PC developers say PS4 is a high end PC.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

"CD Projekt RED have always stayed true to their vision and this is clearly shown in their reluctance to release The Witcher 3 on current gen consoles and instead go for next-gen and PC. They are pleased with the PS4 as well, and quest designer Pawel Sasko revealed a lot more about the system to us in an exclusive interview.

After the announcement of the PS4 many graphics programmers commented that Sonys upcoming console is a high-end PC and I agree with them, he said.

The change of architecture made a lot of developers happy, including us. From a technical standpoint, the biggest disadvantage of PCs is customizable hardware in almost infinite number of ways. Thats why working on PS4 gives us comfort that every gamer is going to have a quality time with The Witcher 3.

http://gamingbolt.com/witcher-3-dev-ps4-is-a-high-end-pc-cd-projekt-happy-with-new-architecture

I could have told you that *looks at sig*

in B4 NVIDIA butthurt.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

[QUOTE="muffin200"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]So by the time it comes out it will be a middle of the road PC?mems_1224

Wait a second - If what you are saying is true and in the space of 6 months it goes from being a high end PC to a Mid range PC  and thefore rubbish mean that all the arguments about having to replace graphics cards every six months or your PC is rubbish true?

PS4 is outdated bro

:P But ya the PS4's cpu and gpu is already outdated It's cpu is a low clocked laptop based jaguar architecture AMD processor. With all its 8 cores its still slower then Phenom 2 X4 3 ghz+ from 2009/2010. Then the PS4 gpu is stated to be 18CU @ 1.8 TFLOP based. Which is only 10% faster then a normal AMD 7850 , and more then 20% slower then a 7870. The PS4 processing power is using a mediocre cpu with a mid tier based gpu. 7950 to 7970 ghz gpu's perform from 3 - 4.3 TFLOPS.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="muffin200"]

Wait a second - If what you are saying is true and in the space of 6 months it goes from being a high end PC to a Mid range PC  and thefore rubbish mean that all the arguments about having to replace graphics cards every six months or your PC is rubbish true?

04dcarraher

PS4 is outdated bro

:P But ya the PS4's cpu and gpu is already outdated It's cpu is a low clocked laptop based jaguar architecture AMD processor. With all its 8 cores its still slower then Phenom 2 X4 3 ghz+ from 2009/2010. Then the PS4 gpu is stated to be a 18CU 1.8 TFLOP. Which is only 10% faster then a normal AMD 7850 , and more then 20% slower then a 7870. The PS4 processing power is using a mediocre cpu with a mid tier based gpu. 7950 to 7970 ghz gpu's perform from 3 - 4.1 TFLOPS.

How is jaguar outdated? I believe it has not yet been in any laptop and it will replace current mobile AMD cpus

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61550 Posts

CD Projekt RED doesn't have a history of those though.

And there is a big difference between a mid-range PC and a high-end PC, I'm sure they wouldn't say it's a high-end PC without it being at least close to that level.

Basically, I know companies CAN exaggerate, but form what we've been hearing from all devs, he PS4 can pull out great visuals that are on-par with high end PC's today. 

Now, I'm not saying PS4 is better than PC, that's obviously subjective (I actually prefer PC myself), but hermits need to accept that PS4 isn't that weak of a console :P.

XVision84

History does not dictate everything.

At the end of the day, we simply don't know. It's PR at this point. The statement could be hyperbole, or it could not.

The PS4 actually looks pretty awesome at this point. I'm thinking it's gonna be far better then the PS3, ATM.

ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZoomZoom2490
Member since 2008 • 3943 Posts
Looks at KZ3, GOW3 and Uncharted 3 with a gpu with ancient 16 cores and with 128bit of 256mb of Vram and I am still amazed by them. Then I look at PS4 specs with a gpu with 1200 unifed shaders and with 256bit 8GB of GDDR5 Vram and head explodes. GIve it up hermits, your time is up.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

A mobile CPU and a mid range GPU does a high end PC not make. clyde46

AMD Kyoto says hi i.e. AMD Jaguar based SKU unrestricted by tablet/netbook form factors.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"]A mobile CPU and a mid range GPU does a high end PC not make. muffin200

I'm going to take CD Projekt RED professional opinion over yours. 

Taking PR talk over actual facts. :|

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"] You shouldn't talk when you don't know the subject.lostrib

I know exactly what am talking about moron. I have been researching computer parts to build a gaming rig and I know AMD will rolling out some new cards stronger than Titan later this year. Not sure if Nvidia will be doing the same as I'm not planning to buy anything made by them.

^doesn't know what he's talking about

Please correct me then instead of spouting your usual worthless one line responses. Of course I know exacty what I am talking about so STFU.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] Great, you're one insignificant person. Whats your point?MonsieurX

My point is there are ways for console gamers to get games for less than $60 on release. I looked at Steam and GMG recently and most of the newer games were full price. You have to wait for sales to get deals. It is not always cheaper like hermits claim. Smart shopping is smart shopping. If you are saying most console gamers are not savvy enough to shop for deals then that is a different topic.

BB rewards implies buying games at full price then getting points for discounts

You only have to buy one game at full price to get the first $20 coupon. Then you just keep it doing. It does cost $20 to sign up , but you get to buy most new release for $40 for a year. If you buy a lot of a games it is well worth it. Hell not even a lot because you reap the benefits on your second purchase.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lundy86_4

You only have to buy one game at full price to get the first $20 coupon. Then you just keep it doing. It does cost $20 to sign up , but you get to buy most new release for $40 for a year. If you buy a lot of a games it is well worth it. Hell not even a lot because you reap the benefits on your second purchase.

StrongBlackVine

Where does BB give $20 in points for a single purchase? Canada or the US? Only select titles typically get a points bonus, and they are typically the cream of the crop.

Found it. Note, this is with a select few games.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"] BB rewards implies buying games at full price then getting points for discountsmems_1224

You only have to buy one game at full price to get the first $20 coupon. Then you just keep it doing. It does cost $20 to sign up , but get to buy most new release for $40 for a year. If you buy a lot of a games it is well worth it.

I don't have to buy a game from GMG to get a coupon. PC wins.

You can't sell a game bought from Steam or GMG...so you really lose.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StrongBlackVine

lundy86_4

Where does BB give $20 in points for a single purchase? Canada or the US? Only select titles typically get a points bonus, and they are typically the cream of the crop.

Found it. Note, this is with a select few games.

I generally only buy the cream of the crop so it works just fine for me. Dead Space 3, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite all had this deal.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
I am so neckbeard mad right now :evil:
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

:|

High end pc. It's a mid to high end pc and it will be below that soon.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaltyMeatballs

NVIDIA
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

"CD Projekt RED have always stayed true to their vision and this is clearly shown in their reluctance to release The Witcher 3 on current gen consoles and instead go for next-gen and PC. They are pleased with the PS4 as well, and quest designer Pawel Sasko revealed a lot more about the system to us in an exclusive interview.

After the announcement of the PS4 many graphics programmers commented that Sonys upcoming console is a high-end PC and I agree with them, he said.

The change of architecture made a lot of developers happy, including us. From a technical standpoint, the biggest disadvantage of PCs is customizable hardware in almost infinite number of ways. Thats why working on PS4 gives us comfort that every gamer is going to have a quality time with The Witcher 3.

http://gamingbolt.com/witcher-3-dev-ps4-is-a-high-end-pc-cd-projekt-happy-with-new-architecture

in B4 NVIDIA butthurt.

SaltyMeatballs

Is that High end PC now or when it actually comes out?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
A mobile CPU and a mid range GPU does a high end PC not make.
muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

A mobile CPU and a mid range GPU does a high end PC not make. clyde46

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="NVIDIA"]

SaltyMeatballs

What the hell?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
So by the time it comes out it will be a middle of the road PC?
Aparthide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Aparthide
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"]A mobile CPU and a mid range GPU does a high end PC not make. muffin200

So you take opinions over facts?
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="NVIDIA"]

super600

What the hell?

What they can do is what matters, and they can do a lot more than they can with the average gaming PC. Look at recommended PC specs for games, PS4 allows them to do a lot more with no restraints.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]SaltyMeatballs

What the hell?

What they can do is what matters, and they can do a lot more than they can with the average gaming PC. Look at recommended PC specs for games, PS4 allows them to do a lot more with no restraints.

I'm talking about how you quoted me.It shows the name nivida instead of my username.

muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

So by the time it comes out it will be a middle of the road PC?mems_1224

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Devs can come up with a lot of amazing uses for that 8GB GDDR5. PC's have never used 8 GDDR5, so they are a bit different and developing on one piece of powerful hardware rather than  a Load of different PC hardware systems.

Basically a PS4 can do more with less power thanks to Optimization.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] :P But ya the PS4's cpu and gpu is already outdated It's cpu is a low clocked laptop based jaguar architecture AMD processor. With all its 8 cores its still slower then Phenom 2 X4 3 ghz+ from 2009/2010. Then the PS4 gpu is stated to be a 18CU 1.8 TFLOP. Which is only 10% faster then a normal AMD 7850 , and more then 20% slower then a 7870. The PS4 processing power is using a mediocre cpu with a mid tier based gpu. 7950 to 7970 ghz gpu's perform from 3 - 4.1 TFLOPS. 04dcarraher

How is jaguar outdated? I believe it has not yet been in any laptop and it will replace current mobile AMD cpus

AMD has stated that jaguar architecture is 15% faster on average then Bobcat series and the fact is that botcat based cpu's are slower then desktop Athlon 64 X2's.

Not with 128bit SIMD based workloads.

If you believe AMD, then AMD Bobcat is on par with Intel Core 2 @ 1.6Ghz.

AMD_Ontario_Bobcat_vs_Intel_Pineview_Ato

One could fit 3 AMD Jaguar cores with one Intel Haswell core i.e. AMD doesn't believe on hyperthreading.

2013_core_sizes_768_zps1cc7b35d.jpg

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="super600"]

What the hell?

super600

I'm talking about how you quoted me.It shows the name nivida instead of my username.

Smelled like Nvidia butthurt lol.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clyde46

Opinions =/= facts. The facts are the specs of teh PS4 sets on par with a mid range PC.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

in B4 NVIDIA butthurt.

menes777

Is that High end PC now or when it actually comes out?

I agree. The PS4 is vaporware until I actually have my grubby hands on one. It won't be until November when we find out how high-end the PS4 really is. Over 6 more months to go.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]SaltyMeatballs

What the hell?

I have no idea how the ps4 becomes a high end pc based on the specs unless they have been upgraded. They can call it a super computer for all I care that does not make it true.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Devs can come up with a lot of amazing uses for that 8GB GDDR5. PC's have never used 8 GDDR5, so they are a bit different and developing on one piece of powerful hardware rather than  a Load of different PC hardware systems.

Basically a PS4 can do more with less power thanks to Optimization.

Mrmedia01

it's magical!

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

[QUOTE="NVIDIA"]

SaltyMeatballs

rofl rofl rofl just rofl

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

I think they need to define what they mean by "high-end" because there is no possible way PS4 can match raw power of PC GPUs.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]So by the time it comes out it will be a middle of the road PC?muffin200

PS4 is outdated bro
redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
please my pc isnt even high end and they want to say a mobile amd cpu and something similar to hd 7850 are high end.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lundy86_4

You don't know sh** of what your talking about,nothing stop the PS4 from running games with those details,in fact even the 7850 can and is less powerful than the PS4. Killzone running at 30FPS means nothing. Try to run Crysis 3 on 1080p on very high and see if any GPU can get 60FPS even with low 2XMSAA...That is the same resolution Killzone PS4 runs.tormentos

I'd hardly say that the PS4 running 1080p and 30fps for Killzone is "nothing".

Regarding Crysis 3, we do not know if Killzone is immediately comparable. We've seen little of KZ.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="NVIDIA"]

SaltyMeatballs

iseewhatyoudid.gif I see what you did thar, I see it!

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Not sure how a professional and well-established developer could say something so stupid.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clyde46
I think the dev meant that the PS4 could allow them to perform the same functions using less resources?
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lundy86_4

So it matters if you can run crysis 3 at 60fps, but doesnt matter if KZ SF runs at 30 fps?

lostrib

tormentos is the biggest f*cking idiot :lol:

I'm surprised you could actually decipher what the hell he was trying to say. Good job

lostrib

It took some work.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clyde46

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

tormentos

Opinions =/= facts. The facts are the specs of teh PS4 sets on par with a mid range PC.

Fact. PC never get push to the metal. PC had API overhead and Latency. PC had less optimization than consoles. The PS4 hardware is balanced with additional hardware to handle from OS to background task. The PS4 has as much Ram as a $1,000 GPU,when most card out there have only 1GB. You can ignore them in the then they still count regardless of what you think.

And yet, the PC completely demolishes the PS4.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

I think the dev meant that the PS4 could allow them to perform the same functions using less resources?clyde46
Okay this I can see them saying after the witcher 2 on 360. I can see them saying the ps4 version of witcher 3 will perform like witcher 3 on a high end pc.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mems_1224

At least i am not a hypocrite like you people are... Oh 1080p is bad or 30FPS is crap,until your GPU can't give any more then 1080p is ok and lower than 60FPS is to. But wait what about every time you people bring very expensive GPU vs consoles,(which by the way few here support) in an attend to prove how much more powerful PC is,but when the worth of those GPU and the PC come into question all of the sudden a cheap low end card will do. Arguing that PC is cheap when you own a $800 or more in GPU alone is a joke,just like arguing power when you own something less powerful than the PS4.tormentos

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]So by the time it comes out it will be a middle of the road PC?muffin200

:lol: Are you really that much of a moron?

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

They probably mean that it's a similar target. 

In other words, if they develop for a high end PC, porting over to the PS4 is going to be easy. They might need to optimize certain aspects of level design where the Ps4 just can't muster enough CPU or GPU power to run "X" feature, but the targets will look pretty similar.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

I wonder who buys PC harwdare anymore

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

loosingENDS
Tons of people do.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

loosingENDS

console companies do lol

consolites have been owned

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="muffin200"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]So by the time it comes out it will be a middle of the road PC?mems_1224

Wait a second - If what you are saying is true and in the space of 6 months it goes from being a high end PC to a Mid range PC and thefore rubbish mean that all the arguments about having to replace graphics cards every six months or your PC is rubbish true?

PS4 is outdated bro

So either all PCs are outdated within a year or you are full of shit. Which is true?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="tormentos"]You just owned your self...:lol: Look at AA... MSAAX2..:lol: Motion Blur medium and even $1,000 dollar GPU like the 690GTX and the Titan can't run it at a steady 60FPS and have sinks as low as 31 FPS,you just posted my most used ammo against Hermits that chart.:lol:tormentos

Excapt the fact that your skewed comparison, meant comparing two games at seperate settings, yet conforming to the same criteria. At the end of the day, we do not know if KZ ids comparable to Crysis 3 at max settings, but we do know that it will be  stuck  at 30fps.

You don't get it do you,.., The point is.. IS OK TO HAVE LOWER THAN 60FPS AND 1080P WHEN YOUR GPU CAN'T DO ANY MORE. But if a PS4 game does it the PS4 is weak and under power,i am sure that with those setting the PS4 run Crysis 3 at 24 or 25 FPS which isn't much better than how Crysis runs on consoles,but the PS4 will not cost $1,000 dollars to just get 30FPS more,the power difference vs frame improvement is not even close to worth it.

Yes, I do.

The problem is, you are lumping all Hermits together, making your argument moot. You argument proposes that  all Hermits  feel this way. that is idiotic.

Furthermore, you aren't actually addressing my post, and are attempting to move it away from the initial point. At the end of the day, we do not know if KZ is comparable to Crysis 3 at max settings.

----

Now, you are sure of what? How are you sure? Being close to worth it, is simply arbitrary.

----

Stop arguing this, you are losing, pathetically.