Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

@warm_gun:

Yeah the type of rooms vary, can be pretty tight at times. But of course it's never narrow halls and small doorways.

Just between the pace of the game and what's required of the player, shoulder swapping wouldn't make a difference. Encounters aren't all that layered, you walk into an aggro'd room and play out the evasion part of a bullet hell in third person. Getting the jump on enemies, lining up shots, not really a thing.

I understand your gripe about the lack of shoulder swap in some of these modern "tps" games, just don't see it as universally applicable. Seems you agree.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39253 Posts
@michael582 said:

@hardwenzen:

@hardwenzen said:
@michael582 said:
@hardwenzen said:

In presentation? Why not? All that it does is show us what wasn't possible not too long ago. Its not like those insanely well presented titles such as TLOU2 don't have any gameplay. In fact, its gameplay is better than the majority of third person shooters.

Sure, it can. Video games and cinema share some similarities. But they are fundamentally different mediums of art and entertainment. Video games have their own unique qualities and strengths such as interactivity, player agency and immersion. And that's where Nintendo and a lot games gravitate towards. Sony is more cinematic which make sense as they make movies as well. I'm happy both exist.

Both exist, but not on a Nintendo system, and that's a problem. On Sony systems, you get both, the gameplay focused titles from the likes of Fromsoft, and your high presentation Sony exclusives. Same can't be said about what's on offer from Nintendo, be it third or first party titles.

You're right for exclusive games. But neither does Sony. Sony also makes a specific type of game which is why it's best to have both. I mean, it's best to have it all. Though Microsoft has slipped ever since they introduced Kinect.

It doesn't matter because Sony gets all the third party titles, while Nintendo doesn't. You have your cinematic high profile titles from Sony, and more gameplay focused ones from third party. And lets not forget, its not like Sony doesn't have gameplay focused titles either. Returnal just came out, a new IP, and offers a ton of what you'd consider as pure gameplay.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#103 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7222 Posts

@hardwenzen: Returnal is trash. It’s Sonys worst flop ever made.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Returnal is trash. It’s Sonys worst flop ever made.

Don't make me post THE gif for you, bro.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: because Sony seems to benefit most from these types of games. Maybe they’re the best at them.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: They need to stick to making movies, they suck at gameplay.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: They need to stick to making movies, they suck at gameplay.

Any ideas why they win so many awards? I would like to hear your take tbh.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Cause critics love easy movie games. It’s easy to review and make money off of. The game basically plays itself.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2460 Posts
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

You're out of your mind.

That's some absolute garbage visibility. Imagine an enemy is walking just outside of the left part of a frame. One button press would have allowed the player to see them.

Its a third person game lol. Take cover, and turn the god damn camera which allows you to see way passed your character's vision. This is no big deal at all. This is not escape from tarkov or the og Ghost Recon and RainbowSix titles.

Take cover so that you can see? Wtf am I reading? Turning the camera will only help partially. It doesn't solve the problem like proper shoulder swapping. You have given no reason for it not to be there.

They could have allowed you to swap all the time by assigning it to R3, then moved the flashlight to L3 and assigned the points of interest that were on R3 to Triangle. Those points of interest where Ellie comments on something in the distance as a button prompt appears on the screen are so infrequent that they would not have interfered with the normal functions of Triangle.

You are not giving any excuses. I used shoulder swapping all the time in Metal Gear Solid V, Max Payne 3 and Control. It's not a feature that only tactical shooters benefit from.

You stick to a wall to see around the corner, angles that you wouldn't otherwise. Be it by taking cover while crouched or hugging a wall. The dead angles that you're referring to don't matter at all. If FoV was super tiny, it could be an issue peeking over/around obstacles without being able to shoulder swap, but that's not a problem in TLOU2. This feature is only important in tactical games, which this isn't.

If there's no wall beside the player? No object to take cover next to and then make the character turn a teeny bit so that the camera moves to the other side? What if I want to see what is around a corner without going right up to the wall? Man, I can't believe that's your defense for this clear design flaw. The field of view in regular movement is irrelevant. If Link in the Legend of Zelda stood way to one side of the picture with that large field of view the series has, it would still make visibility problematic when rotating the camera around right corners. There is no excuse not to have the option in The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, The Division, Watch Dogs and Red Dead Redemption 2. None. Zero.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Cause critics love easy movie games. It’s easy to review and make money off of. The game basically plays itself.

Nintendo titles are literally made for children. Next?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By hardwenzen
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:

Its a third person game lol. Take cover, and turn the god damn camera which allows you to see way passed your character's vision. This is no big deal at all. This is not escape from tarkov or the og Ghost Recon and RainbowSix titles.

Take cover so that you can see? Wtf am I reading? Turning the camera will only help partially. It doesn't solve the problem like proper shoulder swapping. You have given no reason for it not to be there.

They could have allowed you to swap all the time by assigning it to R3, then moved the flashlight to L3 and assigned the points of interest that were on R3 to Triangle. Those points of interest where Ellie comments on something in the distance as a button prompt appears on the screen are so infrequent that they would not have interfered with the normal functions of Triangle.

You are not giving any excuses. I used shoulder swapping all the time in Metal Gear Solid V, Max Payne 3 and Control. It's not a feature that only tactical shooters benefit from.

You stick to a wall to see around the corner, angles that you wouldn't otherwise. Be it by taking cover while crouched or hugging a wall. The dead angles that you're referring to don't matter at all. If FoV was super tiny, it could be an issue peeking over/around obstacles without being able to shoulder swap, but that's not a problem in TLOU2. This feature is only important in tactical games, which this isn't.

If there's no wall beside the player? No object to take cover next to and then make the character turn a teeny bit so that the camera moves to the other side? What if I want to see what is around a corner without going right up to the wall? Man, I can't believe that's your defense for this clear design flaw. The field of view in regular movement is irrelevant. If Link in the Legend of Zelda stood way to one side of the picture with that large field of view the series has, it would still make visibility problematic when rotating the camera around right corners. There is no excuse not to have the option in The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, The Division, Watch Dogs and Red Dead Redemption 2. None. Zero.

Its not my defense. You nitpick as always, and i am yet again quoting your ass on your nitpicks.

Shoulder swap is a semi crucial feature for some games/genres. TLOU is not that game. If its in TLOU3, great. If it isn't, i wouldn't even pay attention to it because the amount of angles you're able to peek in third person is already op af compared to first person. Its enough as is.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Warm_Gun

@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:

Its not my defense. You nitpick as always, and i am yet again quoting your ass on your nitpicks.

Shoulder swap is a semi crucial feature for some games/genres. TLOU is not that game. If its in TLOU3, great. If it isn't, i wouldn't even pay attention to it because the amount of angles you're able to peek in third person is already op af compared to first person. Its enough as is.

I think I've given you some pretty solid reasons for why it's not merely a nitpick. If you don't have a problem with it, then I can't convince you. But I bet watching you play for a couple of minutes would reveal you actually are blinded because of it much of the time. You just don't think about it. Like smelling shit for so long that it becomes normal.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Warm_Gun

It's annoying in Horizon as well, even though the environments are mostly open. Alloy is normally on the left side and, depending on the environment, the camera sometimes puts her on the right. There is no way to place her back on the left except by waiting for the game to hopefully do it on its own or by aiming with the bow or the special sight. You go near walls often enough that it becomes annoying.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Mesome713

@warm_gun: That’s Sony for you, shitty at gameplay design.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 hardwenzen

@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@warm_gun said:

I think I've given you some pretty solid reasons for why it's not merely a nitpick. If you don't have a problem with it, then I can't convince you. But I bet watching you play for a couple of minutes would reveal you actually are blinded because of it much of the time. You just don't think about it. Like smelling shit for so long that it becomes normal.

Not the case🤷‍♂️

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

As I’ve aged, I’ve found myself distancing in agreement from Miyamoto’s design philosophies, even though I’d agree they align to what most objectively qualifies as good “game” design over what Sony produces.

Now older, I’m not so interested in playing with toys as I am in finding meaningful experiences that linger with me and give me broader appreciations that extend past what the strictly mechanical can afford. Such as narrative, characterization, human truths. Things that I believe cannot be achieved as potently in effectiveness unless there is some degree of concession to player agency in the appeal to cinematic tendencies that are able to reinforce these aspects more. Therefor, mechanics have become somewhat secondary in importance to my enjoyment of the medium; they are a means to an end.

I don’t mind the fusion of these two mediums’ strengths if executed competently, and find Sony to walk this line, for the most part, fairly well. Nintendo is a bit more beholden to mechanics than is to my preference, but I realize that subjective predilection doesn’t change the fact that in metrics of what defines better games aligned to the strengths of the medium, they are masters of their craft and nigh impossible to beat when at their best.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#117 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 712 Posts

@hardwenzen: you stupid as hell aaaaa

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-shows-motion-capture-process-for-breath-of-the-wild-sequel-development-tidbits-from-other-games-too.157689/

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 hardwenzen

@Alexander2cents said:

@hardwenzen: you stupid as hell aaaaa

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-shows-motion-capture-process-for-breath-of-the-wild-sequel-development-tidbits-from-other-games-too.157689/

Like i will believe you that Nintendo has discovered motion capture. If zelda was mo-capped, Link wouldn't be running like he has a load in his pants. The animations in all Nintendo titles are really close to what we had on the N64. And that's fine because Nintendo doesn't care about anything else but gameplay itself, that's why all their latest titles get a 6 or a 7 out of 10. Gameplay focused company btw.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#120 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 712 Posts

This so much. Im so tired of hearing about Uncharted being so touching and mind blowing yet its the most basic bare bones platformer shooter ever.

Closet graphics whores are obsessed with these games i simply have trouble getting into.

I do admit. I love me an fmv game on the Sega 💿

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22787 Posts

He doesn't even need to tell us, we see it in his game design. The players interactive experience is what makes games legendary. It's the only metric that matters.