Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#101 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34621 Posts

@phbz said:

I'm going to be completely insane and say that both W3 and DS have excellent combat, and none shits over the other.

You have no place in this thread.

Anyway, I pretty much agree. The Souls games combat is cool, since you have to memorize the animations and time them right. Like in Monster Hunter, which I think have freaking awesome combat. Witcher is cool too, but a little button mashy. I know you don't have to button mash, and will get cooler looking fights out of it, but button mashing in Witcher's combat is kind of rewarded. At least it was in Witcher 1 and 2.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Kinda incredible that some are being serious and vote for TW3 trash light attack spam over the souls series. The game doesn't even have a stamina bar for attacks nor does it have attack animations lol its the same swing animation on every enemy until the end of the game... Not liking a Souls game is one thing but saying that TW3 combat (which is essentially exactly like the shitty TW2 combat) is better? What? Crazy stuff. That's like saying Darksiders have a better combat system than Ninja Gaiden, the difference is so big that its dumb even comparing the two.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

No, you like the witcher's combat system because it makes you feel like you are winning without as much effort. That doesn't make it better.

No, you like the Souls type combat because it's simplistic and repetitive pattern recognition, which your brain can handle. That doesn't make it better.

See, anyone can do that crap. Pulling the ol' "you're not good enough or smart enough to understand this epic game the way I do" is lame.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#104 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@001011000101101 said:
@godspellwh said:
@001011000101101 said:

I don't get it either. Dark Souls always made me feel as if I was fighting underwater or something. I can see why some would like it, because it is (probably, I have never swung a sword myself) a lot closer to real-life sword fighting. Medieval fights between armored dudes weren't very elegant, that's for sure.

lol rolling around in armor = real life sword fighting?

I said closer to real life, not an exact replica of what people did back then.

You mean when dragons, zombies and wizards roamed the earth?

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

@kalipekona: except that's not what people are saying or why most people like it. I'm not even a fan of the series but what you said is incredibly dumb.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

@robokill said:

@kalipekona: except that's not what people are saying or why most people like it. I'm not even a fan of the series but what you said is incredibly dumb.

You must not have understood my point. I was responding to a particular comment and showing that it's easy to label something as crap and then attempt to dismiss other people's opinions by basically saying "you're opinion isn't valid because you like crap". It's pointless circular reasoning.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

BUMP !!!

;)

Loving this thread so much right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#108 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@Litchie: I assure you that anyone button mashing against a group of Drowners will last just a few seconds in W3. At a high difficulty setting.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#109  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@godspellwh: I dont care what people saying ... Both Witcher AND DS series are top notch RPGs and im having a blast. Let haters hate ... who cares.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

Souls combat is fine if you are in an open area. This isn't the case for most of the game, though. For the most part, it's a shitty, disorienting system that encourages you to take advantage of even shittier AI to win.

There's nothing disorienting about it...

It depends on what you are trying to fight and what you are standing on. There are some areas in Demon's Souls where I would have to just sprint back into an open area so I could backpedal enough to make the red eye knight miss. That's not even addressing the game's biggest problem, which is the ridiculous amount of grinding required if you want to use good equipment. Most people complain about having to replay a level when you die. That's not nearly as boring as having to replay a level you've already beaten so you can try to find stones to upgrade your equipment. Not to mention the souls you have to harvest just to upgrade your strength and endurance enough to wear it. I'm at the very end of the game and had to grind to level 70-something just to wear the armor I want to wear. Quit playing because I still wasn't strong enough to carry a bow that I could use to kill the blue dragon.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#111  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

Souls combat is fine if you are in an open area. This isn't the case for most of the game, though. For the most part, it's a shitty, disorienting system that encourages you to take advantage of even shittier AI to win.

It depends on what you are trying to fight and what you are standing on. There are some areas in Demon's Souls where I would have to just sprint back into an open area so I could backpedal enough to make the red eye knight miss. That's not even addressing the game's biggest problem, which is the ridiculous amount of grinding required if you want to use good equipment. Most people complain about having to replay a level when you die. That's not nearly as boring as having to replay a level you've already beaten so you can try to find stones to upgrade your equipment. Not to mention the souls you have to harvest just to upgrade your strength and endurance enough to wear it. I'm at the very end of the game and had to grind to level 70-something just to wear the armor I want to wear. Quit playing because I still wasn't strong enough to carry a bow that I could use to kill the blue dragon.

Not seeing how luring an enemy into a more advantageous area is a fault of the game. Pretty sure that's intended, especially for that first red eye knight you encounter in 1-1 (who is totally optional by the way, and guards a door you wouldn't/couldn't normally enter at that point).

Grinding in Souls games isn't ridiculous because you're not really forced to grind. Having upgraded weapons just makes things easier, and honestly heavy armor in Demon's Souls especially is useless because fatrolling is garbage and fastroll invincibility frames are OP. My first playthrough of Demon's Souls I came across plenty of hardstone/sharpstone to upgrade the weapons I wanted, and the rarer upgrading components that let you hit +8 and above were of course something I found later in the game, or in hidden areas from crystal lizards. And yeah, parameter requirements--big deal. Just build your character accordingly if you want to equip that certain set of armor/weapon.

The hellkite drakes are totally optional by the way, it's actually more of a pain in the ass to try to kill them. But if you really want to you can just use any shitty bow and stock an insane amount of arrows; just prepare to shoot at them for like ten minutes. I will admit dealing with those shitty guys in the last level of Boletaria was frustrating and stupid, and it's one of the reasons I don't like Demon's Souls that much.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#112 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Darksouls have excellent combat that completely shits on Witcher. The worlds design, open nature, and in general (as a game), completely shits on the Wticher.

Dark Souls is obv a much easier game to make. No need for any actual events, gameplay variety beyonde the combat system, characters or story.

Sure simplicity is cool and DS does it very well. Simplicity is still simpler though.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#113 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@Sushiglutton said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Darksouls have excellent combat that completely shits on Witcher. The worlds design, open nature, and in general (as a game), completely shits on the Wticher.

Dark Souls is obv a much easier game to make. No need for any actual events, gameplay variety beyonde the combat system, characters or story.

Sure simplicity is cool and DS does it very well. Simplicity is still simpler though.

If the bottom line result is a better playing than who cares which is easier? For all of The Witcher's desires for world building and characters, the combat isn't exactly anything worth praising. On top of that, it's pretty shallow.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Lulu_Lulu

@princeofshapeir:

Theres a finite of weapons in Dark Souls thats actually usefull to you when you pick it up........... I mean theres three things to consider, Minimum Requirements to Wield, Scaling and Uograding The Weapon itself.

When you first play this game its going to take you a while to understand exactly how scaling works........ even if you do know how it works you won't know whether a weapon scales well or not until you fully upgrade it, and even if you did know that theres judmst know getting around the fact that you need Grind To buy the resources to upgrade the weapon, you need to grind the levels to make that weapon usable and then you need to farm for the resources to upgrade the weapon because nobody sells the Larger Titanites...... and thats just to upgrade one single weapon, theres still the matter if each piece of your armor any other weapons you might need to use and Dark Souls doesn't give you enough resources or Souls for one single halfway decent character.........

Dark Souls is just as Grindy as any other RPG if not more since other RPGs only need to grind for onething when Dark Souls asks you to Grind for 2 things.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#115 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

@commander said:
@001011000101101 said:
@godspellwh said:
@001011000101101 said:

I don't get it either. Dark Souls always made me feel as if I was fighting underwater or something. I can see why some would like it, because it is (probably, I have never swung a sword myself) a lot closer to real-life sword fighting. Medieval fights between armored dudes weren't very elegant, that's for sure.

lol rolling around in armor = real life sword fighting?

I said closer to real life, not an exact replica of what people did back then.

You mean when dragons, zombies and wizards roamed the earth?

Imagine if you actually spent five seconds reading my post. That'd be wild!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#116 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

Dark Souls has very satisfying combat

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Oh no, Attack of the Lulu_Lulu. :(

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#118 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. I really did not care for Blood borne, not to say I didn't give it the time to grow on me. The Witcher 3 on the other hand has me immersed. I tend to like large open world games with detailed environments to explore.

The combat in TW3 is perfectly fine for the type of game it is.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

@godspellwh said:

yep its so hard to get proper control especially in PVP ( DS in a nutshell)

LOL +9000

I love both games but to be honest, The Witcher 3's combat is far better than Dark Souls.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Lulu_Lulu

@Gamerno6666:

FLASH KICK !!!!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

Not seeing how luring an enemy into a more advantageous area is a fault of the game. Pretty sure that's intended, especially for that first red eye knight you encounter in 1-1 (who is totally optional by the way, and guards a door you wouldn't/couldn't normally enter at that point).

Grinding in Souls games isn't ridiculous because you're not really forced to grind. Having upgraded weapons just makes things easier, and honestly heavy armor in Demon's Souls especially is useless because fatrolling is garbage and fastroll invincibility frames are OP. My first playthrough of Demon's Souls I came across plenty of hardstone/sharpstone to upgrade the weapons I wanted, and the rarer upgrading components that let you hit +8 and above were of course something I found later in the game, or in hidden areas from crystal lizards. And yeah, parameter requirements--big deal. Just build your character accordingly if you want to equip that certain set of armor/weapon.

The hellkite drakes are totally optional by the way, it's actually more of a pain in the ass to try to kill them. But if you really want to you can just use any shitty bow and stock an insane amount of arrows; just prepare to shoot at them for like ten minutes. I will admit dealing with those shitty guys in the last level of Boletaria was frustrating and stupid, and it's one of the reasons I don't like Demon's Souls that much.

If you have a melee build, the red one isn't all that optional, unless you are just so good at the game you can beat the Flame Lurker without taking a single shot, or you grind a whole lot more than I did. The kite shield and winged spear just wasn't getting it done. That is the only portion of the game I consulted a guide for. Took about 20 minutes of shooting the dragon with arrows, then another hour and a half to grind for enough souls to actually carry the stupid flame shield.

I shot the blue one with as many arrows as my endurance would let me hold and it did not die. It was like 300 times I shot that thing. I might run past it this weekend, just so I can say I beat the game, though.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#122 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Nothing is wrong with the combat its the huge overworld that engages players in the game.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@dimebag667 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Yes, but the amount of damage the enemies inflict doesn't really hold any relevance to the workings of the mechanics themselves. 100 hit deaths or 1, nothing changes in how the game's mechanics handle encounters, it would only serve to shorten/prolong them. Anyway as I told jchamp, it's really been a bit too long for me to make any real comparison that goes into detail aside from that both combat systems have different goals in mind, and that that fact should be kept in mind when making comparisons or claiming one better than the other.

I don't think I said only damage. I think I mentioned A.I. and player reactions as well, which are relevant to the mechanics...as far as I can tell. I totally agree that they are different games with different goals in mind. And that should be remembered when making claims and comparisons, but I still hold to the opinion that if you transplanted 8-10 enemies (in some magic fashion) from DS to W3 you would probably get destroyed, and that it is a better combat system.

Player reaction is a subjective criteria completely irrelevant to the mechanics, which are set in stone. That someone sucks at FROM's games or with the W3's systems don't hold any bearing upon their merits.

As for the A.I, there is nothing in FROM's titles that I see there that elevates or differentiates it from anything what the Witcher is doing. The difficulty I'd say is the amount of damage that is taken, and from sloppy play and incorrect timing. I don't see anything that could be attributed to A.I. such as monsters reacting to a change of weapons, tactics, or using the environment. I'll use BB here as an example because it's the most recent game of FROM that I've played.

From what I've seen, the monsters in W3 actually jump back from attacks. I've dodged Drowners, counterattacked, had them evade, then saw them use their allies to surround me and attack. I've seen the Wargs howl to bring in reinforcements. That is A.I, rudimentary though it may be. I don't recall anything like this in DS or BB, the enemies do their scripted attack animations and the player has to work around them to stop the degradation of their life bar. This is where the skill lies, predictability, not dymanism. Perhaps hit-box detection and the feeling of impact is more tangible in their games, but as far as A.I. goes I would lay more credit to CDPR here.

The player reaction I am talking about is just the animation of you getting stunned, not the actual player's reaction to the situation. You praise the enemy a.i. and the encounters system in W3, which is totally fine, but that is not what I'm talking about when I say the souls combat system is better. I just mean the animations of attack, the combos, the look, the weight of attacks...just the overall feel.

I still think if you took 8-10 BB dogs on in W3...you (and most everyone else) would probably die. I agree that they wouldn't use tactics on you...the would all just lunge in a torrent of doggy doom! You would probably get staggered once and die before you could regain your footing. That is the assumed outcome I see.

I'm just glad that there enough games for all of us. So you can like yours, and I can like mine.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45141 Posts

you need to play a game called Bloodborne

BoboTheMighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By BoboTheMighty
Member since 2015 • 145 Posts

Yep...I've just recently played Dark Souls for the first time, to see what the fuss is all about, and from start to finish I couldn't stop thinking...."That's it?"

Sluggish and clumsy movement, unresponsive controls where it can take even more than a second to register, slow animations, bad UI, no tutorial of any kind, glitchy lock on targetting system, retarded AI with poor collision detection( I left a game for five hours running...and that archer still hasn't figured out to move and then try to shoot AROUND objects), enemies attacks passing through objects, no satisfying hit effect on you or when you're striking opponents as your over sized weapon simply passes through them and their corpses later float around as if filled with hellium, difficulty based on nothing more than grinding, exploiting AI with I-frames, and tedious, pointless repetition...and I won't even get started on it's poor magic system or probably the worst archery I've seen in any game.

And the "legendary" boss fights?...you roll left and right for five minutes on a bridge as an oversized (like everything else in the game) butterfly shoots at you, then it lands in the middle and stands around doing absolutely nothing, while you hack it away, and then you go about repeating the same thing five times over....great sense of triumph and accomplishment! It never felt like there is any real sense of character progression or that the game encourages you to experiment and combine different attacks ...just observe and exploit, for everything you face in the game. Despite it's reputation for being "hard", it really isn't...it's simply tedious.

Funny thing is then seeing these blind fanatics as they go about criticizing other games, for a lot of things they do a LOT better than Dark Souls or Bloodborne ever could.

And that Gif? It's actually pretty damn accurate.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

This right here in a nutshell is the problem with the modern gamer. Everything is either the best thing ever or a pile of shit. No one actually has the intelligence to just admit to themselves that something isn't for them.

How can anyone slag off the combat in dark souls? And the witcher is one of the best games this year, if not the best, so ignorant morons dislike it just because they think it gives them status to be different. It doesn't. No one cares what games you like. People only care about games they like.

Jesus H Christ I am getting tired of these people. Grow up.

BoboTheMighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By BoboTheMighty

I actually wanted to prove my point with a frame of mind that most Dark Souls/Bloodborne players here display when criticizing combat in other games...If you focus on the negatives as I just did, everything, from the simplest video games to greatest works of art in human history can be proclaimed as a piece of shit, by our common, everyday amateur "critic" you'll find on the Internet.

What I "somehow" failed to mention is an amazing variety of AI's in DS, different weapon styles and builds, strong psychological tension, and so on...just as a lot of people here "failed to notice" in Wild Hunt, it's very flexible game play with that allows you to easily switch between different type of attacks in a very fluid motion, amazing dodge mechanics, excellent sense of "rhythm" , adrenaline and toxicity system, huge variety of bombs and potion effects, strategic use of signs on enemies or the environment, etc, etc...only to end up describing it as "repetitive, boring button mashing".

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

But, no. Dark Souls requires proper control of your character, attacks have a sense of weight behind them, timing is crucial.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Stop wearing heavy armor. That's why it's sluggish you silly plebs.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I dunno, but the fights in the Whitcher look like a dance contest. Especially when I use the (non rolling) dodge button.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@R10nu said:

Blade Of Darkness.

This ,Souls & Dogma/Dark Arisen have the best hack-n-slash combat for action RPGs.

And pleeeeease....Twitcher isn't on their level when it comes to combat.

Loading Video...

BoboTheMighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 BoboTheMighty

When you're on the matter of examining the "credibility" of the author of that video, check out his "review" of Arkham Knight's combat system, as well. Especially when his epileptic episodes start to kick in.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#133 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

combat simulator

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I like the combat in both games/series (TW1&2 being the exceptions). People probably just get killed too easily in TW3/DS because they think that the character is a some kind of an untouchable ninja or something lol.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@godspellwh said:

Why do people dog on the Witcher combat system when Dark Souls combat is sluggish and clunky. I literally back stabbed enemies just to finish them off quickly. Unfortunately there are order flaws the soul games have that people tend to ignore.

"Sluggish and clunky" translates into "I have no idea what I'm doing or what I'm supposed to do".

Every weapon in Dark Souls has its own thought out moveset and timing windows it's meant to exploit. The reason why the Souls games are so popular is because they can't be beaten by a braindead person on autopilot like a game like Skyrim can. Without proper preparation, reactiveness, awareness and good execution you wouldn't be able to get past the bell gargoyles.

Not to say the Witcher 3's combat is bad, just saying that you have quite evidently no clue of what you're talking about.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@bobothemighty said:

I actually wanted to prove my point with a frame of mind that most Dark Souls/Bloodborne players here display when criticizing combat in other games...If you focus on the negatives as I just did, everything, from the simplest video games to greatest works of art in human history can be proclaimed as a piece of shit, by our common, everyday amateur "critic" you'll find on the Internet.

What I "somehow" failed to mention is an amazing variety of AI's in DS, different weapon styles and builds, strong psychological tension, and so on...just as a lot of people here "failed to notice" in Wild Hunt, it's very flexible game play with that allows you to easily switch between different type of attacks in a very fluid motion, amazing dodge mechanics, excellent sense of "rhythm" , adrenaline and toxicity system, huge variety of bombs and potion effects, strategic use of signs on enemies or the environment, etc, etc...only to end up describing it as "repetitive, boring button mashing".

Your focus on the negative is the kind of thing a person who doesn't understand Dark Souls would say though. Without proper focus on the negative you could even make people believe Fallout 3 is a good game.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Souls games requires learning the pattern of every enemy, TW3 doesnt or at least not to the extent of the souls games.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts
@bussinrounds said:

Loading Video...

His 3 "reviews" of TW3 are disingenuous garbage, i've picked them apart in the comment section.

They're reaching so hard it made me unsub without a second thought.

Him doing 3 videos on a single game should already make you doubt his integrity.

"Bu-bu-but i'm not wrong, you guys!"

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#139 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@godspellwh said:

Why do people dog on the Witcher combat system when Dark Souls combat is sluggish and clunky. I literally back stabbed enemies just to finish them off quickly. Unfortunately there are order flaws the soul games have that people tend to ignore.

If you think Dark Souls combat is poor, I can't really respect your opinion on other action RPGs.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#140  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9400 Posts

I agree with Dark Souls best combat. TW3 combat i like....less.

Darks Souls combat is very deliberate. TW3 feels more automatic like the Batman games.... but I play TW3 mainly for the story and exploration so it's not a big deal.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

It's satisfying combat, not the deepest in the world, but very well implamented. The Witchers isn't.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#142 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

I love the Witcher series. TW3 is my GOTY and love it more than any souls game.

But, no. Dark Souls requires proper control of your character, attacks have a sense of weight behind them, timing is crucial.

In TW2 and 3, free Quen + unresponsive, clunky feeling combat sort of "ruins" it.

it's still good and enjoyable imho, but, no, DS is much better in this regard. But TW focuses of many other elements, like storytelling, so it's cool

Was that a TW3 console version? I'm still trying to understand how so many people call movement/combat in TW3 unresponsive or having weird momentum whereas I had zero problems like that since its release on PC.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@godspellwh said:

I agree both games have crappy combat which is why I don't like either game

BoboTheMighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By BoboTheMighty

@N30F3N1X: I'm saying basically the same thing as Doc sanchez/what's his name, in a post above...most people on the Internet have less reasoning abilities than a goat and are thoroughly incapable of looking at anything from different angles without reaching a binary conclusion that boils down to... This shit sucks or It is the Best ever!

Witcher emphasizes rhythm, faster and more flexible combat and involves more strategy and complementary mechanics than the majority of action games, including Dark Souls. And it excells at those, despite all it's flaws.

Dark Souls emphasizes slower, more metodical combat with the player fully in control of every type of attack, variety of AI's and different play styles. And it also excells at those, despite having many flaws.

Each should be examined on it's own merits and design goals.