Ports From Windows 8 To Xbox One Take Just "A Day Or Two"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

This means every single PC game can be ported on Xbox One with A Day or Two

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/05/10/ports-windows-8-xbox-one-take-1-day-2

We have mentioned Boyd Multerer already a little more than three months ago. Xbox’s Director of Development, who is basically considered the creator of Xbox One, confessed to be very proud of the hardware architecture.

Today, Total Xbox published an interesting three pages long interview with him. Multerer had the opportunity to speak on a number of different topics; an impressive detail is that games written for Windows 8 using DirectX can be ported over to Xbox One in just a day or two.

The basic box is definitely easier to develop for, and that goes a long way. We spent a lot of time making sure that if you know how to write a game in DirectX in Windows, you already know how to write a game in Xbox One, and the games that are being written for Windows 8 that are using DX are porting really quickly to Xbox One. Like often in a day, maybe two. Yes, you have to tweak for the specific performance characteristics of this box but you basically already know how to do it, if you’ve developed for Windows. It’s more complicated than that, but yeah.

That is most certainly going to be helpful for the platform, although right now not many games have been specifically written for Windows 8 yet. Multerer also said that he thinks indie developers will find Xbox One a fantastic platform – even though many have been sayingquite the opposite.

I think that the Indies are going to find the Xbox One to be a fantastic platform. I ran XNA, and I care tremendously about the indies and as we were designing the Xbox One, one of my goals was to bake in support for independent developers really deeply into the operating system.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Yep. Just turn the settings to low.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Between this and steamos, the future is playing games on control pad with thumb sticks, the way god intended.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

Yep. Just turn the settings to low.

And set the resolution to 792p

AppleBeatsPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 AppleBeatsPC
Member since 2013 • 148 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife: Great find. Just goes to show Microsoft is in control. Sony made some huge mistakes by abandoning the Cell processor, and Microsoft is going to capitalize. X1 could probably run 95% of PC games on the highest settings, so this could really break the sales dam and thrust the X1 way ahead of the PS4.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lostrib

@applebeatspc said:

@FreedomFreeLife: Great find. Just goes to show Microsoft is in control. Sony made some huge mistakes by abandoning the Cell processor, and Microsoft is going to capitalize. X1 could probably run 95% of PC games on the highest settings, so this could really break the sales dam and thrust the X1 way ahead of the PS4.

bad troll is bad

AppleBeatsPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AppleBeatsPC

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

bad troll is bad

Okay just go ahead and try running games like Crysis on the X1 and see how it outperforms 90% of video cards...

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

I guess the Xbox One won't have any more exclusives.

Microsoft may have to resort to paying people NOT to develop on PC. lol

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lostrib

@applebeatspc said:

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

bad troll is bad

Okay just go ahead and try running games like Crysis on the X1 and see how it outperforms 90% of video cards...

AppleBeatsPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AppleBeatsPC

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

bad troll is bad

2/10. Not impressed. When someone proves a point with which you don't agree do you always accuse them of being a troll? Enlighten me as to how i'm wrong... I never said PS4 wasn't powerful. It is, it just doesn't live up to the X1, and Sony made some serious design choices which will hurt it long term.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@applebeatspc said:

2/10. Not impressed. When someone proves a point with which you don't agree do you always accuse them of being a troll? Enlighten me as to how i'm wrong... I never said PS4 wasn't powerful. It is, it just doesn't live up to the X1, and Sony made some serious design choices which will hurt it long term.

Still looking for that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

So why is the Xbox missing so many of the PS4 - PC titles?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

so 99% of xbone games confirmed comming to pc, the reasons to own an xbone are almost none.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts
@hoosier7 said:

So why is the Xbox missing so many of the PS4 - PC titles?

It has a lot to do with DX12 and the fact that it's not even out yet. DX12 is going work across all Microsoft platforms.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lostrib

@applebeatspc said:

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

@lostrib said:

bad troll is bad

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Maybe to get it compiling and a version running. That doesn't mean the game is playable.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@applebeatspc said:

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

bad troll is bad

It can't even run BF4 at playable FPS with low settings.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@applebeatspc said:

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

bad troll is bad

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

So does this mean they're gonna develop for PC first now?...if so that'd be great. :P