PS1 games + PS2 games = PS2's Game Library?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GoldenGlove
Member since 2002 • 4699 Posts

I need some additional information from some gamers on here. I need to know if you feel like the PS2's game library consists of both the PS1 games and the PS2 titles.

The reason for this thread is for another board that I'm on. I made a thread asking which console has the best gaming library of all time. I picked the PS2 because you have all the PS1 games and PS2 games to choose from. But others say that it's not fair to say that. Am I wrong? So the PS1 games don't count toward the PS2's library? That's news to me.

Avatar image for SpecialForcesOp
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SpecialForcesOp
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

Hell no PS1 games = PS1 Libary

PS2 = PS2 Libary

PS3 = PS3 Libary.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
I think the PS2 has a good enough library to hold its own.
thejakel11225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 thejakel11225
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts
ofcourse not, ps1 games are ps1 games, ps2 games are ps2 games, thats it. its like considering the Wii's virtual console games part of the Wii's library.
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GoldenGlove

PS2 = PS2 Libary

PS3 = PS3 Libary.

SpecialForcesOp

A library is defined as a collection of things at your disposal to use. Sony made the PS2 with the PS1 in mind, so they made the console fully BC with all the PS1 games. So why shouldn't those games count as a part of PS2's library when you can play them all on one console?

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
You are on shaky ground there my friend. You could force the argument but I wouldn't risk it. You might end up regretting it for the rest of your life.
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GoldenGlove

ofcourse not, ps1 games are ps1 games, ps2 games are ps2 games, thats it. its like considering the Wii's virtual console games part of the Wii's library.thejakel11225

The Wii's virtual console games are a part of the Wii's library since you can play them with a Wii.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GoldenGlove

You are on shaky ground there my friend. You could force the argument but I wouldn't risk it. You might end up regretting it for the rest of your life.JiveT

So do you agree with what I'm saying?

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JiveT

[QUOTE="JiveT"]You are on shaky ground there my friend. You could force the argument but I wouldn't risk it. You might end up regretting it for the rest of your life.GoldenGlove

In spirit yes. I was the idiot that voted Yes in the poll. But if I took it to court I don't know what would happen.

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts
l don't think so, however in terms of buying a new console BC counts towards the games you should take into consideration.
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
This thread is making little sense to me... So what your trying to say is... you think PS1 games are part of the PS2 libary because PS2 is backwards compatible with PS1 games... So I guess then XBOX games are apart of XBOX360s libary... and nes, snes, genesis, N64 and GC games are part of the Wiis libary.... Erm what is the point of this thread again?
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]

[QUOTE="JiveT"]You are on shaky ground there my friend. You could force the argument but I wouldn't risk it. You might end up regretting it for the rest of your life.JiveT

In spirit yes. I was the idiot that voted Yes in the poll. But if I took it to court I don't know what would happen.

In my opinion it's really common sense that the PS2's library consists of the PS1's as well. If they made the PS2 so that it only played PS2 games then of course you could say that they are separate libraries. But with the way it is now, the libraries are merged for you to play all the games on the PS2. It's really not that hard to see. Just like the PS3's library is PS3+PS2+PS1 games.

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts
[QUOTE="SpecialForcesOp"]

PS2 = PS2 Libary

PS3 = PS3 Libary.

GoldenGlove

A library is defined as a collection of things at your disposal to use. Sony made the PS2 with the PS1 in mind, so they made the console fully BC with all the PS1 games. So why shouldn't those games count as a part of PS2's library when you can play them all on one console?

You're in System Wars, don't even bother using logic.
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GoldenGlove

This thread is making little sense to me... So what your trying to say is... you think PS1 games are part of the PS2 libary because PS2 is backwards compatible with PS1 games... So I guess then XBOX games are apart of XBOX360s libary... and nes, snes, genesis, N64 and GC games are part of the Wiis libary.... Erm what is the point of this thread again?Dahaka-UK

Exactly what I'm saying. However the 360 wasn't built to play ALL of the old Xbox1 games like the PS2 and PS3 were to play the previous consoles games. But none the less some Xbox1 games are a part of the 360's library.

Glad to see more people use common sense with the question.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="SpecialForcesOp"]

PS2 = PS2 Libary

PS3 = PS3 Libary.

Bluestorm-Kalas

Yes I know, but it seems like people love the SNES so much that they'll strongly disagree with me feeling that the PS2 has a better list of games to play for it. They don't want PS1 games to be counted toward the PS2's library for fanboy reasons in my opinion.

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gallion-Beast
[QUOTE="JiveT"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]

[QUOTE="JiveT"]You are on shaky ground there my friend. You could force the argument but I wouldn't risk it. You might end up regretting it for the rest of your life.GoldenGlove

In my opinion it's really common sense that the PS2's library consists of the PS1's as well. If they made the PS2 so that it only played PS2 games then of course you could say that they are separate libraries. But with the way it is now, the libraries are merged for you to play all the games on the PS2. It's really not that hard to see. Just like the PS3's library is PS3+PS2+PS1 games.

Libraries are used to judge a console's individual worth for gamers that already game. lf l got a PS3 and it's library was as big and great as all PS1+PS2+currently existing PS3 games put together, it'd be the most badass console in the world. But since l'm a gamer and l already have PS1+PS2 games and consoles that can play them, it doesn't add to the library for me.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

Sure, a library consists of what the system is capable of playing. The reason people don't want to go along with this idea, is b/c it essentially voids out many previous consoles.

What's better a PSX or a PS2?

PS2 easily. You get the PSX content and that generations content as well.

What's better a Wii or GC?

Wii easily. You get the GC content and slowly a growing library of many previous gen consoles.

So on and so forth.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="JiveT"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]

[QUOTE="JiveT"]You are on shaky ground there my friend. You could force the argument but I wouldn't risk it. You might end up regretting it for the rest of your life.Gallion-Beast

Libraries are used to judge a console's individual worth for gamers that already game. lf l got a PS3 and it's library was as big and great as all PS1+PS2+currently existing PS3 games put together, it'd be the most badass console in the world. But since l'm a gamer and l already have PS1+PS2 games and consoles that can play them, it doesn't add to the library for me.

But that's not the point if it's adding to the library to YOU so to speak. That's not sayin' that its not adding to somebody else. I'm sure everybody didn't have every game for PS2 or PS1 that was great. So if they bought a PS3 and missed out on a PS2 game they have the luxury of going out and buying that game and enjoying it. (now in 1080p).

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GoldenGlove

Sure, a library consists of what the system is capable of playing. The reason people don't want to go along with this idea, is b/c it essentially voids out many previous consoles.

Wii easily. You get the GC content and slowly a growing library of many previous gen consoles.

So on and so forth.

-RPGamer-

Thank you sir.

Common sense isn't really that common

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gallion-Beast
But that's not the point if it's adding to the library to YOU so to speak. That's not sayin' that its not adding to somebody else. I'm sure everybody didn't have every game for PS2 or PS1 that was great. So if they bought a PS3 and missed out on a PS2 game they have the luxury of going out and buying that game and enjoying it. (now in 1080p).GoldenGlove
lf they missed out on a PS2 game, they could buy it for PS2. A consoles library in terms of comparing it to other consoles is what it brings new to the table.
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GoldenGlove

[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]But that's not the point if it's adding to the library to YOU so to speak. That's not sayin' that its not adding to somebody else. I'm sure everybody didn't have every game for PS2 or PS1 that was great. So if they bought a PS3 and missed out on a PS2 game they have the luxury of going out and buying that game and enjoying it. (now in 1080p).Gallion-Beast
lf they missed out on a PS2 game, they could buy it for PS2. A consoles library in terms of comparing it to other consoles is what it brings new to the table.

No, a console's library consists of what games are compatible with it. So you disguard old games because it's not new? That doesn't make sense at all because I'm sure a lot of people didn't play every game that they wanted to so in actuallity it is new to them anyway.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

So on and so forth.

GoldenGlove

Thank you sir.

Common sense isn't really that common

The poll stats clearly prove that people don't have common sense with this topic.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
Ofc it counts you can play the games on the ps2 so the games are in it´s library.
Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gallion-Beast

[QUOTE="Gallion-Beast"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]But that's not the point if it's adding to the library to YOU so to speak. That's not sayin' that its not adding to somebody else. I'm sure everybody didn't have every game for PS2 or PS1 that was great. So if they bought a PS3 and missed out on a PS2 game they have the luxury of going out and buying that game and enjoying it. (now in 1080p).GoldenGlove

No, a console's library consists of what games are compatible with it. So you disguard old games because it's not new? That doesn't make sense at all because I'm sure a lot of people didn't play every game that they wanted to so in actuallity it is new to them anyway.

But it's still a PS2/PS1 game, the fact that they have a PS3 as well doesn't change anything if they can already play it. Would you list all DVDs as part of the HD-DVD library because HD-DVD players can also play DVDs?
Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gallion-Beast
The poll stats clearly prove that people don't have common sense with this topic.GoldenGlove
Correction, the pole merely states that people disagree with you. Claiming that anyone who disagrees with you doesn't have common sense just makes you look arrogant and foolish
Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gallion-Beast
*****JiveT
Delete that fast, l would of mentioned it but it'll get you a suspension.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JiveT
I'm totally against that stuff. But OK.
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

I guess you might be right in saying PS1 games are part of PS2 games libary because you can play PS1 games on a PS2... but thats doesn't change the fact that they are still only PS1 games and older gen games and I doubt many peoples decisions back then to buying a PS2 where based off knowing you could play PS1 games aswell, people wanted next gen games, the PS2 games.. Same now, you wouldn't buy a PS3 just to play older gen games, you'd buy it to play next gen games I would think...

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StealthSting

Still, if you consider them to be different platforms, I don't see why someone should not consider them to have different libraries. When you talk about a game from a specific era, you specify the console it was on. I would doubt anybody in here would direct a game like Chrono Cross as a PS2 game... At least before you made this thread. If this was the case, then I would say: PS1 library + the PS2 library= can be played on the PS2.

In any case, this is one of those weird situations that only seems to fit the gaming front. Books and movies cannot be specified in different generations or at least in the same vein as games are. So what I'm trying to say is..... that when it comes to gaming it's preatty much pointless, since its many definitions are used to refer to its different meanings.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts
The PC is a neat example of this concept b/c it happens inherently with gaming PCs. Everytime you upgrade it's usually to be able to play something new that wasn't possible on your old hardware. Yet, when you upgrade doyou expect to lose the ability to play previous titles? No. You expect you hardware to have backwards compatibility with previously released titles. Here we have PC's pulling off BC all the time, and yet the PC library despite being huge is considered a single entity.
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GoldenGlove

I'll give you people an example of why I feel like PS1 games are apart of the PS2's library.

Say for instance you have a database online containing specific information(PS1), okay then you have another database that gives you access to the original database and additionalinformation. (PS2)

With this being the case, the first database is actually a part of the second one, because you can access of it's information there. I hope you can understand what I'm saying.

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gallion-Beast
I'm totally against that stuff. But OK.JiveT
The mods don't care, if you mention it, and it's illegal (which it obviously is) you can get suspended for it
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Eddie-Vedder
I´m shocked at these people answering no, how hell don´t the games count? They are playable on the ps2 so they are part of the ps2´s library, they aren´t ps2 games but they are part of the ps2 library.
Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gallion-Beast
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]>I'll give you people an example of why I feel like PS1 games are apart of the PS2's library. Say for instance you have a database online containing specific information(PS1), okay then you have another database that gives you access to the original database and additional information. (PS2) With this being the case, the first database is actually a part of the second one, because you can access of it's information there. I hope you can understand what I'm saying.

The database metaphor doesn't work because facts aren't designed for a database but games are designed for specific consoles.
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GoldenGlove

I guess you might be right in saying PS1 games are part of PS2 games libary because you can play PS1 games on a PS2... but thats doesn't change the fact that they are still only PS1 games and older gen games and I doubt many peoples decisions back then to buying a PS2 where based off knowing you could play PS1 games aswell, people wanted next gen games, the PS2 games.. Same now, you wouldn't buy a PS3 just to play older gen games, you'd buy it to play next gen games I would think...

Dahaka-UK

You are missing the point. My point is that you can access those games on the current console thus for it's a part of the consoles overall library. It doesn't matter if people don't buy it for older games or not, the fact is that they can still play them on it.

I plan on buying quite a few PS2 games to play on my PS3 now actually. So your statement isn't as true as you may think.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GoldenGlove

The PC is a neat example of this concept b/c it happens inherently with gaming PCs. Everytime you upgrade it's usually to be able to play something new that wasn't possible on your old hardware. Yet, when you upgrade doyou expect to lose the ability to play previous titles? No. You expect you hardware to have backwards compatibility with previously released titles. Here we have PC's pulling off BC all the time, and yet the PC library despite being huge is considered a single entity.-RPGamer-

Exactly...

The same thing can be said about consoles.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GoldenGlove

[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]>I'll give you people an example of why I feel like PS1 games are apart of the PS2's library. Say for instance you have a database online containing specific information(PS1), okay then you have another database that gives you access to the original database and additional information. (PS2) With this being the case, the first database is actually a part of the second one, because you can access of it's information there. I hope you can understand what I'm saying.Gallion-Beast
The database metaphor doesn't work because facts aren't designed for a database but games are designed for specific consoles.

True, but the database was made for you to have access to the previous one. Just like the PS2. Sony purposely made the console BC and they didn't have to do that. Same with the PS3.

The 360's hardware is an example of a company NOT keeping it's previous console's titles in mind when they made the console. That's why all of the Xbox1 games aren't compatible with the 360.

I didn't say they weren't PS1 games, I just said they are apart of the PS2's library. It's really not that hard to understand.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Eddie-Vedder

Amazing how much sony hate you find on this board, everyone knows the games are a part of the ps2´s library, but that means the ps3 has a huge library of games which is a good thing, and the ps3 can´t have good things.

IF YOU CAN PLAY THE GAMES ON THE SYSTEM THEY ARE PART OF THE SYSTEMS LIBRARY.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GoldenGlove

I´m shocked at these people answering no, how hell don´t the games count? They are playable on the ps2 so they are part of the ps2´s library, they aren´t ps2 games but they are part of the ps2 library.Eddie-Vedder

I don't understand it either. This is the second board where I had a debate like this... so obviously people don't agree. But I honestly feel like what I and you are saying is 100% right. I don't see why people are picking no. And I haven't came across one reply that made me question where I stand on the topic.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GoldenGlove

Amazing how much sony hate you find on this board, everyone knows the games are a part of the ps2´s library, but that means the ps3 has a huge library of games which is a good thing, and the ps3 can´t have good things.

IF YOU CAN PLAY THE GAMES ON THE SYSTEM THEY ARE PART OF THE SYSTEMS LIBRARY.

Eddie-Vedder

Yeah, that's what my opinion is too. The idea of this thread came from another one. People wanted to say that the SNES has the best library of all time so much that they try and downplay how great the PS2's library was and still is. And when I said PS1 games count for PS2's library they really got defensive.

OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
[QUOTE="Bluestorm-Kalas"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="SpecialForcesOp"]

PS2 = PS2 Libary

PS3 = PS3 Libary.

GoldenGlove

Yes I know, but it seems like people love the SNES so much that they'll strongly disagree with me feeling that the PS2 has a better list of games to play for it. They don't want PS1 games to be counted toward the PS2's library for fanboy reasons in my opinion.

WTF, you are the one bringing this up. And in short, no; ps2's library are games made for ps2. BC doesn't count seeing as the games weren't made specifically for the ps2.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Eddie-Vedder
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="Bluestorm-Kalas"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="SpecialForcesOp"]

PS2 = PS2 Libary

PS3 = PS3 Libary.

OGTiago

WTF, you are the one bringing this up. And in short, no; ps2's library are games made for ps2. BC doesn't count seeing as the games weren't made specifically for the ps2.

omg this thread is killing me, so I can play the games on the ps2 but there not a part of the game library? When sony launched the ps2 and the ps3 for that matter didn´t they say it had a library of games x big I don´t remember the exact figure but they were refering to the ps1 and ps2 games also, BC is made so the games move onto the next platform making an even bigger library.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="Bluestorm-Kalas"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="SpecialForcesOp"]

PS2 = PS2 Libary

PS3 = PS3 Libary.

OGTiago

PS1 games may have not been made specifically for the PS2, but the PS2 was specifically made to play them along with PS2 games.

Next...

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gallion-Beast
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]True, but the database was made for you to have access to the previous one. Just like the PS2. Sony purposely made the console BC and they didn't have to do that. Same with the PS3. The 360's hardware is an example of a company NOT keeping it's previous console's titles in mind when they made the console. That's why all of the Xbox1 games aren't compatible with the 360. I didn't say they weren't PS1 games, I just said they are apart of the PS2's library. It's really not that hard to understand.

When people refer to the PS2 library, they almost always mean PS2 games. And the PS1 library is PS1 games as the PS3 library is PS3 games. For the record though, the PS2 has my favourite games library with or without the PS1. lt's nothing to do with Sony hate, it's just my opinion on the subject. Which seems to be shared by most people here.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Eddie-Vedder

[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]True, but the database was made for you to have access to the previous one. Just like the PS2. Sony purposely made the console BC and they didn't have to do that. Same with the PS3. The 360's hardware is an example of a company NOT keeping it's previous console's titles in mind when they made the console. That's why all of the Xbox1 games aren't compatible with the 360. I didn't say they weren't PS1 games, I just said they are apart of the PS2's library. It's really not that hard to understand.Gallion-Beast
When people refer to the PS2 library, they almost always mean PS2 games. And the PS1 library is PS1 games as the PS3 library is PS3 games. For the record though, the PS2 has my favourite games library with or without the PS1. lt's nothing to do with Sony hate, it's just my opinion on the subject. Which seems to be shared by most people here.

this has nothing to with opinion, everyone always says it´s "opinion" it´s a fact can you not play ps1 games on the ps2? yes or no simple question.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StealthSting

The PC is a neat example of this concept b/c it happens inherently with gaming PCs. Everytime you upgrade it's usually to be able to play something new that wasn't possible on your old hardware. Yet, when you upgrade doyou expect to lose the ability to play previous titles? No. You expect you hardware to have backwards compatibility with previously released titles. Here we have PC's pulling off BC all the time, and yet the PC library despite being huge is considered a single entity.-RPGamer-

Yes, but by definition the PC itself is not considered to be a different platform from itself when it comes to gaming, nor does it define itself from different generations when it comes to gaming... since well it does not have a solid base to do so, since most of it's era can only be definied individually or in a subjective way... What I'm trying to say is, can you give me the name that specifies the generation the PC platform is going through right now? Or the last one?..... Meh I'll respond to that poll by using the paper and scissors game :lol: ...

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gallion-Beast
this has nothing to with opinion, everyone always says it´s "opinion" it´s a fact can you not play ps1 games on the ps2? yes or no simple question.Eddie-Vedder
That's never what's been in question. But l'll answer obviously yes to it anyway.
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GoldenGlove

[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"]True, but the database was made for you to have access to the previous one. Just like the PS2. Sony purposely made the console BC and they didn't have to do that. Same with the PS3. The 360's hardware is an example of a company NOT keeping it's previous console's titles in mind when they made the console. That's why all of the Xbox1 games aren't compatible with the 360. I didn't say they weren't PS1 games, I just said they are apart of the PS2's library. It's really not that hard to understand.Gallion-Beast

Yes, but how am I wrong? The PS2 plays PS1 games and PS2 games. It doesn't matter what people think about when you say "PS2 library".

Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts
I say "YES" because I think it's a part of the library because you can buy a PS1-game just to play it on your PS2. But if we think like this we should also reconsider that the gamecube library is a part of the Wii-library, just as every VC-game out there. The same goes with the 360 and XBOX.