Prison Architect sells over 250,000 copies on PC lolDavekeeh

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/06/prison-architect-sells-over-250000-copies-is-introversions-best-selling-game/

but but according to some consolities *cough guy with old japanese dude avatar and davkeeh guy* indies are being pirated and keys stolen on the pc so the dev don't make enough money

Over 250,000 inmates are now being held by Prison Architect, according to the latest sales figures for Introversion's still-in-alpha management sim. That's an impressive amount of people, and an even more impressive amount of revenue: $8,001,530. SATIRE MODE ACTIVATED: It turns out the news wasn't lying when it said the prison system was one of the world's fastest growing industries.

"We never would have believed that one of our games would be so popular," says Introversion's Mark Morris, "and we want to thank everyone that is supporting Prison Architect and helping us turn it into a concrete reality."

It must be a happy situation for the inveterate underdogs to find themselves in. Before Prison Architect's alpha release, after the less-than-successful Multiwinia, and the eventually cancelled Subversion, Introversion faced the very real possibility of closure, and - as one of them believed - a prison sentence of their own. You can read the story about the game's inception and development in our recent Prison Architect feature.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#2 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Introversion are geniuses. They made Uplink after all.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

How is the game right now? Enough meat in there to support now, or wait for the release?

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GodspellWH

@GhoX: Prison Architect is pretty damn good

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

@Kinthalis: Yea they added a lot of content

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

And it's still in Early Access

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

This is surprising given the price.

I knew there was a good following for the game, but I wasn't expecting that level of success at $30

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GodspellWH

@Kinthalis: The game seems to have enough content at this point seems like there adding more later.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

Impossible. Publishers told me tycoon games were dead.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

I really really want to get it, but it just seemed too buggy (understandable given it's an alpha) for me. Have they gotten rid of most of the major ones? Wait until release?

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@R4gn4r0k:
Yea....

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

30 bucks is to much for early entry

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

But it's an RTS and that genre doesn't count!

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

@k2theswiss: They can't charge much cheaper, because once it's finished you'll have the same product as the person who'll pay full price for it. It's somewhat obvious that the price of an early-access needs to be very close to its release price, a 10 - 20% margin at most. Then again, you don't need to get the E.A. if you don't think there's enough content to have fun with (I only rarely buy games on Early Access - I think the only one I have now which is in EA is Nuclear Throne, and it was well worth it).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Call Of Duty sells more on console. This is nothing. Not sure why pc gamers are celebrating.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Call Of Duty sells more on console. This is nothing. Not sure why pc gamers are celebrating.

nothing wrong with congratulating a indie team for an successful game.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib

@uninspiredcup said:

just shut up. your trolling is getting old

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GodspellWH

@PannicAtack: its not an rts

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

nothing wrong with congratulating a indie team for an successful game.

The best place for this is the steam forums as it's fairly common for indie developers to frequent the forums.

Since the steam userbase acts like angry spoil brats with every community hub, I have no idea why. I doubt they read these forums.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PannicAtack

@godspellwh said:

@PannicAtack: its not an rts

[Joke]

-

-

-

-

[Your head]

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I still need to get this game, I need something to fill my management game void.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GodspellWH

@PannicAtack: I was surprised on how many people were confused certain games for an rts around the internet.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PannicAtack

@godspellwh said:

@PannicAtack: I was surprised on how many people were confused certain games for an rts around the internet.

Ah, good, so you do get the joke. Fantastic.

Yeah, I remember back in the Civilization V: Brave New World thread, people were calling it an RTS. Even when it was pointed out how they were wrong.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@iHarlequin: your right, but I feel $30 even when complete would be max I would ever concider paying.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

It's probably a good game, good for them, but it doesn't change the fact that Blackwell's game was stolen and resold by gamers. Don't get me started on those that donated $0.01 to Humble Indie Bundle to resell the keys for $20 a pop. Fact is: a lot of PC scum needs purging for the PC platform to be viable as it could be. Few successes but also a lot of devs and their newborns starving due to piracy on PC.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GodspellWH

@Locutus_Picard:

How do you know it was pc gamers when it could easily be vendors who resell steam keys also the dev should have been careful on how he distributed those steam keys.

And note Sega once a console centric publisher now makes most of there money from PC franchises

Other indie success

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/08/08/sega-is-refashioning-itself-as-a-pc-game-maker/

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/21/the-stanley-parable-sells-100000-copies-coming-to-mac/

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/66190-indie-horror-game-amnesia-sells-13-million-copies

http://www.destructoid.com/natural-selection-ii-has-sold-well-over-300-000-copies-245895.phtml

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/25/torchlight-2-two-million-sales/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/18/legend-of-grimrock-sells-over-600000-copies-devs-tease-future-content/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/minecraft-pc-passes-11-million-sales/1100-6410656/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/13/chivalry-medieval-warfare-sells-1-2-million-copies-adds-customization-system/

There are many other independent devs that release mostly pc titles and there still making money.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Locutus_Picard said:

It's probably a good game, good for them, but it doesn't change the fact that Blackwell's game was stolen and resold by gamers. Don't get me started on those that donated $0.01 to Humble Indie Bundle to resell the keys for $20 a pop. Fact is: a lot of PC scum needs purging for the PC platform to be viable as it could be. Few successes but also a lot of devs and their newborns starving due to piracy on PC.

Also consoles need to stop used games sales and their rampant piracy (very big in asia), they lose more than PC does.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

That game is a very creative simulator, I enjoy playing it!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib

@Locutus_Picard said:

you can't prove any of that was PC gamers. Could have easily just been russian key resellers

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

30 bucks is to much for early entry

Yup, wont even think about till it's under $10, preferably $5.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Locutus_Picard

@Jankarcop said:

@Locutus_Picard said:

Also consoles need to stop used games sales and their rampant piracy (very big in asia), they lose more than PC does.

I agree with used games but it's not the same as piracy, someone DID buy the copy somewhere down the road before it became used. Piracy is theft.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Locutus_Picard
@godspellwh said:

@Locutus_Picard:

How do you know it was pc gamers when it could easily be vendors who resell steam keys also the dev should have been careful on how he distributed those steam keys.

And note Sega once a console centric publisher now makes most of there money from PC franchises

Other indie success

There are many other independent devs that release mostly pc titles and there still making money.

That's is mostly because they lost their place in the console race, not because PC gaming is suddenly so much more profitable. GTA:V proves consoles are still where the money's at.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GodspellWH

@Locutus_Picard: Considering Sega has been out of the console race for years now its not hindering them in anywhere and they still release a lot of console games even till this day. That really is saying much when a couple of pc franchises are doing better compared to all the others. You should look at Blizzard cause there clearly making most of their profits from PC games because I'm sure they bagged a whole lot from Diablo 3 last year or lets not forget minecraft a small budget game made by a small studio with little to no marketing.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

I'm interested in the game but the price is ridiculous.

Oh, and make a Vita version.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@Locutus_Picard said:
@godspellwh said:

@Locutus_Picard:

Other indie success

That's is mostly because they lost their place in the console race, not because PC gaming is suddenly so much more profitable. GTA:V proves consoles are still where the money's at.

Consoles are where the money is at if your name is Take Two

What about all the other devs/publishers out there?

It's stupid to look at the success of a single game, and assume that success is in store for every dev that makes games on consoles over PC. Especially when the market is so much bigger than GTA alone.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Locutus_Picard

@treedoor said:

@Locutus_Picard said:
@godspellwh said:

@Locutus_Picard:

Other indie success

It's stupid to look at the success of a single game, and assume that success is in store for every dev that makes games on consoles over PC.

Is this not what TC himself does?

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@Locutus_Picard said:

@treedoor said:

@Locutus_Picard said:
@godspellwh said:

@Locutus_Picard:

Other indie success

It's stupid to look at the success of a single game, and assume that success is in store for every dev that makes games on consoles over PC.

Is this not what TC himself does?

You dishonor your avatar with the nonsense you spout. Locutus disaproves.

Let's take another example. Diablo 3 has sold 14 million copies. 13.5 of which have been on PC. It sold only 500,000 copie on console. Sure, it's only been a few months, but at that rate it's never goin g to catch up. There's plenty other publishers and devs who have gon on record saying that they make m ore money on PC than on consoles, and cerain multi-plat game shave sold more on PC as well, Portal 2 for example.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@Locutus_Picard: Yea cause many games have the same level of success as GTA does

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Davekeeh lol? this guy have been permabanned for quite some time.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@Locutus_Picard said:

To get Steam keys on HB you need to pay at least 1 dollar.

And nobody needs purging. PC is the biggest and healthiest platform in the industry by far. So whatever problems it has, those don't destroy it's viability, at most they just slow down their progress.

Also..who are those "devs and their newborns" that are starving? Lmao...

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@Locutus_Picard said:
. GTA:V proves consoles are still where the money's at.

Only if you're willing to gamble 200+ mln dollars. THen yes, if you want to gamble this kind of money consoles are still the best place to do so.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@haveeked said:

I bet it got pirated 10x more than that number, anyway not impressed

@MK-Professor said:

Has he? I wish he would find a way to come back

Something tells me the troll came back haveeked or else davekeeh . You couldnt even find a better username that wouldnt reveal your real id ?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@haveeked said:
@MK-Professor said:

I wish he wouldn't. He's a complete idiot and spends more time staring at scores than he does playing games.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By adamosmaki

@R4gn4r0k said:

@haveeked said:
@MK-Professor said:

I wish he wouldn't. He's a complete idiot and spends more time staring at scores than he does playing games.

R4gn4r0k i hope you noticed that haveeked is actually davekeeh

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@adamosmaki said:

I'm fully aware of that :p

I see he is still obsessing over metacritic scores in other threads so his behavior hasn't changed in the slightest. Only his name slightly changed.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

great concept but wow there about a million bugs in it and the workers work so slow and doors are just a nuance. might just be me playing such fast paced games these days

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 adamosmaki

@R4gn4r0k said:

@adamosmaki said:

I'm fully aware of that :p

I see he is still obsessing over metacritic scores in other threads so his behavior hasn't changed in the slightest. Only his name slightly changed.

oh i see what you did there calling him complete idiot. Good call

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Will join any thread that has the words "lol Davek3eh" . LOL

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k

@adamosmaki said:

oh i see what you did there calling him complete idiot. Good call

thanks ^^

It's not like anyone on here takes him seriously, so it'll make no difference if he stays or if he gets banned again.