Phil Fish: YouTubers need to give a huge cut to devs

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

So, here's what Phil Fish has to say on YTers and making money off of playing games.

"YouTubers should have to pay out a huge portion of their revenue to the developers from which they steal all their content. Ad revenue should be shared with developers. This should be built into YouTube. Anything else is basically piracy."

• "If you generate money from putting my content on your channel, you owe me money. Simple as that."
  • "If you buy a movie, are you then allowed to stream the entirety of it publicly for people to watch for free? No, because that's illegal."
  • "Systems are in place to prevent that. But buy Fez, put ALL of it on YouTube, turn on ads, make money from it and that's TOTALLY FINE."
  • "And the developer should in NO WAY be compensated for their work being freely distributed to the world. Right. Makes sense."
#2 Posted by lostrib (34335 posts) -

Isn't this the dumbass that cancelled his game and left the industry because the media hurt his wittle feelings?

#3 Posted by Slashkice (13048 posts) -

Comparing watching a movie to watching a streamed game is a stupid point, but Phil does like to say a lot of stupid things.

#4 Posted by trugs26 (5294 posts) -

He could be right. People throw out the "free advertising" claim, but in all honesty, a lot of people just watch a game and don't bother with buying it. They're there because of the commentary, which is supplemented by the source material (ie the game).

#5 Edited by freedomfreak (39130 posts) -

That dude is a proper moron.

God, I remember when he was going on about VR. "It should be like discovering new things, you know, like when you do acid.."

#6 Posted by sSubZerOo (43064 posts) -

Meanwhile, the youtuber is more or less advertising their game.. Many games I would have never known existed or knew it were good if I hadn't seen it on youtube.. The door goes both ways, and seeing as these developers and publishers are exploding with money.. With each project getting bigger and bigger, I would like to tell Phil to fvck off.

#7 Posted by silversix_ (14062 posts) -

Fish: STFU Edition.

#8 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Isn't this the dumbass that cancelled his game and left the industry because the media hurt his wittle feelings?

Yep...

#9 Edited by GamingGod999 (2962 posts) -

Phil Fish should learn to STFU.

#10 Edited by lostrib (34335 posts) -

His twitter account before he deleted it

#11 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6924 posts) -

@lostrib said:

His twitter account before he deleted it

LOL what a dumbass.

#12 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4400 posts) -

i find this issue interesting but without any real practical solutions.

probably best to stick to the status quo.

after all young dev, wouldn't a widely watched youtube video about your computer game, a video produced by someone else - wouldn't that be essentially 'free' advertising? sure they get money from youtube, but the dev's not directly funding marketing of the game.

let's just hope the game has significant merit, so the youtuber doesn't slam the game.

#13 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24881 posts) -

I thought he wasn't part of the Industry anymore.

#14 Posted by ActicEdge (24351 posts) -

Just because you watch a let's play, doesn't mean someone was gonna buy your game. That's a HUGE leap in logic. Also, the commentary makes the Let's Play, no one watches those with shitty uninteresting people narrating.

#15 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3013 posts) -

So should publications cut money to the devs for previewing their game too?

#16 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

I agree with him.

#17 Posted by Netret0120 (2028 posts) -

I agree with him.

I can agree with him too but I can also say that developers wouldn't even get the money if other gamers didn't watch these channels online and end up buying the games themselves.

I wouldn't have been interested in the Batman games until I watched a few parts of a walkthrough and liked what I saw and ended up buying the game myself hence giving the developer money.

#18 Edited by donalbane (16201 posts) -

Watching somebody play a game is not the same as playing the game yourself.

#19 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13405 posts) -

lmao

#20 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7503 posts) -

I agree. Without the content being created in the first place, these Youtubers making bank wouldn't be since they'd have nothing to comment on and play. Revenue should be split 50/50 for Youtubers that do commentaries. For users that just upload gameplay, well, they should barely get anything. I know the only time I even check out a game through a LP is if I have no plans on buying it. Most games don't have multiple endings or branching paths so, that excuse of free advertising is pretty flat. We're talking about full playthroughs.

#22 Posted by magicalclick (22438 posts) -

I thought that would be the case for boring games. Was he saying his game is boring? Yes, some games can easily skipped after watching it on YouTube. Is he wants to get paid, make games that are worthless on tube. FPS, city building games, ugly Flappy Bird all makes tuber pointless.

#23 Posted by jsmoke03 (12746 posts) -

he has more grounds with getting a cut from used game sales than he has with free advert from youtube users

#24 Posted by PopeAnonymousXV (37 posts) -

Phil Fish isn't relevant to gaming now, never was, in fact.

#25 Edited by f50p90 (3754 posts) -

If someone cuts and edits the content and uses it for say a review, like an Angry Joe, then that's Joe's content and developers don't deserve a cut from that. If someone simply streams a game or posts clips of game play, then they aren't even supposed to get revenue from that in the first place. There is no cut for developers to get.. Youtube revenue is supposed to only be for original content which that isn't

#26 Edited by lundy86_4 (42979 posts) -

What a boob.

#27 Posted by clyde46 (44856 posts) -
#28 Posted by jsmoke03 (12746 posts) -

@f50p90 said:

If someone cuts and edits the content and uses it for say a review, like an Angry Joe, then that's Joe's content and developers don't deserve a cut from that. If someone simply streams a game or posts clips of game play, then they aren't even supposed to get revenue from that in the first place. There is no cut for developers to get.. Youtube revenue is supposed to only be for original content which that isn't

phil fish has nothing to stand on even with that.

so do developers get money from gaming websites that post walk thru? or gaming previous?

so do developers get money from gaming websites for the advert revenue that they receive?

if phil fish wanted revenue from youtube...he should make an account and troll some people.

he should stop worrying what pewdiepie does and worry about his games

#29 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13405 posts) -

Whoever made happy wheels should be filthy rich then with how many Youtubers that have whored that flash game out.

#30 Posted by lostrib (34335 posts) -
#31 Posted by lawlessx (46542 posts) -

isn't this the guy that cried his way out of the gaming industry?

#32 Posted by clyde46 (44856 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

isn't this the guy that cried his way out of the gaming industry?

Yes, yes it was.

#33 Edited by aroxx_ab (9265 posts) -

Comparing watching a movie to watching a streamed game is a stupid point, but Phil does like to say a lot of stupid things.

But some movies is advertised as games, then the full thing is uploaded on youtube. He got a point.

#34 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4400 posts) -
@lostrib said:

@clyde46 said:

@amazonangry said:

I agree with him.

Explain?

Somehow I doubt that will help

maybe like a few hours ago we'll see a deleted post

#35 Posted by UnifiedConsole (30 posts) -

I Like his work but I dislike him. Wish he would focus on making great games and hire a PR person.

#36 Edited by f50p90 (3754 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

@f50p90 said:

phil fish has nothing to stand on even with that.

so do developers get money from gaming websites that post walk thru? or gaming previous?

so do developers get money from gaming websites for the advert revenue that they receive?

if phil fish wanted revenue from youtube...he should make an account and troll some people.

he should stop worrying what pewdiepie does and worry about his games

That's not really my point. Even the uploader isn't supposed to get any revenue from that PER YouTube terms and conditions. So yeah basically what i'm saying is there is no where for a developer to get youtube revenue. It's either original content where the revenue belongs to the uploader, or it's not original and no one gets revenue

#37 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Mr. Fish is still alive ey ?

You know whats funny.... He's absolutely right... But theres no way in hell I'm agreeing to any of those terms simply because I don't want....

#38 Posted by bbkkristian (14942 posts) -

He should be glad people are even playing his damn game.

Look, these lets play things are great marketing, now for them to do games where there is little gameplay and more story (heavy rain, beyond two souls), I can understand wanting compensation. But for games like Grand Theft Auto, Zelda, and Mario, these demand more user interaction and appeal the audience to go play the game (or not) just like an advertisement.

#39 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70623 posts) -

The guy needs to shut the fuck up, he's a fucking idiot. Go back an make Fez 2...

#40 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10324 posts) -
@lostrib said:

Its not that simple, what the public said about him was beyond reproach -- just horrid things in every way. The reason because he delayed his game in order to finish it and because he cancelled Fez 2 because of what terrible things gamers said about him.

#41 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride

I don't Ive ever heard you talk like that before. :o

yes... I watch you quietly from a distance....

#42 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4400 posts) -
@lostrib said:

Its not that simple, what the public said about him was beyond reproach -- just horrid things in every way. The reason because he delayed his game in order to finish it and because he cancelled Fez 2 because of what terrible things gamers said about him.

i wonder how 'complete' fez 2 was in order for him to cancel it in a huff.

i mean, it's a huge investment of time, effort and energy - video game production. i reckon the game was probably barely past the conceptual stage, otherwise who's going to toss away that amount of work because someone on the internet behaved like a person on the internet?

surely if the game was at something like alpha/beta testing and debugging stage, he wouldn't go tossing aside a project that far into completion.

#43 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70623 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride

I don't Ive ever heard you talk like that before. :o

yes... I watch you quietly from a distance....

sorry, but it's fair use. He get's free advertisment and it's not the same as a movie. A game is played differently everytime you play it. Companies/publishers and developers have freaking realized this. Guys like this and Cliff might make awesome games, but they need to shut the fuck up

#44 Edited by SexyJazzCat (897 posts) -

Phil Fish should pay people to upload videos of Fez.

I wanna see him pay for advertisement that youtube generates.

#45 Edited by lostrib (34335 posts) -

@lostrib said:

What exactly was said that was so beyond reproach from the media? though if he let a bunch of dicks on twitter get to him enough to throw away his game, that's kind of sad.

Although, he's not exactly well known for saying nice things or being overly tactful.

#46 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride

Guys like him would fit in quite nicely in Micro$oft. :p

#47 Edited by uninspiredcup (7817 posts) -

Isn't this the hipster young person who said potty mouth bad things and then cried and left when someone said a potty mouth bad thing back?

#48 Posted by SexyJazzCat (897 posts) -

@f50p90: Clearly you're wrong, otherwise youtube wouldn't allow monetization of such content.

#49 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70623 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride

Guys like him would fit in quite nicely in Micro$oft. :p

Not likely, because he quit gaming, yet he still bitches

#50 Posted by nutcrackr (12465 posts) -

I think there is some merit to what he is saying but it's a really grey area. One question that should be asked is whether the actual use of lets plays reduce sales for games and I don't think there is any evidence of that. Some games like Goat Simulator see huge sales boosts when somebody like pewdiepie plays with it.