Playstation 3

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
[QUOTE="MaKaV3Li666"]

The PS3 was supposed to dominate at launch.

Thewbacca
What gave you that idea?

People seemed to automatically assume that it would, just because the PS1 and PS2 were big successes. The same thing happened when the PSP came out; People assumed that it would dominate Nintendo.

As history proves though, prior successes do not guarantee future ones. Nintendo was top dog with the NES and SNES, but fell into second with the N64. The Atari 2600 was a big hit, but none of their later systems fared all that well. Sega Master system was reasonably successful, especially in poorer countries, and initially the Genesis sold well, but they just couldn't recapture that spark afterward.

Avatar image for Battle-In-Flash
Battle-In-Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Battle-In-Flash
Member since 2008 • 123 Posts

It launched at $600. You don't launch a videogame console for $600.Floppy_Jim

This post is proof of intelligence.

この投稿知能証明している。

ShamrockRovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ShamrockRovers
Member since 2006 • 1441 Posts

Hopefully they'll know better next time.

Avatar image for Battle-In-Flash
Battle-In-Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Battle-In-Flash
Member since 2008 • 123 Posts
[QUOTE="Thewbacca"][QUOTE="MaKaV3Li666"]

ThePlothole
What gave you that idea?

People seemed to automatically assume that it would, just because the PS1 and PS2 were big successes. The same thing happened when the PSP came out; People assumed that it would dominate Nintendo.

As history proves though, prior successes do not guarantee future ones. Nintendo was top dog with the NES and SNES, but fell into second with the N64. The Atari 2600 was a big hit, but none of their later systems fared all that well. Sega Master system was reasonably successful, especially in poorer countries, and initially the Genesis sold well, but they just couldn't recapture that spark afterward.

Wise words

-General_Ram-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 -General_Ram-
Member since 2008 • 998 Posts

Ps1 and PS2 took the mass market in mind.

By forcing bluray and a $600 price tag, and also by underdelievering on software promises.........

there u go.

ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 ukillwegrill
Member since 2007 • 3528 Posts

[QUOTE="Jakendo"]It takes the soul of three infants to make a PS3. People really dont want to support that. Thus, they lose sales. verbtex

Erm, okay. That was pretty lame.

But even then, people still eat meat, even though it denies meals from starving kids. Remember 15 pounds of vegetables can only produce 1 pound of meat.

Living on vegetables alone is a poor poor diet, not fit for a human being.

dan123collins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dan123collins
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts
that was americans prices it was even worse in the uk at $425 or $850 how insances that,thats waht killed it for me i was all hypedup about it and was a die hard playstation fan but got the xbox due to the price and cause i played geras at my mates and the jump from ps2 graphics/gameplay converted me
Thewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58 Thewbacca
Member since 2006 • 3197 Posts
[QUOTE="Thewbacca"][QUOTE="MaKaV3Li666"]

ThePlothole
What gave you that idea?

Yeah, but the Ps1 and Ps2 were not instant successes - everyone knows that. The 360's dominance is short lived.
Avatar image for Simulator_Shock
Simulator_Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -5

#59 Simulator_Shock
Member since 2006 • 1705 Posts
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Thewbacca"][QUOTE="MaKaV3Li666"]

Thewbacca
What gave you that idea?

Yeah, but the Ps1 and Ps2 were not instant successes - everyone knows that. The 360's dominance is short lived.

Why do you Cows always say that? Like you all believe that some miracle will happen and the 360 will just suddenly die off and the PS3 will florish and take down the Wii's sales and reign supreme forever and ever.....*sigh*

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#60 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts
[QUOTE="verbtex"]

[QUOTE="Jakendo"]It takes the soul of three infants to make a PS3. People really dont want to support that. Thus, they lose sales. ukillwegrill

Erm, okay. That was pretty lame.

But even then, people still eat meat, even though it denies meals from starving kids. Remember 15 pounds of vegetables can only produce 1 pound of meat.

Living on vegetables alone is a poor poor diet, not fit for a human being.

Its only because humans can't get over the fact that they don't need meat.

Its funny how most of the well known and recognized geniuses were all vegetarians. Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, and Stephen Hawking are vegetarians. Even though Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein are dead, they still refused to eat meat because they realized the health risks it came with.

I'm also pretty sure you recognize a few of these famous vegetarians.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="FragTycoon"]

$300.00 (2000) = $381.68 (2008 ) with inflation

FragTycoon

PSOne launched in 1995 at $300. The PS2 launched at $300 in 1999. I say they should have launched it at the normal price for the industry, not inflation.

Plus if anything, technology is expected to go down in price, not up. (just look at the average cost of a computer today compared to ten years ago, despite the fact that computers today are countless times more powerful)

$300 (1995) = $431.27 (2008 ) with inflation. For the PS2, If it had a standard HDD and LAN card it would add over $150 at the time (estimated by accessory cost)

I'm not saying that the PS3 is not expensive even by past standards. I am saying that It's not AS expensive as people make it out to be.

I don't think anyone can argue that every console not only has new technology but also more hardware in them now (HDD,LAN,WI-FI,CD,DVD,Blu-ray,Wireless controllers,motion control,HD/HDMI,new processors/GPU/RAM,ect).

example: In 1915 the Model T cost $440. Now it's safe to say that cars don't cost that much now day (not ones you want anyway). $440 sounds really cheap, but that equates $9,544.34 today.

I, along with you, would love for everything to stay the same price and have a console in 2020 to have the same price as today. But I know it wont.

One thing that needs to be remembered.... value is subjective.

Yeah I hate when people complain about paying $60 for a game when games in 1980 were $50 and sometimes a lot more. Games really haven't changed in price since the beginning of gaming.

People need to just get over paying the $10 more this gen, because when you stop to compare it to the price of things in 1980 to what they are now then it seems like you are getting a pretty good deal.

Thewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Thewbacca
Member since 2006 • 3197 Posts
[QUOTE="Thewbacca"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Thewbacca"][QUOTE="MaKaV3Li666"]

Simulator_Shock
What gave you that idea?

Why do you Cows always say that? Like you all believe that some miracle will happen and the 360 will just suddenly die off and the PS3 will florish and take down the Wii's sales and reign supreme forever and ever.....*sigh*

Its called 2009. The combination of at least 10 kick ass major exclusives and absolutely **** all decent games for the 360 will kill it off. The Ps3 isn't going to surpass the Wii, but it will take control of the hardore gamers market.

Whats that? You say I can't say these games will be good, despite all evidence of concepts, gameplay, graphics and story all sounding fantastic? Right, keep on thinking that.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts

Its called 2009. The combination of at least 10 kick ass major exclusives and absolutely **** all decent games for the 360 will kill it off. The Ps3 isn't going to surpass the Wii, but it will take control of the hardore gamers market.

Whats that? You say I can't say these games will be good, despite all evidence of concepts, gameplay, graphics and story all sounding fantastic? Right, keep on thinking that.

Thewbacca

Last year it was called 2008. Next year it will be called 2010.

The end result is that most games are now multiplatform and the 360 is by far the cheaper box.

Unless Sony find some way of really pressing home their "blu-ray" advantage, I can't see much changing between the two consoles.

Simulator_Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Simulator_Shock
[QUOTE="Simulator_Shock"][QUOTE="Thewbacca"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Thewbacca"][QUOTE="MaKaV3Li666"]

Thewbacca
What gave you that idea?

Right, and what did all the Cows all say in 06? and 07? and this year? Now its next year, and then it will be the year after that and so on and so forth until Sony release's the PS4. You're only fooling yourself by thinking that. Just stop with the "next year" excuse, its really embarrassing to hear that now.

Avatar image for All_that_is_Man
All_that_is_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 All_that_is_Man
Member since 2008 • 2044 Posts

cheaper alternatives I guess

and it released way to late, or the 360 released way too early

killerfist

The 360 released early, its a known fact

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

That damn pricetag...

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
[QUOTE="killerfist"]

cheaper alternatives I guess

and it released way to late, or the 360 released way too early

All_that_is_Man

The 360 released early, its a known fact

I think it released too early;)
ahmedkandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ahmedkandil
Member since 2004 • 2328 Posts

PS3 is the best system this gen. Anyone who agrees is just a fanboy.IvyCassandra

fixed

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts
People either couldnt wait another year or so for the ps3 and jumped on the 360 bandwagen or they waited for the ps3 and then saw that the graphics were basically identical and then bought the much cheaper 360. So yeah, price, hardware and halo/gears
tgzbdnosic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 tgzbdnosic
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts
yep that's what i say, some people just couldn't wait for the ps3 and maybe said "well they both have pretty much the same graphics so...i'll just get the xbox360 since it's the one that came out early", but i still got both of them it's always good to have both of them
LoZonedOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 LoZonedOut
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts
at first it was price and lack of games, now for some the price is still a little high but it has and will continue to come down. as far as games i honestly think that are on par with the other consoles since late 2007, for every great 360 game their is a great ps3 game and wii game no wait not wii.
joopyme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 joopyme
Member since 2008 • 2598 Posts

the only reason why the PS3 is the worst selling this gen is cuz of its price tag at launch, which led it to be hated

not the online service, cuz XBL was the best last gen, and yet PS2 outsold the xbox

not the games either, cuz the DC had better games within the first year of launch, but it didnt stop the PS2. did it?

if the ps3 retailed for 400 at launch, people would have been buying it for blu ray and for games

i hope sony realized where they went wrong, and have their next system launched at 400 at the most

Syk0_k03r

haha.. thought you wer general ram for second there and was gonna say that he posted something good for a change.

anyway, good post dude.

joopyme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 joopyme
Member since 2008 • 2598 Posts

[QUOTE="IvyCassandra"]PS3 is the best system this gen. Anyone who agrees is just a fanboy.ahmedkandil

fixed

selfownage. perhaps?

Flam3Thr0w3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74 Flam3Thr0w3r
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

For me, the Playstation 3 is not a dissapointment, at all.

The reason that people were dissapointed with it was a lack of good games after the launch.

People got impatient, and if the already had a PS3, sold it and got an XBOX 360, and if they were going to get a PS3, decided to get an XBOX 360 instead.

Sure, it was expensive at launch, but you have to remember that the Playstation 3 is more than a games console. At the time, it was the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market, and I'm pretty sure it's still one of the cheapest.

I personally thought that the launch was pretty good. Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall Of Man kept me entertained for quite a while, but there was a dry spot after that, when no decent games were coming out.

That's not a problem anymore though, because we have got great games coming out at the moment and great games coming out soon to look forward to.

I remember my cousin bought a Playstation 3 on launch day, he waited in line for ages. He then got it, and after a few months, was bored of it and sold it to get a XBOX 360. He still thinks the XBOX 360 is awesome, but he wishes he had saved up some money and bought an XBOX 360 and kept his PS3, seeing as there is no shortage of great games now.

ejstrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ejstrup
Member since 2005 • 2192 Posts
[QUOTE="Thewbacca"][QUOTE="Simulator_Shock"]

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]It launched at $600. You don't launch a videogame console for $600.Phazevariance

And it had no games for its launch.

What the hell were Resistance:Fall of Man and Motorstorm, then?

He meant no good games. Technically, take away multiplats, and they still don't have enough good games. Some, but not enough.

neither does microsoft, really :/

ramansingh3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ramansingh3
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts

I agree you don't launch a videogame console at $600 and especially when their were no good launch titles.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#77 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
The PlayStation 3 is the best! I'm all for it! It is true, even though the sales aren't showing it. All I can say to people is to get a PS3! Sure, it's expensive, but you get an awesome line-up of games (MGS4, best ever!), the best and most reliable hardware, great online that happens to be free of charge. It doesn't get much better. Quite simply, you pay the price for good quality.
Khansoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Khansoul
Member since 2004 • 4639 Posts

PS3 is the best system this gen. Anyone who denies that is just a fanboy.IvyCassandra

I think anyone who can claim this with a straight face is a true fanboy!

Simulator_Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Simulator_Shock

The PlayStation 3 is the best! I'm all for it! It is true, even though the sales aren't showing it. All I can say to people is to get a PS3! Sure, it's expensive, but you get an awesome line-up of games (MGS4, best ever!), the best and most reliable hardware, great online that happens to be free of charge. It doesn't get much better. Quite simply, you pay the price for good quality.metalgear-solid

Fanboy much?

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#80 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

Fanboy much?

Simulator_Shock
No, it's a rather objective view. Now calling X360 a better console, that's fanboyism.
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts
The launch price was ridiculously high compare to their competitor which eventually scared away the costumers. Most PS2 owners probably went on the Microsoft side which cut the fanbase for Sony by alot compare to those of PS2 and PS1. Not to mention how they tried to jammed the Bluray player to costumer, really we don't want a player just a gaming console.:? Losing some of their exclusive didn't help their causes much either.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

/thread

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]It is more than that though , they could have launched at $400 but the Wiimote/Wii Sports hype would have been enough to top it.agentfred

I disagree.

Frankly, I think the hype for the PS3 outmatched the Wii. If I remember correctly, the PS3 was in such high demand at launch, they were selling for 2000+ on Ebay. (This literally lasted DAYS. The expected demand FAR surpassed the actual demand) The reason why this didn't keep up was simply a lack of games.(The reason it didn't keep up was because you could readily buy a PS3 in stores within a week of launch. The 360 was hard to come by for more than 6 months after launch, and the Wii is hard to come by to this very day) Compared to the 360, it seemed to lack games, and compared to the Wii, it seemed to lack ingenuity. All that, and it was one of the most expensive consoles ever.

The Ps3 was stuck between these two, and it quickly lost all the hype it had gotten pre-launch. We started to see those 2000 dollar sales drop down, even below retail price IIRC. Started to? The high price lasted little more than launch week.

For almost two years now, Sony has been trying to rebuild the reputation it lost in a few short months.It lost in a few short DAYS.

While I agree with your general sentiment, you still gave the PS3 launch more credit than it deserved.
Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts
The PlayStation 3 is the best! Darn right, it does have the best library...oh wait. Well, it undeniably has the best graphics...oh wait. Well it does have the largest library...oh wait. It's got the best online service....oh wait. Ummm, uhhh, it's got ummm, uhhhh BLURAY!!!!! I'm all for it! It is true, even though the sales aren't showing it. You mean even though NOTHING shows it? All I can say to people is to get a PS3! Unless you want to play games just as good for half the price. Sure, it's expensive, but you get an awesome line-up of games(don't you mean awesome lineup of game without the s? (MGS4, best ever! Funny, I see a whole bunch of games from this generation alone rated higher), the best (if its the best shouldn't there actually be some evidence to support that? and most reliable hardware(Really, I have heard zero problems with the Wii hardware), great online that happens to be free of charge.(So in the span of a few sentences you went from "Paying extra is worth quality" to "free is great even if not as good"? It doesn't get much better(Yes it does, if you buy a games console to play games). Quite simply, you pay the price for good quality.(Yet this doesn't apply to the online service right?)metalgear-solid
Just say MOOOO next time and save us all some time.