ps3 price drop? wondering...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hattyporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hattyporter
Member since 2007 • 172 Posts

hey, im just wondering if anyone out there knows or is also wondering when the ps3's price will drop.  im really interested in teheps3 because i want to continue playing final fantasy and mgs4, but its definately too expensive for me right now.  any thoughts?  please no useless hating posts, im honestly wondering as im sure others are.

iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts

hey, im just wondering if anyone out there knows or is also wondering when the ps3's price will drop. im really interested in teheps3 because i want to continue playing final fantasy and mgs4, but its definately too expensive for me right now. any thoughts? please no useless hating posts, im honestly wondering as im sure others are.

hattyporter
So far all I've seen are price increases for the system. I guess this is what Sony meant when they said the PS3 is an investment. :lol:
meischris39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#3 meischris39
Member since 2004 • 5432 Posts
Where i live everyone has dropped the price from £425 to £400 which is around $50 drop. Quite suprised though the system seems to be selling well, i just think the high price tag might be forcing many people too look elsewhere. An official price drop won't come for at least a year Sony have too much to lose on the PS3 and all the money they are losing at the moment would just be ballooned if it was lowered further.
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts

hey, im just wondering if anyone out there knows or is also wondering when the ps3's price will drop.  im really interested in teheps3 because i want to continue playing final fantasy and mgs4, but its definately too expensive for me right now.  any thoughts?  please no useless hating posts, im honestly wondering as im sure others are.

hattyporter
i hope it drops significantly and gets some more good games. If this happens I'd probably pcik one up. Right now I'm waiting to see what the developers can do with the cell in regard to game play. Depending on the experience they can offer will decide if I get one or not.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts
Fall or xmas season 07. That was a time when sombody said that Sony was trying to sell many PS3s at those prices as it can. Now i hear PS3 production cost will be lower. anybody hear somthing like this?
Xatranaz70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xatranaz70
Member since 2006 • 118 Posts

An official price drop won't come for at least a year Sony have too much to lose on the PS3 and all the money they are losing at the moment would just be ballooned if it was lowered further.meischris39

Im pretty sure they will save a lot of money with the removal of the Emotion Chip that the Europeans got along with the Americans & Japs pretty soon 

chipface-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chipface-z
Member since 2006 • 1336 Posts
It'd be nice to see a significant price drop, then I'd maybe pick one up, if there are enough exclusives that appeal to me.  I think that once Sony announces a price drop, MS would drop the price of the 360.
Kekira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kekira
Member since 2007 • 2128 Posts
Well since they're discontinuing the 20gb model, are taking out the PS2 and PS1 chips AND are outsourcing the Cell, prices are likely to drop in the Fall at the earliest.
Paul_TheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Paul_TheGreat
Member since 2004 • 9085 Posts
This holiday season.
Xatranaz70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xatranaz70
Well since they're discontinuing the 20gb modelKekira
Is this actually official? I heard people talkin about it on forums but never actually seen a link to confirm this.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
There will be no price drops this year.  Sony is losing too much money on the system, its just too damn expensive.  Maybe next year you can play the games you want to play.
kingyoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 kingyoto
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts

hey, im just wondering if anyone out there knows or is also wondering when the ps3's price will drop. im really interested in teheps3 because i want to continue playing final fantasy and mgs4, but its definately too expensive for me right now. any thoughts? please no useless hating posts, im honestly wondering as im sure others are.

hattyporter
well I wonder the same not because the ps3 is too expensive for me but becuse I don't want to buy a ps3 only to have the price drop50-100$ the next month.
Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
They are loosing to much off each system right now to drop the price. MS was loosing money but is now making it of their systems. Wii I think never lost money off their systems. So PS3 will not drop in price while they are already loosing money.
kingyoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 kingyoto
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts
[QUOTE="hattyporter"]

kingyoto
well I wonder the same not because the ps3 is too expensive for me but becuse I don't want to buy a ps3 only to have the price drop50-100$ the next month.

depending on which system has a price drop first ps3 or 360 will decide what I buy...
Kekira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kekira

[QUOTE="Kekira"]Well since they're discontinuing the 20gb modelXatranaz70
Is this actually official?  I heard people talkin about it on forums but never actually seen a link to confirm this.

I forget the link, but it's from one of Sony's sites. It'd make sense though since no one can ever find those and retailers don't seem to have many in stock.

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
here is a link about the 20gb PS3 http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/sonystylecom-flushes-20gb-ps3-250501.php
Kekira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kekira

here is a link about the 20gb PS3 http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/sony****om-flushes-20gb-ps3-250501.phpEltroz
Thank you!

EDIT: link'd

inerte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 inerte
Member since 2004 • 1007 Posts
If, or most likely, when the price drops, it's something we'll only know officially a couple day before. Do you think that anyone would buy a PS3 today if we knew it's going to be cheaper in May? It's a bad business decision to make such announcements so early. Anyone, my guess is sometime next year.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect a price drop anytime soon.
hattyporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hattyporter
Member since 2007 • 172 Posts
thanks for the info guys, helpful!
Xatranaz70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xatranaz70

[QUOTE="Eltroz"]here is a link about the 20gb PS3 http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/sony****om-flushes-20gb-ps3-250501.phpKekira

Thank you!

EDIT: link'd

OMG.... that is going to be really expensive in a few years time for freak serious collectors...... LIKE ME!!! :cry:
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
There will probably be a price drop at around Christmas time. Hope you can persevere i couldn t :(
Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 Trading_Zoner
Member since 2007 • 4100 Posts
Probably around E3 of 2008. That's my guess.
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
Where i live everyone has dropped the price from £425 to £400 which is around $50 drop. Quite suprised though the system seems to be selling well, i just think the high price tag might be forcing many people too look elsewhere. An official price drop won't come for at least a year Sony have too much to lose on the PS3 and all the money they are losing at the moment would just be ballooned if it was lowered further.meischris39
Not entirely true. A lot of the high cost comes from the Blu-Ray tech. That technology is dropping in price considerably in the 4th qtr (you could see $400 bluray players). If that's the case, it should be cheaper to make PS3 as well. They could give them the opportunity to drop the price of the PS3. Of course.......if SOE want to actually make money on each system sold they won't do anything. But that would be a business mistake since selling more consoles = big user base = more $$ from selling software. In the end they are going to drop the price, at this point they have got all the people who were willing to dump $600 in a game system. It's time to drop the price to get the next suckers....errr I mean gamers :P (I don't mean suckers in a sense that's it's a bad investment....just they could wait another year and it will be even cheaper)
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
The Playstation 3 has something going for it that could facilitate a price drop that the other guys don't have. The sale of Blu-Ray movies. If Sony continues to make bank from the revenue it generates when companies like Paramount, Buena Vista, Warner Brothers, etc decide to release a movie on Blu-Ray, it could help speed along a price drop. That's two sources of licensing fees, third party games and movies on Blu-Ray from studios outside of Sony Pictures. Because that money does not go back to Columbia/Tri-Star, they have no part in Blu-Ray, except they don't pay anything to use that format.
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts

hattyporter

The chances for a price drop anytime soon are about the same as hell freezing over.