ps3 lacks a true killer app

• 190 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ---OkeyDokey---
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ---OkeyDokey---
Member since 2007 • 3318 Posts

Halo 3 and SSBB.

The ps3 desperately needs a game like this.

These are the sort of games that will sell and be played consistently throughout the entire generation. Games that will keep lemmings and sheep busy even in the slow summer months. Each will last as long as the ps3's entire 07 lineup and completely justify the purchase of the respective system they appear on. Both will likely exceed 8 million copies sold and drive hardware sales through the ceiling which is more than can be said about any ps3 game currently announced

This is one of the things that keep me on the fence about the playstation 3. I keep wondering what I'll be playing at the start of next year. Heavenly sword, Uncharted, R&C, lair are all quality titles, but lets face it: they could probably all be finished within a rental. Now the ps2 didn't have a game like Halo/Smash either but it made up for it with the sheer quantity of games (again, can't say that about the ps3)

What do you guys think.

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#2 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts

Oblivion on the 360 has kept me going for over a year, there's been plenty of other stuff to play but I keep going back to the game that made me buy the system.

PS3 so far has..... hang on I'll think of something soon... just you wait...

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts

Oblivion on the 360 has kept me going for over a year, there's been plenty of other stuff to play but I keep going back to the game that made me buy the system.

TTDog

... they have Oblivion too! The Cows can play that whilst they wait for a true killer app.

... which probibally won't be long. The PS3 seems to have an ok line-up this Christmas ..

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ---OkeyDokey---

TTDog

oblivion is a big one too but its not nearly as popular as halo and smash which was part of the topic.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

Halo 3 and SSBB.

These are the sort of games that will sell and be played consistently throughout the entire generation. Games that will keep lemmings and sheep busy even in the slow summer months. Each will last as long as the ps3's entire 07 lineup and completely justify the purchase of the respective system they appear on. Both will likely exceed 8 million copies sold and drive hardware sales through the ceiling which is more than can be said about any ps3 game currently announced

This is one of the things that keep me on the fence about the playstation 3. I keep wondering what I'll be playing at the start of next year. Heavenly sword, Uncharted, R&C, lair are all quality titles, but lets face it: they could probably all be finished within a rental. Now the ps2 didn't have a game like Halo/Smash either but it made up for it with the sheer quantity of games (again, can't say that about the ps3)

What do you guys think.

---OkeyDokey---

Variety.....the PS2 or the PS1 never had a game like Halo 3 and SSBB that had a 33% attach rate and there is a reason, their fans had their choice of solid games from ALL genres. The Xbox and GC were very limited in variety. Dependancy on one franchise does not lead to success.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ---OkeyDokey---
[QUOTE="TTDog"]

daqua_99

... they have Oblivion too! The Cows can play that whilst they wait for a true killer app.

... which probibally won't be long. The PS3 seems to have an ok line-up this Christmas ..

yeah it has an okay lineup but like I said you could finish them all within a rental. They're not really must haves or that popular. SSBB and Halo 3 will last as long as the ps3's whole 07 lineup. There are many sheep and lemmings that still play halo 2 and melee.

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TTDog

Oblivion was more of a killer app for the 360 as they had it a year earlier, if you wanted to play Oblivion without a PC there was only one play you could get it, if you really wanted Oblivion you weren't going to sit around and wait for the PS3 version were you.

By the time that it came out on the PS3 most people had already played through the game elsewhere and any chance it had of being a system seller vanished.

Of all the big "Just you wait" titles that are finally appearing on the PS3 this year Lair is getting average reviews (no rumours that you'll be able to unlock a hidden graphic so you can play flying along on a TURKEY), Heavenly Sword... the "next gen" adventure where you CAN'T JUMP and Warhawk is Shadowrun with planes... no killer apps there.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ---OkeyDokey---
[QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"]

Halo 3 and SSBB.

What do you guys think.

Javy03

Variety.....the PS2 or the PS1 never had a game like Halo 3 and SSBB that had a 33% attach rate and there is a reason, their fans had their choice of solid games from ALL genres. The Xbox and GC were very limited in variety. Dependancy on one franchise does not lead to success.

Yes PS1/2 had no need for a game like this because of sheer quantity of games. Ps3 will not not close to their libraries. Ps3 isn't selling too well and a huge game like this would drastically increase sales. GC and Xbox would not have sold as well without melee and halo.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ---OkeyDokey---

Oblivion was more of a killer app for the 360 as they had it a year earlier, if you wanted to play Oblivion without a PC there was only one play you could get it, if you really wanted Oblivion you weren't going to sit around and wait for the PS3 version were you.

By the time that it came out on the PS3 most people had already played through the game elsewhere and any chance it had of being a system seller vanished.

TTDog

yeah I think oblivion Ps3 had only sold about 500 k worldwide.

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TTDog
[QUOTE="TTDog"]

---OkeyDokey---

yeah I think oblivion Ps3 had only sold about 500 k worldwide.

I'd be surprised if it sold that many.

StrayMBlasTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StrayMBlasTER
Member since 2005 • 375 Posts
the only one sony has really has is Killzone 2 but there is serius doubt going around.
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ---OkeyDokey---

Come on cows.

any other time you can't keep your mouths shut :roll:

Avatar image for PelekotansDream
PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13 PelekotansDream
Member since 2005 • 7602 Posts

Halo 3 and SSBB.

What do you guys think.

---OkeyDokey---
Halo 3 and SSBB did not come out at launch, same with Killzone.
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ---OkeyDokey---

the only one sony has really has is Killzone 2 but there is serius doubt going around.StrayMBlasTER

please read the thread topic. I mean a game thats going to sell and be played throughout this whole gen.

Killzone is sooooooooo far from that.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ---OkeyDokey---

Halo 3 and SSBB.

What do you guys think.

PelekotansDream

Halo 3 and SSBB did not come out at launch, same with Killzone.

what does that have to do with anything. :?

No_Talent_Dev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 No_Talent_Dev
Member since 2007 • 505 Posts
Even though I don't like MGS I think MGS4 is suppose to be it's killer app. The games this year are not killer for the PS3 and I doubt KIllzone 2 will be anything great except for it's graphics.
StrayMBlasTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StrayMBlasTER
04:39:30

[QUOTE="StrayMBlasTER"]the only one sony has really has is Killzone 2 but there is serius doubt going around.---OkeyDokey---

please read the thread topic. I mean a game thats going to sell and be played throughout this whole gen.

anything on ps3 thas gonna be played more than KZ2? (there probably will be)

its the only thing i really want to play on ps3 and from all the talk i heard theres a good chance of disapointment!

and i thought it was the bigest game announcement from sony.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts

[QUOTE="StrayMBlasTER"]the only one sony has really has is Killzone 2 but there is serius doubt going around.---OkeyDokey---

What makes you so sure about that? Killzone 2 could turn out a killer app. Just because a game wasn't that good doesn't mean the sequel won't be too. Look at GTA games.

And judging by your definition of killer app, the PS3 kind of has one already: Resistance Fall of Man sold lots of copies and it's still played by a lot of PS3 owners until this day.

Nero_Paladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nero_Paladin
Member since 2007 • 1099 Posts

i think uncharted is going to do very well for sony

so much so i believe its going to be a system seller

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TTDog

[QUOTE="StrayMBlasTER"]the only one sony has really has is Killzone 2 but there is serius doubt going around.lusitanogamer

What makes you so sure about that? Killzone 2 could turn out a killer app. Just because a game wasn't that good doesn't mean the sequel won't be too. Look at GTA games.

And judging by your definition of killer app, the PS3 kind of has one already: Resistance Fall of Man sold lots of copies and it's still played by a lot of PS3 owners until this day.

Still played today... by default, nothing else worth playing.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ---OkeyDokey---

[QUOTE="StrayMBlasTER"]the only one sony has really has is Killzone 2 but there is serius doubt going around.lusitanogamer

so your going to be playing resistance until ps4? so its the biggest game on the system? so it will sell as well as SSBB and halo?

resistance is only selling because its the lone exclusive thats actually worth buying. resistance is doing nothing to make ps3's fly off the shelves.

StrayMBlasTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 StrayMBlasTER
[QUOTE="lusitanogamer"][QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"]

[QUOTE="StrayMBlasTER"]the only one sony has really has is Killzone 2 but there is serius doubt going around.TTDog

i still dont have RFOM!

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Crucible
Member since 2007 • 3305 Posts

What do you guys think.

---OkeyDokey---

I think you need to cut the crap and get real. Do you really think Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, R&C, Lair, and (you forgot) Warhawk will all be just rental plays? If you do, stop gaming.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
[QUOTE="lusitanogamer"][QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"]

[QUOTE="StrayMBlasTER"]the only one sony has really has is Killzone 2 but there is serius doubt going around.TTDog

Oh really? Than i guess games like Oblivion and NGS are not worth playing too.

You could say the same about Halo games. There was nothing else worth playing on the Xbox besides those. Weren't Halo 1 and 2 killer app games?

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ---OkeyDokey---

Nero_Paladin

man you people aren't reading properly. uncharted is a 20 hour game.

what happens when you finish it a week after buying it. smash bros and halo have infinity replay value.

system seller.....naw. let me tell you that uncharted is not tempting me one bit to spend 600 dollars on a console.

StrayMBlasTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrayMBlasTER
[QUOTE="Nero_Paladin"]

---OkeyDokey---

man you people aren't reading properly. uncharted is a 20 hour game.

what happens when you finish it a week after buying it. smash bros and halo have infinity replay value.

system seller.....naw. let me tell you that uncharted is not tempting me one bit to spend 600 dollars on a console.

well its not tempting you, what about everone else?

i would really like uncharted in my game library ALONG with halo 3

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Crucible
Member since 2007 • 3305 Posts

You could say the same about Halo games. There was nothing else worth playing on the Xbox besides those. Weren't Halo 1 and 2 killer app games?

lusitanogamer

Yeah, I find it funny hoe people like to claim that PS3 hasn't had titles when 360 didn't have crap 8-9 months into its life either. The only major, eclusiveapp the 360 has got is Gears of War. And didn't that come out in year 2 of the 360's life?

But Uncharted, HS, R&C, Lair, and Warhawk being released in the first year of the PS3 is crap?

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TTDog
[QUOTE="TTDog"][QUOTE="lusitanogamer"][QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"]

Just showing your ignorance of Xbox games there pal, NGS... the rehash of an old Xbox game, Oblivion played to death already on PC and 360, the PS3 game played by people too stuck in their fanboyism to buy it on others system a year earlier.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ---OkeyDokey---

What do you guys think.

The_Crucible

I think you need to cut the crap and get real. Do you really think Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, R&C, Lair, and (you forgot) Warhawk will all be just rental plays? If you do, stop gaming.

do you deny that they could be finished in a rental ? I managed to finish ratchet & clank 1-4 in rentals. How is this new one with no online supposed to be any different.

yep I forgot warhawk that one should last awhile but its no killer app system seller.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#30 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts

My personal killer apps that will get or get alot of online time.

Motorstorm, which I still play online

Resistance lots of online time

Elderscrolls

Haze

Killzone 2

These are games thatI will put tons of hours into, might play alot of Lair depends on how much free roaming it has.

StrayMBlasTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StrayMBlasTER
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"]

What do you guys think.

---OkeyDokey---

do you deny that they could be finished in a rental ? I managed to finish ratchet & clank 1-4 in rentals. How is this new one with no online supposed to be any different.

yep I forgot warhawk that one should last awhile but its no killer app system seller.

i dunno about that my friend but my cousin spent alot of time playing that game after he beat the main story.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ---OkeyDokey---

[QUOTE="lusitanogamer"]

The_Crucible

Yeah, I find it funny hoe people like to claim that PS3 hasn't had titles when 360 didn't have crap 8-9 months into its life either. The only major, eclusiveapp the 360 has got is Gears of War. And didn't that come out in year 2 of the 360's life?

But Uncharted, HS, R&C, Lair, and Warhawk being released in the first year of the PS3 is crap?

I'm talking about now. Sony isn't trying to compete with microsoft software from last year. None of those ps3 are GOTY material or system sellerslike gears was anyway.

the 360 had more exclusives worth playing at launch than ps3 does9 months in. They want us to pay 600 bucks for nothing.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ---OkeyDokey---

Elderscrolls

Haze

Killzone 2

These are games thatI will put tons of hours into, might play alot of Lair depends on how much free roaming it has.

caseypayne69

Those aren't killer apps.

motorstorm is seriously lacking content.

ES is a year old, no one will buy a ps3 to play that.

haze is not exclusive.

killzone is 2008.

Resistance is the only game worth buying on the system and its been that way since launch.

Shusty_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shusty_lives
Member since 2007 • 584 Posts
PS3 doesn't need a killer app. Other system fans need to understand Sony doesn't favor one type of game. Look up PS1 and PS2 for more details.
StrayMBlasTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StrayMBlasTER
[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]

Elderscrolls

Haze

Killzone 2

---OkeyDokey---

haze is not exclusive.

killzone is 2008.

Resistance is the only game worth buying on the system and its been that way since launch.

different APPs come out at different times.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts
[QUOTE="TTDog"][QUOTE="lusitanogamer"][QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"]

NGS is a remake of an xbox game, & Ive played Oblivion to death already on my xbox 360 a year ago.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ---OkeyDokey---
[QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"][QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"]

What do you guys think.

StrayMBlasTER

i dunno about that my friend but my cousin spent alot of time playing that game after he beat the main story.

the new one has no form of multiplayer. Its seems sony rushed Insomniac to make the game to help sales, and they seem to be putting more effort into the graphics. Its been less than a year since resistance, 1 year isn't long enough to make a game in this generation (wii excluded)

Nero_Paladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nero_Paladin
Member since 2007 • 1099 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

[QUOTE="lusitanogamer"]

---OkeyDokey---

I'm talking about now. Sony isn't trying to compete with microsoft software from last year. None of those ps3 are GOTY material or system sellerslike gears was anyway.

the 360 had more exclusives worth playing at launch than ps3 does9 months in. They want us to pay 600 bucks for nothing.

are you sure about this, as far as i remember next gen gaming basically started with GeOW which was released about year after 360 was released.

in my opinion both consoles had weak launches with know truly exeptional games available till at least a year after their release, with the second year generally being the strongest time for both consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-59603ff9b9423
deactivated-59603ff9b9423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59603ff9b9423
Member since 2007 • 2413 Posts

MGS4 = killer app, FFXIII = killer app,Deny it all you wan't.

CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CyanX73
Member since 2004 • 3389 Posts

Halo 3 and SSBB.

What do you guys think.

---OkeyDokey---

PS3 should have, ideally, launched with one of the PS2's killer aps. Let's not get crazy, Sony has plenty of identifiable killer aps that are exclusive but none bigger than God of War. I really think God of War 2 should have been a PS3 game. As is, the PS3 is missing that killer ap but maybe Heavenly Sword or Uncharted will be that game.

Shusty_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shusty_lives
[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]

Elderscrolls

Haze

Killzone 2

---OkeyDokey---

haze is not exclusive.

killzone is 2008.

Look. Halo is one game vs. R:FOM, Motorstorm, NGS, and Haze. That how Sony does it. They pit up multiple games against your killer app. Think about this september. Halo 3 is going up against Heavenly Sword, Lair, Rachet and Clank, and Warhawk. That's 1 vs. 4.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ---OkeyDokey---
people stop using the ps1/2 libraries as damage control. your insane if you expect a similar rate of quality AND quantity with this console the way its doing atm.
StrayMBlasTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StrayMBlasTER
i say we shoulnt say anything about killer apps until everyone brought out
the big guns.
Avatar image for deactivated-59603ff9b9423
deactivated-59603ff9b9423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59603ff9b9423
Member since 2007 • 2413 Posts
[QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"][QUOTE="caseypayne69"]

Elderscrolls

Haze

Killzone 2

Shusty_lives

haze is not exclusive.

killzone is 2008.

Look. Halo is one game vs. R:FOM, Motorstorm, NGS, and Haze. That how Sony does it. They pit up multiple games against your killer app. Think about this september. Halo 3 is going up against Heavenly Sword, Lair, Rachet and Clank, and Warhawk. That's 1 vs. 4.

Exactly, the PS2 did not win just because it had one killer app, but because it had a large variety of quality games.

coratel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 coratel
Member since 2007 • 238 Posts

Of all the big "Just you wait" titles that are finally appearing on the PS3 this year Lair is getting average reviews (no rumours that you'll be able to unlock a hidden graphic so you can play flying along on a TURKEY), Heavenly Sword... the "next gen" adventure where you CAN'T JUMP and Warhawk is Shadowrun with planes... no killer apps there.

TTDog

Just an aside here, why does the lack of the ability to jump keep something from being next gen? Can you jump in Rainbow Six: Vegas? Can you jump in Kameo? Can you jump in GRAW? Can you jump in any MGS? Why is jumping so important? Lair is getting moderate REVIEW and has been delayed, so it may be better when it comes out. And Warhawk looks like fun, so what if it might be simple?

solidte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 solidte
Member since 2005 • 3616 Posts

Maybe not this year, but it still has rock solid titles coming up, Warhawk, Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Lair and Tekken 6 can definetely hold you on until MGS4 or FFXIII.

Shusty_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shusty_lives

people stop using the ps1/2 libraries as damage control. your insane if you expect a similar rate of quality AND quantity with this console the way its doing atm.---OkeyDokey---

How is that DC? We basically telling you that Sony is doing the same thing with the PS3 as it's last predecessors. You fail to realize that 1 game can only be played so much.

---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ---OkeyDokey---

Halo 3 and SSBB.

What do you guys think.

CyanX73

PS3 should have, ideally, launched with one of the PS2's killer aps. Let's not get crazy, Sony has plenty of identifiable killer aps that are exclusive but none bigger than God of War. I really think God of War 2 should have been a PS3 game. As is, the PS3 is missing that killer ap but maybe Heavenly Sword or Uncharted will be that game.

you hit the nail right on the head.

Gow 2 in the launch window would be something for cows to brag about. Sony didn't think it was possible for the ps3 to fail but their now facing the consequence: loss of marketshare.

It doesn't matter if it magically becomes successful in 2008 because by then the lead will be impossible to catch up to.

They have to pray that wii slows down (doubt it) its their only chance to come out on top. (but not by as much as last gen)