Nintendo Switch Lacks A Web Browser Because It's A "Dedicated Video Game Platform"

• 123 results
Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

In terms of the applications available on Wii U, all of those are not necessarily transferred or installed. In principle, we think about which application needs to be improved or discontinued by looking at consumers' reactions. Mii characters can be used to represent a user profile, for instance, but are not required. Users also have the option to choose a profile picture from an included library of Nintendo character images. Mii characters can still be used in games if developers choose to include them.

As for Miiverse, while Miiverse will continue to be supported on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems, our approach with the Switch is to make greater use of other established, broadly used social platforms. For example, capturing gameplay screenshots to share on popular social networks, and social features such as voice chat are possible with smart devices through our app.

Concerning Mii Maker, on the Switch the software to create Mii characters is now located in System Settings, and no longer resides on the Home menu as a standalone application. You can also create a Mii character from the Profile screen. Making Mii characters is similar to the method used on past systems.

Next, whether Nintendo eShop is fully supported and functioning for Switch at launch, we can confirm that it will be possible to purchase and play downloaded software at launch, but we are not sharing further details at this time. And in terms of the Internet browser, since all of our efforts have gone toward making Switch an amazing dedicated video game platform, it will not support it, at least at launch.

-Tatsumi Kimishima [via time.com]

Announcements like these only confirm that the Switch is launching with less "out-of-the-box" features than the competition. First it was no streaming apps, now there's no web browser either. This is starting to worry me. Decisions like these do nothing but take away from the machine's value.

For the $300 Nintendo is expecting us to spend, the Switch should absolutely include those features. They are standard items in the industry. It makes no sense to not support them at that price.

I'm not going to lie, this is kinda killing my happy-buzz for the system...

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I actually welcome this browsers on nintendo consoles are mediocre

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Lacking streaming is a HUGE deal. Like, "how can they be so stupid" kind of thing. Lacking a web browser, not so much IMO. I'm one of the biggest Switch haters on here, and I don't see this as a big deal. I've literally never used the browser on any game console ever. So I wouldn't even know if any of them have quality web browsers or not, nor do I care.

That being said, it is another knock against Wii-U to lack something that everyone else has.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

It doesn't have a browser because the browsers on 3DS and Wii U were used for exploits and hacking the system. I will bet money a full fledged browser will be made available via the eShop later.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Micropixel

@charizard1605: That's a good point. However, I'm still not happy about no streaming. I'm not about about being without either, actually.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#6 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

No browser is no loss. Console browsers suck anyways.

I dont understand the complaints of no video streaming either. Im sure most of you probably already have around four devices you could do streaming on already. Why need another?

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

Soft launch of the system confirmed.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@Micropixel: who uses a gaming system to browse the web anyway? Just use ur cell phone or pc or laptop. I like that the focus is back on gaming.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

How many actually use Wii U browser?..lol..it was crap..most sites don't work properly including GS. A video game console primary function is to play games..the rest are secondary. :P

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Amen, focus on that gameplay first.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 2Chalupas

@svaubel said:

I dont understand the complaints of no video streaming either. Im sure most of you probably already have around four devices you could do streaming on already. Why need another?

Wouldn't it be more convenient to have it capable of streaming? Now most new TV's are smart TV's, so I guess it is somewhat less relevant than 5 years ago (when consoles were far and away the #1 devices for streaming Netflix). But I would think there are still lots of people that still want to use the game console as their primary streaming device when hooked up to the TV.

I've never understood why people would want to use their phones or table to stream shows, but for whatever reason this is a thing people actually do. So again, if you are selling them a tablet (which is all the Switch really is) why assume or expect them to have ANOTHER tablet handy to handle a very basic task? It makes no sense, quite frankly.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

As if its harddrive has space to waste on such things.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#13 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@2Chalupas said:
@svaubel said:

Wouldn't it be more convenient to have it capable of streaming? Now most new TV's are smart TV's, so I guess it is somewhat less relevant than 5 years ago (when consoles were far and away the #1 devices for streaming Netflix). But I would think there are still lots of people that still want to use the game console as their primary streaming device when hooked up to the TV.

I've never understood why people would want to use their phones or table to stream shows, but for whatever reason this is a thing people actually do. So again, if you are selling them a tablet (which is all the Switch really is) why assume or expect them to have ANOTHER tablet handy to handle a very basic task? It makes no sense, quite frankly.

Devices I have I could stream on: phone, PC, laptop, Xbone, PS4. Why do I need another? I dont even video stream anyways. I get that it's a convenience thing sure, but Nintendo has always been a gaming-first company.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

What a lot of B******t. Is like buying a car without a radio cause its all about driving. And what is it about people saying thats good cause they will focus in gaming. As if a piece of software will hinder the gaming capabilities or take nintendo time away from game developement. If that was the case which i highly doubt might as well gone with a 3rd party solution like firefox with some added nintendo touches

And yes it would have been nice to have multitask capabilities with a browser so when you need to search something for a game you are playing you dont have to take your phone out ( i mean even a $100 phone can do that )

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Micropixel

@vaidream45 said:

@Micropixel: who uses a gaming system to browse the web anyway? Just use ur cell phone or pc or laptop. I like that the focus is back on gaming.

Actually, I did get some use out of the Wii U's browser while trouble shooting the PC a couple of times. It was pretty convenient being able to bring the gamepad to my work station without running back and forth to the TV. Not to mention the screen size was a nice step above my phone at the time.

Not to imply that console browsers have been especially reliable in the past, but I've been happy to have them in those moments when I've needed them. It was a feature I was expecting to have with the Switch and it's a bit disappointing for me now that I'm finding out otherwise.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@vaidream45 said:

I get what you saying. But the concept of The Switch is being used as a portable device. Not being able to do basic non gaming stuff like streaming/browsing is unacceptable in 2017.

Then you bringing up cell phones adds to your flawed critical thinking. Alot of people say 3DS and Vita sales were lower than DS/PSP because of the rise in smartphones and tablets.

You would think Nintendo would rather users to always focus their free time on playing Switch. But creating distractions situations don't help. What I mean is that it odd Nintendo wants to users to use their phones for online gaming. The next distraction is if people want to quickly look up info on something, they would have to whip out a separate device instead of just using the one they were currently using.

So in both of those cases, you shouldn't be surprised if a user ends up leaving the Switch in favor of now focusing on their phones.

And based on the Ads featuring older/casuals gamers, those people in those commercial are millennials and that group are on their phones 24/7.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Lol, another feature gone. Its like they turned dumb as a console maker but most of the games they make are properly made.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

never use browser on other consoles either, not something I'll miss

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 2Chalupas

@svaubel said:
@2Chalupas said:
@svaubel said:

Devices I have I could stream on: phone, PC, laptop, Xbone, PS4. Why do I need another? I dont even video stream anyways. I get that it's a convenience thing sure, but Nintendo has always been a gaming-first company.

That's nice, but most people are going to want their home console be at least capable of streaming the main services. They aren't going to take "well, you have a laptop" or "you have a phone" as an answer. Of course not everyone will need to actually use that feature. Some, because they might have multiple consoles hooked up. Others because of Smart TV's. But the point is, it should be there for those that need or want it there.

Think if Apple removed Netflix app from the Ipad, and then gave the reason "well, don't you already have an Iphone for that?" Or "don't you already have a laptop that can run Netflix?". That is basically the argument you are giving, and it's ridiculous.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

I never felt comfortable using a web browser on a home console or handheld system compared to a desktop/laptop computer or smartphone. So many bad experiences from slow speed. I do not mind if Nintendo Switch misses a web browser.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

That's cute.it'll get a Web browser eventually.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vaidream45

@PSP107: I totally get what u are saying but all signs so far have pointed to Nintendo not competing against cell phones and rather trying to coexist with them. The whole voice chat on a cell phone app kinda points to this even though I'm not totally sold on the idea. But I think they just want people using the switch for gaming only accepting the fact that everyone has a smart phone in their pockets at all times.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#23 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The fact they want you to use a phone for Voice chat tells me they don't plan on ever adding in Internet things.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@vaidream45:"But I think they just want people using the switch for gaming only"

Since the N64, Nintendo's consoles haven't received the best support of titles releasing regularly.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Who gives a shit? Really? Who used the browser frequently on Wii U?

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vaidream45

@Litchie: for all we know this whole thing is being blown out of proportion anyway. By launch day they may have an internet browser and everyone will forget about it just like i do with my Nintendo handhelds. I use my phone instead cuz its just so much easier than exiting a game to go to the browser and fumbling through a crappy Nintendo internet browser.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

i get the sense that the real launch for the switch will be christmas this year. the march launch is more of a beta test where nintendo will get feedback from users. i would say that by christmas streaming services and stuff like a web browser will be available and the general experience of the OS will be improved. not to mention the game selection will be a lot better.

i just hope its a good browser. the browsers on consoles are just pants. the opera browser for the wii was decent at the time. maybe an updated version of that and also have it managed by opera (i.e. its basically the same version as the android version ot TV version and is updated as regularly).

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@iandizion713: Please please please explain how not having streaming or a browser helps Nintendo focus more on gameplay, I can't wait for this response.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I can't believe people are moaning over this lol.

I used my web browser on my XB1 once and hated it and will never use it again.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@vaidream45 said:

Eh...who use a cell PHONE to browse the web?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts

@aroxx_ab: Just about everyone nowadays.

Anyway, this is no loss. Everyone has a ton of browsing/streaming devices nowadays, and I think I've streamed Netflix on my WiiU exactly once.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#32 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

I'm trying to think of how much the Super Nintendo might have suffered from a lack of browser...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I would have preferred if they improved the web browser rather than removing it entirely. The Wii U web browser was quite good for a console browser but didn't hold up to other devices such as tablets, phones and, of course PCs and laptops.

Still, the feature isn't a big loss.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#34 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Celsius765 said:

I actually welcome this browsers on nintendo consoles are mediocre

On any console unless you use a keyboard.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I never used the browser on my 3DS and only used the browser of my WiiU to upload Screenshots I took. I don't really care if I don't have the browser if there's another way to get to my screenshots.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Less features is a good thing? No Netflix? Typical Nintendo...

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Got to love all the stupid reactions here from haters.

"On Launch" means exactly that.. on launch.

Nobody is saying the game developers are hindered by making these features, but like the typical hardware/firmware developers have OTHER priorities over a s*tty console browser... I mean my god cows brag about the Sony browser and its s*it... hell the games digital store has some of the worst design flaws I have seen.

Before PS4/Xbox 1 -- peasants be like "STREAMING IS FOR PC NERDS" ... now its not a focus on another console and suddenly "OMG STREAMING IS A MUST< NINTENDO DONT CARE".

your arguments are p*ss poor, please improve . thank you.

EDIT -

That being said, given its a tablet, it may have a pretty damn good browser when it comes around, by mobile standards at least.

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

@aroxx_ab:

Id venture to guess maybe 90% of this site has at one point or another.

Every time you see an empty quote that means somebody is using a mobile device on gamespot.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VFighter

@aroxx_ab: Who doesn't?!?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iandizion713

@vfighter said:

@iandizion713: Please please please explain how not having streaming or a browser helps Nintendo focus more on gameplay, I can't wait for this response.

Cause they can focus on updating and patching the UI, etc. Same thing they did on the last consoles. Why arent you on you alt account messing with me in OT? Been missing you.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Epak_

@iandizion713 said:
@vfighter said:

Cause they can focus on updating and patching the UI, etc. Same thing they did on the last consoles.

But Wii U had Netflix and a web browser.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I mean, how many people actually use console browsers these days?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iandizion713
@Epak_ said:
@iandizion713 said:
@vfighter said:

Cause they can focus on updating and patching the UI, etc. Same thing they did on the last consoles.

Later it did. They focused on other stuff first.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Epak_

@iandizion713 said:
@Epak_ said:
@iandizion713 said:
@vfighter said:

Later it did.

Netflix is a must for the Switch, I can wait and play Zelda while they get the apps up and running. A web browser would be nice too, I assume they can get a decent browser running with 4 gigs or RAM.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 VFighter

@iandizion713: You do realize that the people working on the system and UI/streaming/etc arent the same people working on the games right, right?!?

And I'm not sure why you think I ave an alt account but I only have this one.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

@Epak_: not at launch

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iandizion713

@vfighter:Cause you replied to me about talking to your alt account and you never explained why. Thats why i think. And Nintendo is one company. Theyll be working on everything related to Switch.

@Epak_: Theyll come later like usual. Hopefully we get Funimation too. But Zelda, UI, etc is most important right now.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

No loss at all. Almost every single person that will be buying the Switch has multiple devices for browsing the internet already.

And as for streaming and netflix and the like, again, it isnt needed here. I own 4 consoles, a phone, and a laptop that can access these features. It isnt a loss, just a reason for people to bitch about the Switch.

Even ignoring the fact that itll likely have all of these things within a few months of launch anyways. Keep bitching.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I don't use the web browser on my PS4 so this doesn't matter to me in the least that the NS doesn't have one.

I'm perfectly fine with the NS being completely offline as it's going to be the family console that will never connect to my wifi for anything other than firmware updates.