PS3 is more powerful than the 360. Here's another example as to why that is...

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 l_The_DetoX_l
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Ok I think this topic should end, in conclusion

PS3 is a communicating grill

and 360 is just as powerful and hot as that communicating grill. The End.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts
bah. numbers dont mean anything if you dont have games to show it off. 360 and PS3 are practically the same Hardware wise. Deal with it.
PyroXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 PyroXD
Member since 2006 • 852 Posts

Im sick of hearing all this**** stuff from sony/imb

The day i have an acuall game playing on my ps3 that's as good as they say it is, i will thanks them for wasting 2 years of my life listing to them

theboxmike
First, Who the **** is imb Second, wtf are you talking about???
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 DaddyDC650
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts
[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Call me when someone has a thread about PS3 games being dropped off at stores for people to buy. Is the PS3 more powerful than the 360? Sure, wtf, lets say its at least x2Bill Cosby more powerful than the 360. Is this extra power doing anyone a damn bit of good atm? No, its not. Tech threads are the worst threads on this entire forum, I would rather read the next manifesto from PS3_FTW than the most accurate tech thread around. Most people want games from their game systems not the smug self satisfying satisfaction that their system does 10% more g-flops than a rival system. I'm not saying the PS3 sux I think it will at some point be a great system I'm just saying tech threads make me want to puke.

Redfingers

The point is not that it performs "10% better" than rival systems, it's that it absolutely blows everything out of the water in any of these technical demonstrations. We're talking multiple times better than anything it's been put up against. That's why there's a point to it. The concept is that the PS3 has absolutely limitless potential.

I agree with some of the things you typed. I'm not so sure about the limitless potential though......
Avatar image for machitocaliente
machitocaliente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 machitocaliente
Member since 2007 • 832 Posts
Damn, the advantages of cell are awesome.l_The_DetoX_l
COOL. WITH THAT GOODLY MEGA CPU I BET GAMES LIKE FEAR RUN AT MORE THAN 30 FPS AND LOOKING GREAT ON PS3, UPS NO.
l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 l_The_DetoX_l
If my understanding is what it is. With this cell technology, It's like PS3 and 360 are both Spartan soldiers, like in 300, but with PS3 you're able to assemble an army of Spartan soldiers. That's an expensive army.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
3 PS3s ? :|
AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 AgentVX
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

The point is not that it performs "10% better" than rival systems, it's that it absolutely blows everything out of the water in any of these technical demonstrations. We're talking multiple times better than anything it's been put up against. That's why there's a point to it. The concept is that the PS3 has absolutely limitless potential.Redfingers

Bahahahaha!!! This was one of the funniest post I have seen.

"Multiple time better" and "PS3 has absolutely limitless potential" are the one that blew my water out my nose.

And meantime, in the world world, 360 games look better, run better and have online capablities and are consistly out performing the same PS3 games.  So much for the absolutely limitless potential of the PS3!!!

Hey, word of advice, put down the pipe. 

RedG375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 RedG375
Member since 2003 • 438 Posts
Very interesting indeed. If only we all had three Playstation 3's...
unknowndrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 unknowndrk
Member since 2006 • 694 Posts
I own all 3 consoles. I think the 360 versions only look better at the moment because no one knows how to take advantage of the ps3's cell so they just port 360 versions to the ps3 and thats why it's like this at the moment. I think down the road when the cell is taken advantage of there will be a bigger difference graphics wise between the systems. 
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 DaddyDC650
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts
I own all 3 consoles. I think the 360 versions only look better at the moment because no one knows how to take advantage of the ps3's cell so they just port 360 versions to the ps3 and thats why it's like this at the moment. I think down the road when the cell is taken advantage of there will be a bigger difference graphics wise between the systems. unknowndrk

Yup. It's too bad that PS3 development costs so dang much. Probably why devs don't bother pushing the system since they know that there are not many PS3 owners in the first place to buy their product so why bother wasting tons of cash on development time for a port?
l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 l_The_DetoX_l

[QUOTE="l_The_DetoX_l"]Damn, the advantages of cell are awesome.machitocaliente

COOL. WITH THAT GOODLY MEGA CPU I BET GAMES LIKE FEAR RUN AT MORE THAN 30 FPS AND LOOKING GREAT ON PS3, UPS NO.

So you've played a game that's going to be released on April 24th for PS3? Interesting..., may I ask how? 

unknowndrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 unknowndrk
Member since 2006 • 694 Posts
[QUOTE="unknowndrk"]I own all 3 consoles. I think the 360 versions only look better at the moment because no one knows how to take advantage of the ps3's cell so they just port 360 versions to the ps3 and thats why it's like this at the moment. I think down the road when the cell is taken advantage of there will be a bigger difference graphics wise between the systems. DaddyDC650

Yup. It's too bad that PS3 development costs so dang much. Probably why devs don't bother pushing the system since they know that there are not many PS3 owners in the first place to buy their product so why bother wasting tons of cash on development time for a port?

yea good point. There simply just needs to be more ps3 owners before the big fireworks begin.
hamumu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 hamumu
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts

Yes, the PS3 is indeed many times superior when it comes to floating point.

But keep in mind, that realtime ray-tracing for games won't be very feasible until next generation

And the comparisons on specific benchmarks are pointless, if you ran a pixel shader or a vertex shaderbenchmark, the 360 would dominate the PS3. It doesn't mean that the PS3 is more powerful because it can run ray-tracing at very high speeds.

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts

It wasn't even using RSX, it was all Cell.l_The_DetoX_l

Its the Cell in PS3 that makes it the more Powerful console

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts

[QUOTE="machitocaliente"][QUOTE="l_The_DetoX_l"]Damn, the advantages of cell are awesome.l_The_DetoX_l

So you've played a game that's going to be released on April 24th for PS3? Interesting..., may I ask how? 

He's obviously the lead Dev........

Nah...

yuna707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 yuna707
Member since 2004 • 562 Posts
simulated ray tracing only... what a load of 4d 120 fps bs.  A quad core computer can render real tracing at 256 X 256 and like 10 fps. Don't make me a pull a link. More sony bs.
DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 DXGreat1_HGL
Member since 2003 • 7543 Posts
 I find it funny how cows will find any thread with technical jargon in it and act like they actually know what it's talking about...
Blue-Berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Blue-Berry
Member since 2006 • 145 Posts
The argument rages on: "We have teh power." "NO! We have the power"
tomertr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 tomertr
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts
and yet another multiplat splinter cell looks and plays worse on the ps3.... hmm.. intresting
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#71 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Wasn't Warhawk using Real-time Ray-tracing in the clouds? Look how that crap tastic game turned out.

Ray tracing is a joke.

AB_Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 AB_Uppercut
Member since 2007 • 1287 Posts
Only the fanboys wont admit PS3 is more powerful. I mean PS2 fans admitted the Xbox was more powerful back inthe days so why cant 360 fans admit the PS3 is more powerful this time, its not like having more power means you have won the console war. Remember its about THE GAMES !!!
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
[QUOTE="lowe0"]Because ray tracing is highly parallelizable floating point math, which is pretty much the only thing Cell is built for? How is that not completely obvious?

What he said.
HarryCrackage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 HarryCrackage
Member since 2004 • 1426 Posts

Only the fanboys wont admit PS3 is more powerful. I mean PS2 fans admitted the Xbox was more powerful back inthe days so why cant 360 fans admit the PS3 is more powerful this time, its not like having more power means you have won the console war. Remember its about THE GAMES !!!AB_Uppercut

I was just about to say the same thing...without bashing the lemmings, of course. The difference between the two consoles is minimal as far as power goes. I'm sure both will produce visually impressive games during their lifespans that will stoke fanboys into power debates for years.

AB_Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 AB_Uppercut

[QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"]Only the fanboys wont admit PS3 is more powerful. I mean PS2 fans admitted the Xbox was more powerful back inthe days so why cant 360 fans admit the PS3 is more powerful this time, its not like having more power means you have won the console war. Remember its about THE GAMES !!!HarryCrackage

I was just about to say the same thing...without bashing the lemmings, of course. The difference between the two consoles is minimal as far as power goes. I'm sure both will produce visually impressive games during their lifespans that will stoke fanboys into power debates for years.

umm minimal :?

360 GPU > PS3 GPU

PS3 CPU >>>>>>>>>> 360 CPU

overall winner: PS3 !!!

its true, oh and have you noticed that when Microsoft usually compares PS3 to 360 they always say that the difference is minimal. this is weird because last gen they were always like "teh xbox pwns PS2 in terms of power" but how come they are not doing it this time :? I'll tell you why, its because they know the PS3 is way more powerful and capable machine and you will see a major difference in PS3 and 360 games in the coming years, starting with MGS4 8)

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
and you will see a major difference in PS3 and 360 games in the coming years, starting with MGS4 AB_Uppercut
So, the PS3 is more powerful but we will just have to wait and see ?
HarryCrackage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 HarryCrackage
[QUOTE="HarryCrackage"]

[QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"]Only the fanboys wont admit PS3 is more powerful. I mean PS2 fans admitted the Xbox was more powerful back inthe days so why cant 360 fans admit the PS3 is more powerful this time, its not like having more power means you have won the console war. Remember its about THE GAMES !!!AB_Uppercut

360 GPU > PS3 GPU

its true, oh and have you noticed that when Microsoft usually compares PS3 to 360 they always say that the difference is minimal. this is weird because last gen they were always like "teh xbox pwns PS2 in terms of power" but how come they are not doing it this time :? I'll tell you why, its because they know the PS3 is way more powerful and capable machine and you will see a major difference in PS3 and 360 games in the coming years, starting with MGS4 8)

That may be true, but keep in mind that when the original Xbox released nothing the PS2 could offer was comparable to the games available on the Xbox. Halo and Dead or Alive 3 were obviously more impressive than anything on the PS2. This gen, the PS3 has yet to deliver anything that is obviously better than what is offered on the 360. That is why I believe the "minimal" claim stands. Down the road you could be correct. Right now, though, minimally better is rather accurate.

hunters0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 hunters0
Member since 2005 • 368 Posts
>Now obviously this was done using 3 PS3's but does it not make you fellow gamers wonder why they're not using 360's instead? I mean, 360's costs 200 dollars less than PS3's so why would they bother with the PS3 if they could save a few hundred bucks?

DaddyDC650

Cos IBM created the CELL or help create it so obviouly there gonna use that for testing new things, new proccessor there gonna do a lot of stuff with it!!

So that part is totaly pointless and has no logic!
AB_Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 AB_Uppercut
[QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"][QUOTE="HarryCrackage"]

[QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"]Only the fanboys wont admit PS3 is more powerful. I mean PS2 fans admitted the Xbox was more powerful back inthe days so why cant 360 fans admit the PS3 is more powerful this time, its not like having more power means you have won the console war. Remember its about THE GAMES !!!HarryCrackage

360 GPU > PS3 GPU

That may be true, but keep in mind that when the original Xbox released nothing the PS2 could offer was comparable to the games available on the Xbox. Halo and Dead or Alive 3 were obviously more impressive than anything on the PS2. This gen, the PS3 has yet to deliver anything that is obviously better than what is offered on the 360. That is why I believe the "minimal" claim stands. Down the road you could be correct. Right now, though, minimally better is rather accurate.

I completely disagree, although the Xbox was more powerful it came way too late to make an impact. PS2 already had GT3, MGS2, FF10, DMC, Jak and Daxter etc to combat anything the the xbox had.

PS3 is a reletively new console but by the end of the year it will start to flex its muscles. MGS4 will be the first true showcase of PS3's capabilities from a 3rd party developer, mostly it will be 1st/2nd party titles that will show the true power of PS3 at the beginning.

HarryCrackage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 HarryCrackage
[QUOTE="HarryCrackage"][QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"][QUOTE="HarryCrackage"]

[QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"]Only the fanboys wont admit PS3 is more powerful. I mean PS2 fans admitted the Xbox was more powerful back inthe days so why cant 360 fans admit the PS3 is more powerful this time, its not like having more power means you have won the console war. Remember its about THE GAMES !!!AB_Uppercut

360 GPU > PS3 GPU

I completely disagree, although the Xbox was more powerful it came way too late to make an impact. PS2 already had GT3, MGS2, FF10, DMC, Jak and Daxter etc to combat anything the the xbox had.

PS3 is a reletively new console but by the end of the year it will start to flex its muscles. MGS4 will be the first true showcase of PS3's capabilities from a 3rd party developer, mostly it will be 1st/2nd party titles that will show the true power of PS3 at the beginning.

I'm only talking about visuals, not sales. Obviously, nothing arrived on the original Xbox that made an impact in the PS2 sales. As far as the multiplats go, yes, they pretty much all looked better on the original Xbox. This gen, the difference between multiplats is much smaller. Maybe it will change down the road, but my point is that the difference was obvious last gen. Not so much this gen.

AB_Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 AB_Uppercut
[QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"][QUOTE="HarryCrackage"][QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"][QUOTE="HarryCrackage"]

360 GPU > PS3 GPU

I'm only talking about visuals, not sales. Obviously, nothing arrived on the original Xbox that made an impact in the PS2 sales. As far as the multiplats go, yes, they pretty much all looked better on the original Xbox. This gen, the difference between multiplats is much smaller. Maybe it will change down the road, but my point is that the difference was obvious last gen. Not so much this gen.

visually I found MGS2 and GT3 to be as good as Halo or DOA3 if not better but I do agree then most multiplatform titles were better on the xbox, except for MGS2 substance.

This gen 360 has an advantage of getting slightly better multiplatform titles because the developers are used to the 360's architecture since it came out a year + ago. Eventually developers will use PS3 as their lead platform for multiplatform titles, its already happening with Burnout 5 and Army of Two.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
Sony fanboys were posting this exact same crap before the PS3 launched... Now some 5 months later the PS3 is out and the graphics look no better (in some cases worse) than the 360's..  the proof is in the pudding my friend not some PR Hype talk..
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
Only the fanboys wont admit PS3 is more powerful. I mean PS2 fans admitted the Xbox was more powerful back inthe days so why cant 360 fans admit the PS3 is more powerful this time, its not like having more power means you have won the console war. Remember its about THE GAMES !!!AB_Uppercut
PS3 is more powerful in some aspects- ie floating point but with the Xbox vs Ps2 battle there was just no denying it- from day 1 Xbox games totally stomped all over PS2 games. With the PS3 & Xbox360 both consoles have some advantages over eachother- so its not as clear cut- if floating point performance is a clear indicator of performance then the CELL would beat probably any commercially available CPU right now. With the Xbox360 u have to consider things such as RAM , GPU & CPU both systems have 512MB total RAM- but Xbox 360 OS only uses up 32MB- while the PS3 uses up 96MB plus the Xbox360 also has 10MB EDRAM, with regards to the GPU the Xbox360 R500 is far more efficient than the RSX & has the EDRAM to work with etc. with regards to the CPU the CELL is the clear winner in floating point- but in general purpose processing the Xenon has 3 PPEs vs 1 PPE (plus the PPE in the Xenon are a bit more advanced than the single CELL PPE). the SPEs are not designed for general purpose processing- obviously a work around could be done but ud probably see a significant performance hit- not to mention the fact that less SPEs would be available for graphics- which is the strongpoint of the CELL. the PPE also has to control the SPEs which all have access to seperate memory which is a nightmare to program efficiently. also consider the OS- the PS3 OS takes up quite a lot of system resources- ur talking 96MB of RAM , 1 SPE plus an additional SPE if required. the X360 OS is much lighter- it only uses up 32Mb of RAM & uses timeslicing on 2 cores which works out to about 6% of cpu time. so on paper when u first look at it (atleast if u look at it from Sony's standpoint) the PS3 is a lot more powerful than X360- but in reality- its a close call- personally i think ull see that the PS3 will excel on games that uses its strength such as floating point where as the X360 will excel on games using its highly efficient GPU.
Viviath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84 Viviath
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
I don't really care since the graphics look about the same on both consoles, at least for the moment.Dragonblade01
speakth the truth u do.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
[QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"]Only the fanboys wont admit PS3 is more powerful. I mean PS2 fans admitted the Xbox was more powerful back inthe days so why cant 360 fans admit the PS3 is more powerful this time, its not like having more power means you have won the console war. Remember its about THE GAMES !!!CwlHeddwyn
PS3 is more powerful in some aspects- ie floating point but with the Xbox vs Ps2 battle there was just no denying it- from day 1 Xbox games totally stomped all over PS2 games. With the PS3 & Xbox360 both consoles have some advantages over eachother- so its not as clear cut- if floating point performance is a clear indicator of performance then the CELL would beat probably any commercially available CPU right now. With the Xbox360 u have to consider things such as RAM , GPU & CPU both systems have 512MB total RAM- but Xbox 360 OS only uses up 32MB- while the PS3 uses up 96MB plus the Xbox360 also has 10MB EDRAM, with regards to the GPU the Xbox360 R500 is far more efficient than the RSX & has the EDRAM to work with etc. with regards to the CPU the CELL is the clear winner in floating point- but in general purpose processing the Xenon has 3 PPEs vs 1 PPE (plus the PPE in the Xenon are a bit more advanced than the single CELL PPE). the SPEs are not designed for general purpose processing- obviously a work around could be done but ud probably see a significant performance hit- not to mention the fact that less SPEs would be available for graphics- which is the strongpoint of the CELL. the PPE also has to control the SPEs which all have access to seperate memory which is a nightmare to program efficiently. also consider the OS- the PS3 OS takes up quite a lot of system resources- ur talking 96MB of RAM , 1 SPE plus an additional SPE if required. the X360 OS is much lighter- it only uses up 32Mb of RAM & uses timeslicing on 2 cores which works out to about 6% of cpu time. so on paper when u first look at it (atleast if u look at it from Sony's standpoint) the PS3 is a lot more powerful than X360- but in reality- its a close call- personally i think ull see that the PS3 will excel on games that uses its strength such as floating point where as the X360 will excel on games using its highly efficient GPU.

He Speaketh teh truthz!
crunchy9178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86 crunchy9178
Member since 2004 • 305 Posts

lol what's funny is that you got a bunch of cows talking like experts after reading a spec sheet and a bunch of news articles... 

get some qualifications or show us a game and we'll believe you lol 

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

lol what's funny is that you got a bunch of cows talking like experts after reading a spec sheet and a bunch of news articles...

get some qualifications or show us a game and we'll believe you lol

crunchy9178
That's the problem they can't... All the cows have been doing since the PS3's inception is talking.. talking.. talking..
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

Ray tracing doesnt make a game look good. Whats so impressive about that?

Oh and BTW, with the Cell as powerful as it is...wouldnt it be bottlenecked by RSX? Immensly.  Its like a X6800 with a 7600GT, atleast thats what it looks like to me.

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts
Ray tracing is also done in 3Ds max :D
And Maya...

Moving onwards, do you know what ray tracing is ;) Its utter pants :P

Raytraced image *Rendered in 3Ds max*
*Raytrace can't use final Gather. Thus crap lighting...

Mental Ray image *Rendered in 3Ds max*
*Also used final Gather to get the lighting*
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#91 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts
Yeah another tech-demo at the time when E3 05 demos were still believed to be accurate representations of the games that were going to come out...
dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 dubvisions
Member since 2006 • 1815 Posts
It doesn't really look 75% better. I guess developers can do a good enough job faking those effects. I'd expect it to be rendering more than a single vehicle. Sort of makes PS3 look even worse than it does already for its price point.JiveT
I don't know if it makes it worse but I sure wasn't that impressed. It was one car. We've seen some real looking cars on GTHD. And then that's it. Just the car, sitting? That doesn't seem to complicated to me. One last thing. i'm pretty sure Sony has been working with IBM on the cell and blu-ray (I think). So, of course, IBM would use PS3's.
Taz-Bone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Taz-Bone
Member since 2004 • 1388 Posts
I'll believe it when games actually look better than the 360s
ktre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ktre
Member since 2005 • 1041 Posts
PS3 Real-time Ray-tracing

Quote:

"IBM Interactive Ray-tracer (iRT) using three Sony Playstation3s (PS3) to render a model that is 75x more complex then those used in today's games. Ray-tracing is the rendering technique used by the film industry and is considered to complex for today's game systems. The code was written using IBM Cell SDK 2.0 on Linux. The iRT is totally scalable and only requires one Cell SPE to run. More PS3s = More SPEs = Higher client frame rates. All images are at least 720p 4x multi-sampled, with dynamic light sources, procedurally generated atmosphere, and dynamic shadows"

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-33982.aspx

Now obviously this was done using 3 PS3's but does it not make you fellow gamers wonder why they're not using 360's instead? I mean, 360's costs 200 dollars less than PS3's so why would they bother with the PS3 if they could save a few hundred bucks?

DaddyDC650
Ever heard of Linux? Lol.. they are using the PS3 for the software architecture. It's IBM. IBM has always promoted/used linux. And if you knew anything at all about CGI or renders, you would know that Ray-tracing is NOT something you can do in real time. And you would also know it's something done on the CPU, and not the GPU. Also, one thing is to render ONE model, another is to render an entire SCENE in real time. Learn techs before you talk. :)
toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts
[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"]PS3 Real-time Ray-tracing

Quote:

"IBM Interactive Ray-tracer (iRT) using three Sony Playstation3s (PS3) to render a model that is 75x more complex then those used in today's games. Ray-tracing is the rendering technique used by the film industry and is considered to complex for today's game systems. The code was written using IBM Cell SDK 2.0 on Linux. The iRT is totally scalable and only requires one Cell SPE to run. More PS3s = More SPEs = Higher client frame rates. All images are at least 720p 4x multi-sampled, with dynamic light sources, procedurally generated atmosphere, and dynamic shadows"

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-33982.aspx

Now obviously this was done using 3 PS3's but does it not make you fellow gamers wonder why they're not using 360's instead? I mean, 360's costs 200 dollars less than PS3's so why would they bother with the PS3 if they could save a few hundred bucks?

ktre
Ever heard of Linux? Lol.. they are using the PS3 for the software architecture. It's IBM. IBM has always promoted/used linux. And if you knew anything at all about CGI or renders, you would know that Ray-tracing is NOT something you can do in real time. And you would also know it's something done on the CPU, and not the GPU. Also, one thing is to render ONE model, another is to render an entire SCENE in real time. Learn techs before you talk. :)

Huzzar! Not only that, but Raytracing looks pants....Only because it does what it says. TRACE!
ASKLEIPIOS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ASKLEIPIOS
Member since 2006 • 44 Posts

they used 3 ps3's to create a car model that is not that much better

than 360's tes:unlimited.The cpu alone doesn't make a strong console

it also needs astrong gpu,ram and stuff like that and you know that

xenos>rsx all the way plus if i need i can have more ram than ps3.

and its not like that cell>>>>>>>>>xenos,in most situations its

like cell=xenon ,in some cell>xenon and in some xenon>cell but its

allways xenos>rsx  so overall 360>ps3

madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts
I don't care about statistics I care about games. This is where the ps3 has yet to show its worth. It doesn't help when you keep losing all of your "exclusives" either.
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts
Raytracing and realtime don't mix, its a nice rendering solution (great for film and cgi) but its setup cost will run most peoples wallets completely dry and its application for gaming is just stupid at best. Sure there are people in europe and russia working with the technology to try make a realtime running playable application but none have even come close to pulling it off. Why? Because it can render graphics far above the cut today but the second you actually start to move all those nice graphics the processors have to do extra work and simply crash whatever the two dozen or more setups they are running off. If that car had of been moving and being played by that guy then it would have been impressive but to show it off like that, ha. You could do the same thing with x360 linked together running linux (if it was possible) its not something they should have boosted about.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Call me when someone has a thread about PS3 games being dropped off at stores for people to buy. Is the PS3 more powerful than the 360? Sure, wtf, lets say its at least x2Bill Cosby more powerful than the 360. Is this extra power doing anyone a damn bit of good atm? No, its not. Tech threads are the worst threads on this entire forum, I would rather read the next manifesto from PS3_FTW than the most accurate tech thread around. Most people want games from their game systems not the smug self satisfying satisfaction that their system does 10% more g-flops than a rival system. I'm not saying the PS3 sux I think it will at some point be a great system I'm just saying tech threads make me want to puke.

Redfingers

The point is not that it performs "10% better" than rival systems, it's that it absolutely blows everything out of the water in any of these technical demonstrations. We're talking multiple times better than anything it's been put up against. That's why there's a point to it. The concept is that the PS3 has absolutely limitless potential.

Hold up, let me call EB and see if I can put "potential" on reserve yet.
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

why does all bovine "proof" involve theoritical maximum, paper performance, and "analysis" but no actual examples.... ?

hmmm....

meanwhile, multiplat games look better on the 360... interesting..

Â