Ports From Windows 8 To Xbox One Take Just "A Day Or Two"

#1 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (2133 posts) -

This means every single PC game can be ported on Xbox One with A Day or Two

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/05/10/ports-windows-8-xbox-one-take-1-day-2

We have mentioned Boyd Multerer already a little more than three months ago. Xbox’s Director of Development, who is basically considered the creator of Xbox One, confessed to be very proud of the hardware architecture.

Today, Total Xbox published an interesting three pages long interview with him. Multerer had the opportunity to speak on a number of different topics; an impressive detail is that games written for Windows 8 using DirectX can be ported over to Xbox One in just a day or two.

The basic box is definitely easier to develop for, and that goes a long way. We spent a lot of time making sure that if you know how to write a game in DirectX in Windows, you already know how to write a game in Xbox One, and the games that are being written for Windows 8 that are using DX are porting really quickly to Xbox One. Like often in a day, maybe two. Yes, you have to tweak for the specific performance characteristics of this box but you basically already know how to do it, if you’ve developed for Windows. It’s more complicated than that, but yeah.

That is most certainly going to be helpful for the platform, although right now not many games have been specifically written for Windows 8 yet. Multerer also said that he thinks indie developers will find Xbox One a fantastic platform – even though many have been saying quite the opposite.

I think that the Indies are going to find the Xbox One to be a fantastic platform. I ran XNA, and I care tremendously about the indies and as we were designing the Xbox One, one of my goals was to bake in support for independent developers really deeply into the operating system.

#2 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Yep. Just turn the settings to low.

#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

Between this and steamos, the future is playing games on control pad with thumb sticks, the way god intended.

#4 Edited by lostrib (34599 posts) -

Yep. Just turn the settings to low.

And set the resolution to 792p

#5 Posted by AppleBeatsPC (46 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife: Great find. Just goes to show Microsoft is in control. Sony made some huge mistakes by abandoning the Cell processor, and Microsoft is going to capitalize. X1 could probably run 95% of PC games on the highest settings, so this could really break the sales dam and thrust the X1 way ahead of the PS4.

#6 Edited by lostrib (34599 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife: Great find. Just goes to show Microsoft is in control. Sony made some huge mistakes by abandoning the Cell processor, and Microsoft is going to capitalize. X1 could probably run 95% of PC games on the highest settings, so this could really break the sales dam and thrust the X1 way ahead of the PS4.

bad troll is bad

#7 Edited by AppleBeatsPC (46 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

bad troll is bad

Okay just go ahead and try running games like Crysis on the X1 and see how it outperforms 90% of video cards...

#8 Posted by farrell2k (5809 posts) -
#9 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9469 posts) -

I guess the Xbox One won't have any more exclusives.

Microsoft may have to resort to paying people NOT to develop on PC. lol

#10 Edited by lostrib (34599 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

bad troll is bad

Okay just go ahead and try running games like Crysis on the X1 and see how it outperforms 90% of video cards...

#11 Edited by AppleBeatsPC (46 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

bad troll is bad

2/10. Not impressed. When someone proves a point with which you don't agree do you always accuse them of being a troll? Enlighten me as to how i'm wrong... I never said PS4 wasn't powerful. It is, it just doesn't live up to the X1, and Sony made some serious design choices which will hurt it long term.

#12 Edited by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

2/10. Not impressed. When someone proves a point with which you don't agree do you always accuse them of being a troll? Enlighten me as to how i'm wrong... I never said PS4 wasn't powerful. It is, it just doesn't live up to the X1, and Sony made some serious design choices which will hurt it long term.

Still looking for that.

#13 Edited by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -

So why is the Xbox missing so many of the PS4 - PC titles?

#14 Edited by Krelian-co (10406 posts) -

so 99% of xbone games confirmed comming to pc, the reasons to own an xbone are almost none.

#15 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9469 posts) -
@hoosier7 said:

So why is the Xbox missing so many of the PS4 - PC titles?

It has a lot to do with DX12 and the fact that it's not even out yet. DX12 is going work across all Microsoft platforms.

#16 Edited by lostrib (34599 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

@lostrib said:

bad troll is bad

#17 Edited by Wasdie (49631 posts) -

Maybe to get it compiling and a version running. That doesn't mean the game is playable.

#18 Edited by magicalclick (22449 posts) -

Well, it runs Universal Apps. Although it needs to be OKed by MS to publish. That's pretty much about it.

#19 Edited by clyde46 (45085 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

bad troll is bad

It can't even run BF4 at playable FPS with low settings.

#20 Edited by remiks00 (1718 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@applebeatspc said:

bad troll is bad

#21 Posted by superbuuman (2686 posts) -

So does this mean they're gonna develop for PC first now?...if so that'd be great. :P