Proof the Wii-U is more powerful then the Xbox 360 and PS3

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

Well two unknown developers claimed it wasn't as powerful as the Xbox 360 and PS3. It honestly surprises me how easy people are convinced to believe something. I'm not really a fanboy, in fact I'm more of an Xbox 360 and PC gamer, but I admit I really am excited for the Wii-U. Anyways here are multiple reports from popular developers claiming the Wii-U is very powerful.

THQ: "WiiU is just a lot more powerful than current HD consoles it does 1080p very easy."
"The Wii U version of games from ALL developers and publishers, have potential for much smoother framerates, improved textures, and additional bonus content that the 360/PS3 version's won't have."
"The console is more than capable of graphics that surpass current consoles. It's like I said before. Expect majority of third party Wii U games from most publishers to have true 1080p, additional content, and smoother framrates than what the PS3/360 versions offer. If you want the DEFINITIVE version of any game in your library, I would suggest either the PC version or the Wii U version."
Epic: "It will do things current HD consoles simply can't do, it's going to be a powerful box."
Crytek: "WiiU devkits are very powerful,the specs are very good"
Vigil Games: "We had the game at the same level as high end pc version in a matter of days and a few lines of code got the game up and running on tablet in 5 mins."
EA: "Wii U is not a transitional platform, it is a true next generation system."

Now to put this in perspective, neither the Xbox 360 and PS3 can run games in True 1080p. Most games run at 720p, some even lower at 540p like MW2, and get upscaled to 1080p, but being upscaled and running in true 1080p are two very different things. Anyways Vigil Games says they can run a game at the same level as a high end PC eversion in 5 minutes. The Xbox 360 can't even run the game in 1080p, and on top of that, Xbox 360 can't run at max settings either. Anyways if you know much about graphics, the 360 and PS3 are far out****d by high end PCs.

Also the Wii-U uses a custom Radeon R700 based GPU. Now the latest version of the series the Radeon 4890 can run many graphically intesive games in full 1080p at max settings with a solid framerate on the PC. Games include Dirt 3, Crysis, Crysis 2 Lost Planet 2, Medal of Honor, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Call of Duty Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3, and Skyrim. Now Nintendo customized the GPU as well and might not be using the newest version, but all of the 4800s have similar results and can run pretty much any game on atleast High or Ultra settings in 1080p. Also this is only on a PC, developers will be able to make games specifically using the Wii-U's specs, not just a generilization. These GPU's were made in 2008.

I know that GPU isn't everything and RAM and CPU also play a part, but the GPU is far superior to the 360's and PS3's. The rumors were that it had 768MB of RAM and had a 3GHZ Quad Core Power 7 IBM CPU. I'm not certain, but these specs would certainly make sense since the Power 7 CPU's are clocked at a minimum 3GHZ and are able to be used with 4, 8 or 16 cores. Anyways also the RAM would be 256 MB more then the Xbox 360's 512MB, so it's a sensible upgrade, and it makes sense.

Anyways my point is that it's crazy to even think that the Wii-U is less powerful then the 360 and PS3, there is literally no evidence and I can't see a next gen console being less powerful then a current gen. Developers have said numerous times that the Wii-U is superior in power compared to this generation, yet when two unknowns come and say it's less powerful, people actually believe them. Even the Wii was more powerful then original Xbox, and the Wii was so far behind competing consoles in terms of power. I know that people say who cares about the power, but I do care a bit. I'm upgrading a console, I want it to be more powerful then the consoles I already have. It's called next gen for a reason, obviously gameplay is number 1, but I do want it to be next gen.

Wii-U developer comments:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=134599

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/09/18/crytek-is-excited-about-the-wii-u.aspx

http://www.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Tech_Specs

http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen

Wii-U Tech Demos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arHNcSMXaBk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shch7LNkVXw

(Apparently the garden tech demo looks even better on the show floor. Also note that both tech demo's were running in full 1080p at E3 a year ago, the Wii-U devkits have been changed to be more powerful then first released.) http://www.nintengen.com/2011/06/wii-u-garden-demo-had-better-graphics.html

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

lol, it better be it is coming out 7 years after the 360.

my phone probably has pretty close specs to the 360 and ps3 by now.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
A sad state of affairs when there's a doubt if "next gen" hardware is superior to 6 year old consoles.
the9thinning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the9thinning
Member since 2011 • 662 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Wii U is more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3. I'm pretty excited for it. :)
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

PS3 was said to do 1080p very easy and also 120fps and other such fantasies

Until we see it in games, so far actual developer commments are that WiiU is a joke in graphics hardware and Freaks from Outer space that looks like a PS1 game proves it

Also will take years for WiiU games to look anywhere close to the best looking on xbox 360, like Gears 3, Witcher 2, Ryse and Halo 4 or maybe it will never get there

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
What a surprise, a thread that has proof in the title with no proof in the context. It probably will be though.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Also will take years for WiiU games to look anywhere close to the best looking on xbox 360, like Gears 3, Witcher 2, Ryse and Halo 4 or maybe it will never get thereloosingENDS
Yea it will take year :roll:

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

It doesn't matter how powerful the system is, the wii was more powerful than the original xbox but had few games that were as good looking as the best XBOX games like ninja gaiden and chaos theory.

ocidax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ocidax
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

PS3 was said to do 1080p very easy and also 120fps and other such fantasies

Until we see it in games, so far actual developer commments are that WiiU is a joke in graphics hardware and Freaks from Outer space that looks like a PS1 game proves it

Also will take years for WiiU games to look anywhere close to the best looking on xbox 360, like Gears 3, Witcher 2, Ryse and Halo 4 or maybe it will never get there

loosingENDS
The Freaks from Outer space was only 2 months in dev. For a game with only two months in dev from zero, new hardware and with early dev kit look really good.
Click_Clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Click_Clock
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

Well two unknown developers claimed it wasn't as powerful as the Xbox 360 and PS3. It honestly surprises me how easy people are convinced to believe something. I'm not really a fanboy, in fact I'm more of an Xbox 360 and PC gamer, but I admit I really am excited for the Wii-U. Anyways here are multiple reports from popular developers claiming the Wii-U is very powerful.

THQ: "WiiU is just a lot more powerful than current HD consoles it does 1080p very easy."
Epic: "It will do things current HD consoles simply can't do, it's going to be a powerful box."
Crytek: "WiiU devkits are very powerful,the specs are very good"
Vigil Games: "We had the game at the same level as high end pc version in a matter of days and a few lines of code got the game up and running on tablet in 5 mins."
EA: "Wii U is not a transitional platform, it is a true next generation system."

Now to put this in perspective, neither the Xbox 360 and PS3 can run games in True 1080p. Most games run at 720p, some even lower at 540p like MW2, and get upscaled to 1080p, but being upscaled and running in true 1080p are two very different things. Anyways Vigil Games says they can run a game at the same level as a high end PC eversion in 5 minutes. The Xbox 360 can't even run the game in 1080p, and on top of that, Xbox 360 can't run at max settings either. Anyways if you know much about graphics, the 360 and PS3 are far out****d by high end PCs.

Also the Wii-U uses a custom Radeon R700 based GPU. Now the latest version of the series the Radeon 4890 can run many graphically intesive games in full 1080p at max settings with a solid framerate on the PC. Games include Dirt 3, Crysis, Crysis 2 Lost Planet 2, Medal of Honor, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Call of Duty Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3, and Skyrim. Now Nintendo customized the GPU as well and might not be using the newest version, but all of the 4800s have similar results and can run pretty much any game on atleast High or Ultra settings in 1080p. Also this is only on a PC, developers will be able to make games specifically using the Wii-U's specs, not just a generilization. These GPU's were made in 2008.

I know that GPU isn't everything and RAM and CPU also play a part, but the GPU is far superior to the 360's and PS3's. The rumors were that it had 768MB of RAM and had a 3GHZ Quad Core Power 7 IBM CPU. I'm not certain, but these specs would certainly make sense since the Power 7 CPU's are clocked at a minimum 3GHZ and are able to be used with 4, 8 or 16 cores. Anyways also the RAM would be 256 MB more then the Xbox 360's 512MB, so it's a sensible upgrade, and it makes sense.

Anyways my point is that it's crazy to even think that the Wii-U is less powerful then the 360 and PS3, there is literally no evidence and I can't see a next gen console being less powerful then a current gen. Developers have said numerous times that the Wii-U is superior in power compared to this generation, yet when two unknowns come and say it's less powerful, people actually believe them. Even the Wii was more powerful then original Xbox, and the Wii was so far behind competing consoles in terms of power. I know that people say who cares about the power, but I do care a bit. I'm upgrading a console, I want it to be more powerful then the consoles I already have. It's called next gen for a reason, obviously gameplay is number 1, but I do want it to be next gen.

FPS1337

Where's the link to the credible source that you got this information from? All I see is some fanboy putting words into developers mouth.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts
You know its sad when people are arguing whether or not Nintendo's NEXT GEN console will compare with 7 year old consoles :lol:
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

A sad state of affairs when there's a doubt if "next gen" hardware is superior to 6 year old consoles.MFDOOM1983

Yea... this is getting sadder by the minute..

I juts hope that their gimmicks really pay off otherwise this will all be stupid. I mean really.. if it's unresponsive like the Wii's motion controls.. god have mercy then. Even with Motion plus the Wii mote has issues.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

It will be more powerful than current gen consoles

...but only by as much as the Wii was over GCN, Xbox & PS2.

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

You know its sad when people are arguing whether or not Nintendo's NEXT GEN console will compare with 7 year old consoles :lol:StrongDeadlift

They have to since we dont even know what "ps4" and "xbox 720" look like.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I cannot wait for E3, it will be the deciding factor if I'll buy the WiiU, I need to see if Nintendo steps up their game.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
Well it better be more power full than the current consoles running on old technology. I have a feeling it will just be a tad bit more power full or just as power for as PS360. Something tells me nintendo wants power, but will cut down power in order to be cheap enough to sell for the masses
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

It will be more powerful than current gen consoles

...but only by as much as the Wii was over GCN, Xbox & PS2.

PatchMaster
Negative. Nintendo would have to make an effort to make a console only minutely more powerful then the HD twins.
runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts
oh please, remember before the Wii came out there were all sorts of these official statements claiming that the Wii is very powerful, despite all sorts of rumors and anonymous insiders claiming otherwise. There were even plenty of bullshots like the ones from Red Steel. Enough with the denials and just accept that Nintendo pulled the same con again, except this time their new console won't even be on par with last gen's 360/ps3 hardware.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

I'm gonna hold my horses.

I want to see a proper game first.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 22Toothpicks
oh please, remember before the Wii came out there were all sorts of these official statements claiming that the Wii is very powerful, despite all sorts of rumors and anonymous insiders claiming otherwise. There were even plenty of bullshots like the ones from Red Steel. Enough with the denials and just accept that Nintendo pulled the same con again, except this time their new console won't even be on par with last gen's 360/ps3 hardware. runbleduck
Now that I think about it, I don't recall ANY devs coming forward and saying the Wii is powerful. Maybe you have a link?
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

oh please, remember before the Wii came out there were all sorts of these official statements claiming that the Wii is very powerful, despite all sorts of rumors and anonymous insiders claiming otherwise. There were even plenty of bullshots like the ones from Red Steel. Enough with the denials and just accept that Nintendo pulled the same con again, except this time their new console won't even be on par with last gen's 360/ps3 hardware. runbleduck
"wii graphics will make you say wow." - iwata

:lol:

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts
and with rumors that every new WiiU dev kit is significant less powerful than the previous one, I wouldn't be surprised if the final WiiU turned out to be just a slightly more powerful version of Wii, just barely enough for it to output HD resolution.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Let me say this so people can understand it.

Please stfu, it's not even out yet. We've only seen the mere glimpses of what this thing might do.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 22Toothpicks
and with rumors that every new WiiU dev kit is significant less powerful than the previous one, I wouldn't be surprised if the final WiiU turned out to be just a slightly more powerful version of Wii, just barely enough for it to output HD resolution.runbleduck
Link to this rumor or STFU.
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts

More proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHUwDShrD4

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I'm sure it will be. I don't expect it to mue a lot stonger though. Like maybe 1.5-2 times more powerful.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

[QUOTE="runbleduck"]oh please, remember before the Wii came out there were all sorts of these official statements claiming that the Wii is very powerful, despite all sorts of rumors and anonymous insiders claiming otherwise. There were even plenty of bullshots like the ones from Red Steel. Enough with the denials and just accept that Nintendo pulled the same con again, except this time their new console won't even be on par with last gen's 360/ps3 hardware. MFDOOM1983

Except this time Nintendo has not said anything like that. :? It's only developers talking
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
Weaker hardware must be nintendo's way now, funny thing is sheep always say that it isn't. Though it will probably sell a ton again as long as they can keep the soccer mom/casual audience. Which shouldn't be a problem if the wii's peripherals like wii fit work with it.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I think it is obvious that it will be more powerful

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

It doesn't matter how powerful the system is, the wii was more powerful than the original xbox but had few games that were as good looking as the best XBOX games like ninja gaiden and chaos theory.

deangallop
..and there it is folks. Regardless of how much more powerful the wii-u is.. the proof will be in the pudding.
the9thinning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the9thinning
Member since 2011 • 662 Posts
Did everyone forget the Zelda HD demo? The Wii U is much more powerful than the Wii, unlike what rumbleduck is saying. I don't really know how it compares to PS3 and Xbox 360 though, I'll admit.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

Old rumors nintendo downgraded to save on costs.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

[QUOTE="runbleduck"]oh please, remember before the Wii came out there were all sorts of these official statements claiming that the Wii is very powerful, despite all sorts of rumors and anonymous insiders claiming otherwise. There were even plenty of bullshots like the ones from Red Steel. Enough with the denials and just accept that Nintendo pulled the same con again, except this time their new console won't even be on par with last gen's 360/ps3 hardware. MFDOOM1983

They did galaxy was stunning.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Lol, it's a next-gen console. It has to be.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

tjricardo089

Pretty much this. The real question is how will WiiU compare to Microsoft's and Sony's next gen systems. That is what the next gen battle will be about.

LEGEND_C4A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LEGEND_C4A
Member since 2003 • 3186 Posts

Riverwolf007

lol

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Did everyone forget the Zelda HD demo? The Wii U is much more powerful than the Wii, unlike what rumbleduck is saying. I don't really know how it compares to PS3 and Xbox 360 though, I'll admit. the9thinning

You can't base anything off a tech demo.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The fact people are doubting it will be more powerful than the 360 and PS3 is laughable in itself.

People are really desperate to hating on Nintendo.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

The fact people are doubting it will be more powerful than the 360 and PS3 is laughable in itself.

Wasdie
Wii was compared to last gen tech and with how well it sold you can see why we would think nintendo is going that route again. With 3ds having less tech than vita also makes me think so. Devs that make games on all systems have said wii u is more powerful that ps360 in some ways just not in pixels,shaders,etc. and I doubt they hate wii but rather see it's limitations.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Wasdie
Considering how underpowered the wii was.. they has a reason to doubt it.
omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

No kidding, the difference is 5 years and some ppl have some doubts ... it's laughable ... anyway, looks like Ninty console, so pass for me.

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

Riverwolf007
I agree, it should be faster.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
A sad state of affairs when there's a doubt if "next gen" hardware is superior to 6 year old consoles.MFDOOM1983
Kinda like how the PS3/360 were doubtful to have better hardware than 2-3 year old PCs when they released?
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FPS1337
Ok people, IGN reported that the Wii-U will only be 20% less powerful then the Xbox 720. That's not a huge difference at all. Also the Xbox 720 is supposedly using a AMD Radeon 6670 which is a bit better then Wii-U's GPU, but not by much at all. Also the PS4 reportedly is using a Radeon HD 7770, which is basically the same as the 6670 and have similar performance. The difference next gen won't even be close to this gen. Also the graphical tech demos and the fact that many developers have said that the Wii-U versions of ports will be enhanced over the Xbox 360 and PS3 games. It's not even funny how dumb trolls try to be some times.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FPS1337
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

p4s2p0
Wii was compared to last gen tech and with how well it sold you can see why we would think nintendo is going that route again. With 3ds having less tech than vita also makes me think so. Devs that make games on all systems have said wii u is more powerful that ps360 in some ways just not in pixels,shaders,etc. and I doubt they hate wii but rather see it's limitations.

Ya but multiple developers have complimented the Wii-U's power and said it is more powerful then last gen. Plus it's using a much newer GPU then the 360 and PS3. If reports are true the Wii-U should be close to the 720/Next Xbox and PS4's GPUs. IGN also reported that the newest Wii-U dev kit is only 20% less power then the Xbox 720, so it should be comparable in power.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FPS1337

[QUOTE="the9thinning"]Did everyone forget the Zelda HD demo? The Wii U is much more powerful than the Wii, unlike what rumbleduck is saying. I don't really know how it compares to PS3 and Xbox 360 though, I'll admit. goblaa

You can't base anything off a tech demo.

Really so the Wii can do the same tech demo? Also it's not just tech demos, it's developer comments.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#47 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Sick of these stories, just let E3 come.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

AdobeArtist

Pretty much this. The real question is how will WiiU compare to Microsoft's and Sony's next gen systems. That is what the next gen battle will be about.

I doubt that either Microsoft or Sony are going to spend tons more billions just to outpower Nintendo this time (especially given Sony's current financial situation).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts
oh stop arguing this you're basically saying a future next gen system will be slightly more powerful than a console nearly 7 years old
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FPS1337
Update, I have added links to the original post.