One gigantic disadvantage of PSN

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

It is the fact that digital content, mostly DLC and some downloadable-only indie games have often separate release dates in Europe, and at times they get delayed, too. Those delays can range from miniscule ones - like a couple of days - to even months as was the case with Rock Band / Guitar Hero DLC. The Witcher DLC was affected as well and countless others. Now, I brought this up in good faith. Most excellent Kerbal Space Program was just released and people from Europe can't play it on PS4, but it was released worldwide on Xbox One, and the European PS4 release date is "postponed indefinitely". To me that'd be a major disappointment if I was waiting for this game, and this game was anticipated a great deal.

I don't see any reasoning over not rolling out gaming-related digital content worlwide simultaneously. Warriors, do you think this is a disgrace?

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

European PSN sucks. I bought a PAL game that had a digital code and it didn't let me redeem it because I'm not on the NA PSN. They also have much better sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yeah, the regional segregation in online stores, such as PSN and Nintendo, is pretty pointless, and something that Sony and Nintendo need to work on.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Regional segregation of online stores is soooo annoying. My main gripe is how the PAL PSN store only has like 50 PS1 games, while the Japanese store has got hundreds of them. There are so many PS1 games I want to play, but can't find on PAL PSN store. Seriously brainless business practise. Its like Sony hates making money for some reason.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Aye, pretty much. Not sure why an online store "needs" to be separated by regions. Seems pretty damn silly these days.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Guide: How to add a different region account to your PS4

1: Turn on your PS4

2: If you're allready logged on with your main account, click "Log out of PS4"

3: Click "New User"

4: Click "Create a user", accept the TOS.

5: Click "New to PSN? Create an acccount"

6: Click "Sign up now"

7: Choose Country or Region. (If making a Japanese account, use google translating.)

8: Select language: ENGLISH

9: Input a date of birth.

10: Select city, state and postal code according to the address you have in said region. (use any restaurant address)

11: Input a valid Email and password. (Keep this info!)

12: Choose a PSN ID and a name.

12: Select your privacy settings.

13: Select privacy settings for your activities.

14: Click "Accept" on the TOS

15: Choose to connect to Facebook or not.

16: Buy a membership or skip.

17: Activate this system as your primary PS4. If not you won't be able to play the content you DL from a different region.

18: Enter the PS store and start spending or downloading.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/ps4-discussion/217890-guide-how-add-different-region-account-your-ps4.html

DONE/

I did this yesterday to get the KOFXIV demo that wasn't available in the US PSN yet, took 3 minutes.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Salt_The_Fries

@casharmy: It's good we can rectify such issues in no time with Sony support on this board :P

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20107 Posts

Not a gigantic one, but I can see how annoying it can be. There are ways around it, like what @casharmy posted.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17436 Posts

@casharmy said:

7: Choose Country or Region. (If making a Japanese account, use google translating.)

10: Select city, state and postal code according to the address you have in said region. (use any restaurant address)

17: Activate this system as your primary PS4. If not you won't be able to play the content you DL from a different region.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/ps4-discussion/217890-guide-how-add-different-region-account-your-ps4.html

DONE/

I did this yesterday to get the KOFXIV demo that wasn't available in the US PSN yet, took 3 minutes.

.......you just demonstrated the problem

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7707 Posts

@Zero_epyon: pretty sure that's not allowed tho and against ToS

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

We have had different release dates in Europe/US since NES days, some times up to around 6months or never even released. This is nothing new:P

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20107 Posts

@howmakewood said:

@Zero_epyon: pretty sure that's not allowed tho and against ToS

Well then yeah it's annoying then.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Aye, pretty much. Not sure why an online store "needs" to be separated by regions. Seems pretty damn silly these days.

Price differences with different regions?. I remember when xbox one released you could buy games on different stores with different currencies. I bought some games for half the price they should have been. Gamers who are loud mouths starting bragging about it online and MS put a stop to it.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

You forgot that you can't access any of your "free" games if you stop paying for it. :P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: that's a disadvantage of XBL now too. Wish they'd both go with the 360 model - although, if I take my consumer hat off it's hard to fault the reasoning for going with the new/PSN system

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

Paying for a gimped online service. That's the biggest disadvantage of XBL/PSN. But yeah, region locking is silly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

The biggest problem I have is when I buy a game a nd their service is like in 56k era speed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Would hardly call this gigantic. I'm sure with your Rock Band example there's licensing concerns involved. Largely unless it needs to be localized, they wait what, a few days? Just kinda dumb, but not gigantic.

Also, don't you live in the states? stretching pretty far for complains, eh salty?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@casharmy said:

DONE/

So you have to pay $5 a month, get next to zilch for competitive community or games, closed setup, crappy deals, and still do all this junk?

I'll stick with Steam.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@DragonfireXZ95: that's a disadvantage of XBL now too. Wish they'd both go with the 360 model - although, if I take my consumer hat off it's hard to fault the reasoning for going with the new/PSN system

Xbone changed to this new rental system? What a rip off. Not only are you paying for mostly P2P, but you are also paying to rent games? Ugh. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that on PC.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@xantufrog said:

Xbone changed to this new rental system? What a rip off. Not only are you paying for mostly P2P, but you are also paying to rent games? Ugh. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that on PC.

yeah. They left the 360 alone, so people still get the old system with their 360s, but the X1 went to the PSN scheme

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Ps3's PSN is the biggest piece of turd to have ever been dropped down. That shit takes forever to load and crashes every five minutes. I still get to buy games on the web store and even the app is far better than before.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

A gigantic disadvantage of XBL is that you can't add content into a cart for a single transaction. Everything must be bought individually and that is so annoying.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@casharmy said:

16: Buy a membership or skip. <----

DONE/

Get out of here, and what about if a game is free and not available for your area? Then you need to buy PS+ right? Also this should NOT be up to the user to do all these steps, it's a big flaw.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Psn sucks. I bought a ton of stuff on the ps3. When i got my ps4 i lost all of it. It's the psn and shit doesn't carry over? Never again psn, never again. I'll stick to steam and gog for my downloaded games cuz those purchases are forever.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By casharmy

@speedfog:

If there is a free game that's not in someone's area and they have done the steps I listed above they can get that game! Simple.

lol your post if funny, if nothing more than for the fact that you do not even own a PS4 yet you're acting like it's a big deal to you. Guess what, I do own a PS4 and it took me 3 minutes to do what I just posted so it's not a issue at all for me.

If you want to feel personally upset and throw a fit about a feature on a system you don't own and act like it's a big deal even when a solution has already been posted then go right ahead.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@casharmy: What a pain in the arse way to do it.

I know that when a game on XB1 is not released in my region, I just go to settings and change my region to the US, restart console and boom i'm on the US marketplace, and anything I buy will be there to play when I switch back to my region.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 casharmy

@i_p_daily said:

I know that when a game on XB1 is not released in my region, I just go to settings and change my region to the US, restart console and boom i'm on the US marketplace, and anything I buy will be there to play when I switch back to my region.

That's really cool, then there is something that xbone has over PS4. Nothing I can do about that but for all that PS4 is I'll take that on the chin for all the good the system has provided. At the very least there is a way to address the issue.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

I agree.

This thread reminds me of Ratchet: Deadlocked HD. Sony's IP and they took their sweet time to release it in other regions, like 4 months.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kruiz_Bathory

@vaidream45: what are you talking about? The purchases you make stay in your account but if you're saying you want to download your ps3 games to your ps4 then lol.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vaidream45

@Kruiz_Bathory: that's exactly what I'm talking about. You pay the money to upgrade to a ps4 and none of your psn purchases carry over. That sucks when u spent hundreds like i did on ps3 digital games. Which is why i used the example of pc games where it doesn't matter if u upgrade to a new pc all of ur games will be intact via steam, gog, origin, etc.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kruiz_Bathory

@vaidream45: it's a new console, not an upgraded PC. Closed systems are not as good as the open platform windows offers.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vaidream45

@Kruiz_Bathory: exactly. So tell me what encouragement would someone have to purchase digital games from psn? When you sell ur console u can't sell those games to anyone. I learned to go back to physical only games for console from that experience. I'm the type of guy who sells the console then all my games to put towards a new console and that time my plans blew up in my face lol. So that is why i think psn sucks. A ps4 should be more than capable of playing games that need less power to play. At least the mobile market already figured it out and u don't lose all ur apps and games when u get a new more powerful phone. I just don't know why psn should be treated differently. Cept for greed of course.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kruiz_Bathory

@vaidream45: don't forget the cell is shit and they can't even emulate ps3 to ps4. And honestly you should've thought about that and just gotten games from steam and gog if that was going to be the big issue for you.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@casharmy: 17:"Activate this system as your primary PS4. If not you won't be able to play the content you DL from a different region."

Can you explain how gamesharing works?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

They should fix that.

Avatar image for rosinmonkekyx17
rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rosinmonkekyx17
Member since 2015 • 3019 Posts

@casharmy: This is against Sony's term of service

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@casharmy said:
@i_p_daily said:

That's really cool, then there is something that xbone has over PS4. Nothing I can do about that but for all that PS4 is I'll take that on the chin for all the good the system has provided. At the very least there is a way to address the issue.

There's more the XB1 has over the PS4, one just have to look, but lets not drag this into a SW fight.

Is the PS4 region free? because I remember having to do what you do on the PS4, but on the 360 because it wasn't region free.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vaidream45

@Kruiz_Bathory: wel like i said, lesson learned. I was excited about digital games at first for the convenience but never again. I wonder if the cell is really that hard to emulate or if ps just wants to sell hd remakes so they don't allow for backwards compatibility.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#40 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, the regional segregation in online stores, such as PSN and Nintendo, is pretty pointless, and something that Sony and Nintendo need to work on.

It still boggles my mind that Microsoft of all companies made their Online store for Xbox universal. Really screwed up Bandai Namco's Launch of Dark Souls 3.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46373 Posts

Plus European PSN sales suck

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22723 Posts

It's tough to say. See, I live in only one country and thus require only one release date. I could not care less how that window relates to places I don't live.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

Murica! Sorry Europeans, sucks for you. Hope they fix that.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@xantufrog said:

Yep, all Xbone GWG games are rentals too.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

It is the fact that digital content, mostly DLC and some downloadable-only indie games have often separate release dates in Europe, and at times they get delayed, too. Those delays can range from miniscule ones - like a couple of days - to even months as was the case with Rock Band / Guitar Hero DLC. The Witcher DLC was affected as well and countless others. Now, I brought this up in good faith. Most excellent Kerbal Space Program was just released and people from Europe can't play it on PS4, but it was released worldwide on Xbox One, and the European PS4 release date is "postponed indefinitely". To me that'd be a major disappointment if I was waiting for this game, and this game was anticipated a great deal.

I don't see any reasoning over not rolling out gaming-related digital content worlwide simultaneously. Warriors, do you think this is a disgrace?

Couldn't agree more.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Salt_The_Fries

@Heil68 said:

They should fix that.

If they want to remain generation 8 leader then yes, very much so.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@phbz said:

The biggest problem I have is when I buy a game a nd their service is like in 56k era speed.

I wanted to buy TW2 from XBL and I can't do that, there is no option to buy the game, you can only launch it, WTF?

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#48  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

It's shit like that why I have to put that I live in the US instead of where I really do.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@SolidTy said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@xantufrog said:

It was nice to see the PSbore start this trend. Rental games with PSN+ and rental games with PSNow. And that is not including KY gel.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@kvally said:
@SolidTy said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@xantufrog said:

It was nice to see the PSbore start this trend. Rental games with PSN+ and rental games with PSNow. And that is not including KY gel.

Oh yes, PS introduced games with a subscription, with the rental caveat and while it's good Xbox copied that concept with GWG (and were generous enough to allow people to keep the last gen games), alas they adopted the PSN strategy on Xbone to allow them in competing with newer and better games with publishers.

We got GWG in the first place because of PS+, but, it sucks we also got the subscription rentals as well on Xbone.

Oh well, I paid for XBLG since the original Xbox and I didn't get free games for most of those years (Xbox 1 OG - most of the Xbox 360's lifespan), so I'm thankful for PS+ since it was used to copy and create GWG for Xbox users like me, whereas before I got nothing for that $60 a year other than online play.

So, back to my main point, correcting a user that didn't know how Xbone GWG worked, my point which also didn't change:

"Yep, all Xbone GWG games are rentals too".