PS1 games + PS2 games = PS2's Game Library?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
A man walks into a brand new library state of the art full of thousands and thousands of books, he can buy any book he wants, he can read any book he wants but some books don´t belong to the library cause they weren´t made with this brand new library in mind? Does that make any sense at all?
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 GoldenGlove
Member since 2002 • 4699 Posts

[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]The PC is a neat example of this concept b/c it happens inherently with gaming PCs. Everytime you upgrade it's usually to be able to play something new that wasn't possible on your old hardware. Yet, when you upgrade doyou expect to lose the ability to play previous titles? No. You expect you hardware to have backwards compatibility with previously released titles. Here we have PC's pulling off BC all the time, and yet the PC library despite being huge is considered a single entity.StealthSting

Yes, but by definition the PC itself is not considered to be a different platform from itself when it comes to gaming, nor does it define itself from different generations when it comes to gaming... since well it does not have a solid base to do so, since most of it's era can only be definied individually or in a subjective way... What I'm trying to say is, can you give me the name that specifies the generation the PC platform is going through right now? Or the last one?..... Meh I'll respond to that poll by using the paper and scissors game :lol: ...

What does generation have to do with this topic? And PC has nothing to do with this either. I'm talking about consoles. And for the PS2's library it consists of PS1 titles and PS2's.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#53 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]The PC is a neat example of this concept b/c it happens inherently with gaming PCs. Everytime you upgrade it's usually to be able to play something new that wasn't possible on your old hardware. Yet, when you upgrade doyou expect to lose the ability to play previous titles? No. You expect you hardware to have backwards compatibility with previously released titles. Here we have PC's pulling off BC all the time, and yet the PC library despite being huge is considered a single entity.StealthSting

Yes, but by definition the PC itself is not considered to be a different platform from itself when it comes to gaming, nor does it define itself from different generations when it comes to gaming... since well it does not have a solid base to do so, since most of it's era can only be definied individually or in a subjective way... What I'm trying to say is, can you give me the name that specifies the generation the PC platform is going through right now? Or the last one?..... Meh I'll respond to that poll by using the paper and scissors game :lol: ...

I agree there is no definitive generations, however, my intent was not to bring that into the conversation. I'm merely pointing out that different hardware can have one continuous library via backwards compatibility. Sure PCs are a different beast, but as time goes on the difference between the two narrows.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 GoldenGlove

I say "YES" because I think it's a part of the library because you can buy a PS1-game just to play it on your PS2. But if we think like this we should also reconsider that the gamecube library is a part of the Wii-library, just as every VC-game out there. The same goes with the 360 and XBOX.Cyberfairy

Yes, you are completely right.

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts
Yes, but how am I wrong? The PS2 plays PS1 games and PS2 games. It doesn't matter what people think about when you say "PS2 library". GoldenGlove
l'm not denying it plays both PS1 and PS2 games. And since there is no dictionary definition and never will be, unless Sony says what specifically is and isn't the PS2 gaming library, the only logical conclusion is that we go with whatever the majority opinion is. And the majority opinion is obviously that the PS2 library means PS2 games, not PS1 games.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 -RPGamer-

[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]Yes, but how am I wrong? The PS2 plays PS1 games and PS2 games. It doesn't matter what people think about when you say "PS2 library". Gallion-Beast
l'm not denying it plays both PS1 and PS2 games. And since there is no dictionary definition and never will be, unless Sony says what specifically is and isn't the PS2 gaming library, the only logical conclusion is that we go with whatever the majority opinion is. And the majority opinion is obviously that the PS2 library means PS2 games, not PS1 games.

Majority rules is a flawed concept. And if you are going to fall back on that than I don't see how you speak for the majority, nor do I see a definition yet of what our concensus is.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 GoldenGlove

[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]Yes, but how am I wrong? The PS2 plays PS1 games and PS2 games. It doesn't matter what people think about when you say "PS2 library". Gallion-Beast

Why do we need a definition for what a library of something is? Yes there are PS1 games... and yes there are PS2 games. The PS1 has it's own library of games, but the PS2 has it's collection of games as well as the PS1 games to choose from. That's where the debate is over.

And a library by definition is a collection of things. That's why when you go to one, you have access to newspaper articles, books, magazines, computers with databases etc. Now it's the same thing with the PS2. Just because everything isn't the SAME format in a library doesn't mean that it's not apart of the library. I cannot explain this any simpler.

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Gallion-Beast
A man walks into a brand new library state of the art full of thousands and thousands of books, he can buy any book he wants, he can read any book he wants but some books don´t belong to the library cause they weren´t made with this brand new library in mind? Does that make any sense at all?Eddie-Vedder
A library has to close a section of the building down due to lack of funding. Many non fiction books are moved into the fiction section because there is nowhere else to put them. You may now get non fiction books from the fiction section. Does that make the non fiction book fiction or do they stay as non-fiction?
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#60 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
[QUOTE="OGTiago"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="Bluestorm-Kalas"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="SpecialForcesOp"]

Hell no PS1 games = PS1 Libary

PS2 = PS2 Libary

PS3 = PS3 Libary.

Eddie-Vedder

A library is defined as a collection of things at your disposal to use. Sony made the PS2 with the PS1 in mind, so they made the console fully BC with all the PS1 games. So why shouldn't those games count as a part of PS2's library when you can play them all on one console?

You're in System Wars, don't even bother using logic.

Yes I know, but it seems like people love the SNES so much that they'll strongly disagree with me feeling that the PS2 has a better list of games to play for it. They don't want PS1 games to be counted toward the PS2's library for fanboy reasons in my opinion.

WTF, you are the one bringing this up. And in short, no; ps2's library are games made for ps2. BC doesn't count seeing as the games weren't made specifically for the ps2.

omg this thread is killing me, so I can play the games on the ps2 but there not a part of the game library? When sony launched the ps2 and the ps3 for that matter didn´t they say it had a library of games x big I don´t remember the exact figure but they were refering to the ps1 and ps2 games also, BC is made so the games move onto the next platform making an even bigger library.

precisely. I am not denying that ps2 can play ps1 games. Hoever this is the ps2's library:

http://uk.gamespot.com/games.html?type=games&platform=7&mode=all&sort=views&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Eddie-Vedder

What´s this? It´s a Definition! =O

4.library - (computing) a collection of standard programs and subroutines that are stored and available for immediate use.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 GoldenGlove
Also the poll is just to measure what people think. Or if people agree with me. It doesn't mean that whatever is in the lead is correct or not. You saying that we have to go buy the poll's stats isn't correct. And it is also implying that if the poll was reversed right now that your opinion would change, which is obviously not true.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 -RPGamer-

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]A man walks into a brand new library state of the art full of thousands and thousands of books, he can buy any book he wants, he can read any book he wants but some books don´t belong to the library cause they weren´t made with this brand new library in mind? Does that make any sense at all?Gallion-Beast
A library has to close a section of the building down due to lack of funding. Many non fiction books are moved into the fiction section because there is nowhere else to put them. You may now get non fiction books from the fiction section. Does that make the non fiction book fiction or do they stay as non-fiction?

Are we assuming that they some how don't have the ability to rename a section?

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Eddie-Vedder

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]A man walks into a brand new library state of the art full of thousands and thousands of books, he can buy any book he wants, he can read any book he wants but some books don´t belong to the library cause they weren´t made with this brand new library in mind? Does that make any sense at all?Gallion-Beast

The continue to be non fiction books but they are now a part of the fiction section the fiction library. a ps1 game is a ps1 game but as long as it´s playable on the ps2 it´s part of it´s library.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 GoldenGlove

[QUOTE="Gallion-Beast"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]A man walks into a brand new library state of the art full of thousands and thousands of books, he can buy any book he wants, he can read any book he wants but some books don´t belong to the library cause they weren´t made with this brand new library in mind? Does that make any sense at all?-RPGamer-

His analogy is so far skewed that it is quite interesting just wondering what the hell he was thinking about when he wrote it. First of all the PS2 isn't going to lose the ability to play PS1 games ever, so what was the point of making an example of a library losing space for books and having to put them in a different section? I don't see ANY correlation with the topic of discussion. You are so stuck on the PS1 GAME and PS2 GAME part of this topic... but nobody called PS1 games PS2 games. I simply said that they are apart of the PS2's library.

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Gallion-Beast

[QUOTE="Gallion-Beast"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]Yes, but how am I wrong? The PS2 plays PS1 games and PS2 games. It doesn't matter what people think about when you say "PS2 library". -RPGamer-

Majority rules is a flawed concept. And if you are going to fall back on that than I don't see how you speak for the majority, nor do I see a definition yet of what our concensus is.

Care to name a better way of deciding this then? And l was refering to that fact that the pole agrees with me [QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]Why do we need a definition for what a library of something is? Yes there are PS1 games... and yes there are PS2 games. The PS1 has it's own library of games, but the PS2 has it's collection of games as well as the PS1 games to choose from. That's where the debate is over. And a library by definition is a collection of things. That's why when you go to one, you have access to newspaper articles, books, magazines, computers with databases etc. Now it's the same thing with the PS2. Just because everything isn't the SAME format in a library doesn't mean that it's not apart of the library. I cannot explain this any simpler.

You don't need to explain your point of view more clearly, l understand it. However that is not the same thign as having to agree with it.

[QUOTE="Gallion-Beast"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]A man walks into a brand new library state of the art full of thousands and thousands of books, he can buy any book he wants, he can read any book he wants but some books don´t belong to the library cause they weren´t made with this brand new library in mind? Does that make any sense at all?-RPGamer-

They closed down a section due to lack of funding. Let's assume they'd need to buy a new ladder they can't afford to take the sing down. But this has gone beyond being worht debating for debates sake, so l'll just give in.
His analogy is so far skewed that it is quite interesting just wondering what the hell he was thinking about when he wrote it.GoldenGlove
lf you must know, l was thinking that philosophical analagies dont' prove anything, as they can be applied to almost anything. So l gave one that contradicted Eddie-Vedder's analogy.
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#67 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts

People have said so much BS, nothing makes sense anymore.

The answer No wins. /thread

rikkustrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 rikkustrife
Member since 2006 • 1174 Posts

Yes because I didn't play all PS1 games in that generation and I can play them on my PS2 and Iplay old playstation games all the time. And when I get a PS3 I'll still want to play my favorite PS2 games.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

What does generation have to do with this topic? And PC has nothing to do with this either. I'm talking about consoles. And for the PS2's library it consists of PS1 titles and PS2's.

GoldenGlove

It does in the way that consoles are differently defined by their respective generations. So I don't see anything wrong with people defining a library of a console or a game by their respective generations as well. If somebody approached me and asked: How was the quality of the library of the PS2? If PS2 meant as a single generation for me period and if I took the question as such, why would that be incorrect?

So it all boils down to: I agree with you, but I ultimately disagree with you when you say that the ones that don't are incorrect or that their responces to your thread are false. Since they are basing a library of a console, by its respective generation. They are simply defining the word "library" in a different manner from yours.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 -RPGamer-

Too many quotes read the top section.

How doI think we should decide? Seems like the definition provided leans for the fact that PSX games should be included in the library of PS2. Games are nothing but programs, and the PS2 can run said programs. Hence part of overall library. And further more online polls aren't exactly the most concrete reference to use.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]

StealthSting

It does in the way that consoles are differently defined by their respective generations. So I don't see anything wrong with people defining a library of a console or a game by their respective generations as well. If somebody approached me and asked: How was the quality of the library of the PS2? If PS2 meant as a single generation for me period and if I took the question as such, why would that be incorrect?

So it all boils down to: I agree with you, but I ultimately disagree with you when you say that the ones that don't are incorrect or that their responces to your thread are false. Since they are basing a library of a console, by its respective generation. They are simply defining the word "library" in a different manner from yours.

Good post

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 GoldenGlove

lf you must know, l was thinking that philosophical analagies dont' prove anything, as they can be applied to almost anything. So l gave one that contradicted Eddie-Vedder's analogy.Gallion-Beast

Okay, but I was just pointing out that your analogy didn't apply well to the topic of the thread.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 -RPGamer-

OGTiago

What a compelling argument to contribute.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="OGTiago"]

-RPGamer-

What a compelling argument to contribute.

:lol:

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Eddie-Vedder
Here are a couple more definitions
  1. A collection of recorded data or tapes arranged for ease of use.
  2. A set of things similar to a library in appearance, function, or organization: a library of computer programs.
  3. A collection of such materials, especially when systematically arranged.
I think the definitions backs up the yes answer, it doesn´t matter why or for what they were made.