PS3 -- Why are developers STILL trying so hard on this platform?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

Seriously. WTF is the point of devs trying.

1. Software isn't selling well.

2. PS3s aren't selling well.

3. RFOM is the best selling game, but it still doesn't hold a candle in sales to some Wiigames and several Xbox 360 games.

4. It isreportedly EXTREMELY difficult to program on PS3.

5. It has been reported thatthe financial risk for devs on PS3 is higher than the risk for Xbox 360 and Wii. Remember when it was said that many big budget titles would have to sell AT LEAST 500,000 units b4 devs see any profit? Yeah...that sounds like a risk worth taking :roll:

6. If Xbox 360 and/or Wii were selling this badly, devs would have given up almost immediately. Not so with the mighty PS3 :roll:

7. Ubisoft always makes bad ports for Wii. There have been several bad ports on the original Xbox. Oh...but not for R6V when porting from Xbox 360 to PS3. Ubisoft put in a lot of effort for a port to a console with a small userbase. They would NEVER EVER put that kinda care into a port coming to Wii or Xbox 360.

8. There are nearly as many PS3 titles coming in its 1st year that Xbox 360 had in its 1st year.

9. Square Enix made the FF13 statement saying that IF they put FF13 on Xbox 360, it would require multiple disks. Well, boo hoo. :cry:....Yeah, that REALLY bothered Square Enix when FFVII was on multiple CDs back in the day :roll:

10.Square IMMEDIATELY broke ties with Nintendo (for awhile) when N64 debuted. They didn't even wanna try to make games on the system. Yes, they complained about the cartridge format. Funny how they seem to have no problem retouching games for DS though...Face it. Square thought N64 would BOMB HARD and so they jumped ship. PS3 is bombing, yet Square Enix is sticking around. Tell me there isn't a bias there.

11. Even though PS3 is selling really badly in most areas, UK is not one of them. UK apparently just LOVES SONY to death. I guess price isn't a factor for the almighty PS3 with barely any good games.So worth it...:roll:

Avatar image for SpecialForcesOp
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SpecialForcesOp
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

In other words.....

"Just Wait"

SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SpecialForcesOp

You know u wouldn't care if you owned all three consoles.......

I hope they all provide me with awesome games. which I know that they will

End Thread

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
Are you jealous of a game system or something? Oh no the PS3 gets to have games!!!! People support the PS3 cause they know there are 100+ million PS2 owners who are ready to go next-gen. Besides wouldn't you support a console who's predecessors sold over 200+ million?
Rip870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rip870
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts

3. RFOM is the best selling game, but it still doesn't hold a candle in sales to some Wiigames and several Xbox 360 games.

5. It has been reported thatthe financial risk for devs on PS3 is higher than the risk for Xbox 360 and Wii. Remember when it was said that many big budget titles would have to sell AT LEAST 500,000 units b4 devs see any profit? Yeah...that sounds like a risk worth taking :roll:

6. If Xbox 360 and/or Wii were selling this badly, devs would have given up almost immediately. Not so with the mighty PS3 :roll:

7. Ubisoft always makes bad ports for Wii. There have been several bad ports on the original Xbox. Oh...but not for R6V when porting from Xbox 360 to PS3. Ubisoft put in a lot of effort for a port to a console with a small userbase. They would NEVER EVER put that kinda care into a port coming to Wii or Xbox 360.

8. There are nearly as many PS3 titles coming in its 1st year that Xbox 360 had in its 1st year.

9. Square Enix made the FF13 statement saying that IF they put FF13 on Xbox 360, it would require multiple disks. Well, boo hoo. :cry:....Yeah, that REALLY bothered Square Enix when FFVII was on multiple CDs back in the day :roll:

10.Square IMMEDIATELY broke ties with Nintendo (for awhile) when N64 debuted. They didn't even wanna try to make games on the system. Yes, they complained about the cartridge format. Funny how they seem to have no problem retouching games for DS though...Face it. Square thought N64 would BOMB HARD and so they jumped ship. PS3 is bombing, yet Square Enix is sticking around. Tell me there isn't a bias there.

11. Even though PS3 is selling really badly in most areas, UK is not one of them. UK apparently just LOVES SONY to death. I guess price isn't a factor for the almighty PS3 with barely any good games.So worth it...:roll:

AvIdGaMeR444

Ps3 have sold 3 million with no amazing exlusive. If i wear you i should worry about the xbox instead it have been

out in 17 month have a huge library of good games and it doesent sell werry well.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
because when they already invested million on games that are still in development as well as just setting up all the tools they need to work and train developers on the ps3 hardware. they won't just abandon that right away. at least not till the projects that started are finished. after that it could be rough though.
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SpecialForcesOp

Are you jealous of a game system or something? Oh no the PS3 gets to have games!!!! People support the PS3 cause they know there are 100+ million PS2 owners who are ready to go next-gen. Besides wouldn't you support a console who's predecessors sold over 200+ million?Ragnarok1051

Well Xbox = 24 million

GC = 20 million last gen.

PS2 = 115-120 Million and it's still selling.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ragnarok1051

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]Are you jealous of a game system or something? Oh no the PS3 gets to have games!!!! People support the PS3 cause they know there are 100+ million PS2 owners who are ready to go next-gen. Besides wouldn't you support a console who's predecessors sold over 200+ million?SpecialForcesOp

Well Xbox = 24 million

GC = 20 million last gen.

PS2 = 115-120 Million and it's still selling.

Sony created a beast when they made the PS2

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I think it might be the same reason that the wii has bad ports. It is just too early for sales to matter at. At this point, the games we have were all in development before launch. All the big ps3 games fall in this category. I think that 2008 will be a good indicator of where dev support will be. 360 will stretch its advantage even farther, and wii will get a flood of games (with mixed results). PS3? we'll see.

Also, sony has a good reputation in terms of helping out 3rd party devs in order to make sure their titles are as good as can be. The other 2 only do that for 2nd party games. (could be wrong on that one, but that's what I hear)

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
the price point is the only reason for poor sales,im expecting a price drop announcement come e3.
CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CyanX73
Member since 2004 • 3389 Posts
Well from what RV6 shows, some devs aren't working as hard as others. Sony's inhouse people are really busting their butts on their games and so are companies like Square and Konami. It isn't selling well? Considering the system is 600 plus dollar, and has no games at the moment the PS3 is selling almost exactly what 360 was selling at this point in it's existence. You lems gotta stop saying that the PS3 isn't selling well because it's just not true. Within 2 months the PS3 will have games dropping non stop. By years end there will be more games than many can buy and an increased installed base.
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AvIdGaMeR444

Are you jealous of a game system or something? Oh no the PS3 gets to have games!!!! People support the PS3 cause they know there are 100+ million PS2 owners who are ready to go next-gen. Besides wouldn't you support a console who's predecessors sold over 200+ million?Ragnarok1051

Not jealous. Just confused. Developers abandon platforms that aren't selling well. This has ALWAYS been the case. Not with PS3 though. I guess I just don't understand the logic at all. It is difficult to program for, expensive, risky, etc. And to top it off, other than RFOM, NONE OF THE GAMES ARE SELLING WELL. This should be a red flag for devs, but it isn't. It was said that one of the main reasons devs abandoned N64 was...

1. Difficult to program for

2. High cost of development

3. 3rd parties not selling well

PS3 hasall of theseissues. So, I have to ask this...Why are devs clinging on to PS3 still? It makes ZERO sense. None.

nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
Japanese dev's don't want to develop games for the 360. Some of them don't like the Wii, although it's a cash-cow, because you can't make truly 'next-gen' games on it. Case in point - the Silent Hill team.
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

I don't own any of the new consoles. But people don't want to make a mistake like the Dreamcast. As for the Playstation 3, even though it has been rough for Sony they have no real reason to give up. Yes, I will agree that people are waiting for better games on the PS3. I'm just saying that if you spend so much money in promoting and building a console you "better" make it work. Nintendo didn't back out with the GameCube that's for sure. Even with Sony's PSP, you still see support even though it's not selling well as the Nintendo DS.

I am considering a Playstation 3 purchase(not exactly right now; maybe in the Fall). I say that because IGN just reported that Square Enix has no plans to release any Final Fantasygame on the Xbox 360. Don't get me wrong. I REALLY REALLY WANT TO PLAY MASS EFFECT!Thank God, I did some serious PC upgrades recently to play Alan Wake!

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ragnarok1051

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]Are you jealous of a game system or something?Oh no the PS3 gets to have games!!!! People support the PS3 cause they know there are 100+ million PS2 owners who are ready to go next-gen. Besides wouldn't you support a console who's predecessors sold over 200+ million?AvIdGaMeR444

Not jealous. Just confused. Developers abandon platforms that aren't selling well. This has ALWAYS been the case. Not with PS3 though. I guess I just don't understand the logic at all. It is difficult to program for, expensive, risky, etc. And to top it off, other than RFOM, NONE OF THE GAMES ARE SELLING WELL. This should be a red flag for devs, but it isn't. It was said that one of the main reasons devs abandoned N64 was...

PS3 hasall of theseissues. So, I have to ask this...Why are devs clinging on to PS3 still? It makes ZERO sense. None.

The developers said the PS2 was hard to develop for, and 3rd party has always done real good on Sony's consoles thats what made the PS2 a beast. 3rd party on Nintendo has been horrible since the N64 days.

SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpecialForcesOp

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]Are you jealous of a game system or something? Oh no the PS3 gets to have games!!!! People support the PS3 cause they know there are 100+ million PS2 owners who are ready to go next-gen. Besides wouldn't you support a console who's predecessors sold over 200+ million?AvIdGaMeR444

The game devs are already deep into PS3 development of certain games.

Companies have Long Term investments in the PS3. It's only been 7 months.

If u owned all three consoles I doubt u be so harsh on any of them

nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts

AvIdGaMeR444

Not selling well? It's selling just about as fast as the 360 in it's first 7 months and the 360 had no competition. Don't forget the system is only 3 months old in Europe...
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AvIdGaMeR444

Well from what RV6 shows, some devs aren't working as hard as others. Sony's inhouse people are really busting their butts on their games and so are companies like Square and Konami. It isn't selling well? Considering the system is 600 plus dollar, and has no games at the moment the PS3 is selling almost exactly what 360 was selling at this point in it's existence. You lems gotta stop saying that the PS3 isn't selling well because it's just not true. Within 2 months the PS3 will have games dropping non stop. By years end there will be more games than many can buy and an increased installed base. CyanX73

1. It has been said that PS3 is more costly to develop games for

2. PS3 may have sold as many consoles as Xbox 360 did in the same time period. HOWEVER, software on PS3 is selling MUCH WORSE than Xbox 360 software. The attach rate is TERRIBLE. THAT is where devs make their money!

3. PS3 consoles are dropping off in sales quickly. Xbox 360 had a shortage for a few months. PS3 did not not. PS3 is sitting on store shelves. Xbox 360 userbase kept rising during its 1st year. PS3 userbase isn't rising nearly as much now. It is struggling to compete with GBA...

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#20 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
Yeah, it's becoming very clear that the PS3 is going to lose a ton of marketshare this gen.:)
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AvIdGaMeR444
[QUOTE="AvIdGaMeR444"]

nickmag

Not selling well? It's selling just about as fast as the 360 in it's first 7 months and the 360 had no competition. Don't forget the system is only 3 months old in Europe...

Ok...I shouldn't have slammed PS3 sales. However, like I said, the software is where devs make their money. And software is selling really badly on PS3. The attach rate is low. If software fails to sell, then devs don't make money. It is a huge risk, and PS3 is costly to develop for. So you have high cost combined with software not selling...a LOSING combination. Yet, 3rd party devs keep trucking along and making games anyway.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts

Do you think game developers are a bunch of fanboys that are blinded by the company they support and that can't see the long term potential of another console?

There you go.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]Are you jealous of a game system or something? Oh no the PS3 gets to have games!!!! People support the PS3 cause they know there are 100+ million PS2 owners who are ready to go next-gen. Besides wouldn't you support a console who's predecessors sold over 200+ million?AvIdGaMeR444

I understand. But this isn't an era where companies know what work and what "can" work. The Playstation franchise is the reason why people continue to develop on the PS3. The console has problems, but it has never been in the ditch. I don't think this holiday season is going to be awesome compared to next year. People will be purchasing the games they have been dying to play along with a console in 08; compared to purchasing a console and then waiting for a blasted game to come out.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

some developers have swtich to develope for wii more than ps3..

its where the sales go and before you know it its going to be new winner this current gen... who we dont know time will tell...

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
Maybe be Sony is paying Square Enix an @$$load of cash to stick around.  Who knows?
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

End Thread

SpecialForcesOp

i own all 3 and i care.

maybe you don't appreciate the things you pay lots of money for - or someone else bought em for ya :)

i extremely pissed at Sony and PS3 so far, total disappointment.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

they already sunk the money into the development. I woudl think many of the titles they're working on were being worked on before the ps3 launched...

once they see the abysmal returns on their investment tho, not many will make a second or third game for the ps3....;)

"hidden power"... i love it...:lol:

SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpecialForcesOp
[QUOTE="SpecialForcesOp"]

End Thread

3picuri3

i own all 3 and i care.

maybe you don't appreciate the things you pay lots of money for - or someone else bought em for ya :)

i extremely pissed at Sony and PS3 so far, total disappointment.

Actually scratch that. I am sick and tired of waiting for this 600$ POS god forsaken Rock to start to have games for it.

it's Bull ****

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

Ok...I shouldn't have slammed PS3 sales. However, like I said, the software is where devs make their money. And software is selling really badly on PS3. The attach rate is low. If software fails to sell, then devs don't make money. It is a huge risk, and PS3 is costly to develop for. So you have high cost combined with software not selling...a LOSING combination. Yet, 3rd party devs keep trucking along and making games anyway.

AvIdGaMeR444

Think about it!!! Developers already started on titles like FFXIII and MGS4 before the launch of the PS3 and don't forget that many Japanese developers are already switch there focus on the Wii now but they have to complete whatever PS3 title they are making since it cost a lot of money to develope for!!! In other words, why stop on something when you already puta lot of money on???

Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

PS3 is selling as well as 360 or PS3.

Games are selling decently.

What's your point?

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LosDaddie

they already sunk the money into the development. I woudl think many of the titles they're working on were being worked on before the ps3 launched...

once they see the abysmal returns on their investment tho, not many will make a second or third game for the ps3....;)

"hidden power"... i love it...:lol:

tango90101

QFT!

Devs know of the x360's industry-leading game attach rate and will make most of their games mulitplatform. This trend has already started.

This is the gen we watch Sony lose its dominance in the market. Just wait for May's NPD numbers.....under 100k again.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AvIdGaMeR444

What's your point?

NobuoMusicMaker

No they aren't :|

SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SpecialForcesOp
[QUOTE="NobuoMusicMaker"]

What's your point?

AvIdGaMeR444

There hasn't been a must-have game yet................

and it's going to be that way until MGS4 hits.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lusitanogamer
[QUOTE="NobuoMusicMaker"]

What's your point?

AvIdGaMeR444

Resistance sold 600 000 copies in Europe in just over 2 months. Good games sell, crap games don't.

TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts

^^^^

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
[QUOTE="AvIdGaMeR444"][QUOTE="NobuoMusicMaker"]

What's your point?

lusitanogamer

Resistance sold 600 000 copies in Europe in just over 2 months. Good games sell, crap games don't.

your words are hardly encouraging for third party devs. That's how nintendo talked during the n64 era
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LosDaddie

^^^^

TheOwnerOner

:lol: :lol:

That picture is PERFECT!!

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lusitanogamer
[QUOTE="lusitanogamer"][QUOTE="AvIdGaMeR444"][QUOTE="NobuoMusicMaker"]

What's your point?

GunSmith1_basic

your words are hardly encouraging for third party devs. That's how nintendo talked during the n64 era

No, that should encourage them to put more effort on what they do for the PS3.

If someone told me my work was crap, i sure has hell would work harder to make it better.

hip-hop-cola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 hip-hop-cola
Member since 2007 • 558 Posts

there are so many things in the ps3 that make it differnt than past consoles that you cant look at the past

blue-ray and HOME ar 2 main ones...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I think it is doing fine. Selling as much as the 360 was at this time in the 360s life. Software is marginal but there really arn't that many titles worth owning yet.

Give it a bit of time. I think sales will stay where they are and may even improve when some games come out. Then a price drop will send the system skyrocketing, but that won't be for awhile.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LosDaddie

I think it is doing fine. Selling as much as the 360 was at this time in the 360s life. Software is marginal but there really arn't that many titles worth owning yet.

Give it a bit of time. I think sales will stay where they are and may even improve when some games come out. Then a price drop will send the system skyrocketing, but that won't be for awhile.

Wasdie

The PS3's price will have to be in the impulse-buy range before sales will skyrocket.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

What's your point?

NobuoMusicMaker

no, no, and i think the point is the games suck really bad so far. i personally don't want devs to give up, but i've pretty much given up all hope.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

AvIdGaMeR444

on the subject of the programming, you exxagerrated when you said it was extremely difficult to program for. It's not rocket science when they port something. third party devs have kits that help them port games to the PS3, making it somewhat challenging, if they are not used to it. it's not a big deal. the way you twist information around is very irresponsible, and not a good way to get your point across, just a friendly reminder. :)

springz300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 springz300
Member since 2004 • 2050 Posts

ps3 is a beast waiting to be unleashed. After playstation selling over 200+million, it would be foolish NOT to develop good games for it.

I think lemmings and sheep alike are just scared of the potential of ps3. this is why you always say "MGS4 in 2008!".

You received a beating with ps1, you recieved a beating with ps2. and even if ps3 doesnt give out a beating, im sure it will have the most diverse games as well as online games, especially with warhawk, the agency, HOMe (not a game i know), and confrontation.

I hate to keep saying it, but JUST WAIT!!!!

nacademy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nacademy
Member since 2004 • 227 Posts
Your reason 10 is wrong. The reason Square left Nintendo was because they tried to censor their creative direction. If FFVII was releeased on the N64, it would have been a much different game.
blackice1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blackice1983
Member since 2006 • 2021 Posts

all my friends worshiped sony with the ps2 and now all moved over to the 360. and some instead of having a 360 and ps3 have a 360 and wii. its funny that you think that theres actually 100million ps2 owners

_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts

AvIdGaMeR444

Because it's a great platform and the Sony fanbase is huge. There are several more reasons why they continue to develop for the PS3, but me explaining them to you clearly wouldn't mean much.

Your question is not a very bright one. This should be obvious.
7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts
I think alot of developers were just riding the bandwagon of success that was ps1/2, which was the smart choice. Also, since alot of the jpn devs were so sure of the PS3 they have alot of time and money involved in this first wave of titles were waiting for. You see alot of rumors about FF and MGS going multi-plat and you see alot of devs sort of debunking them. If we ever see either of these titles ported to 360 the announcement will be after the PS3 releases, Konami and SE wouldnt want to sabotage the very thing they banked so hard on. On the other hand we really might not see FF and MGS land anywhere else but more support thrown to Wii and 360 afterwards, but all this speculation is in the hands of the 07 holiday and early 08.. ending the fiscal yr.
EvilDrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 EvilDrifter
Member since 2004 • 792 Posts

"If your so confident about the XBox360, why is there the constant need to slate the PS3? If "almost every gamer" really thinks it's so cr@p, vision-less, filled with bad decisions, etc. then why the tireless efforts by you lot, to prove (and almost overstate) this? just relax and stop trying so hard to convince everyone (including yourselves) - The truth is... Your all afraid of the PS3 and what will come over the next 18 months! My advice... Continue to be afraid... Be very afraid"