Nintendo Takes eShop Down Temporarily

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

In case you didn't know, the eShop has been offline for three days now. To begin with, all of Nintendo Network went down, including update servers, Miiverse, the Digital Deluxe Program, Club Nintendo, and eShop, but the other services were soon restored. The eShop, on the other hand, is getting hammered, in what is the longest and most embarrassing outage for a major online store front since the PSN hack three years ago.

Why is the outage happening? Several reasons:

• An influx of lots of new systems sold/connected to the internet over the Christmas week (this includes both 3DS and Wii U, by the way)
  • The new 3DS update, which unifies 3DS online with Nintendo Network, putting more strain on the servers
  • The release of Pokemon Bank (now indefinitely delayed), which first caused the Japanese eShop to crash
  • The eShop sales going on right now

Nintendo has issued a statement and responded to this rather shameful outage:

We sincerely apologize for the connection problems in the Nintendo eShop. We understand this is taking longer than expected, but we can assure you that providing a solution is our top priority. We are determined to make sure everyone can enjoy all that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS have to offer. In an effort to manage the high volume of traffic and ultimately improve your experience, we are temporarily taking the Nintendo eShop services offline between the hours of 4 p.m. - 4 a.m. ET. Thank you so much for your continued patience. We will keep you updated.

For Japanese users, the eShop is only accessible from 6am-6pm local time. It will also be offline in Europe at corresponding times. This eShop outage will be global.

It's pretty pitiful, actually. Hopefully Nintendo gets its shit together. I just think that for people who just got a new Wii U or 3DS over Christmas, with one of their bundled games (which Nintendo insists on making digital), this must have made a pretty shitty impression.

SOURCE

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2  Edited By timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Please understand.....

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Nintendo don't seem to be doing things that great these days.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@gameofthering said:

Except for the actual making of games

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Did they take it down again? I was able to get on the Wii U shop since last night with no issued and the same for the 3DS eShop, I bought Ace Attorney and other things.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 timbers_WSU

@charizard1605 said:

@gameofthering said:

No. Not really. I do admit Super Mario (Not quite) 3D is a fucking awesome game. A little to easy though. The only reason I die is because it is hard to judge jumps on the edges and I never look at my shadow...but that is more my fault I think. What else does the Wii U have? Not a damn thing.

(I dont give a shit about handhelds and can't name 5 games on the 3DS)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@timbers_WSU said:

@charizard1605 said:

@gameofthering said:

No. Not really. I do admit Super Mario (Not quite) 3D is a fucking awesome game. A little to easy though. The only reason I die is because it is hard to judge jumps on the edges and I never look at my shadow...but that is more my fault I think. What else does the Wii U have? Not a damn thing.

See, your issue is not giving a shit about handhelds. That's your issue with not being able to name the lion's share of Nintendo's output.

Other great Nintendo developed games on Wii U? Well they literally only released one other internally developed game on Wii U this year, Pikmin 3, and that was pretty awesome.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@gameofthering said:

True, they still make good games. It's just their business decisions.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

I'm so surprised.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 timbers_WSU

@charizard1605 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

@charizard1605 said:

@gameofthering said:

See, your issue is not giving a shit about handhelds. That's your issue with not being able to name the lion's share of Nintendo's output.

Other great Nintendo developed games on Wii U? Well they literally only released one other internally developed game on Wii U this year, Pikmin 3, and that was pretty awesome.

My problem is I feel handhelds (Mainly Nintendo's) takes away from what they could be making for their console. I honestly feel the 3DS hurts the Wii U more than the PS3,4 and XBOX 360, one.

Would the Wii U be in this hole if the 3DS didn't exist? I doubt it. In my perfect world Nintendo would drop the handheld market and go console only and put their smaller titles on the phone. But it won't happen. I am sure Nintendo will make a new handheld, probably pretty soon that is only a small upgrade in power, and then release another console that is behind the PS4 with an added gimmick.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@timbers_WSU said:

@charizard1605 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

@charizard1605 said:

@gameofthering said:

My problem is I feel handhelds (Mainly Nintendo's) takes away from what they could be making for their console. I honestly feel the 3DS hurts the Wii U more than the PS3,4 and XBOX 360, one.

Would the Wii U be in this hole if the 3DS didn't exist? I doubt it. In my perfect world Nintendo would drop the handheld market and go console only and put their smaller titles on the phone. But it won't happen. I am sure Nintendo will make a new handheld, probably pretty soon that is only a small upgrade in power, and then release another console that is behind the PS4 with an added gimmick.

Whereas you are right in the basics- Nintendo's focus on 3DS hurt Wii U- I honestly think that if they had to drop one market, it should be the console market they should drop. They have always been ultra successful with their handhelds, their handhelds are now powerful enough to do justice to the vision of their games, and their handhelds also get third party support that their consoles lack.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Meh. Everyone experiences server troubles at some point. It's not a big deal if they come back up in a reasonable amount of time.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Really not a big deal.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#14 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41560 Posts

Wii owners have been affected too (it crashed on me when I tried to download a couple VC games, which I did get eventually) despite that console no longer being supported (and Wii Mini's can't be online anyway). It annoyed me quite a bit.

I guess the only good thing about this is that Nintendo might have sold quite a bit. Boy do they need it.

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts

This sux I was really looking forward to Pokebank and Poketransfer tool

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

It's funny because it's not really server strain as Nintendos servers are much larger than the Wii and DS's, and yet have less users on than both did. (although in a lot of games there was lag.

But hey whatever excuse people are willing to believe.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@timbers_WSU: lol pretty much....

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nintendoboy16

@charizard1605 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

@charizard1605 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

@charizard1605 said:

@gameofthering said:

Whereas you are right in the basics- Nintendo's focus on 3DS hurt Wii U- I honestly think that if they had to drop one market, it should be the console market they should drop. They have always been ultra successful with their handhelds, their handhelds are now powerful enough to do justice to the vision of their games, and their handhelds also get third party support that their consoles lack.

But how long would a handheld only Nintendo even last? They'll eventually come a time where even that will crack up. Just because they have been popular on the handheld, does not mean it will be that way forever. Fans of their consoles surely learned that lesson.

This is a case where I think Nintendo's hold in the handheld market is being way, WAY overestimated. No doubt it's their most successful market, but no way in hell can they survive on just that.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I'm mad about the Pokebank delay.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Even Nintendo themselves weren't expecting such strong holiday sales. Probably a lot of people got a 3ds/wii u for the holidays and are connecting to take a part of the deals on the e-shop.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

Good, I got my 3DS back from repair and couldn't get on the eShop and thought it was still broken somehow. Good to know it wasn't my 3DS's fault.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Well, figures. I shredded my debit card and I'm getting a new one, so I wouldn't be able to buy anything anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@DarkLink77 said:

Meh. Everyone experiences server troubles at some point. It's not a big deal if they come back up in a reasonable amount of time.

Yeah, but three days isn't exactly 'reasonable' by any standard

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#24 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

Well then, thank goodness I connected this morning during that oh-so-brief period of time where it worked. Was able to (finally) download Ace Attorney.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@charizard1605: Not embarassing, since no consumers are actively PAYING for the outage. The PSN disaster was just such a debacle because every paying user got screwed out of that(what was it, a month it was down?) time.

Sucks, though, about the digital bundle games, but I was under the impression that digi bundle games were preinstalled, not eshop codes.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

PSN went down for how long those few years ago?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@seanmcloughlin said:

A month

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@El_Zo1212o said:

@charizard1605: Not embarassing, since no consumers are actively PAYING for the outage. The PSN disaster was just such a debacle because every paying user got screwed out of that(what was it, a month it was down?) time.

Sucks, though, about the digital bundle games, but I was under the impression that digi bundle games were preinstalled, not eshop codes.

PSN+ existed after the one month PSN outage.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

I demand compensatition! I got a 3DS XL for Christmas and I had a $20 gift card for the eshop. I wanted to buy a couple of 3DS titles with it and create my Nintendo Network ID. until this happen. I sure hope Nintendo will gives us something to makeup for this, like how sony did when the PSN went out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@super600 said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

And? Nintendo Network will exist after this outage as well :/

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@super600 said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

You misread my post.If you were a PSN mermber when that hacking incident occured you did not have the option to pay for a better version of PSN.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@super600 said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

Perhaps he's implying that PS Plus came into effect after the outage, which is incorrect. PS Plus launched back in June 2010 whereas the PSN outage was in April 2011.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

I find the time stamp a bit, interesting..

Hmmm......

Well, it may not be bad that the Wii u's are infected, unless you use the Mii's alot, which then i guess if it's still down tomorrow that could be a problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@super600 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@super600 said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

You misread my post.If you were a PSN mermber when that hacking incident occured you did not have the option to pay for a better version of PSN.

Well that's incorrect, the hacking incident was in 2011, PSN+ was introduced in 2010.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

A month

Yeah so this is really no big deal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

A month

Yeah so this is really no big deal

It still is- I mean just because the competition's product may have sucked similarly at some time in the past doesn't mean yours should too.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

A month

try 3.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

so much for the move to digital & always online..our internet atm can't handle it. Guess I was lucky & got through manage to sync my Nintendo ID with 3DS ..had problems but after few tries got through.

@FireEmblem_Man said:

I demand compensatition! I got a 3DS XL for Christmas and I had a $20 gift card for the eshop. I wanted to buy a couple of 3DS titles with it and create my Nintendo Network ID. until this happen. I sure hope Nintendo will gives us something to makeup for this, like how sony did when the PSN went out.

lol self entitled much?...unless tis sarcasm. :P

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

This is a pretty crappy time to let your system go off line. Especially when you're fighting for mindshare on your struggling systems.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@superbuuman said:

so much for the move to digital & always online..our internet atm can't handle it. Guess I was lucky & got through manage to sync my Nintendo ID with 3DS ..had problems but after few tries got through.

@FireEmblem_Man said:

lol self entitled much?...unless tis sarcasm. :P

Well, got my 3DS on Christmas and as soon as I booted up, I was going to the eShop to setup my NNID, and I still haven't done it yet. Plus I also need to update Pokemon X

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

In case you didn't know, the eShop has been offline for three days now. To begin with, all of Nintendo Network went down, including update servers, Miiverse, the Digital Deluxe Program, Club Nintendo, and eShop, but the other services were soon restored. The eShop, on the other hand, is getting hammered, in what is the longest and most embarrassing outage for a major online store front since the PSN hack three years ago.

Why is the outage happening? Several reasons:

• An influx of lots of new systems sold/connected to the internet over the Christmas week (this includes both 3DS and Wii U, by the way)
  • The new 3DS update, which unifies 3DS online with Nintendo Network, putting more strain on the servers
  • The release of Pokemon Bank (now indefinitely delayed), which first caused the Japanese eShop to crash
  • The eShop sales going on right now

Nintendo has issued a statement and responded to this rather shameful outage:

We sincerely apologize for the connection problems in the Nintendo eShop. We understand this is taking longer than expected, but we can assure you that providing a solution is our top priority. We are determined to make sure everyone can enjoy all that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS have to offer. In an effort to manage the high volume of traffic and ultimately improve your experience, we are temporarily taking the Nintendo eShop services offline between the hours of 4 p.m. - 4 a.m. ET. Thank you so much for your continued patience. We will keep you updated.

For Japanese users, the eShop is only accessible from 6am-6pm local time. It will also be offline in Europe at corresponding times. This eShop outage will be global.

It's pretty pitiful, actually. Hopefully Nintendo gets its shit together. I just think that for people who just got a new Wii U or 3DS over Christmas, with one of their bundled games (which Nintendo insists on making digital), this must have made a pretty shitty impression.

SOURCE

It wasn't down for three days for me. Was only down yesterday for me and was fine the days before.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

@timbers_WSU said:

Please understand.....

First post nails it. All that needs saying really.

Well, at least Iwata has a lot of practice apologizing and trying to make us understand. I'd be more upset about this if there was actually stuff on the eshop that was worth buying instead on sitting unused in Nintendo's backlog vault.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It won't ever match the epic Sony PSN outage.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MirkoS77 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

Please understand.....

Well, at least Iwata has a lot of practice apologizing and trying to make us understand. I'd be more upset about this if there was actually stuff on the eshop that was worth buying instead on sitting unused in Nintendo's backlog vault.

There is in fact tons of great stuff worth buying on the eShop- games like Crimson Shroud, Ace Attorney Dual Destinies, Liberation Maiden, Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Mutant Mudds, Mighty Switch Force, just off the top of my head.

eShop=/=Virtual Console.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LegatoSkyheart

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

Please understand.....

There is in fact tons of great stuff worth buying on the eShop- games like Crimson Shroud, Ace Attorney Dual Destinies, Liberation Maiden, Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Mutant Mudds, Mighty Switch Force, just off the top of my head.

eShop=/=Virtual Console.

Ninten Haters don't buy Indie.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By nintendoboy16

Might as well share this because it seems related:

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=219604

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LegatoSkyheart

@nintendoboy16 said:

Guess they didn't hire anyone in time.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#48 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

At the very least, I hope the eShop sales are extended. This is nowhere near as bad as the PSN outage, where you could be getting billed for things from Russia.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By nintendoboy16

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Guess they didn't hire anyone in time.

Seems like it. That close to Christmas is also a horrible time to announce an open job application (apparently the application itself has been around since around Dec. 12th according to some comments on GN).

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@charizard1605 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

A month

try 3.

That's incorrect. Speaking specifically on how long PSN went down, the PSN outage lasted 23/24 days from April 20th, 2011 to May 15th, 2011.

Approximately a month, not three as you posted. I remember playing my backlog of SP games as well as playing a lot of Wii, PC, and 360 during that time frame.