PC gamers are killing themselves

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
With this comment i am referring to the amount of illegal downloads that occur with the games developed for pc's
When the amound of illegal downloads of a game exceeeds the actual amount sold is pretty appauling
why do pc gamers do this? it destroys their industry?
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

It's not like ALL of us do it. You're talking about it as if there wasn't a single person in the world who legitamately bought a PC game.

DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts
Console gamers are killing themselves because they do the same thing, see wut I did thar?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Handheld gamers are killing the handheld gaming market, oh noes :cry:

ShaDoW56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ShaDoW56
Member since 2005 • 1639 Posts

why do pc gamers do this? supras989

Because we can.

But seriously most of those are people who are just checking to see if the game is actually worth buying, kindof a try before you buy.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

I buy all my PC games, which is more than I can say the second I discovered something magical for the PS2 ;)

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
I buy most my pc games, but I haven't gone into a game store to get a pc game for quite some time now.
jayjayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jayjayman
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

With this comment i am referring to the amount of illegal downloads that occur with the games developed for pc's
When the amound of illegal downloads of a game exceeeds the actual amount sold is pretty appauling
why do pc gamers do this? it destroys their industry?supras989

because i dont want to pay $100 for moving pixels on a screen

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

It's not like ALL of us do it. You're talking about it as if there wasn't a single person in the world who legitamately bought a PC game.

MetroidPrimePwn

/agree, I buy all game from retail or steam (10 last year :D), I don't think I pirated a single game for the last 5 years and more.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

[QUOTE="supras989"]With this comment i am referring to the amount of illegal downloads that occur with the games developed for pc's
why do pc gamers do this? it destroys their industry?jayjayman

because i dont want to pay $100 for moving pixels on a screen

Huh? PC games usually don't cost 100 bucks. I can see maybe if you're cheap, and don't pay up the dough. But, don't lie about the price.

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 froidnite
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts
Same can be said to console gamers who rent games/buy used games.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
you know what really kills the pc market lately? MMORPGs. they are taking a lot of the usual pc gamers and making them focus on 1 game. because you don't have time to play others. WOW has 10million active players. how many would be buying other games if they weren't addicted to wow?
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

Handheld gamers are killing the handheld gaming market, oh noes :cry:

Jandurin

Take a look at PSPs software sales and hardware sales and you get a Clue:P

Millions of people don't buy a PSP to listen to music.

On the topic, yes I think it's hurting the industry but not at such great magnitude as some people would like to think. I also find it funny that a lot of people, especially hermits, are trying to downplay this. They claim in one thread that Digital Distribution is huge and in another thread, like this one, claim that illegally downloads is a very very small part.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

I buy all my PC games, which is more than I can say the second I discovered something magical for the PS2 ;)

Meu2k7

Are you trying to say that installing a chip in your PS2 and then download the game and burn it on DVD is more easy than just download a PC game?

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

you know what really kills the pc market lately? MMORPGs. they are taking a lot of the usual pc gamers and making them focus on 1 game. because you don't have time to play others. WOW has 10million active players. how many would be buying other games if they weren't addicted to wow? Ontain

I use to play Final Fantasy XI; A similiar and more complex game than WoW. I remember having to put a lot of time into that game and not have much time for others. I still bought video games, but I never really played em. I kind of missed out on last gen because of FFXI. Just because there are a lot of PC gamers on WoW doesn't mean they're not buying video games. :P

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Meu2k7
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

JLF1

Are you trying to say that installing a chip in your PS2 and then download the game and burn it on DVD is more easy than just download a PC game?

Lol? What chip? I cant explain the method here obviously, but you dont need a chip at all.

Thousands/millions have done this, its beena round for years, 2-3 years after launch.

Thats all im saying ... since I cant discuss this in any detail whatsoever.

Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

Taking a quick glance at only ONE of the most popular trackers on the net...

COD4: Xbox360 - 32,978 seeders / 124 leachers

Mass Effect - 46,897 seeders / 2 leachers

Your right, its only on the PC.

Dont get me started on handhelds.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

[QUOTE="Ontain"]you know what really kills the pc market lately? MMORPGs. they are taking a lot of the usual pc gamers and making them focus on 1 game. because you don't have time to play others. WOW has 10million active players. how many would be buying other games if they weren't addicted to wow? majadamus

I use to play Final Fantasy XI; A similiar and more complex game than WoW. I remember having to put a lot of time into that game and not have much time for others. I still bought video games, but I never really played em. I kind of missed out on last gen because of FFXI. Just because there are a lot of PC gamers on WoW doesn't mean they're not buying video games. :P

there will be a lot fewer i'm sure. most of them will not just buy and not play like you did. In fact most state as a benefit that they spend a lot less on entertainment (buying other games and going out) than they used to.

Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

Hey sweet misconception. Where did you pull that one out of of???

Link.

Coldplay07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Coldplay07
Member since 2002 • 4513 Posts
It's pretty bad for consoles and handhelds too. It's just that most people don't want to go through the assumed hassle of moving the media over.
jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts
All games are pirated. Consolities just like focusing on PC gamers, when it's a pretty weak argument since it occurs on thier platforms as well.
Burnsmiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Burnsmiesta
Member since 2004 • 1672 Posts
I'm sorry but I know many PC gamers and as far as I know they aren't committing mass suicide.
slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

JLF1

Hermit's secret

Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts
I don't ever illegally download. Firstly because it's robbing the guys who worked hard on it, and second, the downloads usually have trojans in them XD
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

[QUOTE="supras989"] why do pc gamers do this? ShaDoW56

Because we can.

But seriously most of those are people who are just checking to see if the game is actually worth buying, kindof a try before you buy.

Yeah that too. I would never pirate Starcraft 2 or anything of that calibur.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
Last I checked, those 200 million people were still alive. :|
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

Console gamers are killing themselves because they do the same thing, see wut I did thar?DucksBrains

how is that? i know that people do play modded consoles, but that's really a niche community. you have to admit that software piracy is far easier on PC.

tader-salad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tader-salad
Member since 2008 • 842 Posts
I don`t know why some people do it, maybe it`s because there really broke and they want to play a game really badly or who knows maybe there just bored or something.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

[QUOTE="supras989"] why do pc gamers do this? ShaDoW56

Because we can.

just like most people who download illegal MP3s do it just to hear what the songs like?

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts
Like WOW, I have NEVER seen one of these threads before :roll::roll:
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Man, piracy is blown way out of porportion by companies like Epic and ID who are using it as a scapegoat for their own mistakes by bringing consolized crap and crap in general to the PC and wondering why it ain't sellin.
whoody12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 whoody12
Member since 2004 • 4717 Posts
generalisation FTL
Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

[QUOTE="DucksBrains"]Console gamers are killing themselves because they do the same thing, see wut I did thar?clone01

how is that? i know that people do play modded consoles, but that's really a niche community. you have to admit that software piracy is far easier on PC.

A really niche community of ATLEAST 150,000 360 users in America.

10.64 360's in America / 150,000 = Atleast 1 in 71 360's in America are modded. Europe and especially Asia are always much bigger on this front too.

I wouldnt call that too niche.

sodpzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sodpzz
Member since 2007 • 85 Posts

you know what really kills the pc market lately? MMORPGs. they are taking a lot of the usual pc gamers and making them focus on 1 game. because you don't have time to play others. WOW has 10million active players. how many would be buying other games if they weren't addicted to wow? Ontain

maybe those gamers wouldn't play ANY PC games if it wasn't for WOW. I know a lot of people like that.

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
yeah but u know digital paid downloads aren't counted in sales u know right? its weird but true, they should so the sales will look better.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

Why? Why not, that's why. People have variety of reasons from "just trying it out" to simply "saving money", I doubt many of those who pirate all their games are actually gamers, without torrents etc. they most likely wouldn't buy the games anyway.

Also I don't really believe big companies whining how piracy is killing them, sure their games do get pirated a lot, but they also sell a lot. Smaller games with no marketing don't even get pirated, so whose to blame for that? Saying that every illegally downloaded game is one lost sale, is just bs. Without the ability to pirate, would YOU seriously buy all the music you've downloaded for free? Yeah few here would(and I'm sure they'll tell me that), but I'm willing to bet majority would just listen to their old ones or turn on the radio.

And one more, the quality. Good games sell, bad games don't. Well that's not always the case, but lets just say that a game that gets pirated a lot also sells a lot. If someone has the nerve to complain when a port like RE4(PC) doesn't sell, well they should take a look at the game first, and then at a torrent site and see that people aren't even bothering to download it illegally. Sometimes they just don't deserve the money, and put out those goddamn demos. System requirements are 50% of the time completely misleading, only way to really know how a game is gonna run on a computer that is between requirements and recommendations is to try the demo, and if that's lacking, it's like asking to get pirated.

But yes, as a conclusion it's sad, especially for the smaller devs who don't have money to put in marketing and reach those casuals who actually buy games.

awsss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 awsss
Member since 2005 • 1370 Posts

Yes, we have to admit that illegal downloading is happening, and that it is hurting the industry, but from this point on, only two things can happen:

1. It will stop, because of gov't intervention.
or
2. It will skyrocket, and yes, the gaming market will slowly perish.

I'm judging on number 1, because this trend of "only a small amount" has to change.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

[QUOTE="supras989"]With this comment i am referring to the amount of illegal downloads that occur with the games developed for pc's
why do pc gamers do this? it destroys their industry?awsss

Yes, we have to admit that illegal downloading is happening, and that it is hurting the industry, but from this point on, only two things can happen:

1. It will stop, because of gov't intervention.
or
2. It will skyrocket, and yes, the gaming market will slowly perish.

I'm judging on number 1, because this trend of "only a small amount" has to change.

Its happening to consoles too FYI.
Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts

I wonder how many pirated PS2 consoles there are at the moment. A lot, would be my guess.

MetalContra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MetalContra
Member since 2006 • 1131 Posts

Very good point.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Meu2k7

why do pc gamers do this? it destroys their industry?Supafly1

I wonder how many pirated PS2 consoles there are at the moment. A lot, would be my guess.

Thing is you can do it yourself EFFORTLESSLY, doesnt even require a chip, just disc swapping ( If this is consider prmoting do warn me before suspending trigger happy for 7 days O_o ). ...

As easy as torrenting after the initial setup.

No to mention PS2 has like 80% Emulation compatibility at this point.

Consoles are pirated a heck of alot aswell, thing is, you cant monitor it aswell as you can on the PC.

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts

Consoles are pirated a heck of alot aswell, thing is, you cant monitor it aswell as you can on the PC.

Meu2k7
Actually you cant because one download can lead to thousands and thousands of pirated discs, which obviously cant be tracked. And its much easier to buy a pirated console game for $1 off the street in Asia.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Meu2k7
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

anshul89

Actually you cant because one download can lead to thousands and thousands of pirated discs, which obviously cant be tracked. And its much easier to buy a pirated console game for $1 off the street in Asia.

By tracking the connection? That would be quite some fluke :P

buuzer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 buuzer0
Member since 2005 • 3792 Posts

ShaDoW56

I don't know about that one...

Holden1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Holden1985
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts
I buy all my pc games but the same could not be said for the ps1,ps2 and xbox piracy was massive.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

The thing is any exact figures these devs claim are made up.. There is no way possible they could know how many were actually downloaded.. Not to mention if these downloaders would have even bought the game to begin with.. Also piracy in general is a huge problem to companies in the entire industry.. Including console games.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
I buy all my games online through e-tailers like gogamer and newegg or digital distro like STEAM, which I buy most games on nowadays. I don't pirate games. period. Nothing is killing the PC, it's just a changing market that's going more and more digital, that's also not being tracked.