PS3 Blu-ray, not what Sony hyped?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 the1stmoonfly
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-38503.aspx

If this is true its more evidence of Sony not be copmpletely honest in an attempt to make themselves seem that much better. I didnt get a 360 HD add-on because of the fact it doesnt support true HD sound and it was one reason I was looking at getting a PS3, but now its just one more reason crossed of the list.

Why cant they just be honest with me.

Anyway, I thought i'd see what you guys make of it.

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
Playstation 3 is now officially worthless. Cheapest Bluray player my ass.
Hadoken_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hadoken_Kid
Member since 2006 • 1770 Posts

hmmm...

the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the1stmoonfly
Lilac_Benjie super sheepTnasty11
Lol, I must admit he doesnt seem the most impartial person around here.
Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Uptown
Member since 2002 • 10348 Posts

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/05/08/no-dolby-truehd-or-dts-hd-for-ps3-owners/

He just edited the article at the bottom....and Why dont you read the comments ;)

So much for this. 

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts

[QUOTE="Tnasty11"]Lilac_Benjie super sheepthe1stmoonfly

Actually I've owned everything from Commodore systems, to Atari systems, Nintendo systems, Sega systems, Microsoft systems, and even Sony systems.

I just don't like Sony.

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 D_Znuhtz
Member since 2004 • 2276 Posts

[QUOTE="Tnasty11"]Lilac_Benjie super sheepthe1stmoonfly

On the contrary, he's one of the bigger and more obvious fanboys on these boards.

N4G is a really reliable source, they're so impartial and reliable. I bet all of their contributors are completely qualified and know the ins and outs of the business :roll:

Lemmings are grasping at straws now aren't they? 

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 D_Znuhtz

[QUOTE="the1stmoonfly"][QUOTE="Tnasty11"]Lilac_Benjie super sheepLilac_Benjie

Actually I've owned everything from Commodore systems, to Atari systems, Nintendo systems, Sega systems, Microsoft systems, and even Sony systems.

I just don't like Sony. They crap over their fanbase too much.

You could pick a million other arguments and I would have to give you some credit, but this one doesn't work. Microsoft ***** on its customers like its an addiction. Bash the price, the games, the controller, whatever, but when you make the argument that Sony treats its customers poorly and Microsoft doesn't, you're confused.  

Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts

Lilac_Benjie got pwned

When the PS3 hit the street it was recognized as one of the most full featured Blu-ray players to date, but it seem now that PS3 owners aren't getting everything they though they were. It has recently been uncovered that although the PS3 does have an HDMI 1.3 port, it does not support bit stream audio. What this means for Blu-ray fans is that when they finally pick up one of those new Onkyo receivers with HDMI 1.3, that they still can't enjoy Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD because there is no way to get the bits out of the PS3. Of course the DTS track can still be down mixed and PCM audio is supported, but so much for being the most capable Blu-ray player available.

** Dolby TrueHD can still be decoded inside the PS3 and sent as uncompressed audio to the AV receiver, but if the AV receiver has an integrated decoder it can't be used instead of the PS3's decoder. **

the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the1stmoonfly

He just edited the article at the bottom....and Why dont you read the comments ;)

So much for this. 

Uptown
I did read it, but like the scaleing issue, its one more thing that sony seemed to have overlooked and not told anyone about, It doesnt really affect me son its not that big a deal as far as im concerned anyway, but fair comment.
Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Uptown
Member since 2002 • 10348 Posts

Lilac_Benjie got pwned

When the PS3 hit the street it was recognized as one of the most full featured Blu-ray players to date, but it seem now that PS3 owners aren't getting everything they though they were. It has recently been uncovered that although the PS3 does have an HDMI 1.3 port, it does not support bit stream audio. What this means for Blu-ray fans is that when they finally pick up one of those new Onkyo receivers with HDMI 1.3, that they still can't enjoy Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD because there is no way to get the bits out of the PS3. Of course the DTS track can still be down mixed and PCM audio is supported, but so much for being the most capable Blu-ray player available.

** Dolby TrueHD can still be decoded inside the PS3 and sent as uncompressed audio to the AV receiver, but if the AV receiver has an integrated decoder it can't be used instead of the PS3's decoder. **

Tnasty11

in other words the PS3 does what this article initially said it couldnt before he edited it. Thread Over as i said earlier. 

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

My PS3 does everything Sony said it would.

*shrug*

Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rosencrantz
Member since 2003 • 8148 Posts

If this is true its more evidence of Sony not be copmpletely honest in an attempt to make themselves seem that much better. I didnt get a 360 HD add-on because of the fact it doesnt support true HD sound and it was one reason I was looking at getting a PS3, but now its just one more reason crossed of the list.

the1stmoonfly

This may be an odd explanation, but...

I recently bought the latest NIN Live DVD, which is also available on HD-DVD and BR.  I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on any content before I bought the DVD version, so I went to the NIN website and there are pages of faq on the differences in the disks and what each disk offers.

The tech faq specifically states that BR players and the PS3 are capable of outputting dobly TrueHD audio so long as you use the HDMI cables. 

This may sound odd, as I've said, but when it comes to having an insane affection for top quality audio, I've never seen anybody pushing the line like Trent Reznor.  If he says that BR through a PS3 will do true HD then I believe it more than some website who publishes a story saying "we don't know" without first doing a little research.  Who runs such a speculative story like that anyway?

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 D_Znuhtz
[QUOTE="the1stmoonfly"]

Rosencrantz

This may be an odd explanation, but...

I recently bought the latest NIN Live DVD, which is also available on HD-DVD and BR. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on any content before I bought the DVD version, so I went to the NIN website and there are pages of faq on the differences in the disks and what each disk offers.

The tech faq specifically states that BR players and the PS3 are capable of outputting dobly TrueHD audio so long as you use the HDMI cables.

This may sound odd, as I've said, but when it comes to having an insane affection for top quality audio, I've never seen anybody pushing the line like Trent Reznor. If he says that BR through a PS3 will do true HD then I believe it more than some website who publishes a story saying "we don't know" without first doing a little research. Who runs such a speculative story like that anyway?

A garbage blog-cum-gamesite like N4G. Its easy to say what you want when you have no journalistic credibility to squander. On another note, NIN pwn. I want to see Trent and Manson work together again.  

lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

Look at the story comments.

I currently run the PS3 into my Sony home theater system,and
I'm getting True HD sound. It says it on the damn receiver even!
Does anyone verify anything here when they post? All you have to do
is look at the linked article, and it totaly disclaims this article!
Proving the point whoever wrote this doesn't have a clue!

You mean DTS-HD Master Audio. And yes, the ps3 has HDMI 1.3 compatible hardware, but it will only be true HDMI 1.3 after a firmware update to actually use it. They can add support for DTS-HD MA by then too, but currently no receivers support this and the number of discs that have it is minimal.

And quality wise, PCM and DTS are the same, space taken is the only diffence, as DTS uses lossless compression.

jxditu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jxditu
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts

*shrug*

Bread_or_Decide

lol so you must be playing games with  120fps and 4D graphics then huh? jk btw

the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the1stmoonfly
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

*shrug*

jxditu

lol so you must be playing games with  120fps and 4D graphics then huh? jk btw

I was thinking the very same thing but wasnt going to say, thanks for taking any resulting critisisms for me, :)