PC power doesn't matter when you have sub par animation

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Look at the horrible animation of The Witcher

Compare that to Demon's Souls

See how much better the Animation is for Demon's Souls is? The animation is so much better that even if you crank the resolution and effects for the Witcher all the way up Demon's Souls is still the better looking game. How can this be? Demon Souls is a console game and the witcher is a PC exclusive! They're both low budget so there is no excuse.

So the next time somoene tells you "consoles are ruining.." this and "..only 512mb of ram" that, you tell them that animation and collision detection are way more important, and at that sort of thing is way more dependant on developer skill not the pricetag of your GPU.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
Didn't Demon Souls come out like, two years after the Witcher. Just look at the Witcher 2.
Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pray_to_me

gmaster456

You're the one trolling and trying to derail my thread. If you don't agree then feel free to explain why.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]Didn't Demon Souls come out like, two years after the Witcher. Just look at the Witcher 2.

And the witcher using a seriously ancient bioware engine. It had horrible animations, there are no misconceptions about that but the game itself wasn't graphically special in the first place.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts

Logic is horribly flawed, you are expressing a completely situational scenario based on the developer rather than the system. The thing is in that situation the system wasn't a limiting factor, when there are so many other factors that are system-dependent.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="lettuceman44"]Didn't Demon Souls come out like, two years after the Witcher. Just look at the Witcher 2.

And the witcher using a seriously ancient bioware engine. It had horrible animations, there are no misconceptions about that but the game itself wasn't graphically special in the first place.

Uh, duh. How did I forget it was using Bioware's old Aurora engine. Its a surprise they even made it look so good.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
As someone who loves Demon's Souls I have to say that that game actually doesn't have very good animation. Watch in awe as that sword clips through the main character before the blue eyed knight gets slammed to the floor in an unrealistic fashion (probably after magically sliding away from the wall so the animation can complete without having to factor in the wall). Then as the body gets caught on your foot and flies around in a hilarious manner.
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Its of the things that really bothered me when this gen started.... Look at old games like Fight Night 3 compare to what they have now.... its a huge improvement. Even looking at a game like Crysis had sub par charater animation, though they are much improved in Crysis 2. A game need good animation, and physics, if it wants to have good graphics.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pray_to_me

Logic is horribly flawed, you are expressing a completely situational scenario based on the developer rather than the systemDiviniuz

Developer skill is more important then system specs in other words.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

[QUOTE="gmaster456"]

Pray_to_me

You're the one trolling and trying to derail my thread. If you don't agree then feel free to explain why.

If anyones derailing the thread its you. The argument your trying to create is silly. Your comparing a 2007 game to a 2009, And the Witcher 1 wasn't really known for having amazing graphics and animation in the first place,watch this thread crash and burn.

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

That's what you call the Aurora Engine. Try harder.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts

[QUOTE="Diviniuz"]Logic is horribly flawed, you are expressing a completely situational scenario based on the developer rather than the systemPray_to_me

Developer skill is more important then system specs in other words.

completely situational, you are acting like developers have never been limited by the hardware.

One situation can't be applied to everyhing

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pray_to_me

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

[QUOTE="gmaster456"]

gmaster456

If anyones derailing the thread its you. The argument your trying to create is silly. Your comparing a 2007 game to a 2009, And the Witcher 1 wasn't really known for having amazing graphics and animation in the first place,watch this thread crash and burn.

And yet everyday here somone says a 2007 game is "graphics king"...

Try actual debate instead of just slander.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gmaster456

[QUOTE="gmaster456"]

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

Pray_to_me

lol wut? :P slander? I thought we were talking about The Witcher not Crysis. My bad

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

You are cherry-picking here. Furthermore, The Witcher was based on a very old Bioware engine that was completely revamped, but was still heavily dated.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
Man... what is up with the logic here. Can I ask why we are cherry picking old games to newer games to try to debate something that is subjective.. ?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ace6301

[QUOTE="gmaster456"]

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

Pray_to_me

Said 2007 game also has better animation than your 2009 console game.
Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pray_to_me

You are cherry-picking here. Furthermore, The Witcher was based on a very old Bioware engine that was completely revamped, but was still heavily dated.

lundy86_4

But shouldent the superior ram of the PC overide that fact? Or is a systems specs only a fraction of the factors that determines a games aesthetics?

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

[QUOTE="gmaster456"]

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

Pray_to_me

Using your own logic, that would mean that the PS3 is a crummy console compared to the X360 because the animations in Valkyria Chronicles are far worse than the animations in Halo Reach.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lundy86_4

But shouldent the superior ram of the PC overide that fact? Or is a systems specs only a fraction of the factors that determines a games aesthetics?

Pray_to_me

What would the RAM have to do with anything regarding that? If the engine is dated, all your computer is gonna do is run it at crazy FPS. It won't magically increase texture resolutions, provide better animation, character detail etc etc.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pray_to_me

Said 2007 game also has better animation than your 2009 console game. Ace6301

I don't agree. But to each

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gmaster456

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Pray_to_me

You should leave before things start to get ugly. You won't last long against the band of hermits around here
Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pray_to_me

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

lundy86_4

What would the RAM have to do with anything regarding that? If the engine is dated, all your computer is gonna do is run it at crazy FPS. It won't magically increase texture resolutions, provide better animation, character detail etc etc.

Exactly

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gmaster456

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

Pray_to_me

Exactly

Exactly what lol? What point are you trying to make?
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jedikevin2
I am also confused where the TC is even trying to debate once he started to talk about Ram.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

Pray_to_me

Exactly

So you stated the obvious... Where do we go from here? Things like animation are going to be down to better engines, things like Mo-Cap which can be expensive for devs etc. You used a fairly low-budget PC game running on an old and dated engine. All you managed to show was that you are trying to stick in a generally lower quality (in terms of design) game against a game that came a few years after and is a 2nd party title (?).

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pray_to_me

Animation is more important then aliasing buffering and all that mumbo jumbo.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jedikevin2

Pray_to_me
Or someone could say, higher resolution, immersion(triple screen), Particle effects, AA, etc are just as important as Animations... regardless though, your original argument is flawed.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
You could have chosen one of The Witcher's killing animations since you chose a Demon's Souls killing animation....
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lundy86_4

Pray_to_me

Based on what? Any sort fo fact? You are just stating something arbitrarily and running with it. This topic fell on its face kinda hard.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gmaster456

Pray_to_me
How can you say that if you don't know what all that Aliasing, buffering and "all that other mumbo jumbo" is or does?
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

Epic fail at trolling TC.

Your logic is basically saying "game X" vs "game B" clearly proves that PCs epic graphic capabilities are irrelevant, which is clearly a flawed test of your hypothesis.

How about: game X on both systems? BC2 for example is in a different league on PC, to the point that I would scoff at it on console.

Or are you honestly suggesting that the PC isn't capable of Demon Souls animation quality? Watch a BF3 video plox.

If you love the consoles thats fine, but trying to invalidate a clearly superior platform with obviously flawed logic is trite and comes off as mere jealousy.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Pray_to_me
If your going to try and make an argument against PC gaming..do some research on that "mumbo jumbo"
Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pray_to_me

Just because a PC can be more powerful then consoles doesn't mean that some games on consoles can look better then some games on PC.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

This is like saying the power of PS3 and 360 don't matter because Twilight Princess has better animations than Fable II, so clearly the Wii is better.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lundy86_4

Just because a PC can be more powerful then consoles doesn't mean that some games on consoles can look better then some games on PC.

Pray_to_me

Yes, when talking subjectively (usually when talking artistically). Objectively, that would be difficult because you'd need to measure it in order to determine if its factual (usually done on the technical aspect).

TC you are basically just using subjective reasoning and coming to a conclusion all to yourself. Good on ya!

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gmaster456

Pray_to_me

Yes it does. Find one game from the same year with comparable gameplay on both platforms and prove me wrong

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ace6301

Pray_to_me
Thanks captain obvious for that amazing statement. There are games on the NES that look better than choice games from this Gen. If you cherry pick then obviously you're going to get the results you want. Fact is the best PC games look far better than the best looking console games and many also have better animation. I mean the Source engine has some of the best facial animation in it's games and it's from half way through last gen.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

The problem with consoles aren't the graphics, its the controls. 2 analog sticks and a few buttons aren't enough to create A) a good UI and B) a PC-level deep game.

That is why consoles ruin games. More memory/cpu would allow devs to create more AI/open worlds, but the real issue is definitely the controls.

Other than that consoles are A:OK.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Yet the Witcher is probably the best RPG to come out this gen so far.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#42 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Those two .gifs make a terrible comparison.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#43 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

jasonharris48
It's not better than Demon's Souls.
Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pray_to_me

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

lundy86_4

Yes, when talking subjectively (usually when talking artistically). Objectively, that would be difficult because you'd need to measure it in order to determine if its factual (usually done on the technical aspect).

TC you are basically just using subjective reasoning and coming to a conclusion all to yourself. Good on ya!

You can hook up a machine to a game and it can analyize FPS, resolution AA methods, but unfortunately there's no machine that coould possibly count the animations in a game. The animations in a game the amount and the quality is quantifiable and not subjective but you can't just have access to that information by checking out the latest link at Lens of Truth but I could say for example that MGS4 has like 4 times the animations that Crysis does (not even including cut scenes) I could say that because I've played both games in their entirety.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pray_to_me

jasonharris48

I think it's pretty horrid.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]Didn't Demon Souls come out like, two years after the Witcher. Just look at the Witcher 2.ferret-gamer

TC will probably ignore this post sadly. Oh well btw nice sig.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

-Unreal-

It's not better than Demon's Souls.

I won't disagree or agree since I haven't played DS (yet) but so far out of the all the RPGs I've played this gen the Witcher is the best.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I think all games now a days should have good animations, more so then just trying to improve the graphics. Look at games like TES,Fallout,Metro, all decent looking games, but have bad animations. I dont think you should single out the PC here, since you will find games with horrible animation in all platforms.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lundy86_4

You can hook up a machine to a game and it can analyize FPS, resolution AA methods, but unfortunately there's no machine that coould possibly count the animations in a game. The animations in a game the amount and the quality is quantifiable and not subjective but you can't just have access to that information by checking out the latest link at Lens of Truth but I could say for example that MGS4 has like 4 times the animations that Crysis does (not even including cut scenes) I could say that because I've played both games in their entirety.

Pray_to_me

You can't see the woods for the tress and are overlooking my point. The point was that you are arbitrarily defining what is important in making a game look good. Furthermore, you are doing so by cherry-picking games to make your point, rather than looking at a reasonably sized sample. There are games with better animation on PC, but you are narrowing your focus way too much.

Why are you quantifying the amount of animations? What determines a full animation cycle? Who determines the quality of the animation? Do we go by smoothness? Amount? Degree of animation? Quality of animation? Realism of animation?What sorts of animations do we count? All are arbitrarily defined, and thus the count would likely be subjective as to what the person counting would deem necessary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Pray_to_me
You do realize you are trying to argue a point that the people you are arguing against recognized as common sense years ago.