Only thing MS needs now is Japan support, agreed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45157 Posts

They finally started building on their first party which is great. It's good that they are aware of where they need to improve. Now the next step would be to try to get Japan support again. Then the console will be a complete system in my opinion. Do you agree, SW? Or are they still missing something else?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I thought the show last night showed plenty of Japanese stuff. What more are you looking for?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45157 Posts
@boycie said:

I thought the show last night showed plenty of Japanese stuff. What more are you looking for?

Would be cool if they had Japanese developers specifically develop for the Xbox like in the original Xbox days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Otogi series remaster?

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

I disagree. The studio acquisitions should have happened 3 years ago. MS is playing catch up as per usual

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Japanese stuff never sold great on Xbox, pointless waste of money trying.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
@pdogg93 said:

I disagree. The studio acquisitions should have happened 3 years ago. MS is playing catch up as per usual

And will never have laser focus on 1st party exclusives like SONY.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44224 Posts

Well they certainly seem to be doing better in this area with the recent reveals of Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition and Nier Automata. Would love to see a Lost Odyssey 2 and Blue Dragon 2 though.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

All they have to do is open a studio in Japan. After that the ball will roll and they could compete there.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Microsoft is moving in the right direction. We’ll see if the gamepass is successful and whether these developers produce quality games. I would prefer some JRPG games and a stronger Japanese backing but only to round out the variety and really make it so the brand isn’t lacking.

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

A Fable and a price cut and xbox would be irresistible. I also think getting a major japanese aquisition would put them in a great position. Perhaps buy Konami entirely?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

The Xbox platform are improving I've been very honest about where ms were going after the Barron 2 years. I saw commitment to the gaming division and that's all I can ask for at this point. Tales of versperia definitive edition is a step in the right direction.

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

@pdogg93: They never cared about gaming they just wanted to get into your house

goverment contracts......

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Not only Japan Support but MS still needs these newly acquired studios to pull through. In time we shall see if they can get the same output/quality that we're seeing from Sony 1P .

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 robert_sparkes

The studios were huge to see the intent to improve the 1st party was what we all wanted as gamers. Now it's important ms let the studios have the creative freedom that is most important. Something Sony does so well.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

They have a new From Software game. That's Japan sorted.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Nier, KH3, FFVIIR, SEIKRO and even Vesperia which is so niche. They are fine and that's coming from a JRPG gamer.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts

They had a fair few Japanese games on the stage.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Well they certainly seem to be doing better in this area with the recent reveals of Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition and Nier Automata. Would love to see a Lost Odyssey 2 and Blue Dragon 2 though.

I want Lost Odyssey 2 and could have sworn that Microsoft was supposed to show a Blue Dragon at E3 this and don't know if it was remaster but last week Gamespot had Blue Dragon list under Microsoft E 2018?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-e3-2018-xbox-one-predictions-halo-6-perf/1100-6459227/

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

They are moving in the right direction but they still have a long way to go to catch up with Sony and Nintendo in first party. They need to open some studios in Japan to get some variety in their portfolio.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44224 Posts

@kyacat: They were just speculating on what they thought might be shown at E3.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

They're not getting Japanese developers until they get the Japanese audience on-board. And between the offerings of Sony and Nintendo, that's highly unlikely to happen.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

There is a lot of room to improve there but if I were an Xbox fan, I would say that not letting DMC5 slip out of grasp was a win for them. Also, getting Nier Automata was a sign that they know Japanese games have a presence in the west.

Xbox fans saying that Japanese games are not worth the effort because Xbox will never go big in Japan are the same jack holes saying that exclusives don't matter and the future is an always connected water cooler. Thank God MS stopped listening to them.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 locopatho
@Shewgenja said:

exclusives don't matter

Yeah cool how the WiiU sold 100 mill, lasted 8 years and won the 8th gen. Lol.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

Whatever happened to the studio that made Blue Dragon?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@locopatho: breaking 30 million is hard. Said no PlayStation ever.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By locopatho
@Shewgenja said:

breaking 30 million is hard. Said no PlayStation ever.

Lol what shitty logic. Every PlayStation ever has had hundreds and hundreds of fantastic multiplats. Grand Theft Auto V is by far the best selling and biggest system seller PS4 has, Red Dead Redemption 2 will join it shortly. Meanwhile every Nintendo system ever has had dozens of top quality exclusives, yet they keep losing (N64, GC, post-craze Wii, WiiU. Jury still out on where Switch ends up).

You just proved my point for me, thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@blackhairedhero said:

Whatever happened to the studio that made Blue Dragon?

They make noodles now!

Very nice in a stir-fry!

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Can't wait for Xbox Duo/Zwei!

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 robert_sparkes

Multiplats have never been xboxs problem it's good to see them invest and build new studios. The gaming industry needs all 3 firing and we the gamers are the winners.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Only thing MS needs right now are exclusives to Xbox.

I thought they would go time exclusivity to their best games for Xbox and after a while for PC but it seems that wont happen for now. They better do that to gain momentum, saying this for a year now.

Whatever studios they get if all theyll do is going multiplatform, wont change anything. Since now will be bad to go back to what they were doing with X360 for PC gamers, time exclusivity for a while is the way to go. Thats what im suggesting and thats what im predicting will happen soon or later or else ... another hard time generation is coming for them, whatever the quality and variety of games theyll offer.

It doesnt matter really what kind of extraordinary games MS might release , the amount of PC gamers is growing more and more each year, everyone nowdays having at least 1-2 PC or laptops per home that can manage to play games. Owning an Xbox doesnt make sense for more and more people as we speak. They better do something or .. gg.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@AzatiS: I think Microsoft are keeping parity between Xbox and Windows PC. Some of these games are exclusive to the Windows Store on PC but not all of them. For example, Ori and the Blind Forest is available on Steam.

I guess this is to keep the likes of cross-play and Play Anywhere consistent across the two platforms they are available on for their exclusive titles. I'm not sure though.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AzatiS
@jumpaction said:

@AzatiS: I think Microsoft are keeping parity between Xbox and Windows PC. Some of these games are exclusive to the Windows Store on PC but not all of them. For example, Ori and the Blind Forest is available on Steam.

I guess this is to keep the likes of cross-play and Play Anywhere consistent across the two platforms they are available on for their exclusive titles. I'm not sure though.

If MS wont do something with Xbox exclusives it really doesnt matter what kind of studios will buy or what kind of game they gonna release.

I doubt they bought so many studios of that caliber to just make multiplatform games. As i analyzed a year ago the only solution to that will be time exclusivity to xbox consoles and a transition to PC after a while. Thats my prediction to what MS will do if they wont go back to exclusivity mode for consoles, which at this point wont make any sense.

Imho if they wont do something about it, i dont think theyll have any better luck next generation. Sales wont be good vs PS5 And if i know that, they know it too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@AzatiS: I believe they did though. Microsoft are moving away from console exclusivity. They have 'Windows platform' exclusivity but I don't think Xbox One will have as many exclusives moving forward.

They are treating Windows PC and Xbox One as the same entity now, I believe. They offer services like Play Anywhere because they want parity between those two platforms. It would make no sense offering a service like Play Anywhere in games like Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 only to have that service arbitrarily locked out for PC gamers for a period of time.

Since those games can only be purchased on the Windows Store, they benefit from it anyway. It means the Xbox One is a far less compelling platform (This is coming from a PC gamer and Xbox One owner) but hey, that's how it is and that's what Microsoft are wanting to do. I was playing State of Decay 2 with my brother last night. He on Xbox One and me on PC. Both used Xbox Live for voice chat. It was painless and simple. I think that's Microsoft's vision.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AzatiS
@jumpaction said:

@AzatiS: I believe they did though. Microsoft are moving away from console exclusivity. They have 'Windows platform' exclusivity but I don't think Xbox One will have as many exclusives moving forward.

They are treating Windows PC and Xbox One as the same entity now, I believe. They offer services like Play Anywhere because they want parity between those two platforms. It would make no sense offering a service like Play Anywhere in games like Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 only to have that service arbitrarily locked out for PC gamers for a period of time.

Since those games can only be purchased on the Windows Store, they benefit from it anyway. It means the Xbox One is a far less compelling platform (This is coming from a PC gamer and Xbox One owner) but hey, that's how it is and that's what Microsoft are wanting to do. I was playing State of Decay 2 with my brother last night. He on Xbox One and me on PC. Both used Xbox Live for voice chat. It was painless and simple. I think that's Microsoft's vision.

I dont think they want to move away, they got forced to. They knew they failed before X1 got in the market, just by watching the pre-orders. The idea of "lets go PC route" wasnt in their minds till X1 started failing big time. Yes, they were talking about it even back in the X360s early days but they never went that way because of X360 success. Now with Windows 10, PC gaming explosion and the epic fail of X1 since day 1 was the right time.

So i wont beleive for a split of second this was their idea long before they actually did it. Naaah. They didnt care about crossplay, they didnt care about PC gamers, PC gaming, PC ports, PC stores etc. As long as X360 was doing great that is.

So now they trying to translate X1 fail to " we care for PC gamers " or " we told you so " or " we like crossplay now " etc. Well, how not to when focusins on X1 alone would be a disaster. Thats what i think about this situation. I bet if X1 was a similar to X360 success story ... they wouldnt give a shit about crossplay or PC gaming or PC gamers as a whole.

That decision backfired because made X1 even a worse choice than before with zero exclusives to show off. But i guess since already it had hard time didnt matter that much in the end. PC gaming sales and such somewhat made up for this. Still though everything MS is doing is kinda messy and because it wasnt their original plan there are holes in their approach, marketing and final decisions. Will they recover next-gen ? Beh... if they keep this formula as it is ... a big NO comes in my mind as far as consoles go.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@AzatiS: Oh, I don't actually know if this was their idea all along or if this is due to the Xbox One's situation in the market.

All I am saying is that this is what Microsoft are doing now, and will probably continue to do even with the acquisition of new studios. All of these games will be on both PC and Xbox One with maybe the exception of Halo Infinite.

The rest is conjecture that can't necessarily be proven. Cross-play is also connected with Nintendo Switch and offered for Paladins, Minecraft and Rocket League.

I don't care either way. As a PC gamer, I think it is great. I love cross-play because it lets me play with my brother who is on Xbox One.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44094 Posts

Not gonna happen until MS announces the Mighty Surface Pro, Work & Play, Win10 gaming, buy once, play anywhere Handheld.

Nintendont = Doooomed. :P

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 robert_sparkes

MS will never get the support Sony get in Japan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

NO... They need to focus MORE on Europe and European devs which I consider MORE important.

They are wasting their money with Japan and Japanese gamers do not appreciate western consoles. Anyone thinking MS will get the support that Sony gets from Japan is living in lala land. FOCUS on EUROPE!

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#40 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

They had From announce a new game at their presser and 4-5 other weeb titles. What more do you want?

The real weebs will always go Sony & Nintendo first no point in going overboard with it.