Phil Spencer fires shots at fanboyism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Top lad. Enjoy, warriors:

An active dislike for people who own other systems is unhealthy behaviour, Microsoft Studios vice president Phil Spencer has said.

Speaking during an interview at the South by Southwest 2014 Gaming Expo earlier this month, Spencer was discussing the games industry in general when the topic of competition was presented.

More game videos from CVG:

"There seems to be this natural faction that gets created around what console you own, and then this... I would call it 'unhealthy dislike' for people who own the other console," Spencer replied.

"I think it should be competitive, but the competition is in the marketplace. I have a ton of respect for the people at Sony and the franchises they build. It's the same with Nintendo, or my friends at Valve.

"In the end, what we all want to do is to take this art form of playing games and experiencing the breaking down of the wall between the narrative and interaction, and just make a better form of entertainment."

He added: "I love the fans that we have, but being a fan of Xbox doesn't mean you can't be a fan of something else, or that you have to be an anti-fan of some other brand. I own a PlayStation 4. I play games on my PlayStation 4. I own and I play games on my Wii U. I learn a ton from what happens on those other platforms."

Spencer's comments echo those he gave in an interview in January, in which he stated that Sony had "done a nice job" with the PS4 and that he "really respects their focus on investing in new and creative things".

He is, of course, right. Fanboyism is idiotic. Do you agree? Whilst system preference makes sense, given that factors such as monetary concerns exist, loyalty to a product, especially in a forum such as this, is ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Just another example of MS butthurt and desperation. This article wouldn't exist if Xbone hadn't flopped so hard.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Yeah @kinectthedots stop being such a horrible fanboy.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@Crossel777 said:

Just another example of MS butthurt and desperation. This article wouldn't exist if Xbone hadn't flopped so bad.

Looks like Phil Spencer is right. You are just a fanboy and hater. You don´t even own a system. SO STFU and buy a life.

You just proved that Microsoft is right.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

"There seems to be this natural faction that gets created around what console you own, and then this... I would call it 'unhealthy dislike' for people who own the other console," Spencer replied.

He's not wrong

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

PR fluff.

Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Venom951
Member since 2012 • 389 Posts

3 million units in 4 months isn't a flop by any means and more will sell due to TITANFALL weather you like the game or not . This man has a point I own all new Next - Gen systems and I like them all for respected reasons . At the moment I am currently stuck to X1 due to their games library already it has games that appeal to me . Sony is still developing some great games and will have some Smash hits this year no doubt . these console fanboy wars argument go absolutely no where ALL Company's want your money $$$ that's a fact so to side with corporations like is not right just play the games that appeal to you if something looks good try it . Don't be like a 5 year who says he doesn't like vegetables when they haven't even tried it . I know money is a concern so research and see what gaming ecosystem works for you but don't be a troll and hate for no reason or to just start up fights focus on how to make gaming go forward cause in the end we determine what is good or not through sales of what we buy . If COD is so bad millions of people would not buy it but fact is it sells and appeals to most people so think before you bash a game or system have reasoning and sense with your arguments .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

Just another example of MS butthurt and desperation. This article wouldn't exist if Xbone hadn't flopped so bad.

Looks like Phil Spencer has right. You are just a fanboy and hater. You don´t even own a system. SO STFU and buy a life.

I'm a proud owner of PS4 and PC. I take great pleasure in putting the laughable lowly competition in it's place. Phil Spencer isn't right about anything. He's just showing that him and his company cannot take constructive criticism from the gaming community.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FreedomFreeLife

@Crossel777 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

Looks like Phil Spencer has right. You are just a fanboy and hater. You don´t even own a system. SO STFU and buy a life.

I'm a proud owner of PS4 and PC. I take great pleasure in putting the laughable lowly competition in it's place. Phil Spencer isn't right about anything. He's just showing that him and his company cannot take constructive criticism from the gaming community.

So you poor. So far Microsoft is winning. They make profits, Sony and Nintendo is losing. Also, Microsoft earned with 1 year same much profit as Nintendo and Sony has money left on their hand. So with 1 year Microsoft could easily buy Sony or Nintendo.

In short, you are lower class and you never will be ELITE

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

He's not wrong

This

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lostrib

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

So you poor. So far Microsoft is winning. They make profits, Sony and Nintendo is losing. Also, Microsoft earned with 1 year same much profit as Nintendo and Sony has money left on their hand. So with 1 year Microsoft could easily buy Sony or Nintendo.

And here we see a shining example of unhealthy fanboy behavior

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Crossel777 said:

Just another example of MS butthurt and desperation. This article wouldn't exist if Xbone hadn't flopped so hard.

Whatever.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FreedomFreeLife

@lostrib said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

I own all platforms, PC is my favorite. He owns nothing. He just tells what he knows and thats it. He never played Xbox One games.

In facts, people who don´t own other platforms has no right to say anything.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lostrib

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@lostrib said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

I own all platforms, PC is my favorite. He owns nothing. He just tells what he knows and thats it. He never played Xbox One games.

In facts, people who don´t own other platforms has no right to say anything.

You're only making it worse. Also, do you purposely write in poor english?

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

@Venom951 said:

3 million units in 4 months isn't a flop by any means and more will sell due to TITANFALL weather you like the game or not .

I really like the game but all the signs so far (chart positions, MS giving the game away free in bundles) suggest that won't be the case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

@lostrib said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

I know right and it only seems to be on the Xbone side. Phil Spencer is a bit of a hypocrite isn't he? PS4 fans are only doing what any sane person would do and that's supporting the more successful console. Meanwhile xboners are deluding themselves into thinking paying more for less is the right thing to do. Very unhealthy behavior indeed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

*still waiting for the first post to say that fanboyism is smart*

ofcourse it's not smart, but you can, absolutely, have debate on wich of the systems is better than the other, and for what reasons. we all know internet, though. it quickly gets out of hands.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib

@Crossel777 said:

@lostrib said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Crossel777 said:

I know right and it only seems to be on the Xbone side. Phil Spencer is a bit of a hypocrite isn't he? PS4 fans are only doing what any sane person would do and that's supporting the more successful console. Meanwhile, xboners are deluding themselves into thinking paying more for less is the right thing to do.

*facepalm*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@FreedomFreeLife said:

is this guy for real?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

@groowagon said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

is this guy for real?

Sadly.. it's real. This is the type of unhealthy fanboyism that needs to be abolished. Xboners and Microsoft need to be filtered out of the gaming industry in order for there to be peace. Nintendo can stay, because they're healthy competition.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Yeah it's pretty obvious that the extremely toxic gaming culture is harmful to pretty much everyone. Would be good if people could take it down a notch (I'm trying to do that myself :) ). Also more focus on game content (as opposed to say resolution) and a deeper discussion about that could only lead to good things.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts

I don't think anyone really loses sleep or dislikes other console owners... it's all in good fun... right guys? ... right!? 0_o

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#23 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

He has a Wii U? =D

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@dommeus said:

Top lad. Enjoy, warriors:

An active dislike for people who own other systems is unhealthy behaviour, Microsoft Studios vice president Phil Spencer has said.

Speaking during an interview at the South by Southwest 2014 Gaming Expo earlier this month, Spencer was discussing the games industry in general when the topic of competition was presented.

More game videos from CVG:

"I think it should be competitive, but the competition is in the marketplace. I have a ton of respect for the people at Sony and the franchises they build. It's the same with Nintendo, or my friends at Valve.

"In the end, what we all want to do is to take this art form of playing games and experiencing the breaking down of the wall between the narrative and interaction, and just make a better form of entertainment."

He added: "I love the fans that we have, but being a fan of Xbox doesn't mean you can't be a fan of something else, or that you have to be an anti-fan of some other brand. I own a PlayStation 4. I play games on my PlayStation 4. I own and I play games on my Wii U. I learn a ton from what happens on those other platforms."

Spencer's comments echo those he gave in an interview in January, in which he stated that Sony had "done a nice job" with the PS4 and that he "really respects their focus on investing in new and creative things".

He is, of course, right. Fanboyism is idiotic. Do you agree? Whilst system preference makes sense, given that factors such as monetary concerns exist, loyalty to a product, especially in a forum such as this, is ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more. Not choosing to buy the "other" product doesn't mean those who do are stupid, uninformed, or so brand loyal they'll buy something even though it has nothing they actually want. Buy whatever you like irregardless of anything, and stop making people justify why they like what they like. We can debate and make fun of and support what we like best, but the serious ignorant BS from some is irritating and unnecessary. I might be pro-MS, but they don't pay my bills and I own no stock. If they ever stop making stuff I like my money will go elsewhere. Video games are fun, not life.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

I think this is a common case of taking the internet too seriously.

The most hardened fanboys don't really exist in the real world they are often personas created by normal (Often silly) people who act in ways to get a rise out of others. I don't think anyone would walk into my house and punch me in the face because I have a PS4 and no Xbone.

Sometimes I feel that people don't understand this side of the internet where utter extremes can be expressed due to the anonimity, and people who probably don't really care either way get a kick out of seeing people have knee-jerk reactions to the extreme mindset that doesn't exist. People are drawn to "Call them out" because it's such a odd behaviour that it's alsmost "Unhuman"...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@Gesyma said:

I don't think anyone really loses sleep or dislikes other console owners... it's all in good fun... right guys? ... right!? 0_o

let's just say that my discussion would be totally fanboy-free in real life. no one in their right mind would ever disrespect another person because of a goddamn gaming console.

in the internet, though, you can go a little ape sometimes :) hell, this forum is called system wars ffs! all in good fun, absolutely.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

LOL.....funny thread.

cantloginnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By cantloginnow
Member since 2013 • 381 Posts

@Crossel777: Lol.Reading through your comments,what a load of crap.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

He's still biter of the abortion of a reveal they had for Xbone and then getting knocked the **** out at E3.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I don't like any system all that much. Not the PS3, not my Xbox. Not even my PC.

Its all about the games, Multiplatform games. I don't encourage exclusives because I want everybody to be able to enjoy what I do. This habbit of fanboys celebrating a game NOT being on other systems is just stupid. Thats right Cows, I'm looking at you !

They get more joy knowing that others can't play God of War than they do from actually playing it themselves.

Whats messed up is gamespot forums encourages System Whores, how else are they gona get traffic.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

You should watch the way Bears and Packers fans go at each other, Philly boy.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#32 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

he is right , though i do like nintendo more then sony or ms but that dont mean i dont own the others cause i own every pupular platform from the 5 major players -atari 2600 -sega genesis -saturn dc sega cd the only sega console i dont possess is the master system the only major atari platform i dont own is jaguar or 5200 , i own every playstation and nintendo and xbox made, that being said , this guy is 100 percent correct fanboyism is what is hurting the industry

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Goddamnn preachy hippy razzmatazz is all this is. Go fanboys!

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

There's already a thread on this topic.