night including internet and until they start giving discounts on physical copies of games I couldn't care less.

PS+ is the closest thing to Steam on consoles (which is sobering to say), but it's at least headed in the right direction. Sony wants to incentivize locking me into their ecosystem and if they're going to provide the best value and competitive services, I'll oblige.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zidaneski

[QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

[QUOTE="Shielder7"] What perks? What Sony calls perks I call annoyances. Shielder7

Unless of course you live in Canada like me where shirking data caps are a reality or prefer Physical copies of games. Also they're not free if you're paying for them.

That is unfortunate about the data caps, and yes you are correct that the games are not free which is why I quoted that word so that ideally people would know what I meant. I'm curious as to what is the best way to refer to them because I wouldn't really call it renting a game (because that doesn't do it justice) and its not streaming a game as is Netflix with it's movies. 

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Maybe the same here. I was all for making the PS4 my primary system due to a bunch of irl friends getting it but once the policy changes reversed they've all said they're picking up an Xbox now. So I suppose I'll be sticking with PC and PS4 for the exclusive here and Japanese game there. I don't find any value in Plus.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

if you own a vita, ps3 and going to get a ps4. Psn plus is a no brainer, i'm broke as hell right now but in these past weeks I played gravity rush, unchartetd golden abyss, blazblue continnum shift, god eater, zero's escape virtue's last reward. all that together is way over 50 bucks so I got my money back just on the vita alone. Its a great service

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Where are all the people who claimed "You already pay for internet, Microsoft is ripping you off!" They seem to be pretty quiet about online play being restricted to paying members.

mynamesdenvrmax

1) Sony has stated that they dont require PS+ for all online games. They are letting publishers and developers decide if they want to put their online game behind the PS+ paywall. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/ps4-publishers-decide-if-free-to-play-needs-ps-plus

2) Games labeled as free do not require PS+ to play them. Dc universe online, warframe, planetside 2 and so on which are free games can be played online without having to pay for PS+ http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/17/ps4-planetside-2-dc-universe-online-will-not-require-playstatio/

3) Netflix, internet access, cross game chat and so on do not require ps+ http://www.gamechup.com/ps4-playstation-plus-details-cross-game-chat-doesnt-require-the-service/ and http://www.gamesradar.com/playstation-plus-not-needed-netflix-f2p-multiplayer-ps4/

The original argument was based on the fact that sony was giving its customers for free what microsoft was charging for. There is no argument now that they both are charging. But even still sony is still giving users things for free that microsoft is charging for.

Sony still has a drastic edge in the value department. For 50 bucks PS+ has 18 games instantly, 5 new games a month, discounts on the PSN store and a lot more while microsoft charges 60 bucks a year and only gives 2 games a month.

But as I showed above, sony is not locking everything online behind the PS+ paywall while microsoft is.

CrownedClownAg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CrownedClownAg
Member since 2013 • 54 Posts
Already got it. Now what I am interested in is if using Gaikei, you can stream your PS+ free games on PS4 if you continue your account.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zidaneski

Already got it. Now what I am interested in is if using Gaikei, you can stream your PS+ free games on PS4 if you continue your account.CrownedClownAg

I want to know that as well but they were also talking about having the ENTIRE PS library available to stream. Worst Case scenario (not really, but close enough) is if you had to pay for each individual title and it still doesn't run as smooth as one would hope, I would still be super excited for it because there is a bunch of PS1 and PS2 classics that they haven't put up yet and RPGs still play well even with a delay. First thing I'll search for is Legend of Legaia. 

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shielder7

[QUOTE="Shielder7"][QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

Zidaneski

That is unfortunate about the data caps, and yes you are correct that the games are not free which is why I quoted that word so that ideally people would know what I meant. I'm curious as to what is the best way to refer to them because I wouldn't really call it renting a game (because that doesn't do it justice) and its not streaming a game as is Netflix with it's movies. 

What they are are essentially subscription based games. You pay a subscription based fee to play them, technically no different than WoW.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shielder7

[QUOTE="mynamesdenvrmax"]

Where are all the people who claimed "You already pay for internet, Microsoft is ripping you off!" They seem to be pretty quiet about online play being restricted to paying members.

Gargus

1) Sony has stated that they dont require PS+ for all online games. They are letting publishers and developers decide if they want to put their online game behind the PS+ paywall. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/ps4-publishers-decide-if-free-to-play-needs-ps-plus

2) Games labeled as free do not require PS+ to play them. Dc universe online, warframe, planetside 2 and so on which are free games can be played online without having to pay for PS+ http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/17/ps4-planetside-2-dc-universe-online-will-not-require-playstatio/

3) Netflix, internet access, cross game chat and so on do not require ps+ http://www.gamechup.com/ps4-playstation-plus-details-cross-game-chat-doesnt-require-the-service/ and http://www.gamesradar.com/playstation-plus-not-needed-netflix-f2p-multiplayer-ps4/

The original argument was based on the fact that sony was giving its customers for free what microsoft was charging for. There is no argument now that they both are charging. But even still sony is still giving users things for free that microsoft is charging for.

Sony still has a drastic edge in the value department. For 50 bucks PS+ has 18 games instantly, 5 new games a month, discounts on the PSN store and a lot more while microsoft charges 60 bucks a year and only gives 2 games a month.

But as I showed above, sony is not locking everything online behind the PS+ paywall while microsoft is.

If this is true it does change things a bit but Sony has done a piss poor job of explaining this.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I don't mind paying for PS+ because it's a bloody great service. I got Demon's Souls, SotC and ICO HD and Uncharted 3 all for free cos of PS+. 

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zidaneski

[QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

[QUOTE="Shielder7"] Unless of course you live in Canada like me where shirking data caps are a reality or prefer Physical copies of games. Also they're not free if you're paying for them.Shielder7

What they are are essentially subscription based games. You pay a subscription based fee to play them, technically no different than WoW.

Oh, yeah that sounds good.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Will be getting both since I don't plan on buying that many games on the PS4.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
I'm getting a PS4 and no PS+. I'm mainly getting one when the next King of Fighters installment comes out so I really don't need online on the PS4. I'd like to have it but I'm not going to pay for it. Those multiplats that do magically make their way onto PS4/X1/WiiU, I'll just get on WiiU since the online is still free.
SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

I'm getting PSN+ for sure, Ive paid for Live for the past 6 years, time to show Sony some love. Heil68

Awwwwh yeaaah and with Sony you're not paying to for ads all over your screen, with Sony you get a console by gamers for gamers, the Sony way.

J_O1ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 J_O1ne
Member since 2013 • 129 Posts

Gargus

I guess he got what he wanted but not in this way lol. Nice post.
munkeypoo45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 munkeypoo45
Member since 2008 • 3221 Posts

i probably wont get it until most of my friends get a ps4 as well. im probably gonna be playing mostly single player games anyway, so i would get it mostly to play online with my friends. the extra free games and content are a plus as well.

Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts

We'll see, I'll have to see something that I just think I HAVE to play online before I buy it. I try to buy everything retail, so the discounts don't do much (if anything) for me. The free games are nice, but they haven't announced much there yet for PS4, and the other features we know of I can do without entirely or for the most part at least.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

This topic is lame. I didn't vote. 

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Shewgenja

yeah, but see the problem is you are "only renting the games". so even if you aren't paying extra for those games on top of the online services and would want to keep paying to get another 20+ free games a year, you can't be proud of that because the fanboy group without those deals that has to pay more for online and has always had to pay for online with minimal benefits says so.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shielder7
[QUOTE="Gargus"]

J_O1ne

I guess he got what he wanted but not in this way lol. Nice post.

Well if it's true I see mostly just EA and Activation games behind a PSN+ paywall, if the next Dark Souls isn't behind a paywall than It won't bother me.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I'll wait and see. I'm getting a feeling that Sony will be focusing less on the game library next-gen since most people will get PS+ regardless, just to play online.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#43 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

I personally don't see the value in it, the only PlayStation exclusives I've bothered to play on line  are Demon Souls and Dark Souls and Dark Souls eventually came out on the PC.  I've got both Uncharted 2 & 3 and GOW 4 and have no desire for online.  Any game I find I might want to play online like Modern Warfare I'll just get the Wii U or PC version.

Shielder7
I've had PS+ for just over a year.. I have been given over $1800 worth of games for my $50. Yes, it's easily worth it. You get 12 games right away when you sign up and every month you get more. PS3 and Vita games.. A lot of people love the discounts, the themes, avaters, early access to demo's and betas.. personally I get it just for the awesome games. If I have the game on disc.. then I sell it and still get to play it. Just Cause 2 Warhamer Space Marine Deus Ex Saints Row: The Third Infamous 2 Uncharted 3 Sleeping Dogs Just to name a few.. and as you can see they give some awesome games, not old crappy ones like MS has just now finally started to do.. Oh Halo 3 and AC2? MS needs to do a LOT better to catch Sony.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I intend to keep my PS+ subscription.
Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
I won't get PSN+ until a few months after I get the PS4.
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

I think i'll get it for the months that I actually need it - this being when a MP game is released or the free games are especially good, hopefully buying a single month isn't more expensive than what it'd be if ps+ was bought for 12 months.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I'll probably keep PS+ since I'm already invested into the system. For PS4, I don't think it's going to be worth it though. They're getting rid of the awesome part (like 30 real games for $50) and changing it to "PS+ Edition" demos and indie titles you'll probably get tired of playing after 30 minutes.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

Shielder7

You call the fact that I got Dues Ex, Saints Row IV, Battlefield 3, Little big planet carting, Uncharted Golden Abyss and many others games as part of PSN+ annoyances? I also only paid 40 bucks for PSN+ since I had a coupon through Best Buy. More than worth it as there are many more games to come. 

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shielder7
[QUOTE="Shielder7"]

Rattlesnake_8
I've had PS+ for just over a year.. I have been given over $1800 worth of games for my $50. Yes, it's easily worth it. You get 12 games right away when you sign up and every month you get more. PS3 and Vita games.. A lot of people love the discounts, the themes, avaters, early access to demo's and betas.. personally I get it just for the awesome games. If I have the game on disc.. then I sell it and still get to play it. Just Cause 2 Warhamer Space Marine Deus Ex Saints Row: The Third Infamous 2 Uncharted 3 Sleeping Dogs Just to name a few.. and as you can see they give some awesome games, not old crappy ones like MS has just now finally started to do.. Oh Halo 3 and AC2? MS needs to do a LOT better to catch Sony.

Well you see the problem with this is like I stated before I live in Canada where shrinking data caps are a sad reality so if I were to download those games it would cost me more in the long run than to just buy the physical copies. 2. The games you listed and others I've already played (have) ore really have no desire to play 3. I have this little thing called a full time job, really cuts into my game playing time don't have time to play all those games even if I wanted to download them all (which I don't)
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shielder7

ryangcnx-2

You call the fact that I got Dues Ex, Saints Row IV, Battlefield 3, Little big planet carting, Uncharted Golden Abyss and many others games as part of PSN+ annoyances? I also only paid 40 bucks for PSN+ since I had a coupon through Best Buy. More than worth it as there are many more games to come. 

Data Cap, Data Cap, Data Cap, Prefers Physical copies. There I said it 3 times in a row this time is it sinking in yet?