Oculus rift... y no excitiment?

• 185 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mane_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mane_basic
Member since 2002 • 537 Posts

i'm just wondering cause I would think this is a big deal in game affordable vr. To me this is what i been waiting for yet i never see treads talking about it and what it means for games.. the dev. kit goes out soon and at a price of only $300 i wonld think a few of u on here would buy it just to play games like doom and hawkens to test it out...

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
why would i want to wear stupid bulky goggles to play games?
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

I will buy the consumer version when it is released (maybe the dev kit depending on reviews), but I am not one to create or participate in hype threads.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

why would i want to wear stupid bulky goggles to play games?BrunoBRS

Are you serious m8

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Riadon2

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why would i want to wear stupid bulky goggles to play games?Masenkoe

Are you serious m8

He is what we call a "dumb ass".

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
meh
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

Consumer version pls

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9885 Posts

the dev. kit goes out soon

mane_basic
This is th reason I suppose ^^^^.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Masenkoe

I'm super excited for the consumer model...

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Yeah, can't say I'm excited about this thing...

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

The supported game list would need to grow substantially, I think a company like Microsoft or Sony making it a part of their next console (PS5/1080) will be more successful, as devs would be forced to support it.

It certainly seems like a promising idea for the future, once more companies make their own versions. Not sure how successful Oculus Rift will be though.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why would i want to wear stupid bulky goggles to play games?Riadon2

Are you serious m8

What exactly makes him a dumbass? :?

Oculus_VR_2.jpg.jpg

Yeah, looks bulky to me. If this is your thing, go ahead and enjoy, but don't expect everyone's sharing your tastes...

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
we talk about it here and there on here. I think reason we don't talk too much is because it has no release date. I am excited to try it out. At the $300 price range i will need to try it out my self before putting down the money though. Quite few devs are supporting it to so more and more it grows the better
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

Are you serious m8

Rocker6

Oculus_VR_2.jpg.jpg

Yeah, looks bulky to me. If this is your thing, go ahead and enjoy, but don't expect everyone's sharing your tastes...

a product that sorta tricks your eyes making you feel that your truly are in that game? maybe?
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 amaneuvering  Online
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

i'm just wondering cause I would think this is a big deal in game affordable vr. To me this is what i been waiting for yet i never see treads talking about it and what it means for games.. the dev. kit goes out soon and at a price of only $300 i wonld think a few of u on here would buy it just to play games like doom and hawkens to test it out...

mane_basic
I'm very interested in it but there's not really that much to go on yet or get fully excited about. It sounds cool, although I'd really have to try it in real life before I truly believe or dismiss the hype, but I don't think people are really gonna get hyped until there's an actual retail product to get excited bout.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
I'm very interested in it, but it's not really helpful to get hyped 'til the consumer version is out.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

Are you serious m8

Rocker6

Oculus_VR_2.jpg.jpg

He's a dumbass because the product is used for gaming immersion, not as a fashion accessory.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I'm very interested in it, but it's not really helpful to get hyped 'til the consumer version is out.Inconsistancy
This^
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Gimmick. Same sht as wii and Kinect, in the sense that you have to move around. People are really excited about buying a motorcycle helmet to use as the look function in games? F that.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Cautiously optimistic here, but untill I can test it myself, I have no comment on it, as usual.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 k2theswiss
Gimmick. Same sht as wii and Kinect, in the sense that you have to move around. People are really excited about buying a motorcycle helmet to use as the look function in games? F that.Heirren
what you fail to understand is everything down the the rawboned is a gimmick...
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
We just had a thread where people were quite excited. If this turns out to be awesome, I have some spare hardware I can pair one with (needs a better GPU though... it's using a 650 from an abandoned flirtation with PhysX).
mane_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mane_basic
Member since 2002 • 537 Posts

[QUOTE="mane_basic"]

amaneuvering

I'm very interested in it but there's not really that much to go on yet or get fully excited about. It sounds cool, although I'd really have to try it in real life before I truly believe or dismiss the hype, but I don't think people are really gonna get hyped until there's an actual retail product to get excited bout.

I understand where you r coming from and a lot of developers while not making announcement are looking forward to seeing thier playing around with vr

@mane43">https://twitter.com/mane43">mane43> no concrete plans but definitely want to play around with it and experiment once we get the kits

Johan Andersson (@repi) January">https://twitter.com/repi/status/290095495748136961">January 12, 2013
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sushiglutton  Online
Gimmick. Same sht as wii and Kinect, in the sense that you have to move around. People are really excited about buying a motorcycle helmet to use as the look function in games? F that.Heirren
It's just the camera you control by head movement. Immersion is kind of important for gaming and having almost complete field of view combined with 3d is way beyond what we have today me thinks.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
[QUOTE="Heirren"]Gimmick. Same sht as wii and Kinect, in the sense that you have to move around. People are really excited about buying a motorcycle helmet to use as the look function in games? F that.k2theswiss
what you fail to understand is everything down the the rawboned is a gimmick...

Yes, but there's the practicality to it, as well. A device as such would require the player to be in X position while playing. I think the technology is interesting, but again, moving around to play a Videogame? I think the next step of game design could possibly revolve around he upcoming flexible oled displays.
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Kinect 2.0...and here we go.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I'm very interested in it, but it's not really helpful to get hyped 'til the consumer version is out.Inconsistancy
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
Because it's hard to get a grasp of what it's actually like to use the thing, $300 is still quite a lot of money, not a lot of games support it and I'm sure the technology will improve beyond this first sort of prototype. I'd rather put that money into a PS4 or Xbox3 you know? People who have tried it seem to think it's cool though, so I hope it lives on in some capacity until I feel it's worth investing in.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I am excited but what happened that it got in the news again? Did they ship them to the kickstarter supporters?
Very exciting stuff! I am just waiting to see what they will improve on it, and I will definitely buy one at some point.
It's bound to become a cool game enhancer. Like an enhanced TrackIR.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I wouldn't say it's a stupid product, early previews sounded promising. But I would have to wear it and see for myself what it's like. If it really is like you're in the game looking around yourself then that would be extremely cool. But if it's a jittery low res crappy display then it would be annoying.

All we can do is wait and see but it sounds promising.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

If it works for consoles and only costs 300 bucks, i would think about it big time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59b71619573a1

If it immerses you more and makes it feel like you're in that world looking around it would be stupid to not be excited about it, especially as a gamer. This is like a gamers wet dream, to actually feel like you're there. Saying what you said is like going "Why would I want to play Zelda with dumb clunky motion controls?", it helps drive immersion and connection to a game more

Imagine playing something like amnesia with this thing. You would be pretty damn scared

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why would i want to wear stupid bulky goggles to play games?seanmcloughlin

If it immerses you more and makes it feel like you're in that world looking around it would be stupid to not be excited about it, especially as a gamer. This is like a gamers wet dream, to actually feel like you're there. Saying what you said is like going "Why would I want to play Zelda with dumb clunky motion controls?", it helps drive immersion and connection to a game more

Imagine playing something like amnesia with this thing. You would be pretty damn scared

There is the impractical part which requires moving around. Ideally you would need to stand or sit on a swivel chair, looking around on a sofa would be awkward, even if the sensitivity is high. Comfort would be a big factor too, with the size of this thing it might feel like wearing snowboarding goggles which eventually cause discomfort. I'm not sold on 3D in any form, so really for me this would just be head tracking with big screens, not really a game changer. Also did Zelda really increase immersion with the Wiimote? I thought it affected the combat in a negative way the enemies stood in a pose for a couple of seconds then you swung in one of eight directions. It slowed the whole combat down and was very predictable. It might have worked well if it was 1:1 free hand combat, but in its current form it felt like an awkward/clunky ocarina of time combat, which was hardly fantastic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why would i want to wear stupid bulky goggles to play games?APiranhaAteMyVa

There is the impractical part which requires moving around. Ideally you would need to stand or sit on a swivel chair, looking around on a sofa would be awkward, even if the sensitivity is high. Comfort would be a big factor too, with the size of this thing it might feel like wearing snowboarding goggles which eventually cause discomfort. I'm not sold on 3D in any form, so really for me this would just be head tracking with big screens, not really a game changer. Also did Zelda really increase immersion with the Wiimote? I thought it affected the combat in a negative way the enemies stood in a pose for a couple of seconds then you swung in one of eight directions. It slowed the whole combat down and was very predictable. It might have worked well if it was 1:1 free hand combat, but in its current form it felt like an awkward/clunky ocarina of time combat, which was hardly fantastic.

I only brought up the Zelda thing cos it's Bruno :P

Also I don't know why you would need a swivel chair, it moves with head movements not whole body. And it likely has deadzones so you don't do full 360s to turn around in game. With would be like TrackIR

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why would i want to wear stupid bulky goggles to play games?seanmcloughlin

i don't think it immerses you any more than 3D glasses would, which is to say little. it's also likely heavy and having big bulky goggles hanging on your nose isn't exactly comfortable. then you have two TVs inches from your eyes, just begging to kill you with eyestrain. add in the fact that it's likely impossible to wear them with normal glasses and you already have at least 3 reasons why i wouldn't buy it.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sushiglutton  Online

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why would i want to wear stupid bulky goggles to play games?BrunoBRS

i don't think it immerses you any more than 3D glasses would, which is to say little. it's also likely heavy and having big bulky goggles hanging on your nose isn't exactly comfortable. then you have two TVs inches from your eyes, just begging to kill you with eyestrain. add in the fact that it's likely impossible to wear them with normal glasses and you already have at least 3 reasons why i wouldn't buy it.

Carmack is like a godfather of the rift and he wears glasses ;)! Seriously, it would be insane to release a nerd item like this without making sure it works for glassses, wouldn't worry about that. It's a lot more immersive than 3D because it takes up practically your entire field of view. There is nothing in the peripheral that will (subconciously) disturb you. And then we also have the fact that you control it with your head motions. It's way, way ahead of just 3D me thinks. Eyestrain may be a problem depending on what resolution they will settle for, we will see.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sushiglutton  Online
Funny fact about the head motion control: When you bend your neck to look at your feet your eyes don't just "rotate" down, they also move "forward". OR actualy compensates for this, which is pretty cool.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why would i want to wear stupid bulky goggles to play games?BrunoBRS

i don't think it immerses you any more than 3D glasses would, which is to say little. it's also likely heavy and having big bulky goggles hanging on your nose isn't exactly comfortable. then you have two TVs inches from your eyes, just begging to kill you with eyestrain.

add in the fact that it's likely impossible to wear them with normal glasses and you already have at least 3 reasons why i wouldn't buy it.

It weighs ~9onces, and is supported like ski goggles, so it doesn't hang on your nose.

Because light travels at a constant rate, "distance" is just the time it takes light to get to your eyes from an object (as far as your brain can tell), the lenses make the screen appear further than a few inches from your face; which is nearly impossible to focus on in the first place. It would likely have similar eye strain as looking into any 3d device since your eyes "want" to focus on a distance further, or closer, than what the display actually is.

Also the FoV is an actual 110 degrees and tracks your head movement (pitch, yaw, and roll), your TV is maybe 60 degrees of your total vision and the 3d effect doesn't work off screen (obviously) and can be distorted by moving your head.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

You are speculating far too much. You're just coming off as pessimistic and petty. We have no idea how heavy it is or the consumer model will be, we also don't know what it will be like having those screens in front of your eyes, maybe it will cause eyestrain.

Also as stated above, Carmack is leading on this thing and he always wears glasses. It's probably a thing very close to his thinking about the whole thing actually.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Funny fact about the head motion control: When you bend your neck to look at your feet your eyes don't just "rotate" down, they also move "forward". OR actualy compensates for this, which is pretty cool.Sushiglutton

That is pretty neat. The more I read about this the more I think they're trying really hard to make it a proper attemtp at VR. And it sounds promising. All I need to know now is a price and it's seriously in consideration

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Masenkoe

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

You are speculating far too much. You're just coming off as pessimistic and petty. We have no idea how heavy it is or the consumer model will be, we also don't know what it will be like having those screens in front of your eyes, maybe it will cause eyestrain.

Also as stated above, Carmack is leading on this thing and he always wears glasses. It's probably a thing very close to his thinking about the whole thing actually.

I was thinking about that the other day...

As far as the argument goes here I think some of the people in this thread are FAR too skeptical even with the information that is out there.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

I would like to experience it first hand. How can I get excited for it when I cannot even imagine what it is like?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i don't think it immerses you any more than 3D glasses would, which is to say little. it's also likely heavy and having big bulky goggles hanging on your nose isn't exactly comfortable. then you have two TVs inches from your eyes, just begging to kill you with eyestrain. add in the fact that it's likely impossible to wear them with normal glasses and you already have at least 3 reasons why i wouldn't buy it.Masenkoe

I was thinking about that the other day...

As far as the argument goes here I think some of the people in this thread are FAR too skeptical even with the information that is out there.

And I don't know why, as gamers, new stuff like this that could immerse us more and change how we play should have us excited. But in the day of the modern gamer it's just easier and cooler apparently to hate on things you have no interest in.

It's cool to not want it, hell, if the price is too high I likely won't get one. But to speculate so much on something before even seeing it in person is a bit dumb. Im far more open minded about the whole thing.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

i don't think it immerses you any more than 3D glasses would, which is to say little.BrunoBRS
I'm sorry, but that's huge BS. If you can't understand why it's immersive then you don't know what immersive means.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]why would i want to wear stupid bulky goggles to play games?Rocker6

Yeah, can't say I'm excited about this thing...

Have u seen the average hermit? Their triple necks can easily support such a contraption.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

i'm basing it on how it looked, on how i imagine it would weight, and most importantly, on how the last attempt at selling something like that worked out. and i don't think "controlling the camera with my neck" is exactly immersive, when everything else is still handled with a standard controller. at most, i imagine most people playing with it will do it similar to the metroid minigame on nintendoland, where using the "3D motion" is just for fine tuning shots, not how you'll actually aim.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

It's not very practical for me, and my current computer setup. My space is too tiny, and it's hard to use any more than just my keyboard/mouse to game with.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i don't think it immerses you any more than 3D glasses would, which is to say little.AdrianWerner

I'm sorry, but that's huge BS. If you can't understand why it's immersive then you don't know what immersive means.

dude. goggle TVs have been a gimmick sold on electronics kiosks for at least a decade now. strapping a fancy name to it and hooking it to the PC won't make it that different. and for the record, those things have always reported to cause severe eye strain and headaches. i have every right to be skeptical about it. as for my comparison with 3D glasses, let's see: you have a big screen with 3D display in front of you, or you have the equivalent of that strapped to your eyes. they both produce the same effect. the only difference is that one has headtracking (which i assure you most people will stop caring about once the novelty wears off, even if they somehow still think wearing goggles to play games is a valid thing to do), and the other doesn't.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#50 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

I'm ultra-hyped to give it a test drive and would be all over it if the support is good when it launches. Anywhere below $600 and I'd be a day one.